• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 22,302 at Otakon 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey jvowles the hotels do have an incentive to give otakon and such other decent sized cons that incentive.Could you imagine if otakon or any other decent sized con went to a different city?Cons like your's among others bring a large amount of revenue not only to them(the hotel) but to the city as well.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:21 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand why anyone would want to move a convention to Philly. I used to live in the Philly suburbs and travel in occasionally. It's dangerous and expensive. Baltimore's Inner Harbor is more picturesque with alot to do in the area of the convention center (more centralized activities). You're probably in an area of heightened security also since this is the tourist area and University of Maryland Medical School is also close by. It would also be too close geographically to AnimeNext in New Jersey.

Hikura, cons are only a hotel attraction if their attendees don't bother the other higher echelon/higher paying clientele; don't trash the rooms or create a public disturbance, etc imo. Plus, you have to factor in whether or not the community's police force, hotels, restraurants, hospitals etc can handle any problems associated with a massive influx of people coming in to party and leave.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:58 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 how many people acutally go and trash their rooms?Out of the entire population very few acutally do(and those who do such things end up paying for it).The rest of the people(including myself) are very respectful and don't.Plus very few problems are acutally caused by people who go to cons and what not.The benfits defintely outweigh any problems caused by the people who go to cons.
I would be more worried about some sport fans rioting then i would be about anime fans causing trouble.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
hikaru004 how many people acutally go and trash their rooms?Out of the entire population very few acutally do(and those who do such things end up paying for it).The rest of the people(including myself) are very respectful and don't.Plus very few problems are acutally caused by people who go to cons and what not.The benfits defintely outweigh any problems caused by the people who go to cons.
I would be more worried about some sport fans rioting then i would be about anime fans causing trouble.

I like this quote... but I would love to know which cons you're going to, because over the past few years, the behavior of the anime crowd has gotten worse, not better. If you really want to know how things have gotten, ask the hotel staff the Monday after a con, and you'll hear some good stories about how we as a group behave.

The anime community has a real problem with the idea of policing our own, and we're beginning to pay the price. I know of at least one con that had to move because the local hotel and venue would no longer support the event due to the problems caused by unruly or rude guests. It may only be a few people, but their actions are enough to taint the entire community.

And yeah, I'm more than happy to put my head on the chopping block with some personally-viewed examples, ranging from cosplayers intentionally trying to get a reaction from passers-by (when you yell at them to look at you, it doesn't become more apparent), openly cursing at children (2/4 yrs old) in front of their parents simply because you were politely asked to check your language after an accidental drop of an expletive in an elevator, public ludity in a hotel lobby (not overly-revealing cosplay, but full frontal nudity from the waist up in a hotel lobby at 10PM), trying to sneak into a hotel reception, and the list goes on...

and that was just at Otakon. What scares me is that the increased police presence at that hotel actually reduced the number of incidents from last year.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Hey jvowles the hotels do have an incentive to give otakon and such other decent sized cons that incentive.Could you imagine if otakon or any other decent sized con went to a different city?Cons like your's among others bring a large amount of revenue not only to them(the hotel) but to the city as well.

Right, and that's the logic that helps us -- but it's hard to argue that a rate should be given when they know they'll sell out anyway.

Unlike other cons, though, we're a convention-center based con, not a hotel-based one. They don't earn lucrative banquet or A/V dollars from us. A cheap room rate is pretty much all the hotel gets out of us. But our members are generally well behaved and the hotels aren't stupid -- they know they'd take a bigger hit if we left. And BACVA (basically Baltimore's tourist agency) has gone to bat for us as well, which also helps. Mostly, though, it's good relationships with the hotels we've built up over the years.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:

Here's some of my ACen memories...

Rei in a towel (multiple years)
Yaoi fangirls asking guys for pics in various positions
Con attendees collapsed in the hotel corridors
Female con attendees begging anyone that they come up to for money to buy Pocki.

Some fans can get alittle out of control at cons.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Female con attendees begging anyone that they come up to for money to buy Pocki.

Why do anime fans like pocky so much? Maybe it's just because there's a Japanese drugstore close to my house that I can go to whenever I want to buy odd Japanese candy, but I think the stuff is kind of chalky tasting. The chocolate ones are okay, but the vanilla/milk/banana flavored ones are barf-tastic. I personally know girls who admit to not liking pocky, but will eat strawberry flavored ones by the pound just because it's Shuichi of Gravitation's favorite food.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:

I like this quote... but I would love to know which cons you're going to, because over the past few years, the behavior of the anime crowd has gotten worse, not better. If you really want to know how things have gotten, ask the hotel staff the Monday after a con, and you'll hear some good stories about how we as a group behave.

The anime community has a real problem with the idea of policing our own, and we're beginning to pay the price. I know of at least one con that had to move because the local hotel and venue would no longer support the event due to the problems caused by unruly or rude guests. It may only be a few people, but their actions are enough to taint the entire community.

And yeah, I'm more than happy to put my head on the chopping block with some personally-viewed examples, ranging from cosplayers intentionally trying to get a reaction from passers-by (when you yell at them to look at you, it doesn't become more apparent), openly cursing at children (2/4 yrs old) in front of their parents simply because you were politely asked to check your language after an accidental drop of an expletive in an elevator, public ludity in a hotel lobby (not overly-revealing cosplay, but full frontal nudity from the waist up in a hotel lobby at 10PM), trying to sneak into a hotel reception, and the list goes on...

and that was just at Otakon. What scares me is that the increased police presence at that hotel actually reduced the number of incidents from last year.

I have gone to animeboston and otakon plus gencon for gaming(for the bigger cons.. AB had just under 10k and of course otakon had over 22k gencon has had 25+k).
Those people who do stuff like you have mentioned are the exception to the rule and not the rule itself.With the few exceptions of teenagers and adults who lack any sort of decorum do stuff like you mentioned the people who go to cons are well behaved.You sound like myself who have respect and know what is and what isn't acceptable.I find that a few of people who are not familiar with cosplay and anime are the people who also cause trobule.
Animeboston has been a regular con for me and with the exception of three or four teenagers and one or two adults the rest of the crowd over the past four years has been great.
I have run into as many rude non anime fans as i have run into rude anime fans.I have personaly run into more rude sport goers then anime con goer fans.
When it has come to gencon over the years there was a problem with people who were rude and lacked personal hygenie but it has gotten alot better.But overall people kept to themselves.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
lillink wrote:
Otakon can't move out of Baltimore, the topic is brought up every year, with the same answer that it won't move.

Hmmmm, Lillink has been awfully quiet, since his claims have been shown to be comprehensively incorrect. Come on Lillink! What's your reply?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
lillink wrote:
Otakon can't move out of Baltimore, the topic is brought up every year, with the same answer that it won't move.

Hmmmm, Lillink has been awfully quiet, since his claims have been shown to be comprehensively incorrect. Come on Lillink! What's your reply?

The better question is, why would you, or anyone, care?

It's not like he's going to come up with some new and pertinent fact that would suddenly support his claims. That is often a problem when you make things up with no basis in reality.

I'm amazed at some of the nonsense that people come up with from time to time, and even MORE amazed that people buy into it for more than a few seconds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3