• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Anime Industry Up 10% in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much piracy has contributed since it technically does both positive and negative effects to said industry.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
@Kadmos1

I would assume that at this point piracy has a negative effect. The only positive spin piracy ever had was that it exposed people to shows they wouldn't see otherwise. Since this has been largely been replaced by streaming even that excuse is gone, while piracy lives on.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Can we get some comments from the "the industry is dying in Japan because of moe anime and otaku pandering" people?

On a related note, I hope this means that China can influence what anime gets a second second, because the Japanese don't like Rokka no Yuusha very much, but the Chinese love it. And I want more Rokka no Yuusha anime.

No, no, no. What you need is to bookmark this article to use as evidence when one of them rears their head. (Anime exclamation)

Dying=/=financially. If I say that modern pop music is dead, I could mean creatively, despite the mass production of bullshit. I don't know if the US revenue for music was greater in the 80s and 90s (probably was) BUT the QUALITY of music back then was amazing. Michael Jackson isn't good because he's popular. He's good because he's JUST good. Circular, but it's the truth. Revenue=/=good and vice versa. The Rescuers Down Under, which was 1990 a flop for Disney, was innovative in its use of digital ink and paint, had stunning visuals and was a great film that deviated from the Disney norm and was quite thrilling. Avatar and Titanic, films that were made to appeal to the mainstream made their budgets back and then some, becoming the highest grossing films of all time. Don't appeal to the masses. Appeal to the truth.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Kadmos1

I would assume that at this point piracy has a negative effect. The only positive spin piracy ever had was that it exposed people to shows they wouldn't see otherwise. Since this has been largely been replaced by streaming even that excuse is gone, while piracy lives on.

People seem to be forgetting that streaming is only ubiquitous in North America and only in certain languages.

Here in the UK, Prison School didn't start streaming until last Friday, Snow White With the Red Hair started last Saturday, Aquarian Logos is only available on an enormous 3-week delay. SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where Dirty Jokes Do Not Exist, might be show of the season for many, it isn't streaming in the UK so I personally wouldn't know. Same with Overlord and Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace.

This is the situation in the UK, imagine how much worse it is for people who speak less common languages, like Polish. I'm sure people would love to be able to stream these shows legally, but they simply can't. Streaming is great, but it still has a long way to go for those of us outside North America.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
As far as I can tell, these reports include sales of foreign animated materials within Japan.

You're confusing Oricon with this!

No, I'm confusing this report with the other one cited in original article. (I know what Oricon measures.)

"The Animation Market Analysis Project of Japan's Media Development Research Institute (MDRI) released a report on Japan's domestic animation market earlier this year. The report estimated a record high for the sale of domestic and foreign animation within Japan in 2013."

That's the report that published the widely-cited figure of 2,400 billion yen for 2013. The article confusingly juxtaposes these two reports, rather than comparing this year's installment of the AJA report with those from the same organization for earlier years.

For those who want to see an English-language summary of the AJA report, download it here (PDF).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Exactly. Anime may not be financially dead, but it's creatively dying. Plenty of harem light novel adaptions recently that otaku eat up. But few original ideas end up with any success. For example, I don't think I remember seeing Terror in Resonance on the blu ray sales chart articles ever. That might have been back when those lists were only the Top 10, but still.

Good, because that show was goddamn terrible and deserved all of the failure possible. What a piece of insulting try-hard wanna-be-intelligent trash. Watanabe should be ashamed. Besides, we've been having consistent light novel adaptations since at least 2005. It's probably time to stop getting upset over their presence in anime.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:

Not to be rude, but I think Disney does a whole lot more than animation. So you might need more context.

Never said they didn't. They also do movies, TV networks, theme parks, etc. But the idea of the entire anime industry fitting in 1/10 of one other company in the wider entertainment biz gives a sense of perspective.

Very true and puts in perspective especially when it's one company and the anime industry isn't one company
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
For example, I don't think I remember seeing Terror in Resonance on the blu ray sales chart articles ever.

Zankyou no Terror has been an abject failure when it comes to BD sales, averaging under 1,000 copies per volume after the initial installment. That doesn't mean that all original anime productions have poor sales figures though.

Shirobako has been a smashing success for an original anime production. It averaged about 14,500 copies per release over its seven volumes. In my mind the acclaim is deserved.

Kill la Kill averaged a bit over 10,000 BDs per volume. The recently-concluded Hibike! Euphonium is averaging around 8,000.

I agree with walw6pK4Alo about Zankyou no Terror. Promising beginning, but it went off the cliff when the adult Five appeared.

(I would post the source, but the links would be blocked here with the "this is a fansub site" message. It's initials are AS. I'm really tired of having to employ silly workarounds for a site that no longer hosts any fansub links!)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Shirobako has been a smashing success for an original anime production. It averaged about 14,500 copies per release over its seven volumes. In my mind the acclaim is deserved.

Kill la Kill averaged a bit over 10,000 BDs per volume. The recently-concluded Hibike! Euphonium is averaging around 8,000.

Euphonium isn't anime original, it's based on a light novel.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Exactly. Anime may not be financially dead, but it's creatively dying.

Just another way of saying anime is doomed, since you no longer are able to point to growth.

Since the world didn't end in 2012, we must have been a little off. The world will surely end in 2016.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
@Buzz201

I don't question that there are countries where piracy is the only way to see anime. However we are talking about it having the potential to contribute to the Japanese anime industry. In most such countries there would be no way to buy a legal copy after exposure via piracy. While some may import some anime related merchandise or disks I doubt it amounts to enough to effect Japan.

At best in such countries it would be neutral but might also deter any attempts to provide their own localization. In any case it is unlikely to offset the negative effects of piracy in countries where you can buy legal copies, or see legal streams, however much delayed.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I agree with walw6pK4Alo about Zankyou no Terror. Promising beginning, but it went off the cliff when the adult Five appeared.

I'm not even on the "It was good until 5" boat. It was bad from the initial outset because the setup was already in place, that it was going make disgustingly light of a heavy subject in what's supposed to be a heavy anime. And this anime did take itself very seriously. I think was promising until you learned that the writers made it impossible for the boys to actually harm people through pure contrivance. I was already done by episode 2.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:

I'm thinking yuna49 is referring to Anime Suki, a forum site.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Euphonium isn't anime original, it's based on a light novel.

I knew that, but it somehow slipped my mind when I wrote that comment.

And, yes, that is the site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4