• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Patlabor Dispute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

zeo1fan wrote:
That doesn't really mean anything. You could have bad taste. If someone told me, "I hated Pan's Labyrinth, but loved Top Gun; so that should tell you how good Top Gun is." Then I'd just think that which they prioritized in a story was out of whack, as opposed to thinking; "His standards are so strict that he must recognize true quality when it comes along."

That's exactly why I said to "take from that what you will". I was mostly mentioning it in response to the implication that people rate it so highly because it takes itself so seriously, though I guess it really didn't end up coming out the way I wanted it to. Stupid Monday morning.

I'm sorry. Mad Wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

In most shows - or, at the very least, most shows that aren't "Dear Brother" - Yuuzuki's Wish would usually be presented as one of the most screwed up parts of the story (or, in an unfortunately increasing number of stories, presented as fanservice). In WIXOSS, Yuuzuki's feelings are just a drop in the bucket compared to the thoughts and emotions running through the heads of the rest of the season one Selectors.

I've always maintained that Mari Okada put a lot of thought into the order she introduces each of the Selectors. In Yuuzuki's case, Okada specifically choose to introduce Yuuzuki first because she's - at least in retrospect - Ruko's least mentally-unbalanced opponent. It's almost as if Okada uses Yuuzuki's Wish as a baseline for the show's craziness... a deliberate statement that the show's starting with incest and it's all downhill from here.

not necessarily. it didn't actually started with the whole brother sister love until ep 9. and just because a series does have a storyline featuring blood related incest doesn't necessarily mean it will go completely downhill from here.

sure when it came to the romance of the kazuki and yuuzuki,its completely inferior compared to other sibling romance series like angel sanctuary and koi kaze, but at least it wasn't completely rushed.

and you do have to give okada & the committee credit for even going this route cause its as i said, she could have easily have made those two step siblings and no one would technically give a damn, but neither she nor the series production committee didn't do that.

Also of course its guilty pleasure fanservice. if it didn't, the series would have unfortunately been liked by only fans of the card game and the die hardcore doujin otakus.

sure its not ridiculously popular as YGO or Cardfight Vanguard , but it wouldnt give much weight to fans if it didn't storylines like the love for the siblings , Hitoe's development out of her shell or the bratty bitch akira (which i have to predict is the least liked character other than Ilona's LRIG)

However more fans are mainly interested in the storyline and possible connection of Ruko and Ilona's relationship.not to mention the origins of tama and the "death game" itself since its pretty clear that she does have a connection to it.

that there is technically the series main cream of the crop. not the two siblings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I'm sorry. Mad Wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything.

Oh, I didn't think you were. Actually, your post helped me realize that the point I was trying to make (i.e. "the entire reason why Wixoss does better than other card game shows is that it's marketed towards people with extremely specific ideas about what makes an anime amazing... and in order to successfully pull that off, it basically had to alienate people who might have 10 or 20 shows rated at 10/10") was not at all what I ended up writing (which was essentially, "you should watch this show, because I thought it was a 10/10, and I'm the sort of person who gave Madoka, Cowboy Bebop, and My Neighbor Totoro 8/10 because I demand absolute perfection in my cartoon shows").
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I spy Karen and Mina pillows in that first photo. *we wants them* Very nice, very impressive collection! Smile
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I stream anime and usually buy the ones that I enjoyed and have a desire to rewatch. My internet connection can be iffy at times, and my computer has some issues at times. With a dvd or blu ray I can also watch the anime in whatever room I want without worrying about crashing, signal loss or buffering. Plus, I just like admiring my physical collection. Price is a big factor in my purchases. If it is a series I really liked, I will consider getting a special edition if it is available, as long as it isn't too expensive and if it comes with extras I like. That said I only have a few collectors editions, plus a couple Japanese imported ones.

I may be in the minority, but I am halfway through Patlabor 3 (the Pioneer release though) and so far I like it a lot more than the other Patlabor films. Plus, I love Madhouse and they are in top form for this film.

Oh, and I also loved Wixoss. Probably one of my favorite series from last year, like a mix of Madoka and Yugioh, only I enjoyed this one a lot more than Madoka. The soundtrack is amazing as well. Funi's release will make an excellent birthday present for me.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
That doesn't really mean anything. You could have bad taste. If someone told me, "I hated Pan's Labyrinth, but loved Top Gun; so that should tell you how good Top Gun is." Then I'd just think that which they prioritized in a story was out of whack, as opposed to thinking; "His standards are so strict that he must recognize true quality when it comes along."

Oi, watch it there. Razz

As far as the actual packaging side of home video goes, for me, quantity nearly always wins over quality. There are very few times that I've gone out of my way to buy a limited or special edition of something, and most of those were when I could get that version for the same price or even cheaper than the standard edition. Not only do I view most limited editions as a waste of money, but even worse, as a waste of space. My collection is hefty enough now that I have to consider just where I'm going to stash whatever I buy next, and so why would I want to go back to the bad old days of needing six or seven DVD case-widths to house a whole series, when now I can get by with one or two at the most? For me, owning the actual disks themselves is the main point, and everything else is just window dressing. So long as it keeps my disks safe, I'm not really picky about what it looks life. (Except stack packs. Those suck.)

And why not streaming? Because streams can be and are pulled at the drop of a hat when the streaming licenses expire. If I want to rewatch a show I really enjoyed a few years down the line, there's absolutely no guarantee that it'll still be hosted by a particular streaming service. I'd sure as hell never pay anything for a service like that, so legally speaking, my only option is to buy the show. Plus legal releases still have at least one perk over rips or fansubs: I can just pop them into the family room BD player and get going without needing to figure out any sort of crazy HTPC or home network streaming setups.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With streaming video becoming more and more ubiquitous, does it take a physical extra to make you consider buying a show on physical media?

Nope.

Streaming is great, as it helps me "try before I buy", especially since streaming is a cheaper "sacrifice", when compared to doing blind buys for anime on disc.

I don't need anything extra if I have deemed a series worthy. If I grab the physical release, it is because I enjoyed the show so much, that I know that I will be re-watching it and I want to own the show. I want it on my shelf, and I want to show that little extra support for that one show in general.

Yes, I can easily stream a show, and sometimes ones I do like aren't ones I want to own. So, they can stay up in the cloud...and maybe I'll re-watch it some day. Or maybe it'll disappear, but then I can always turn to my discs and re-watch something else. And, the ones that I own also end up being ones that I share with friends.

Mind you, not many of my friends are as interested in anime as I am. But, it's nice to have the option to sit with others and watch an anime. Be it at their place or mine...it's easier to pop in a disc than having to jump online and stream it...wait for buffering (depending on the connection) etc. And, I'm not going to be getting others to watch anime on my laptop with me. Laughing

Strangely enough (or maybe it isn't strange at all), I've found that I've enjoyed shows a lot more when watching them with friends, than I did alone. One example is Okami-san and Her Seven Companions. Bought the show after having seen the stream, but found it a lot funnier when I watched it with friends.

It's also nice to be able to talk about what we've just seen, right off the bat. Laughing

jr0904 wrote:
Cause considering when it came to relationships like this, their either stepsiblings like in Oreimo

Wait...what? I don't remember them ever establishing that they were step-siblings...I must've missed that...

Last edited by Ali07 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
For collectors editions, a lot of them just come with crap. I don't need a bunch of trinkets I'll forget I have. Kyoukai no Kanata's collectors edition is super guilty of this. I do enjoy a good artbook, but even then there is only so much. So for me it's two things: 1- would I actually use the extras. If it comes with a soundtrack, are they all a bunch of forgettable background songs, or is it like Blazblue where each song stands on it's own? Is the art really notable, and will I look at the artbook multiple times? Seriously, I hate when they go "it comes with a super nice box!" Who cares? It's a box. I'm buying an anime I love, I'm not a collector of fine boxes, I'm a collector of anime. Also it just has to be a good value. If a series is like $10 more for a nice artbook and I'm a big fan of the series then why not, but for more expensive upgrades all depend on what is included. Would I buy the extras individually, and if so is the value I would pay greater than what the price of the whole set is? If not then it's not worth it. I mean I love Fullmetal Alchemist, but the collectors set that was announced is almost as expensive as a WiiU and comes with a whole lot of misc bloat.

I used to get more, but really I just don't see the point anymore. It seems like a lot of bloat. I also think it's ridiculous when some sets have just a different box and maybe some small book and expect $40 more for it. When I can buy like 30 games on steam for the price of your series, it better come with some damn good stuff. I seriously don't like how bloated the prices to buy anime are becoming, and it's being justified by throwing in super cheap extras that are forgettable at best and cost a nickle to produce.

I do really enjoy my NISA sets with the nice display boxes; they were about the price of a regular set, make a great display piece, and in the case of Katanagatari have amazing art and some neat translation notes, which you don't see enough of nowadays. But it was also only slightly more than a regular bluray set of comparable length.

Really, at the end of the day I'm a fan of anime, not keychains and artcards that I'll throw back in the box and forget about. Give me the bluray so I can watch the anime and I'm a happy camper, and even then the series has to be something special. Everything else has to make a good case to justify the pricetag.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I much prefer the collector's editions that Sentai has begun doing (as well as NISA's CE of A Lull in the Sea, not sure if their other CEs are like that) as they are designed like the old DVD artboxes in size which I appreciate. I've heard people complain that they should be reduced to BR-size which irks me, why would you want the art on the box to be smaller, these things are designed to look good on your shelf. If space is an issue then the normal edition is available.

Not that I mind the BR-sized artboxes from FUNimation and Viz seeing as they don't really add to the cost that much, but I much prefer the artboxes of old and I'm happy that Sentai is delivering on that. I've got the CEs for Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions and No Game, No Life, and have the ones for Beyond the Boundary and Persona 4 ordered. The artbox is the main draw but artbooks and/or OSTs are definitely appreciated. Even certain physical items (like Chie's buttons with the Persona 4 one) are must-gets for me.

As for the show itself, it doesn't have to be the best of the best for me to warrant grabbing the nicest edition (especially since my favorite anime ever, Cowboy Bebop, I missed out on getting the CE for it and trying to get it now is wallet murder), but as long as the show was really good and memorable enough for me.

I'm not saying EVERY item in a CE has been worthwhile, but I do wonder why some people don't understand why some fans like having physical items connected to a show they enjoy. It's why some fans have a ton of anime figures. They love the shows and they like owning things connected to the show. It's really not hard to understand that mentality.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Wingbeats wrote:
Huh, I had no idea season 3 and 4 had blu rays! Neat Very Happy -adds to wish list- Now if only season 1 and 2 would get blu rays, then life would be complete!

As far I can tell, seasons 1 & 2 haven't been released on Bluray in Japan either.

Actually the first two seasons of Natsume Yuujinchou were released as a BD box set in Japan in 2011. I'm guessing it's because the Japanese and NA release dates were kind of close that NISA wasn't able to license those seasons for BD release. I'm hoping that they'll re-release it on BD somewhere down the line so I can triple dip. Anime hyper Natsume's my all-time favorite series.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
I buy collectors / LE sets once in a while depending on three things
1. price
2. physical & digital extras
3. title

price is always Always a big thing with me, if the LE set or Collectors set is affordable then I'll consider it, if the price is either too high or does not warrant the extras you get (example 150+ price tag physical extras a cheap ten to twenty page art book or mini album)

Physical and Digital extras range from either sound tracks, art cards, or little extras like pins/ art books/ etc.
titles always vary since not every title under the sun gets a LE or collectors edition and usually the ones that do either have to be something that has caught my interest, something I thoroughly enjoyed, or something that meets the first two requirements as well

on a side note most I know about Shin Getter Robo Vs. Neo Getter robo is that it supposedly takes place after Getter Robo Go, is an alternate beginning story for Getter Robo Go, or in between one of the old PS1 games, Neo Getter Robo is pretty much a renamed recolored version of Getter Robo Go which apparently didn't do so well in ratings (don't really know didn't see it personally but would like to eventually with the other two classic Getter Robo anime titles) other then that not much else it's four episodes long and worth watching if your a fan of giant mecha and classic anime but then again finding a group of giant mecha anime fans in the US that's larger then 10 in one city that knows of giant mecha other then gundam is pretty hard, well at least where I live I found it hard to find more then five. Anyway the first episode starts off with a test run of the Neo Getter jets and mentioning of preparations for an oncoming threat from an invasive force old or new not mentioned right away till they find the third person to become a test pilot when the previous test pilot died in mid flight
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
So...many...figures, just wow. :0

I have yet to really own any collector's editions of anime series. All the CEs I own are for games.
xzy123

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
no love to food war wow
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm a very big collector and prefer to get the most premium release possible so if a collectors/limited/special edition exists I am almost guaranteed to get it over a standard release.

On the issue of if it takes anything special to get me to purchase a physical copy of anime the answer is an absolute no.

I blind purchase nearly 100% of everything I buy, I don't watch anime while it airs, I don't care about streaming and wait 100% of the time until an anime is released on dvd/bluray before I watch it. Just looking at the cover of an anime release and reading the brief description (if necessary) is more then enough to let me know if I will like something or not and $3000+ anime collection later I've yet to regret a single purchase whatsoever! There are also more reasons for it:

1) I love anime, the artstyle of anime is something I love and why I can't stand western animation for the most part. I also love the character designs, the ost and the stories anime's tell and it is near impossible for me to dislike anything when it comes to anime, there are no such things as overused stereotypes, tropes etc... I love harems, fan service, moe, Slice of life, drama, horror, classic/older anime, action, you get the point the only genre I don't care for is the mecha genre but as long as its more story driven like Code Geass or Full Metal Panic I'll enjoy it greatly.

2) I don't care for Japanese VA's at all and vastly prefer dubs so waiting for the dvd/bluray release is the best way to know whether and anime will be dubbed or not and I'd very much do not want to have my first experience with an anime but without a dub unless it's stated that it'll be released sub only. I will still watched sub only animes but a large enjoyment factor is removed and I'm much more selective in what I buy as if its dubbed I'm guarenteed to like it but if its sub only I need to make sure that I'll enjoy it enough to make me forget that I'm watching it sub only.

3) Same reason as my opening statement. I'm a very big collector and have a love for high quality, physical media. Streaming or watching it online will never give me the satisfaction of getting a new release and popping in the high quality disk and enjoying it, also add the fact that my anime shelf collection grows.

4) Buying physical media is the best way to support the R1 anime industry and dubbing industry and I want to make sure I do my part to make sure both are supported for as long as possible because the day that either go away is something I never want to experience in my lifetime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Cause considering when it came to relationships like this, their either stepsiblings like in Oreimo

Wait...what? I don't remember them ever establishing that they were step-siblings...I must've missed that...

yea. they are. which is why you have to give the director of wixoss to even go this route some credit since there haven't been a storyline with blood related siblings and not an ero series since koi kaze.

sure the main mo of wixoss is ruko & ilona and the identity of both tama and maya,though these other side stories are also decent too.

however i suspect that when its time to get reviewed,it's probably gonna get sent to the rental shelf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4