• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dragon's Crown

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SammyClassicSonicFan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
There is nothing "snaky" about calling the president and artist a 14-year-old teenager. That's basically a far from subtle attempt to provoke the artist into responding. And once the artist shows him art that didn't feature attractive women, Kotaku immediately spun the picture of men as a "gay joke" aimed at them to further fan the flame they started.

This isn't the first time Kotaku attempted at click-baiting. Remember their attempts at getting a reaction out of Kamiya?

Kotaku is The Daily Mail or Fox News of video game journalism. Razz Yet for some reason just like them they're one of the major people in the media outlet which means a lot of people do read them and take them seriously, which is a bit disturbing. Just be glad Japanese devs actually have their integrity and principle and don't cave into their misguided armchair activism.

Quote:
Dragon's Crown is an enjoyable game if you can overlook such things, but perhaps you shouldn't.

Never change, ANN.

Chagen46 wrote:
The male characters in this game are puerile male power fantasies. They are not sexualised in the slightest. They're self-inserts for the male players of the game.

So you're telling me the majority of women don't want to be sexy or have big boobs like the majority of men don't want to be strong and muscular?

Women power fantasies just so happen to line up with men sexual fantasies Razz Just read a women's magazine once in awhile. Or, ya know, actually talk to a girl.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

I was told that was your name, but whatever. Why do you attack my views on anime and games? I have been watching anime an playing video games before you were born. You can criticize my choices, but you're not doing that. You're bashing and attacking me, for my views. Why is that? I think people are being shallow douches towards this game and I defend things, which don't deserve hate for stupid reasons.

Haha, no you weren't told shit. You saw that I'm using the display name "Yukine Chris" on Twitter, and assumed, for some crazy reason, that that was my real name. Which is silly because last time I checked, I didn't look very much like this:

Also, I'm not attacking your views on anime and games. I'm attacking you. Personally.
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The amount of attention this particular game has gotten probably CAN be blamed on Kotaku to an extent. They went beyond just criticizing and got.... rather unprofessional about it, insulting the artist. Then Kamitani responded..

Kamitani response though was even more offensive so I don't have a lot of sympathy even if Kotaku was being kind of a dick (like Gawker co. writers can sometimes be).
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
@Hitokiri1 No, that shit does not matter. Only the gameplay, controls and level design do. People play games for the game, not the look. Story, voice acting and graphics do not matter. Why do you think certain JP players buy the International versions of FF? It's not because of the voice acting. Japanese don't care about our VAs, and even if they did, they don't attempt to decipher whether or not the acting is good or not, since they can't. It's due to the extra content and boss fights.

@Fencedude I do not have Twitter. Tetsuya is very close with me and tells me everything. He and I are tight. Stop bashing me, because you have problems with him. Go unblock him and settle things like men.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Many different aspects come together to make a game great. Can you both stop filling the forum with a petty fight? This has nothing to do with the article.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Kamitani response though was even more offensive so I don't have a lot of sympathy even if Kotaku was being kind of a dick (like Gawker co. writers can sometimes be).

How the hell is calling a site out on it's repeatedly unprofessional BS offensive? o_O;
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Please explain (in 300 words or less) how "the men are just as bad as the women!"

When this:

Is the Dwarf's stun animation.

And this:

Is the Sorceress's.
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
How the hell is calling a site out on it's repeatedly unprofessional BS offensive? o_O;

It's how he did it that was really offensive.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Draneor wrote:

Kotaku was being completely unprofessional, but Kamitani's response was also very, very insulting. So yeah, no one came out of that smelling like roses.

Quote:
@Fencedude I do not have Twitter. Tetsuya is very close with me and tells me everything. He and I are tight. Stop bashing me, because you have problems with him. Go unblock him and settle things like men.

Yes yes, totally not Tenjin. Sure you aren't.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Kamitani's "You don't like my female character designs? Then you must be GAAYYYYY LOL!" response made me really question getting this game, maybe even more than the designs themselves.

Yeah, he said it was a big misunderstanding and a mistranslations, and he issued a big apology afterwards, but still...
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Yeah, Kamitani's "You don't like my female character designs? Then you must be GAAYYYYY LOL!" response made me really question getting this game, maybe even more than the designs themselves.

Yeah, he said it was a big misunderstanding and a mistranslations, and he issued a big apology afterwards, but still...

Congrats, you played right into Kotaku's hands if you think that >_> George's response wasn't a gay one, he gave them some hyper sexualized men because of all the complaining about the hypersexualized women. Kotaku being unable to counter argue in any rational way turn it into a gay joke to save their butts. That's why people hate Kotaku, they're click-bait and spin everything to benefit themselves or their views x_x and as you just demonstrated it works.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope Dragon's Crown can get an anime somehow. At least an OVA.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, I'm not attacking your views on anime and games. I'm attacking you. Personally.

Which you are hereby done doing or you get to join the recent ranks for banned individuals. The rules specificially state that personal attacks are not allowed. I'm tired of dealing with your attitudes towards other posters, and if you're just going to come in to the forums and blatantly and openly attack people personally then you don't belong here and we don't want you here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Which you are hereby done doing or you get to join the recent ranks for banned individuals. The rules specificially state that personal attacks are not allowed. I'm tired of dealing with your attitudes towards other posters, and if you're just going to come in to the forums and blatantly and openly attack people personally then you don't belong here and we don't want you here.

I'll do you one better - Fencedude and Yamadakun, if I see even one more post continuing this stupid slapfight between you two in this thread or in any other, you're both out of here for a good while.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Lets be realistic here, the majority of the fanbase of a game like Dragon's Crown is what. Probably the same fanbase that are making a ridiculous amount of Doushinji about Amazon and Sorceress. This game is not targeted at the same group that, say MLPs targets, well maybe that was a bad example, but the point being at the end of the day what is the point in pleasing a group who wouldn't even care about the game if their was no controversy.

Also for the record, why was Dragon's Crown singled out. Has anyone every played anything from Suda. Shadows was a solidy rated game even by critics, and it has a scene where you run across you naked girlfriend while copies of her pole dance around you topless. Not to mention as many times as she is pictured, she usually is wearing no more than lingere, oh and she is being brutally murdered over and over again over the course of the game. I did not hear too many complaints from that one.

Also I will point out the criticism is rather skewed. Where is the outrage when in Fallout 3, I could could enslave children and sell them to slave traders. Yes folks, that but one of the many the slightly morally ambiguous things you can do in Fallout 3. So God forbid a game shows a character with large breast, but murder, slavery, cannibalism, etc. A OK champ.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18