• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: 10 Anime to Watch with your Friends and Family this Holiday Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
ha food wars cracks me up sorry but i think not. definitely a good show but the foodgasms would be plenty awkward. Deathnote, skullman, monster or psycho pass heck even even fate zero(though the first scene with zouken might come off a tad bit too strong) would be a much better choice, they have a second 'philosophical' nature to them that should hook an older audience.

umaru's a nice one but i'd go with is the order a rabbit or chokoto sister for a little sis.

for the weird uncle show him Prison school(assuming he can tolerate it). ya can't not bust your gut over prison school.

yona is a good choice but i'd prefer Tiger and Bunny for its humor, satire, and action while still having 2 handsome leads
Mints97

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
..hey, why didn't Grandma make it onto this list? O_o
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
I got my cousins started with Black Cat not that long ago but as for the weird uncle I would suggest Yuri Kuma Arashi it doesn't get more weird then that. Also all of those shows except Yu-Gi-Oh are not available in English in order to get your family off the ground with Anime the first show they watch has to be in there native language or else there just going to be turned off to the whole thing. Rolling Eyes
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unfortunately my family is a little too straight laced to be able to enjoy anime. I got them to sit through AoT finally, and they started Death Note, but unless I put it on for them, they aren't going to watch any more.

This is why there need to be more anime films. I can get my parents and siblings to sit down and watch a movie, but it's pretty much impossible for them to watch anything that is more than a couple hours of time investment.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Did you even watch the series? It's one of the very very few series centered around a little sister that clearly isn't about the brother's attempts to lay her.

Yes, that's why I said you should instead watch one of the many that are about that. I'm glad you got the joke!
Soliia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
I got my mom to watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Air, and several Ghibli movies. She tends to like the feelsy stuff.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
Probably more normal stuff is a better idea for families in general, like Death Note or Ghibli. People seem much more open to 3D films in general too, my dad wouldn't give drawn anime a chance but he very happily watched the 3D Harlock and Appleseed.

No one will watch the newer Yugioh dubs though, even my kid brother complains about the voice work lol.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Well at least ANN got paid for this one.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Laughing Umaru-chan? Really? Am I wanting to show my younger sister a show where the protag, who is a younger sister, is a horrible human being?

And...well, while I really loved Kids on the Slope, I can't see that being a good one to watch with a crush. I mean, a series where the romance leads nowhere? No thank you. Razz
VegetaEx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
Seen almost all of them, will watch Himouto with my BFF next again Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Or I can let my family have interests of their own and not insist they have mine.

What if Grandpa fought the Japanese in WWII and still hasn't forgiven them for Pearl Harbor? Let it go, Gramps. Have this copy of Barefoot Gen.

No, Snowball, it's pronounced "Yoon-kers". It says it right on the cover! Stop trying to eat it.

Uncle, no, Obama didn't cause anime to get bad. Shut up and watch Code Geass with your C.C. hug pillow, and grouse about the gays stealing your guns later.

Happy holidays!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
From today onwards this advertisement is illegal. Maybe ANN servers should be placed on Ireland?
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle
I do not think that that applies here because the advertorials are clearly labeled and you can tell that they are advertisements before you click on them.
If not for that then they probably would qualify as native advertising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Even though to be honest it's cringey watching these anime because of the deep subjects they delve into, Attack on Titan, Death Note or Evangelion are your best bets for family members. Also One Punch Man, Durarara!! or classic Dragon Ball. All of these are great.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm the weird uncle in my family. I have 13 nieces and nephews, never married and not had a significant other for decades. One of my nephews re-introduced me to anime. He has since moved on in his life and left the field to me.

I'm not interested in panty anime.

So, what did my nephew suggest to his weird uncle? (Remember, this was 8 years ago.)

His recommendations were Neon Genesis Evangelion (didn't like), Ghost in the Shell (liked, especially 2nd Gig) and Monster (liked). He also gave me a heap of his fansubs. When I began to explore them I fell in love with Noir.

Hardly a panty shot in sight. Well... Kusanagi's attire was a hurdle to overcome, not a selling point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4