• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Stops Shipping Sword Art Online DVD Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
It's ironic seeing people complain about not affording a Bluray player in threads for way overpriced Aniplex releases. You could literally buy a Bluray player and a few other series on Bluray for the price of one short Aniplex series, even the DVD version.
Eri94

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
It's ironic seeing people complain about not affording a Bluray player in threads for way overpriced Aniplex releases. You could literally buy a Bluray player and a few other series on Bluray for the price of one short Aniplex series, even the DVD version.
This. It blows my [expletive] mind that in 2013 people still complain about how "not everyone has a blu player". Yet they sit there and buy 40$ DVD volumes. It's 2013, you shouldn't have been buying DVD since 2006.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
It's 2013, you shouldn't have been buying DVD since 2006.

try and stop me
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:

1. Not everyone owns an HD TV, therefore making a bluray player completely useless.
2. Bluray players were expensive in 2006.
3. That's a very privileged, holier-than-thou attitude ya got there bud.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
This. It blows my [expletive] mind that in 2013 people still complain about how "not everyone has a blu player". Yet they sit there and buy 40$ DVD volumes. It's 2013, you shouldn't have been buying DVD since 2006.

This. It blows my [expletive] mind that in 2013 people still complain like "everyone should have a blu player". Yet they sit there and post stupid bullshit. It's 2013, you shouldn't have been acting like a douchebag since 2006.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:

DVD quality and BD quality look the same to me. I plan to get a PS3 once the PS4 causes the price to drop. I know I'm not the only person following this plan.

I stretch my dollars.

For value.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
"He has an opinion that's not mine? HE MUST BE TROLLING!"

Having an opinion is fine. Having an opinion that is hyperbolic, asinine, and has no basis in fact IS TROLLING.

Oh, and by the way, good job trying (and failing) to "translate" my post. Rolling Eyes
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Also, Right Stuf is sold out of SAO limited editions. I wonder if they really will get more in stock.

They probably will. Aniplex is seriously loosing money by doing small print runs and only selling their stuff on a few smaller websites. This could have been a hit show. All of Aniplex's shows could have been hits. But they're marketing them like they're obscure Sentai or Nozomi shows. It's bad when a show like Shining Hearts gets better marketing and a bigger print run than Sword Art Online, Blue Exorcist, Durarara, Fate/Zero, and Madoka Magica...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:

Sad to hear but people act like Aniplex actually manufacturers these DVD's and Blu-Rays themselves in house, it's out of their control when they contract it out and the 3rd party screws up.

They should hire premium manufacturers.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Gambeno wrote:
It sucks they botched it but it happens sometimes. No ones perfect. Anyway, I bought the BD version so I'm good. It still boggles me that people watch anime on DVD over BD. I'll be glad when company's move straight to BD. Anime looks so much better in 1080p, I just can't go back to 480i.

I just recently got BD capabilities, and let me say that what breaks my balls more than the resolution is the interlacing artifacts.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I have to actually side with the people who say you should have a Blu-Ray player at this point. Honestly, the things are pretty dirt cheap now, and whether you like it or not obsolete technology isn't going to stick around and remain supported. This is particularly the case nowadays when streaming is really taking over and the home media sales numbers no longer support the idea of companies maintaining support for outdated formats. It's fine if you don't have a Blu-Ray player, but like it or not that means the support for your old format is going to dwindle as Blu-Ray players have the lions share of the market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
People who are fine with DVD players and DVD's, whether it be for pricing or just not caring about "quality" (or not having the "eye" for it) or whatever, can stick to their DVD players for as long as they wish. My father never got rid of his record player, despite those things becoming antiques. When the market shifts to BD-only and makes DVDs obsolete, I'm sure even "common people" will follow suit, thanks to cheaper prices in the future and limited supply of DVDs.

As for those who find DVDs old and just not worth their penny anymore, who can afford BDs, it's fine for them, too. It helps their experience while watching stuff and they feel like they get what they pay for (hopefully).

So it's nice to see some diversity here, but for those who are actually upset at the other side for doing things how they prefer to do them... well, it's not your life, so don't judge. =P

--------

Personally, this could be interesting. Aniplex is discouraging people to send their packages back. If they stick to this and allow people to keep the original packaged product to the end, the mislabeled DVDs (I hear that the DVDs work fine, but that many Disc 1 and Disc 2 labels were accidentally swapped) could end up worth collectible-value money that adds up to more than the price of the product itself. Due to Aniplex's packaging company's mistake, people who bought it and got the mislabeled edition could end up richer than they started... assuming the mistakes end up being worth something.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
What if this happened to Funimation what they would get a pass? Hell Sentai screws up all the time and they don't get as much flack.

Yeah, Funimation and Sentai never catch flack for screwing up releases, except for, you know, when they do. Like 3 months ago when Sentai had to recall Kids on the Slope.

Keonyn wrote:
and whether you like it or not obsolete technology isn't going to stick around and remain supported.

Tell that to the PS2, which outlasted the PS3, and only got discontinued this year.

DVD still has a huge market, and most people likely don't just have the means, or even care enough to pick up a Blu-ray player.

Last edited by LUNI_TUNZ on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrueSkin1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Just popping into say Media Blasters has the biggest #%@ quality control I've ever seen. If it's not one thing it's another with them whether it be defective discs, crappy subtitles or awful packaging with a loose disc flying around in the dvd case while shipping to my house.

All I have to say is at least Aniplex USA is taking care of the problem and meanwhile Media Blasters is still shipping out $&*@# quality dvd's and blu-rays since 2007.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I have to actually side with the people who say you should have a Blu-Ray player at this point. Honestly, the things are pretty dirt cheap now, and whether you like it or not obsolete technology isn't going to stick around and remain supported. This is particularly the case nowadays when streaming is really taking over and the home media sales numbers no longer support the idea of companies maintaining support for outdated formats. It's fine if you don't have a Blu-Ray player, but like it or not that means the support for your old format is going to dwindle as Blu-Ray players have the lions share of the market.

I myself have a Blu-ray player (but only because my dad was able to get one for free through some employee reward thing at his job), but most of the US still doesn't have one, and the ones that do don't have one for every television in their home. My house only has two (including my brother's PS3), and our home has SIX working TVs, the rest still equipped with DVD players. There's definitely still a market for DVDs. I myself try to fetch combo packs when I can so I can play the content on more TVs and on my laptop (which only supports DVDs).

Also, it's not like your average American is an entertainment aficionado like us, and needs the latest and greatest. Most are perfectly contempt with their DVD players.

In the case of SAO, like I said earlier, the price only justifies me getting the DVDs. It's not worth spending $200 extra.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5