• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HENNEKO Author: Anime's Foreign Product Placement to Be Removed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
最近の韓国推しにはうんざりしているというのにアニメにまで韓国ネタを散りばめるのはやめていただきたいです

"Though I say I'm sick of all the pro-Korea stuff (in the media) lately, they're even scattering Korean material into anime now, and I wish they would stop."

It's an endless negative feedback loop. There's a fervent anti-Japan faction in Korea that's never forgiven Japan for its wartime atrocities there. They blame everything on Japan, and teach their children to hate Japanese. A portion of the Japanese population reacts against this portion of the Korean population by trashing anything Korean. News of their anti-Koreanism then makes its way over to Korea and becomes "just more proof" that Japan is still the enemy. And on and on it goes.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:16 am Reply with quote
While I would agree that the creator was probably well within his rights as the owner of the work to not have anything extraneous added to the animated work, the way he went about exercising his rights were highly unrefined (to be polite - i could use other terms), and reflect poorly on himself and his whole nation.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:12 am Reply with quote
Why do I have a feeling that a majority of this thread is filled with priveleged white people so unattuned to racism they don't even notice it.

Oh wait, that's because it is.

Must be real fun, being so priveleged you can't see two goddamn feet in front of yourself.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Why do I have a feeling that a majority of this thread is filled with priveleged white people so unattuned to racism they don't even notice it.

Must be real fun, being so priveleged you can't see two goddamn feet in front of yourself.

[EDIT: Inappropriate comment removed. - Key]

On topic to this post, racism happens everyday in our natural lives. Through war and strife East Asia tries to keep maintain balance and respect in utmost countries. When you have product placement in for countries like Korea in your show and make it sell in a self-racist country like Japan or China, you better keep have a reason or face loss of sales and high backlash.

Racism is everywhere and ignorance is forever bliss
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

We're talking about Japan. They come from a completely different set of social and cultural roots and don't necessarily believe this is "racism" (and, of course, it'd be a really bad thing to bring it up as such). Ignorant or not, the "best" decision for them to avoid the most trouble is to fix the "issue" and be done with it.
Also, if you notice, the author was angry because they caused more work for the animation studio when they're already on a tight schedule. In Japan, that's a no-no and just as bad as racism, should they ever acknowledge it as such.

We're not being racist. I know very well what racism entails.
But at the very least, their decision makes sense, as the only thing leaving the advertisement in would do is hurt their sales by a significant figure. The fans do control the media. And that's just how it is, thanks to Japan's particular values in its culture, whether we in the West understand it or not.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
So otakus in Japan are mad that a K-pop boyband, Infinite is advertising itself on the manga, yet this is the same Japan that won't export J-dramas and J-pop outside of Asia to compete with Korea on the international level

Mind you, there were real tries to release dramas outside Asia. They didn't work.

Oh, and Japanese broadcasters do offer they dramas for licensing. I know it because I had their leaflets in my hands.

That's funny, I'm seeing Korean dramas doing really well around the world. So what does that prove? Asian dramas can do well outside of Asia. I look at the #of J-dramas online, there's only quite a few, while there are more K-dramas and Chinese-language dramas (from Taiwan, Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Singapore) then J-dramas. Let me give you the real number of J-dramas I found on legal streaming sites:

Viki-6 J-dramas

Crunchyroll-9 J-dramas

Dramafever-2 J-dramas

and yet I can find more K-dramas and Chinese language dramas on those 3 sites then J-dramas.

I like to add that Arirang TV and KBS World broadcast K-dramas for international audience, while NHK World never broadcast J-drama in the US or anywhere else, so why didn't Japan broadcast J-drama on NHK World if they wanted to show J-drama outside of Japan to international audience? If Japanese broadcasters had problem licensing J-dramas to other part of the world, why not have NHK World broadcast J-drama to international audiences just like how Arirang TV and KBS World broadcast K-drama to international audiences? So what does that tell you? Japan is not putting any effort on promoting J-drama, this is why Japan is getting beaten by Korea on a international level. Japan is not putting any effort to export more J-dramas, if they did that, I would've seen like maybe 50 to 100 J-dramas on those 3 sites already, but nope just quite a few while K-dramas and Chinese language dramas are way ahead of J-drama in term of availability and the catalogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We're talking about Japan. They come from a completely different set of social and cultural roots and don't necessarily believe this is "racism" (and, of course, it'd be a really bad thing to bring it up as such). Ignorant or not, the "best" decision for them to avoid the most trouble is to fix the "issue" and be done with it.

Bullshit. "It's a different culture" is bullshit--racism is racism, no matter where it's from. The KKK thought that what they did wasn't racist, what didn't stop it from being racism.

This is insane. You're literally commiting apologism for the incrediblly disgusting acts Japan has committed in the past. Look up the Japanese annexation of Korea before you do as such again.

I'm glad the civil rights movement has already happened, you'd be telling me that the KKK is a "different culture" and that I should just be cool with their terrorism of my race.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Bullshit. "It's a different culture" is bullshit--racism is racism, no matter where it's from. The KKK thought that what they did wasn't racist, what didn't stop it from being racism.

This is insane. You're literally commiting apologism for the incrediblly disgusting acts Japan has committed in the past. Look up the Japanese annexation of Korea before you do as such again.

I'm glad the civil rights movement has already happened, you'd be telling me that the KKK is a "different culture" and that I should just be cool with their terrorism of my race.

Comparing the Japanese worse acts than the KKK

Confused

[EDIT: Inappropriate comment removed. This is now twice in the same thread. Any further offenses will have your whole posts removed. - Key]
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
When I'm in Japan or elsewhere in southeast Asia, the shoe is on the other foot. I'm the white guy, the obvious minority. Usually things are great but some days cabs won't stop for me... It happens. It is natural really but still annoying.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Well have you checked your privileged today, IF not then I suggest you check'em now before you get your two front teeth knocked and that face rearranged as well.

That was completely uncalled for, and it only serves to accentuate your lack of maturity and civility.

Juno016 wrote:
We're talking about Japan. They come from a completely different set of social and cultural roots and don't necessarily believe this is "racism" (and, of course, it'd be a really bad thing to bring it up as such). Ignorant or not, the "best" decision for them to avoid the most trouble is to fix the "issue" and be done with it....

But it is racism.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Given that those "racist twats" would be the customers on whom the producers' livelihoods depend, I'd say they have every right to control the media that panders their way.

Racism is acceptable so long as it benefits the bottom line?
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:02 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
While I would agree that the creator was probably well within his rights as the owner of the work to not have anything extraneous added to the animated work, the way he went about exercising his rights were highly unrefined (to be polite - i could use other terms), and reflect poorly on himself and his whole nation.

I don't know about Japanese contracts, but in America the original creator pretty much gives up all creative control over movie or TV adaptations. I suspect this author did as well. Now he's bitching about a single background in a single scene as if his creation was somehow violated? Considering the amounts of complaining I hear from manga readers about anime adaptations, the author should be lucky if this is the only alteration in his original work.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
FLEABttn wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Given that those "racist twats" would be the customers on whom the producers' livelihoods depend, I'd say they have every right to control the media that panders their way.

Racism is acceptable so long as it benefits the bottom line?

According to the closet racists in this thread, yes.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm not saying it's "right" or "fine" for them to be "racist." I'm just saying that Japanese culture works on a completely different set of rules, so freaking out and calling for racist acknowledgement on an anime is one of the least productive counter-measures to racism in Japan. It's almost akin to a Christian/Atheist telling the other to believe in God/stop believing in God or they will go to hell/live their life being "stupid." No one's going to change as a result because it's so intertwined in their life to be how it already is. This likely happened partially as a result of racism, but in a case like this, the unfortunate "best" circumstance is to call it out as an overlooked mistake and fix it.

Also, comparing Japan now to the past during imperialism/the war is also akin to comparing America today to its past with slavery. There will always be factions who look to those instances and hold on to those outdated values, and there is still some work to be done to put everyone in a better place, but the world isn't perfect and there are better ways of handling the issue than recalling the past and equating the issue now to the issue then.

yuna49 wrote:
I don't know about Japanese contracts, but in America the original creator pretty much gives up all creative control over movie or TV adaptations. I suspect this author did as well. Now he's bitching about a single background in a single scene as if his creation was somehow violated? Considering the amounts of complaining I hear from manga readers about anime adaptations, the author should be lucky if this is the only alteration in his original work.

Japanese light novel/manga creators, depending on the situation, typically have a lot of creative control over the adaption. They just choose not to say anything, and for a variety of reasons. For one, they're a bit too busy otherwise to care enough. And two, even when they care, they usually prefer not to raise a fucus over changes (even as they may comment about it in a negative light later). In this case, it looked like the animation company already planned on fixing it for the BD/DVD release (probably as a reaction to the fans) and he, after knowing this, made his comment here.

Last edited by Juno016 on Mon May 06, 2013 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
I think you'll notice discrimination eventually if you're in Japan and you're not Japanese. It won't be direct or have any heat in it, but it won't be invisible. Stuff like them assuming you can't speak Japanese, so when/if you do, it can really surprise them. Then they'll open up and be nice and courteous, more than usual. But either way, you'll always be a foreigner and prejudices will always exist unless Japan seems more ethnicities and races mix in. Calling them out on overt racism will likely just offend them and you'll lose their attention and respect, that's not how Japan operates, nothing is ever direct. Just a generalization, of course.

The best way to earn respect instantly while being a foreigner is to be a teacher of some kind. So go teach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7