• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Jetstream Soars to 9.5 Million Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
Well I wouldn't say that it's completely out of the picture. I've seen shows syndicated and aired simultaneously on another network before such as Cromartie High School, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Boogiepop Phantom, Serial Experiments Lain, Evangelion, Colorful, RahXephon, there was a time when fans used to say that ADV titles would never ever get aired on CN or G4 because of The Anime Network but that was proven false.

Most of what you listed are ADV shows. Because of their own channel, ADV retains the rights to air the show on their own network. In the case of Boogiepop Phantom, The Right Stuf, Inc. sold the exclusive broadcast rights to G4 and the on-demand rights to both the Anime Network and Anime Selects. Serial Experiments Lain hasn't aired on US TV anywhere other than G4. Since the Anime Network is a floundering non-success, the bigger networks don't usually mind letting ADV continue airing their properties, but it is often not a smart move to sign a non-exclusive linear broadcast agreement, because if a much bigger network can get their hands on the show, then no one will bother watching it on the smaller network.
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
Serial Experiments Lain and Evangelion were actually aired on KTEH in San Jose and I also seen the Animatrix on TNT, MTV2 and Adult Swim around the same time. plus Armitage III Polymatrix on Sci Fi and TechTV but yeah I dig what you're saying but I just don't really consider ImaginAsian to be a major network where they can't negotiate a deal to have it aired on Toonami. now unless I get official word from CN stating that it's not possible then I'll take their word for it.

Yep Boogiepop Phantom was aired on TAN, TechTV and AnimeSelects during 2003 but whatever the reason, I don't see why this can't be done with anime especially considering there's a lot of American shows that get sydicated on network television all the time such as South Park, Family Guy and American Dad. They also aired Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Castle in the Sky on Adult Swim and TCM though they're probably sister networks, I still think it's possible though.

Last edited by ponlork on Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
They are seriously needing to expand the pipeline. It pulls up a second popup that starts the service. Thing is it's gotta have the bandwidth to do so and I think they tax it each day. I can get in the first day after an update but no more after that.

Adultswimfix is pretty good. They now show the new shows such as venture bros, metalocapyse for an entire week and usually have a full season of a show to watch as well. Last week or two it was Robot Chicken. Now it is the brak show.
emory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
Serial Experiments Lain and Evangelion were actually aired on KTEH in San Jose and I also seen the Animatrix on TNT, MTV2 and Adult Swim around the same time. plus Armitage III Polymatrix on Sci Fi and TechTV but yeah I dig what you're saying but I just don't really consider ImaginAsian to be a major network where they can't negotiate a deal to have it aired on Toonami. now unless I get official word from CN stating that it's not possible then I'll take their word for it.

Those are simple. KTEH is a local terrestrial station. I believe Ranma 1/2 was aired there too. Negotiating rights for individual terrestrial markets is different from cable TV, which is called "out of market" broadcasting rights. Not to mention it's been a long time since KTEH aired those shows. And the rights for Armitage III expired on Scifi before Tech TV bought it up, which I'm glad they did. AZN Television picked up Tenchi back when it was I-Channel after Cartoon Network lost the rights.

ponlork wrote:
Yep Boogiepop Phantom was aired on TAN, TechTV and AnimeSelects during 2003 but whatever the reason, I don't see why this can't be done with anime especially considering there's a lot of American shows that get sydicated on network television all the time such as South Park, Family Guy and American Dad.

Because they're AMERICAN shows. Anime distributors aren't in the position to syndicate obscure anime titles. And, as shown before in the 90s, syndication has pretty much been a flop for anime. DBZ and Pokemon didn't become huge successes in America until they were pulled OUT of syndication, so the idea is most likely a turn-off for the distributors. South Park is syndicated terrestrially because of its 10 year success, so it's an in-demand show. Same thing for The Simpsons, and Family Guy, which will soon be syndicated in several TV markets by Tribune Broadcasting. They're the types of shows that will get viewers wherever they go.

ponlork wrote:
They also aired Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Castle in the Sky on Adult Swim and TCM though they're probably sister networks, I still think it's possible though.

Yeah, they're owned by the same company (those movies didn't air on AS btw). Family Guy also airs on TBS, as do a few other AS shows.
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
Well according to KTEH's programming schedule Serial Experiments Lain was airing on KTEH during Feb of 2003, the same time when Techtv was broadcasting Lain. Sure it might of been a long time ago, sure it might of been a local PBS station, but SEL DID indeed air on another channel besides G4 (TechTV).. But yeah you're probably right, but like I said I'm not taking anybody's word on it until I hear it officially from CN that ImaginAsian has Exclusive rights to Hikaru no Go. Boogiepop Phantom still got aired on multiple networks and if you're saying Right Stuf sold Techtv the Broadcasting rights but gave TAN and Anime Selects VOD rights to Boogiepop then Techtv would have been able to snatch up broadcasting rights for Chobits, Macross Plus and Ghost in the Shell but they weren't able to because TAN and Starz acquired them before Techtv was able to so I'm not really buying that argument that it's totally impossible to broadcast the same anime on two different networks. Last time I checked, One Piece is airing on Toonami even when 4kids.tv is showing it. Times are changing and anime is becoming more and more mainstream, the industry is much bigger then it was 5-10 years ago.

Now if given the option, I'm sure most fans would prefer watching Hikaru no Go on ImaginAsian over Toonami because ImaginAsian airs both dub and subtitled versions plus they show the entire full length OP/ED themes. Now from Viz's standpoint, I can see if they would want Hikaru no Go on Toonami because it will get more exposure, and fans who don't have ImaginAsian can watch Hikaru no Go on Cartoon Network. But fans who have a choice would probably prefer ImaginAsian so I can't really see it suffering from ratings it would most likely become more popular because of the extra exposure. it's not like both networks have to air it simultaneously at the same time, most fans don't mind catching their favorite shows on TV even if they seen the episode already. Maybe a certain timeslot might be more convenient for others to watch, Heck most of the anime that's on TV right now I've already seen but I like re-watching it on TV anyways because it's a different feel to it.

I still think it's possible to syndicate anime shows, that's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to get into an argument about whether it’s a good buisness move or not. Everybody’s entitled to their own opinion but until I hear official statements regarding it or see some broadcasting rights agreement from ImaginAsian then I'll be convienced. Til then, I aint taking nobody's word on it, it's still up in the air. Though it's more wishful thinking on my part and who knows, licenses do expire right?
God Gundam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
They also aired Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Castle in the Sky on Adult Swim and TCM though they're probably sister networks

Those movies aired on Toonami, not AS, and yes, CN and TCM are sister networks (they're both owned by Turner).

ponlork wrote:
Last time I checked, One Piece is airing on Toonami even when 4kids.tv is showing it.

Um, One Piece was pulled from 4KidsTV a while ago. Where are you getting your info from?
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:

ponlork wrote:
Last time I checked, One Piece is airing on Toonami even when 4kids.tv is showing it.

Um, One Piece was pulled from 4KidsTV a while ago. Where are you getting your info from?

well "Last time I checked" and actually woke up to tune into 4kids.tv on Saturday Morning they were airing One Piece while Toonami was also showing it latenight. And yeah my mistake the Miyazaki month was showcased on Toonami not AS a minor slip nothing to jump onto I'm not trying to pick an argument about this, I'm just saying that it's possible to air the same anime on two different networks. Matter of fact when Pokemon and DBZ were at it's peak a few years ago, I remember Toonami and KidsWB swapping programs and having DBZ on kidsWB in the afternoons and Pokemon showing on Cartoon Network temporary. I'm sure they worked out a deal to make that happen but hey, it's not entirely impossible. Now if ImaginAsian was a network that is more widely accessible and available in many households then I would think the chances of airing Hikago on Toonami slim, but since it's probably no bigger then KTEH, LA18, or TAN then I'm not giving my hopes up or ruling it out completely you dig what I'm saying?
SakunoEchizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Someone_II wrote:
SakunoEchizen wrote:
I think it's great that the site did well...that's a good sign for anime on the internet. And I must say that the Hikaru no Go dub is pretty decent...the voices aren't bad and the translation is good.

Thank you! You're the second person I've seen so far that didn't bash the vastly underrated Hikago dub.

But still bashed the servicable Prince of Tennis dub? I think the Prince of Tennis dub is quite good, personally. I'm looking forward to watching it on Jetstream, far more than I am in watching Hikaru no Go when it gets past the DVDs.

Gomen. I guess you have to read between the lines of my post to get what I meant. PoT is my all-time favorite anime, so I'm a little protective of it. Also I didn't mean to bash the dub. I think it's an OK job just not as good as it could be. My beef with the dub is specifically what I mentioned in my post: the changing of the opening and closing, ryoma's voice (which I'm actually getting used to so I take it back), tezuka's voice (he sounds wimpy), Fuji's voice (he is not the calm tensai from the Japanese version anymore), and the translation of twist to kick. Comparitively the HnG dub is a far superior job than the PoT one.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
SakunoEchizen wrote:
Gomen. I guess you have to read between the lines of my post to get what I meant. PoT is my all-time favorite anime, so I'm a little protective of it. Also I didn't mean to bash the dub. I think it's an OK job just not as good as it could be. My beef with the dub is specifically what I mentioned in my post: the changing of the opening and closing, ryoma's voice (which I'm actually getting used to so I take it back), tezuka's voice (he sounds wimpy), Fuji's voice (he is not the calm tensai from the Japanese version anymore), and the translation of twist to kick. Comparitively the HnG dub is a far superior job than the PoT one.

I can understand, but as a fellow TeniPuri fan and a Junko Minagawa fan, I think this dub could have been a lot worse. I was thrown aback with Tezuka and Fuji especially in the third episode when you've got Tezuka as a wimp and Fuji as a creepy rapist, but by the fourth episode, it didn't bother me anymore (even though by all logical purposes, it should Laughing ). The only thing that really irks me is the pronounciations, or lack of. I thought with Naruto, we'd begun to move into an era where English speaking actors and ADR directors could pronounce Japanese names with ease, but I guess not.

I think with The Prince of Tennis, I expected the worst, and got something better. It's far from being a replacement for the sub version, but few dubs are in my opinion. So long as the DVDs contain the original op/eds and is bilingual, I won't mind, since I think they've been quite faithful to it (save for the move name changes, which is already far worse in the manga).
God Gundam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
well "Last time I checked" and actually woke up to tune into 4kids.tv on Saturday Morning they were airing One Piece while Toonami was also showing it latenight.

That's because the last time you checked was months before OP was pulled from 4KidsTV.
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Okay, but 4kids.tv and Toonami was still showing One Piece while it was still in rotation on 4kids.tv. If I remember correct, Toonami started airing One Piece in April of 2005, 4kids took a break from One Piece during the holidays but it returned later in 2006. I haven't watched 4kids.tv lately but I'm positive that 4kids and Toonami both aired One Piece while one block still had it on the air. But I'm not trying to make a big deal about whether OP is currently listed on 4kids schedule or not, that I would have to look into, but the fact is that both networks carried One Piece while the other was still airing it which is the argument I'm getting at, that it is possible to air an anime on two different networks. Nothing more Nothing less
Stefnick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
I thought that Jetstream was awesome. Very Happy The anime; Prince of Tennis, MAR, and Hikaru no Go was the best. I heard nothing wrong with the dub but of course I never seen the sub. Anyway maybe if in the future if these shows do very well on Jetstream they might put it on Toonami. But I wonder if they'll put any other anime on later. Other than Zatch Bell I can't think of any other anime Viz owns that has a under PG TV rating. Confused Well I'm thinking too far ahead. I really wish they would add reshowings of Yu Yu Hakasho and Rurouni Kenshin. But ironiclly they own the mangas, not the anime. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3