• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon to Run Zag, Toei's Miraculous Ladybug in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
That PV was a bit too bubble-gum for me, but I'll try to at least check it out if I see it's on.
I don't mind CG if it's done well or is stylized so that it does it's own thing, but I don't know, something about that CG feels off. Maybe it's just how it's presented in the PV. All that will really matter is how it looks on TV, so maybe it will be fine during an actual episode, but I would have preferred the original 2D.

Normally I don't say this kind of thing, but I'm surprised by the character design. I mean, a shiny catsuit? Maybe that worked in 2D, but in 3D CG, I think they might have wanted to go back to the drawing board and make some changes.

Last edited by Covnam on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Would have cared more if they kept it 2D because then it would have meant something for Western animation. 3D animation, even immaculate 3D like what Pixar and now WDAS produce, is not special to me at all. I might actually be more forgiving with 2D if the writing isn't all there, because they dared to try something that much different. That's why I'll praise the shit out of the new Spongebob movie, because wow, it's mostly 2D, what a novel concept. Also helps it was pretty funny.

3DCG in movies, but TV --where Ladybug is going-- still has a lot of 2D animation.

Covnam wrote:

Normally I don't say this kind of thing, but I'm surprised by the character design. I mean, as shiny catsuit? Maybe that worked in 2D, but in 3D CG, I think they might have wanted to go back to the drawing board and make some changes.

At least Toei is more learning about 3DCG
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
Sunset In the Hood wrote:
See the trend? NONE of them are CG because people can only tolerate CG for 2 hours at most. It was a horrible decision to make a TV series in CG especially when the original 2D animation was more energetic and fun.

Well, from one Sunset avatar user to another, I did watch the entire third season of Reboot all at once. Like any other medium, it's the story that counts. If it's well-written, and the animation can accurately and plainly convey what the story is trying to say, I would say it's good.

Something I should mention also is that in all of those shows except Adventure Time, I have noticed at least one case of 3-D CGI mixed in with the 2-D animation.

Another thing is that what seems to be preferred by the people who make shows also depends on the medium. Hollywood's barely produced any 2-D animated movies recently because nearly every attempt has been a box office bomb, or at least were underwhelming. Between Titan A.E., Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, The Road to El Dorado, Winnie the Pooh, Looney Tunes: Back in Action, and The Princess and the Frog all failing to turn a profit (though some of it may be because of Hollywood accounting, but that's another story, and the point remains that they didn't make as much as the studios had expected), while at the same time Pixar's efforts were bringing in oodles of cash, then Dreamworks tried it with Antz and it did the same, then Blue Sky with Ice Age, Sony with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Universal with Despicable Me, and most recently Warner Bros. with The LEGO Movie, the message was coming in pretty strongly that animated family film brings in more money if it's 3-D CGI. Heck, you have some of these that were originally 2-D, like The Incredibles.

The 2-D animated films of the past ten years I can think of that were box office successes are The Simpsons Movie and SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge Out of Water (the first one also did well, but it was before 3-D CGI became omnipresent), and both of those are because they carry an extremely popular brand name that started on television.

Don't get me wrong--I really would like to see more 2-D animation on the big screen, but as it stands, it isn't happening. On the small screen, there are definitely plenty of cases--but again, it all comes down to the writing. Even on television, you have programs like Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Sonic Boom, Strawberry Shortcake: Bitty Berry Adventures, Star Wars: Clone Wars/Star Wars: Rebels, Sofia the First, and Doc McStuffins bringing in enough viewership to keep themselves afloat, and that's because the writing is appealing to their target audiences (and, in most of these cases, outside of them too). That recent Garfield series didn't last long, nor did Beware the Batman, not because they're 3-D CGI, but because their writing was bad, and even the kids knew it.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
Seemed very... western. Personally I think the CGI was fine. The implemented effects though were crap and really pulled the quality down.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote
TL;DR

To anyone complaining about the CGI animation in this show, no offense, but is that really it? That is, is that how you really feel about it, or are you really just disappointed that this isn't an anime (as originally proposed by the earlier promo/pilot/pitch/demo/whatever it is)? Surely any "anime bias" would invalidate any claims of the CGI animation being "ugly", wouldn't it? Either way, we still "can't judge a book by its cover". My only real concern is whether or not NICK asks for any changes to the show to be made (i.e., to make it more like the other shows they show). Then again, I don't think they've asked the same of Saban for their Power Rangers shows (although I do wonder...), and both are third-party productions, so anything's possible. I just hope this will be an actual super hero show (if even a comedic one), and not just another comedy series that just happens to have a superhero theme (especially if it has the same generic, unfunny, "crowd pleasing" type of comedy)...
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
I think the first PV was way better.

They decided to go with full CGi after showing this, from what I heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwV3scCgAM

I guess it's to make it more international?

Wow, that actually looks pretty awesome. What we're getting in horrible compared to it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Wow, that actually looks pretty awesome. What we're getting in horrible compared to it.

Agreed, but we'll have to watch the CGI version of Miraculous Ladybug if we want to see the 2D anime version of it to make it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
To those that responded to my comment. Thanks for that info. Okay that takes me back to my initial thought about the production before Toei's name was mentioned. Now it makes sense. Well, hopefully it does well here in the states. But it be curious to see a 2D one. It's interesting to see that 3D really isn't that big in Japan. While they have done 3D projects it's not as marketable like here. I remember reading a small article regarding the future of 3D animation and they stating it's just not as big as 2D. I mean you can pretty much look at the trend of interest. Just about everything here in the US is 3D animated, with the exception of some 2D shows and anime as an alternative.

I ask someone to help me out here or if they can direct me to any articles on 3D animation in Japan whether it will one day become a thing or not. Or it will only end up taking part in small projects.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

I ask someone to help me out here or if they can direct me to any articles on 3D animation in Japan whether it will one day become a thing or not. Or it will only end up taking part in small projects.

Kids/families are getting more into it, e.g. Doraemon, Captain Harlock, Pixar/Disney, etc.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Kids/families are getting more into it, e.g. Doraemon, Captain Harlock, Pixar/Disney, etc.

Thanks. I know that there are a few other 3D project produced for kids over the years, wish I remembered the titles. I think there was one that kind of reminded me of Monster's Inc. except with monster's on an island. I'm going to try and do a search for some of these films.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Do you mean Oblivion Island?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Do you mean Oblivion Island?

No, no...not that one. I've seen that one and own it. But there have been a few. There's Yona Penguin which is one that I can think of but there was another film about a bunch of monsters on an island with a little girl. I can't remember if I saw it on ANN or somewhere else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3