• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - ClannADCast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
shiranehito wrote:
I watched AIR (movie and series) and never played the VN, and I really prefer the movie than the TV series.
That's rather disappointing to hear, since the movie is just a really generic romance and doesn't really do anything particularly well. But I guess if you really like generic romance and were unable to see and/or appreciate the beauty of the story and themes portrayed in the TV series then it could be your preference.

I'm not saying that I don't enjoy the TV series at all. The TV series is good as well, but in my preference back then (I watched them around 10 years ago) I did like the movie better because it has less supernatural things and more focused on Misuzu (with a better character design too, IMHO). The whole supernatural thing in AIR was really hard to understand for me, so the TV series was providing me more puzzlement than enjoyment.

But again if I watched AIR for the first time after CLANNAD, or played the VN before watching the two adaptations, maybe my mind wouldn't think the same as before.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
"Emotional truth" essentially sums why people love Clannad. For some folks, all they really want is emotional truth. Thanks for using this term, invalidname. It gives a name to something I haven't been able to name myself.

Last edited by GVman on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the kickstarter for the game here at all even though this is a discussion about the kyoani adaptation of the game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/clannad-official-english-release

Zac mentioned early in the podcast that the Clannad Kickstarter exists, it made its goal in a day, and people were pledging thousands of dollars to it. Right now, it's on track to hit about a half-million dollars.

I do kind of wonder if there's some strategizing, or statement-making going on here… like people who don't necessarily like Clannad that much, but since it is the highest profile VN English release ever, perhaps fans of VNs in general want it to succeed, and succeed wildly, to catch the eye of Japanese licensors. The thinking being something like "if they see what Clannad is doing, maybe they'll be more willing to license Angel Beats!" Or Fate Stay/Night. Or Muv-Luv, or any other VN that US fans are aware of.

EDIT: FWIW: the top 10 VNs of all time, by ranking on VNDB.com. Notice how high Clannad is ranked.

1. Muv-Luv Alternative
  2. Steins;Gate
  3. Baldr Sky Dive2 “Recordare”
  4. Clannad
  5. Fate/stay night=
  6. White Album 2 ~closing chapter~=
  7. Ever17 -the out of infinity-
  8. Umineko no Naku Koro ni
  9. Little Busters!
  10. G-senjou no Maou

Last edited by invalidname on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot guys. Now that I've read the comments on this anncast, I'll have to watch the darn thing. Smile

Thanks!
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Loved Kanon, Air Clannad.

I disagree that this type and level of melodrama does not exist here in the West. Plenty of live action shows approach these topics and levels of melodrama quite often.

I just do not find them enjoyable or entertaining at all.

I think for me the layers of abstraction provided by animation and foreign setting allow me to more easily 'wallow' in the emotion, if that makes any sense.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes on Anime Network back in the day and the comedy material really killed it for me. After listening to this, I'm tempted to give it another shot. Maybe.

Last edited by taster of pork on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
I seriously can not agree enough with him when he basically said there is no western equivalent to visual novels/ Romances aimed at guys.

I recognize that

Also angel beats actually had a very LARGE impact atleast as much as stiens; gate I would have you go to an anime convention and poll how many people have watched this.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
Okay, so listening to this podcast I heard it mentioned that Maeda hasn't done anything post-Angel Beats... Actually that's not true. He's got this somewhat obscure manga called Hibiki's Magic that he's still working on. It got released in the US way back by Tokyopop, but then the series went on a several years' long hiatus which it only came back out of last year, and so I seriously doubt anything past the second volume will ever be officially released in English, (mind you, even in Japan there are only three volumes out, with some indication from the artist Rei Izumi that a fourth one may be coming out soon) but yeah, Maeda has been writing more stuff recently.

Incidentally, from what I understand, the ending to Clannad actually came about due to executive meddling, and Maeda originally wanted a more realistic ending (whether that means that the events we saw in episode 21 were meant to be the end, or if it was going to end with spoiler[Tomoya making amends with his father and Ushio], or if there was some other idea that never made it into the script at all, I have no idea) but he was forced to write it with a good ending. Actually it's quite telling that all the works where Maeda admits to having gotten more or less free reins, the ending is either bittersweet or an outright downer. (Air, Tomoyo After, Angel Beats...) And the afforementioned manga seems to further support this idea that Maeda, if given his way, will not write stories that just end with "Everything is perfect, yay!" Like, I don't think there's been a single chapter of that manga that ended on a perfectly upbeat note. Like, there's a story-arc early on spoiler[about a mother who's lost her daughter and is basically trying to create a perfect clone of her using magic (and seriously hurting herself by doing so seeing how the series has this whole FMA-esque "Equivalent exchange"-theme to its magic)... The conclusion to that arc was more just of her finally learning to accept her loss and move on,] which in a lot of ways is how I feel Clannad should have ended. I mean, I love this series despite its numerous flaws, but I'll still admit, episode 19 probably would have made for a stronger ending than what we ultimately got.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:42 am Reply with quote
I forgot that I wanted to mention this: there's a pretty interesting (if highly speculative and rather florid) essay on Clannad called Clannad TV Explained: A Foolproof Plan to Happiness (trigger warning: weird HTML that doesn't work on mobile devices) that offers a grand unifying theory for how the town magic conspires to fix everything. Among its more interesting ideas is the claim that Fuuko is deeply connected to the Illusionary World through her Coma Ghost Girl powers, and is in fact the sheep-like animal that The Girl and the Junk Robot encounter in ep 2 of After Story.
Wayne.No

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
I came into this expecting to hear a very different show then what I got and I am pretty happy with that. I am actually kinda curious to maybe one day actually check out this show now. I don't think it will really be for me but if anything this show thought me that sometimes I should look for shows out side of my comfort zone and see what they are about even if you don't end up loving them.

I am Excited/kinda nervous for the FMA Brotherhood show to be honest and that probably makes me sound pretty crappy 'cause I know that both Zac and Hopes or really anyone's opinions shows are not their opinions of people that enjoy those shows. I'm just glad that it is not a discussion of 2003 vs Brotherhood because I feel like that talk has been done to death at this point, everyone knows which side they are on or yada yada. They are very different shows and aside from like 50% of the same cast. I feel like it is a much more interesting to take both shows on their own maters and talk about them apart from each other.

But brotherhood probably is maybe my favourite anime of all time so maybe it is unfair for me to say something like that.

Anyway! Great show guys and I can't wait to hear more of these.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I forgot that I wanted to mention this: there's a pretty interesting (if highly speculative and rather florid) essay on Clannad called Clannad TV Explained: A Foolproof Plan to Happiness (trigger warning: weird HTML that doesn't work on mobile devices) that offers a grand unifying theory for how the town magic conspires to fix everything. Among its more interesting ideas is the claim that Fuuko is deeply connected to the Illusionary World through her Coma Ghost Girl powers, and is in fact the sheep-like animal that The Girl and the Junk Robot encounter in ep 2 of After Story.
Wow people came up with a lot up with quite a few theories. It is true about Fuuko. I already had that impression from playing the game. I'd forgotten about that point until now.

Also, invaildname, I really liked hearing your very thorough side. Thank you Smile
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
I see Zac and Hope are still on the moral-argument-as-art-critique platform. That you had a problem with the Furukawa's not condemning Okazaki's abandonment of Ushio is because you didn't buy into the idea that they were empathizing with Tomoya and felt protective of Ushio enough to the point where they understood that condemning Tomoya immediately after Nagisa's death would have served literally no purpose, not because it was unrealistic within the setting of the show. Likely due to the fact that neither of you cared about Tomoya's relationship with his Father, which was elaborated on extensively before Nagisa's death (rendering the "I didn't care because I was too distracted by moral outrage" argument pretty questionable), because "not enough time was spent on it".

Nagisa's parents understand the entirety of Tomoya's character, his past and his present, by the time Nagisa dies. That and their treasuring of Ushio combined is what leads them to refraining from condemning, not because the setting changes arbitrarily to serve the whims of Tomoya.

Hope's comment in the beginning of the podcast that "what you would typically imagine is an otaku in his basement with his hug pillows" (which is a pretty venomous and illogical stereotype to casually drop) and Zac's constant reiteration of his personal mental representation of Clannad as being an archetype of everything wrong with "moe" is pretty telling of the actual motivations for a lot of the criticisms presented against the "writing" of the show.

Not that Clannad is even close to a coherent story. The point being it's not the platonic form of everything Zac enjoys morally condemning in anime that it's constantly implied to be in this podcast. The criticisms against the depth of the side characters and plot holes are certainly valid, but none of those things are really the point of the show: side characters are on the side for a reason. Though their lack of depth certainly shows in the kind of hackneyed melodrama and necessary plot holes of the other routes.

That said, the benevolence of the Furukawas is kind of miraculous to the point where it may require some suspension of disbelief. Not in that it was absurd that they didn't condemn Okazaki, but that they seemed not to grieve even half as much as he did, despite the fact that they sacrificed much of their lives for Nagisa. Perhaps having Ushio around was supposed to explain that, as a kind of coping mechanism for them. To me the most powerful scene in the show is when Sanae finally cries about Nagisa's death for that reason.

Also it doesn't sound like Zac or Hope actually understand what it's like to be as young as Ushio was and have a fractured relationship with a parent. Resentment requires the idea of responsibility: all Ushio knew and was told about Tomoya by the Furukawas was that Okazaki was her Father and was the one person that she could always rely on and trust. To expect her to be afraid or mad seems to ignore the point of even writing that into the show.

I haven't even seen CLANNAD, but I have to say this because it needs to be said. There is a difference between politely disagreeing and just straight up insulting the reviewers because they committed the crime of not parroting/validating your opinions.

To the writer in question; do you have no confidence in your own opinions? No, I don't just say this to the poster. I say this to everyone who has ever felt the urge to unfairly bully critics who dare to criticize their sacred cows. You should feel confident enough in yourselves to not care what people say about anything you like. Whether it be CLANNAD or FMA: Brotherhood, if YOU like it, that's okay. There's no need to condescend to those who say otherwise. You can say: "I disagree, here's how I saw this." But no, you just go ahead and dismiss their opinions and straight up talk down to them in your comments.

I don't necessarily agree with the things Hope and Zac say sometimes, I admit. But I have had it up to HERE with people just being needlessly cruel to them online. I respect them on many levels, and I won't give to see people just being nasty to them over something as petty as them not liking their precious show. In layman's terms, calm the f**k down. So what if Hope and Zac weren't fans?

(And because someone is going to bring up the morality argument the poster put up in the first paragraph; the media impacts us. Whether intentional or not, the stories we are told shape who we are. If we listen to something with a good message, then that's great. But then we have stuff like Twilight that primarily teaches very sexist and racist messages to impressionable audiences. We need critics to say "the emperor has no clothes", especially if they find the stories thematically lacking otherwise.)[/b]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
Wayne.No wrote:

I am Excited/kinda nervous for the FMA Brotherhood show to be honest and that probably makes me sound pretty crappy 'cause I know that both Zac and Hopes or really anyone's opinions shows are not their opinions of people that enjoy those shows. I'm just glad that it is not a discussion of 2003 vs Brotherhood because I feel like that talk has been done to death at this point, everyone knows which side they are on or yada yada. They are very different shows and aside from like 50% of the same cast. I feel like it is a much more interesting to take both shows on their own maters and talk about them apart from each other.

But brotherhood probably is maybe my favourite anime of all time so maybe it is unfair for me to say something like that.

The manga is my favorite and thus since I am emotionally biased I probably will not be listening to the podcast.

I already know Zac and Hope prefer the 2003 series and while I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they purposely won't let that affect their opinions on Brotherhood I feel it is impossible not to in some degree.

Perhaps if the guest is a fan of Brotherhood I will reconsider.

I didn't listen to the whole podcast so I did not hear if they said who will do the Brotherhood podcast with them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I already know Zac and Hope prefer the 2003 series and while I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they purposely won't let that affect their opinions on Brotherhood I feel it is impossible not to in some degree.

I didn't listen to the whole podcast so I did not hear if they said who will do the Brotherhood podcast with them.

I haven't actually seen Brotherhood. Just the first few episodes. I really do love the 2003 show but I'm going to watch Brotherhood understanding that it's a direct adaptation of the manga and not expect it to be the 2003 series.

The FMA:B show will happen in late January to give me time to watch it, and we haven't decided who will fill the third chair yet.

At some point we need to do a show Hope and I wildly disagree on, though!
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I haven't actually seen Brotherhood. Just the first few episodes. I really do love the 2003 show but I'm going to watch Brotherhood understanding that it's a direct adaptation of the manga and not expect it to be the 2003 series.

The FMA:B show will happen in late January to give me time to watch it, and we haven't decided who will fill the third chair yet.

At some point we need to do a show Hope and I wildly disagree on, though!

If I can sugest a show Zac and Hope could disagree on (even though it's been talked about a lot) How about Neon Genesis Evangelion? Given that 2015 is the year everything was supposed to happen in the series, the manga ending,

The third Rebuild movie coming out, and the fact that a series put out in 1995 is still being analyzed, interpreted and talked about so long after it's original run. Just a simple suggestion though
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5