• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Fans Get Ready for Anime Series Finale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was quite serious. But I doubled checked and it was actually 3 1/2. I think the reason episode 3 didn't grab me was because spoiler[I didn't think the death would stick. It did catch me off guard but I thought someone would become a magical girl to wish her back. I guess thats what I get for growing up watching Dragonball Z. haha]

But I finished episode 4 and the 2nd half was intense. The show isn't what I initially expected and so far has been pretty good. And I like how it's not taking the obvious road like I thought above. I think the combination of magic girl and serious tone with the animation has me thrown for a loop. But I'm all for something a little different. I'm intrigued to see how this all ends.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Lol...

Only in Japan can the excuse "I'm opening my store late so I can watch TV" be acceptable.

In contrast, a US business can be permanently shut down if they aren't open during posted business hours for any reason.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

In contrast, a US business can be permanently shut down if they aren't open during posted business hours for any reason.
Where do you get that idea from? How can a business be beholden to the schedule that the business itself makes & posts? The business has reserved the implicit right to change its hours.

That's like saying I can be put into jail if I don't follow my Google Calendar schedule.

More on topic, it looks like I was right to wait on getting into this show.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Seen the final episodes and all I can say is:

spoiler[I'm glad to see a non cop-out ending where the title heroine doesn't come back - where a sacrifice really is a sacrifice.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Lol...

Only in Japan can the excuse "I'm opening my store late so I can watch TV" be acceptable.

In Americans too, not for TV shows, but for other TV events(world cup) and no they don't get shut down in my city.

this just show you guys moe shows own the anime world. If the characters are not moe or cute, it won't be this popular.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
pantsmca wrote:
I fail to see what's funny here...this is just straight up dedication, right here.

Riiight. You defending it just makes it funnier. What's next? Buy 10 copies of each BD and call it dedication?

Like sports fans who bodypaint themselves in team colors/letters outside in the stadium in the middle of winter during subfreezing snow with no shirts on! Laughing

Niyari wrote:
Dang that's crazy.

Also it's good to see that there are still "cool" people who feel the need to go against the grain because of how well received a show is Laughing

Remember when shows like Seinfeld and Friends were getting all the acclaim? And then you'd have partypoopers who'd say it's just a show about nothing! Laughing

Godaistudios wrote:

spoiler[I'm glad to see a non cop-out ending where the title heroine doesn't come back - where a sacrifice really is a sacrifice.]

Don't hold on to that yet. Remember how the original "Day of Destiny" ended.......... and continued. Laughing

Spotlesseden wrote:

this just show you guys moe shows own the anime world. If the characters are not moe or cute, it won't be this popular.

Unfortunately true. If it looked like the classic anime cyberpunk look, it's doubtful as many people would care. Laughing
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
As big a defender of Madoka as I am - my favorite series of the year and, so far, also of the still-young decade -, it irks me a little to read and re-read the whole spiel of "wait until episode 3, that's when it gets good." I feel as if the message were that the series sorely needed that one episode's developments to get its wings and as if what came before and after paled in comparison.
IMO, the ending of episode 4 hits harder once the audience learns more about becoming a Magical Girl in this world. And episodes 5 and 6 nicely set up the scene for the whoopers that episodes 7-9 reveal. Yes, I did find spoiler[ Mami's horrible death ] disturbing, but learning that spoiler[ the monsters the girls were fighting and killing used to be magical girls themselves, and the protagonist's best friend signed her death sentence with very little to show for it and the one attempt to rescue her soul failed miserably ] thrust the story into a whole new echelon of psychological horror, and the pacing had no little role in effectively conveying spoiler[ the world of crap the protagonists had gotten into.]
I won't get into what makes episode 10 even more important than all of the others combined. I will say that, long story short, the series did not resonate with so many fans because of one single twist near the beginning or for playing the concept of magical girls for darkness without paying attention to character development and pacing. Clocking in at 12 episodes, people on the fence should take some time out to check it out and see how and why the story gained such a following in such short time.

Godaistudios wrote:

IMO spoiler[it brought rather bad memories of My-Hime's horrible cop-out of an ending, although it came at a very high price. But the bit with Homura and Madoka's brother made it all worth it. Hell of a heartbreaking, beautiful scene there.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3