• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony Plans PS2 Emulation For PS4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Disc Based BC!

Sony!

PLS!

Crying or Very sad
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The PS3 originally had tech in it that let you play PS2 and PS1 games on it. The PS4 doesn't and never had it.

In otherwords they just can't enable the system to play disc based games on it if it doesn't have the necessary hardware under the hood to enable it.

If that were true, video game emulators wouldn't work on PCs. What you're describing is how the backwards-compatible PS3 played PS2 games by means of actually having PS2 components in lieu of emulation. Games added as PS2 classics, however, were emulated versions of the games coded specifically to run without issue on PS3 hardware.

Case in point, all game emulators on PC are software-based. If you can download and install PCSX2 on your pc, put a PS2 game in your DVD drive and play it off the disc, there's no reason it wouldn't work via similar software on the PS4. The PS2 Star Wars games that come with the PS4 bundle are running on emulation software that could very easily be downloaded and integrated into the system with an update if Sony chooses to do so.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Drunk Samurai wrote:

Gamestop doesn't sell PS2 consoles anymore

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/playstation-2?nav=28-xu0,138b-1d9

Drunk Samurai wrote:
you'd most likely get scammed somehow on Ebay.

Unless you're buying the first PS2 system you think you see and are buying from a non rated seller not highly likely to happen.

Pokenatic wrote:
Why spend that much on a new PS2 if the PS4 can play most PS2 games as well for only $299?

Ummm if you buy a PS4 you're going to be spending about $350 plus tax mostly to play PS2 games on it. Some of which may not even work which is why buying a PS2 would be the better (and cheaper) alternative.

AsherFischell wrote:

If that were true, video game emulators wouldn't work on PCs.

Cept we're not talking about PC's. And some emulators for the record either don't work very well, work at all, or work on most PCs.

AsherFischell wrote:
The PS2 Star Wars games that come with the PS4 bundle are running on emulation software that could very easily be downloaded and integrated into the system with an update if Sony chooses to do so.

Those Star Wars games are digital titles though not physical discs that you're putting into the system and playing and which is what many people wanted out of this.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
What Sony is talking about sounds to me like software emulation. Unless the PS 4 can't read DVDs, there is no reason, in terms of hardware, that it can't play a DVD that has a PS 2 game encoded on it.

Back in the old days, PC meant "IBM Personal Computer" or a clone of the IBM PC. If you had, say, an Apple computer (which was NOT a PC), it was unable to even read a disk created on/for an IBM PC. At the time (yes, I'm that old), I had an Amiga and, if you spent a load of money for a hardware emulator, you could then play PC games on your Amiga -- but not without one.

So far as I'm aware, the PS 2 can read standard CDs and DVDs. The PS 4 can also read standard DVDs. What the PS 4 can't currently do is understand the software code written on the DVD; it requires an emulator -- a software emulator -- to do that. There is no need for a hardware emulator because the PS 4 can read a standard DVD.

All that said, I don't know, based on what little Sony has said so far, if they intend to create a software emulator that will allow the PS 4 to understand software data from a PS 2 DVD. They *may* make it so that only digital downloads will be processed for emulation. I would hope they'd make it so that even the disk-based data could be emulated, but I don't think Sony has said enough to come to any sort of conclusion on that yet.

Frankly, I think it is in Sony's best interest, from a PR prospective, to make the PS 4 as backwards compatible as possible. This is especially true now that MS has gone for backwards compatibility for some of its 360 games. Sony has a chance to totally show up Microsoft on this front, and I think it would encourage more people to upgrade to the PS 4 -- I know I'd think pretty seriously about doing so if the PS 4 had a lot of backwards compatibility with the games from previous systems.
ChadKumada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
I will definitely buy a PS4 if they get it to play PS2 disks. I already repurchased a bunch of PS2 games on my PS4. I'm not going to do it again on the PS4. Well, I suppose if they let me buy the games I already have on my PS3 for a token price (like getting a Wii U emulated game that you already ha on Wii), that would be okay. Being able to save your progress at any time might make it worth spending a little more $ on it.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
I hope they bring over DQ 8 this time. I loved the story and zany humour, but I never got around to finishing it. Sad
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
In otherwords they just can't enable the system to play disc based games on it if it doesn't have the necessary hardware under the hood to enable it.

If it's a software emulator, there's no difference whether the console gets the game data through disc or download. No extra hardware needed for PS4, even for physical PS2 discs...

Quote:
True but generally when you have something that breaks you typically replace it, not replace it with something that's a great deal more expensive to do the same thing and occasionally not as good.

However it's also true if you're going to be playing the latest games on PS4, it's a plus you don't need to buy another console to play your old games should the old one break. And it's not like the feature is going to up the price of the PS4...

Quote:
Ummm if you buy a PS4 you're going to be spending about $350 plus tax mostly to play PS2 games on it. Some of which may not even work which is why buying a PS2 would be the better (and cheaper) alternative.

Again, you're assuming someone wouldn't want to play the latest generation games. Why, for what reason?...

Quote:
Cept we're not talking about PC's. And some emulators for the record either don't work very well, work at all, or work on most PCs.

I can assure you, PCSX2 works very well. I'm already replaying several of my old rpgs from the PS2 era...

And from technical perspective, there's nothing preventing a PS4 from having a similar emulator, not from computing power, hardware or architecture. Especially if it's SONY itself creating it, when you think they have the blueprints to the original and don't need to fumble in the dark to get things working.

By the way, BadNewsBlues, I see you have a lot of Nintendo-related posts made on this forum. Want me to do a more detailed scrutiny of them, considering and in relation to your many posts on this very thread?...
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Those Star Wars games are digital titles though not physical discs that you're putting into the system and playing and which is what many people wanted out of this.

For all intents and purposes, modern consoles are PCs, so any difference in coding for an emulator is irrelevant. And for the most part, PCSX2 is practically the only PS2 emulator that anyone uses and it works well across a very wide spectrum of setups.

And for the Star Wars games, that's just so far. The differences between how those games run versus how PS2 classics on PS3 ran is set up in a noticeably different way. Those releases don't necessarily mean that Sony won't allow disc-based backwards-compatibility, they only mean that it hasn't been announced as of yet. Just because it didn't happen immediately doesn't mean it's not going to happen at all.

I think it's more likely that Sony will do the same thing that Microsoft did with original Xbox games on the 360 and only allow specific games to be played after they're sufficiently tested and the emulator is tweaked for better stability.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote
This could be pretty interesting. I'm on the fence about getting a PS4. This might be what drives me to actually get one. I have never owned a PlayStation system, and it'd be neat to have access to as wide a library as possible should I get one.

Hikarunu wrote:
ragz wrote:
If they get around to PS3 emulation I'd buy PS4 the very second.
Why the heck you want PS3 emulation? Just buy the PS3 itself, it is still a currently game console that still alive along with successor PS4.

Because it costs more to get both systems. A LOT more, I'd guess.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Drunk Samurai wrote:
you'd most likely get scammed somehow on Ebay.

Unless you're buying the first PS2 system you think you see and are buying from a non rated seller not highly likely to happen.

I don't know how it is with video games, but I know that in some other hobbies, eBay is generally not used by the core fans because you wind up paying more on eBay than you would buying directly via some other source. That is, if you use eBay, you risk not getting the best deal than if you kept searching.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
And what is that tech that they took out of the PS3? I thought the reason they stopped the backwards compatibility for PS2 games on the PS3 was that running a PS2 emulator was too processing intensive since it's basically running one OS in another one.

The original Japanese PS3 had two PS2 chips inside, the actual PS2 CPU (Emotion Engine) and the GPU (Graphics Synthesizer). Overseas models only had the latter, using software emulation of the Emotion Engine (so had reduced compatibility). Later models (the fat ones with only 2 USB ports and all the slimmer units) had neither.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mehh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

Can the PS4 not play DVDs or something because I don't quite see why they'd have to tack on extra hardware for the PS2 games that are on DVDs, although I'd get why it wouldn't be able to play the ones that uses CDs instead.

The PS3 originally had tech in it that let you play PS2 and PS1 games on it. The PS4 doesn't and never had it.

Drunk Samurai wrote:

Anyway this would only be useful if it let us play physical PS2 games and not have to buy the games all over again digitally.

If you already have your discs and a means to play them you don't have to buy them digitally don't know why people think this.

I'm pretty sure the PS4 could play physical discs with software emulation, I don't see why it'd have issues, there's no extra hardware needed to read off the discs compared to digital downloads, and the digital downloads are unedited.
Sony definitely wont allow it though. The reason is simple, since software emulation is so much more buggy and complex to implement, Sony will want as tight of a control over the supported games list as possible - making it digital only is the best way to keep control over what games can be run and what can't, allowing them to maintain quality, and ensure supported games run properly without bugs.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
I need my Front Mission 4 and 5 fix and this could do it if SE releases the games like they did with the PS1 games, the JP store has all 3 numbered Front Mission games and Alternative. I also wouldn't mind hackers to break the system apart for PS4 CFW as well, just in case SE does not release Front Mission 4 and 5 in Japan.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
mehh wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

Can the PS4 not play DVDs or something because I don't quite see why they'd have to tack on extra hardware for the PS2 games that are on DVDs, although I'd get why it wouldn't be able to play the ones that uses CDs instead.

Drunk Samurai wrote:

Anyway this would only be useful if it let us play physical PS2 games and not have to buy the games all over again digitally.

If you already have your discs and a means to play them you don't have to buy them digitally don't know why people think this.

I'm pretty sure the PS4 could play physical discs with software emulation, I don't see why it'd have issues, there's no extra hardware needed to read off the discs compared to digital downloads, and the digital downloads are unedited.
Sony definitely wont allow it though. The reason is simple, since software emulation is so much more buggy and complex to implement, Sony will want as tight of a control over the supported games list as possible - making it digital only is the best way to keep control over what games can be run and what can't, allowing them to maintain quality, and ensure supported games run properly without bugs.

If Sony does it that way then they should make it so that if you can prove you own a PS2 game you should be allowed to download the digital versions for free.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

However it's also true if you're going to be playing the latest games on PS4,

Blanchimont wrote:

Again, you're assuming someone wouldn't want to play the latest generation games. Why, for what reason?...

Presumably because I hear people who have yet to buy a PS4 or One constantly mention that they need more than just ports of games also on PS3, 360, One, or PC and the rare exclusive for the system, before they'll commit.

Blanchimont wrote:

And from technical perspective, there's nothing preventing a PS4 from having a similar emulator,

Oh that I'm not disagreeing on it's the whole deal with the discs I'm skeptical on but if they can somehow pull that off similar to what Microsoft has on the One that'd be good especially since the PS2 classics line is considerably lacking.

Blanchimont wrote:

By the way, BadNewsBlues, I see you have a lot of Nintendo-related posts made on this forum. Want me to do a more detailed scrutiny of them, considering and in relation to your many posts on this very thread?...

Why not?
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Let's face it; the best option is to probably just download an emulator online. We all know that it will be digital only and only the most popular games will be available. As much as some people don't like to admit it, an emulator such ePSXe is the best option as they can play both physical disc and digital files. Plus you can pretty much download any game you want, or you could just buy physical copies from ebay or wherever if that's what you prefer. I don't see the point in this unless sony release a good amount of games and maybe with hd rendering. Otherwise, it's just going to be inferior to the bootleg emulators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4