• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Promotes One Piece's Return With Rhyming Pirate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
lol calling SBT and Thunder Cats crap. While praising E7 Thats cute. But hey to each their own I guess.

>_> American kiddy shows don't belong on adult swim. At least Japanese kiddy shows can be justified because of their content levels and plots which is why they're so big with adults while those two shows aren't.

I'm pretty sure the content of Symbiotic Titan and Thundercats is pretty close if not completely on the level of what they've got going on in Naruto and One Piece Rolling Eyes

Not to mention that despite the fact it's adult swim, the programming block is toonami and toonami has always had some American action cartoons on it, so yeah those shows totally have a place on the block.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Still, I find Toonami's numbers to be very impressive, much better than [adult swim]'s anime ratings a year ago. If the 18-34 demo is only getting 300K, then what demographic does the other 700k come from for Bleach and Naruto?

That should be obvious, isn't it?
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The 4Kids rap was catchier.
Couldn't agree more. Steve Blum rhyming with a pirate voice did make me happy.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Still, I find Toonami's numbers to be very impressive, much better than [adult swim]'s anime ratings a year ago. If the 18-34 demo is only getting 300K, then what demographic does the other 700k come from for Bleach and Naruto?

That should be obvious, isn't it?

No, it's not. I would think it's the 15-17 demographic, but I've never read the demographic breakdowns...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
That's what I meant though. The 12-17's that generally made up the bulk of Toonami's demo, and were considered the bulk of anime viewership.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense, since the anime that Toonami shows fits into that demographic very well. Obviously it makes the most sense for a show to be most popular with it's target demographic. Plus, I'd agree that most anime fans in the US are 12-17.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I'm pretty sure the content of Symbiotic Titan and Thundercats is pretty close if not completely on the level of what they've got going on in Naruto and One Piece Rolling Eyes

you've never actually seen One Piece and Naruto have you o_o Or maybe you've just seen the 4Kids versions. They deal with way more adult subjects not to mention the blood and sex levels x_x
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
lol calling SBT and Thunder Cats crap. While praising E7 Thats cute. But hey to each their own I guess.

>_> American kiddy shows don't belong on adult swim. At least Japanese kiddy shows can be justified because of their content levels and plots which is why they're so big with adults while those two shows aren't.

Come on now, be nice. Have you seen either show? Both are very good, and SBT in particular has scenes that aren't typical kid-friendly fare. The kids wouldn't get the 80s references of SBT like having a mecha fight to A Flock of Seagulls song. Not to mention the less than kid friendliness of destroying half a city in the first episode and showing it still destroyed for many episodes after. Or the big bad snapping people's necks audibly.

SBT is really good, and you should show more respect to Genndy Tartakovsky's latest work following the awesome Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack. SBT is one of my favorite CN shows and easily worthy of being aired on Toonami. Not to mention the Toonami of the old days aired non-anime too. Remember when Justice League Unlimited premiered on Toonami?

Oh and Thundercats is also good, has its share of violence, and is animated by an anime studio no less(*edit*Studio 4C, thanks getchman).

And as others said, it's not like the Big 3 are that adult themselves. They're shonen, not seinen, which means aimed at young boys, same as the American cartoons you so hate. Plenty of adults love shows like Thundercats and SBT too, ESPECIALLY SBT.

Last edited by RogueJedi86 on Sun May 12, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Studio 4C, not Deen
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Animulover90 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
so lets see toonami is going to air all top three 3 shows?? Gee who saw this coming??

Yeah pretty much sums up for what they're up to Sad

Well shonen series promote/sell better overall than other series. I don't see this as a surprise in the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Not to mention the Toonami of the old days aired non-anime too. Remember when Justice League Unlimited premiered on Toonami?

To be fair, back in the day Toonami was a kids block so airing kid shows like Justice League probably made more sense. Now that it's an adult-swim block, it would only be parallel to that if they were adult action shows, but America doesn't really make those. People already complain that they air kids anime, so American kids shows getting more hate isn't surprising.

And as someone who has seen both those shows, I can attest to their content levels not even being close to what you find in those anime. They're kid shows through and through.

Quote:
Plenty of adults love shows like Thundercats and SBT too, ESPECIALLY SBT.

I would presume they were cancelled because they weren't popular. Plus I don't really see many adults that like it. They definitely don't exactly have a huge adult Figuarts and Doujinshi fanbases for them like Naruto and One Piece do.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
^ According to Genndy Tartakovsky, the creator of Sym-Bionic Titan, it got good ratings, but was canceled because it "didn't have enough toys" behind it. Cartoon Network doesn't care about the adult demographic for their shows at all, and puts a lot of emphasis on the toys and merchandise. Justice League (including Unlimited) lasted four seasons, but it could've lasted longer. The merchandise going dry was the reason it ended. Invader Zim was canceled by Nick for an almost identical reason.

The original Thundercats does have a huge American following, and the fandom kept up with the new show too. I personally enjoyed it. It was a Japanese co-production (Satomi Korogi even voiced Snarf), and I thought it had great, luscious animation, a very intriguing storyline, and the whole atmosphere looked very epic. I've never seen the original show, but this new one looked amazing.

Titan is a great show too of course. I love it's art style, it's action, it's premise, and the voices are all amazing. I personally enjoy it more than both Bleach and Naruto (both of which I find boring).

Also, what American fans (other than maybe anime fans) draw Doujinshi? The things you mention are common of Japanese fandoms.

I personally don't mind Toonami showing non-anime action shows. I've always seen it as more of an action block anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing Young Justice or Green Lantern: TAS on there either.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
And as others said, it's not like the Big 3 are that adult themselves. They're shonen, not seinen, which means aimed at young boys, same as the American cartoons you so hate. Plenty of adults love shows like Thundercats and SBT too, ESPECIALLY SBT.

Just to address this part, the classification does not particularly mean what you think it might. It's determined by the publisher who they want to generally, but not exclusively, target. It's not determined by content. After all, shows like High School of the Dead and To Love Ru Darkness are still Shounen.. while Hidamari Sketch and K-On are Seinen.

Anyways I think it's good that One Piece is returning in hopefully unedited form for others that still watch anime on TV, but it seems like mainstream stations even on cable are still cautious. I've read about the censorship and editing that Naruto Shippuuden suffered from on Disney X D, despite supposedly targeting older teen demographics.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Come on now, be nice. Have you seen either show?

Yup. I don't like them but thats not why I think they shouldn't be on there I think they shouldn't be on there because they're not adult. like I said at least the anime stuff has sex, blood, guts, violence and all that stuff to justify being on there since they're actually uncut this time around x_x Those American shows aired on regular Cartoon Network just fine and have kid friendly content. Destroying empty buildings and references to 80s bands are not edgy graphic content like showing people get their guts ripped open or covered in blood after being stabbed a bunch of times or rape like those kids anime have. What stuff in your shows even comes close to that? o_O;
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Yup. I don't like them but thats not why I think they shouldn't be on there I think they shouldn't be on there because they're not adult. like I said at least the anime stuff has sex, blood, guts, violence and all that stuff to justify being on there since they're actually uncut this time around x_x Those American shows aired on regular Cartoon Network just fine and have kid friendly content. Destroying empty buildings and references to 80s bands are not edgy graphic content like showing people get their guts ripped open or covered in blood after being stabbed a bunch of times or rape like those kids anime have. What stuff in your shows even comes close to that? o_O;
Yeah, because only shows with sex and violence are suitable for an "adult" audience. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8