• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation October 2011 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
You can add Railgun to that list as well. And Japan in general seems to be making more one-cour shows than they used to, so that little detail isn't too surprising to me.

EDIT: It might be added that nearly all of the break-away hits in Japan recently thus far have been one-cour: Bakemonogatari, K-ON! (though the sequel is two-cour), Madoka Magica, Oreimo, Angel Beats, Infinite Stratos, AnoHana, etc.

Granted there are some very high-selling two-cour shows as well like Tiger and Bunny, but I think an overall shift to a shorter series length wouldn't surprise me at all.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
There's LOL Heroes, Shiki, Shana 2, Index, Steins;Gate, and...that's it according to my list, but those aren't coming out for a while since they were recently announced (well, LOL Heroes could be soon).

As far as I know, FUNimation still only has streaming rights to The Legend of Legendary Heroes. Nothing more (at least publicly) has been said since the initial PR (of which doesn't seem to in ANN's archives).
Quote:
FUNimation Entertainment Announces Summer Simulcasts
U.S. Anime Leader to Launch Legend of Legendary Heroes

Flower Mound, Texas (July 2, 2010) -- FUNimation® Entertainment and Tokyo-based T.O Entertainment have entered into an agreement giving the American anime leader exclusive rights to the U.S. online simulcast of T.O Entertainment’s anti-heroic fantasy anime series “The Legend of Legendary Heroes”.
The collaboration will allow the simulcast and streaming of already aired episodes of the 25-episode dramatic series, known as “Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu” in Japan, as it continues its run on TV Tokyo.

Starting this month, date and time to be determined, FUNimation will deliver the newest episode of “The Legend of Legendary Heroes” just one hour after its broadcast in Japan via www.funimation.com. In addition, any episodes which have already aired will be available for streaming. All episodes feature the original Japanese dialogue accompanied by English subtitles.

The anime, based on the Kagami Takaya light novel series, is produced by Fujimi Shobo and directed by Itsuro Kawasaki (“Chrome Shelled Regios,” “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex,” and “Sengoku Basara”). The series follows the story of Ryner Lute, a lazy student of Roland Imperial Special Military Academy. When the Roland Empire goes to war against the neighboring kingdom of Estabul, Ryner and his classmates finds themselves headed into battle. Years after the war, Ryner and his comrade set out on journey to search for the “Heroic Relics" at his emperor's command. During this journey he finds that a deadly curse is spreading across the continent.

About T.O Entertainment
Since its inception in 2003, T.O Entertainment has maintained a very internationally oriented focus, with branch offices located in South Korea, the United Kingdom, Singapore, and Russia. The company has introduced multiple anime series (“ Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts”, “Polyphonica”, “Legend of the Legendary Heroes” etc) and full-length films (“Bungaku Shoujo: BOOK GIRL - The Literature Girl-”, “Straight Jacket”, “Apartment 1303”, “RoboGeisha”, etc) with the goal of bringing various forms of Japanese entertainment to the rest of the world.

About FUNimation Entertainment
FUNimation® Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Navarre Corporation, is the leading company for home video sales of Japanese animation in the United States. FUNimation has a proven formula for launching and advancing brands, and manages a full spectrum of rights for most of its brands including broadcasting, licensing, production, internet, and home video sales and distribution. For more information about FUNimation Entertainment and its brands, visit www.funimation.com.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I need my Index and Railgun fix. Funimation needs to finally give some info on their releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Saiki_Thorn wrote:
I need my Index and Railgun fix. Funimation needs to finally give some info on their releases.

Funimation was a LOT of things they still have yet to announce from that mega announcement they made last summer. At least 21 titles at my count if you include the streaming series that haven't had physical disc releases. Plus they also have a few others they announced last year and this year that we haven't heard from yet. I think they bit off a bit more than they could chew.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
There are quite a few of those that had to do something with that Geneon/Universal Japan merger, so that could be part of the delay.

Though I am not really sure what the hold-up on Strike Witches 2 is, since IIRC Spice & Wolf 2 was announced either at the same time or even after that, and that is coming in September. While we still don't have any info on Strike Witches 2.

I know I kind of do this often, but I really enjoyed Strike Witches, and really want to buy it. However I don't want to do so if season 2 is not coming soon.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Saiki_Thorn wrote:

It's pretty much not any time soon. From Otakon:
Quote:
19:22:35 <bay> Q: re-release of original series
19:22:55 <bay> A: the tenchi series, hellsing, blacklagoon, all the stuff from AX last year.. had a very long term materials delay, just starting to work on them
19:23:13 <bay> they won't send materials until the geneon/universal merge is finished
19:23:16 <bay> hopefully sooner than later
19:23:25 <bay> as soon as we get materials, we'll tell you a thing

I would imagine mid/late 2012 at the earliest. Considering how things are progressing, it would not surprise me if some of the Geneon stuff gets released in 2013 instead.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Though I am not really sure what the hold-up on Strike Witches 2 is, since IIRC Spice & Wolf 2 was announced either at the same time or even after that, and that is coming in September. While we still don't have any info on Strike Witches 2.

I know I kind of do this often, but I really enjoyed Strike Witches, and really want to buy it. However I don't want to do so if season 2 is not coming soon.

It's suppose to be released before this year is over. I guess it's a wait and see until official Nov or Dec solicitations surface. One possible guess for the delay is BD materials for the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3