• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 15th Anniversary - Win A Trip to Japan!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime Expo as one of the sites? Um, that ended a couple weekends ago.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
You mean, sometime around the 7th of July, when they stopped accepting entries for that particular scavenger hunt for reasons that are hopefully obvious?

Quote:
The last chance to submit a completed entry is Sunday, July 7 at 6PM PST. After that, the codes will no longer be active (and we'll all be kicked out of the convention center anyway!).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Interesting contest though I have already been to Japan last year (BTW Japan is soooooooooo awesome BTW Yeah!!). I went to Japan the old fashioned way, I simply saved part of my paycheck each month and over the span of 8 months had enough $$$ at least to be there comfortably for 10 days. I had a bit of a hard time getting it but I was also able to obtain a Japan Rail pass in time and it was very useful.

Japan isn't as expensiive as people think it is, it's actually cheaper than going to Cancun once you save enough cash for the plane ticket and the Rail Pass (believe me I know, I go to Cancun every now and then to visit family and it's only going to get more expensive). You can buy your beer in the vending machines for about 2 USD for a larger can to save cash and I highly recommend any tourists entering Japan that is going to stay a few days in Tokyo to get a NEX/SUICA card at the airport.

I could never understand how to find the freaking NEX train at Narita and ended up as a dumb loser entering Tokyo in the snail regular metro watching with envy how the super awesome NEX train scooted away but the Suica card is sooooo easy to use even if you don't know a pint of Japanese, just dump it on the reader, it will tell you how much $ you have left and is good for all 3 different metro companies in Tokyo. Recharging the Suica is reasonably easy, just find the button in the recharging machine that changes the menu to english and dump some yen when it tells you to. As a token that I promise to come back to Japan I brought my Suica card back home with me.

I liked Kyoto, I'm more of a Tokyo lover but everyone has to see Kyoto at least once. Went to Gion at around 5 pm, sadly didn't see any Geishas running off to their jobs but I did have a killer shabu-shabu all you can eat deal for a good price. Can't reject a good buffet at a nice restaurant for 40 dollars. If you are ever in kyoto I highly suggest doing what i did and do it by renting a bike. Many hostels rent bikes at a good price like 6 dollars for all day sort of deal. The distances between the shrines is usually between 20-40 minutes on a bike depending where you want to go and how many traffic lights turn red, you'd be literally nuts to visit West Kyoto on foot unless you are in zero rush to see much (most of Kyoto looks like any other normal modern city with apartments everywhere). If you visit the temples on a bike there is a bike parking lot that costs 200 yen all day which in today's yen isn't even 1 US dollar! Good enough for me! Most tourists travel Kyoto on bus, while they were waiting for the bus I was whisking away to Ginkakuji on a bike from Ryoanji hahaha.

If you are into Evangelion, GO TO HAKONE!!!! You want the Evangelion reality tour? Hakone is where the real Tokyo III will be built. Did you guys know that the place Shinji is hiding in the tent with Keisuke in the wheat field when he runs away is just 200 meters from his school? Hahaha if you are going to take the annoyance to run away walking up the mountains and all, you don't just... do a U-turn and walk right back to your school. Stupid Shinji. Oh and I took a photos of a life size Rei mannequin in a yukata. Quite a NERDgasm.

With round plane tickets from LAX-Tokyo as cheap as just 700 USD, even if you don't win this contest Japan can be done. I did it!!!
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Is the Otakon contest page live? It doesn't look like the links are on yet or did you suspend the contest?
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm so confused! I don't see these links... can I still enter even if I missed the Anime Expo web coverage? Sad
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Has anyone found the on-site codes at Otakon? I went to both the Dealer's room and Artist alley on Saturday but didn't see anything like a code.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
Has anyone found the on-site codes at Otakon? I went to both the Dealer's room and Artist alley on Saturday but didn't see anything like a code.

I managed to find three in the dealer's room, one on the back of the tv at the Funi booth, one at the table next to them that was selling various things, one at an empty table for another convention and that's it. Didn't help that I could only see the clues after I found the first code and was taken to the page (which took a while since dear lord that room was a black hole of cell coverage for me). I'm wondering if some of the clues didn't match up since even though I found one at a con's table that wasn't the one that matched up with the "ANN has a panel here!" clue so by Sunday afternoon I just gave up, it was really too crowded to look through every single booth too.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
dragonmastr wrote:

I managed to find three in the dealer's room, one on the back of the tv at the Funi booth, one at the table next to them that was selling various things, one at an empty table for another convention and that's it. Didn't help that I could only see the clues after I found the first code and was taken to the page (which took a while since dear lord that room was a black hole of cell coverage for me). I'm wondering if some of the clues didn't match up since even though I found one at a con's table that wasn't the one that matched up with the "ANN has a panel here!" clue so by Sunday afternoon I just gave up, it was really too crowded to look through every single booth too.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize at the time of setting up the contest that there would be a host of unexpected issues (too crowded, no cell reception, etc). And actually, the clues were kind of meaningless this time around, but the form didn't update properly (all the clues were in the dealers' room).

I'd encourage everyone to enter the online contest, which is the one that's running smoothly. There are still two more codes that need to be added. I'll be sure to update when they're all there. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Edit: Okay, they're all in.
asmuke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Hi,
I found all the codes. However, when I press on links I get '<link> could not be found.'... I checked - cookies are enabled. What else should I check?
kaden0073

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
I'm very annoyed because every time I use the convention link, I end up on scroogled.com, so it seems there is more than just the ability to click on links that only are pop-ups.
sweetBlackLace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I understand that the prizes only depart from Los Angeles. However, I've noticed on the PacSet website that some of the vacation packages that are offered as the prize include departures from cities other than Los Angeles such as New York and Chicago. I'm not from the L.A. area or any part of the West Coast, but if I were to win and the package I choose has the option to leave from one of those other cities, do I still have to leave from California? Also, if I can't leave from my area (which is one of the choices, but I won't say where) with one of the 4 vacation packages, could I use the voucher instead in order to go to one of the 4 vacations or another vacation not listed as one of the choices without going to LA in order to go to Japan?

If this is confusing, here's an example:
If I live in the New York area but I don't want to bother paying extra to take two planes to and from Japan because the prize only covers to leave from and back to California, can I at least use the voucher to take, say, the Animated Summer tour so I can have a flight from New York and back from Japan when the vacation is over?

Thanks!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
sweetBlackLace wrote:
I understand that the prizes only depart from Los Angeles. However, I've noticed on the PacSet website that some of the vacation packages that are offered as the prize include departures from cities other than Los Angeles such as New York and Chicago. I'm not from the L.A. area or any part of the West Coast, but if I were to win and the package I choose has the option to leave from one of those other cities, do I still have to leave from California? Also, if I can't leave from my area (which is one of the choices, but I won't say where) with one of the 4 vacation packages, could I use the voucher instead in order to go to one of the 4 vacations or another vacation not listed as one of the choices without going to LA in order to go to Japan?

If this is confusing, here's an example:
If I live in the New York area but I don't want to bother paying extra to take two planes to and from Japan because the prize only covers to leave from and back to California, can I at least use the voucher to take, say, the Animated Summer tour so I can have a flight from New York and back from Japan when the vacation is over?

Thanks!

Yes, absolutely, the voucher would account for tours that start in a city other than LA.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
kaden0073 wrote:
I'm very annoyed because every time I use the convention link, I end up on scroogled.com, so it seems there is more than just the ability to click on links that only are pop-ups.

Which "convention link" are you referring to-- the link that has the information pertaining to the on-site specific contest? Or the actual QR entries?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
asmuke wrote:
Hi,
I found all the codes. However, when I press on links I get '<link> could not be found.'... I checked - cookies are enabled. What else should I check?

I apologize for not seeing this post until now. There are two more conventions this summer that we'll be offering the web entries for-- if that problem occurs for you again, please let us know, and we will look into it.

Did anyone else have this problem?
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I tried submitting a Japan Expo web contest entry, but I got:
Quote:
ANN 15th Anniversary Scavenger Hunt - Otakon (web entry)
Sorry, but you have already entered that contest

I was submitting a Japan Expo web entry, not an Otakon web entry, though. (I did submit an Otakon web entry when that was possible, however.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6