• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion live action movie and possible trend-starter.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southcross

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
anime#3123

Here's this site's page on it. It has links to Weta Workshop's page, and one unofficial page as well.
ah... thank you sir Smile

dang... expected film cost $100M to $120M! Shocked
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:
Also if you look at Hollywood now its not only comic books they are turning too. Just books in general have been turned into movies so you can't just leave out mangas in the this discussion. The following are a list of books that have been turned into movies over the past while:

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
A Series Of Unfortunate Events
The DaVinci Code
Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
Cat In The Hat
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Are these movies any good?

To be honest, yea, a lot of em are passable if not pretty good (personally I enjoyed the lord of the rings ones, chronicles of narnia, harry potter is decent, and to be honest the grinch was really well done as well for a children's movie.)
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
In my opinion both X-Men movies sucked.

- IchigoK90

I totally agree, Bryan Singer is a stupid ****, he destroyed the history and mythology of X-men. He ruined everything that made x-men great. He had no respect for the original stories. He even went so far as to make up his own (HUMAN) villian with a mutant son with telepathic JUICE that he uses to control mutants, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

COMON' How many mutant villans are there to pick from! He probably never picked up an X-men comic or even saw the X-men animated show.

He just took the characters that everyone loved and threw them together in his own made up **** plot which was totally stolen from the X-men cartoon's first episode right down to the wolvering taking her in as a daughter like figure. He just switched Jubilee with Rogue and Sentinals with Magneto. Just look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Sentinels_%28Part_1%29

He removed all the cool parts of X-men that made it great
for example:
Rogue - made into a teenager without ms.marvels powers = ruined
Wolverine - Not remembering his past including his ongoing fued with sabertooth = ruined
Gambit- Completely leaving him out WTF!
Adult Mutants- Turning adult mutants into teens =Ruined
Lady Deathstrike - Was made into a mutant, she was a andamantium cyborg who once loved wolverine = ruined

And before some of you say he had to explain everything in the time frame of a movie. If X-men the animated series can explain everything in (2episodes) of 22min each, there is no excuse.

Last edited by Darkenin13 on Mon May 08, 2006 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
To throw all that in would have cluttered the movies. You can't put an entire established comic book mythos into a few hours of cinema and have it work. It will become cluttered, feel rushed and simply spiral out of control and you certainly can't make an adaptation with the assumption that the entire audience has seen the source material (*cough*FF7:AC*cough*).

The movies are an adaptation, they're not meant to be a perfect rendition of the comics because it's being directed towards a new, more diverse audience. As nice as a niche film might be for the die-hards it would have flopped and certainly wouldn't have been able to pay for the effects work required to produce it. Not to mention there's just some aspects of hero comics that work on paper but would look, pardon the pun, comical on screen; as an example their comic book outfits would not have worked in live action, it would have been hideous. X-Men the animated series didn't do a sufficient job, not to mention that would still have been nearly half the first movie just for explanations, say farewell to your audience if you try that.

I'm not saying they were perfect movies, but horrible? Far from it, and their success would certainly dictate that they were nowhere near failures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
To throw all that in would have cluttered the movies. You can't put an entire established comic book mythos

Of course you can't put an entire mythos in movie but would 1 min of dialogue kill the movie. THey could of made rogue an adult with atleast super strength would that have killed the movie. They could of had wolverine say Sabertooth I hate that guy, would that have killed the movie. And Wolverine should know his past thats why he is a lunatic.

You failed to prove your point Keonyn if that moron bryan singer can add in an idiot villan with a stupid son, which he went into great depth and detail/mythos about, why couldn't it be done for characters that matter. And you think its okay for Bryan Singer to add his own character but not real ones from the actual comics. Give me a break!

Also i didn't say it needed an exact comic to film interp it just needed to leave in things that made it great and cool.

And of course the movie is going to do good, You have BIG stars, BIG Fan base, and good looking trailers HELLO!

And the animated series did a great job obviously your not a X-men fan.
jousha

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Darkenin13 wrote:
Also i didn't say it needed an exact comic to film interp it just needed to leave in things that made it great and cool.

Everyone has their definition of "great and cool." The movies may not have done the "fan boys" justice, but I think they were good movies. There are varying degrees of adaptations, and some quality movies have failed to stick to the wished adaptation (i.e. The Shining).

Darkenin13 wrote:
And of course the movie is going to do good, You have BIG stars, BIG Fan base, and good looking trailers HELLO!

... And still a huge fan base for the movies. Both X-men films got good enough critical acclaim and Singer is off making a new, spiffy-looking Superman movie. I think you're in the minority with this opinion.

Darkenin13 wrote:
And the animated series did a great job obviously your not a X-men fan.

Obviously.
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
jousha wrote:

... And still a huge fan base for the movies. Both X-men films got good enough critical acclaim and Singer is off making a new, spiffy-looking Superman movie. I think you're in the minority with this opinion.

Ya thats soon to be ruined too, since Singer is casting based on sexual preference and not talent.
jousha

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Darkenin13 wrote:
Ya thats soon to be ruined too, since Singer is casting based on sexual preference and not talent.
(emphasis added)

Especially Kevin Spacey--that sexy, untalented bastard!
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about the lead roll, but since you mention Spacey the same Spacey who has been accused of homosexuality throughout his career, sure why not.
Boomer

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
Animes are being made into live-action movies even in Asia itself. Has anyone seen the live-action City Hunter movie starring Jackie Chan? And Iria: Zeiram the Animation is actually an anime adaptation of a live-action movie.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Darkenin13"]
IchigoK90 wrote:

COMON' How many mutant villans are there to pick from! He probably never picked up an X-men comic or even saw the X-men animated show.

And before some of you say he had to explain everything in the time frame of a movie. If X-men the animated series can explain everything in (2episodes) of 22min each, there is no excuse.
Actually, according to the full length audio commentary on the first X-men movie DVD, Bryan Singer did say he watched all of the cartoon show, if I'm not mistaken. And when did the cartoon show explain everything in two episodes? Your last comment doesn't make any sense. You do realize that the X-men cartoon show was longer than two episodes, right?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Is a live action movie, a movie based on a cartoon that uses real people? If thats the case it will be interesting to see how they make a giant EVA.
Alex K.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Is a live action movie, a movie based on a cartoon that uses real people? If thats the case it will be interesting to see how they make a giant EVA.

A live-action movie is a movie that uses real actors, regardless of whether or not it's based on an animated series.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for clearing that up. I still wonder how they'll make a giant EVA?
Ornette

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I still wonder how they'll make a giant EVA?

Probably the same way WETA made a giant gorilla and a giant balrog.

also, a vid clip of Matt Greenfield from Tekkoshocon:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4303537030524950783

so... it's possible that maybe a movie WILL get made, eventually
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4