• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Milky Holmes Cast to Voice My Little Pony in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Yes, yes it would be. "MY RITTWE POWNY TWIRIGHT SPAWKLE SUPER AMAZING ADVENTURES GO!!! Anime hyper" Or something like that Laughing

I was trying my hardest to stay the hell out of this thread altogether but then someone reported this.

Did it not occur to you that this is incredibly racist? Would you like to pull your eyes back and go "CHING CHONG WING WONG" for us next?

Have like an ounce of common sense. Christ.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Yes, yes it would be. "MY RITTWE POWNY TWIRIGHT SPAWKLE SUPER AMAZING ADVENTURES GO!!! Anime hyper" Or something like that Laughing

I was trying my hardest to stay the hell out of this thread altogether but then someone reported this.

Did it not occur to you that this is incredibly racist? Would you like to pull your eyes back and go "CHING CHONG WING WONG" for us next?

Have like an ounce of common sense. Christ.

I do deeply apologize, in retrospect that was a very VERY bad attempt at a pointless cheesy joke on my part. I sincerely apologize. Embarassed

Edit: Although I will argue I do have a fair amount of common sense, I do however like others, also sadly have my fair share of blond moments. Again, my bad, I wasn't thinking when I made the post, I swear it won't ever happen again.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Doubt this would happen, but I would absolutely enjoy the thought of Rie Kugimiya as Fluttershy.

Honestly, aside from the respect it pays to high fantasy, I don't find MLP all that groundbreaking. However, I do appreciate that it's part of a western animation landscape that is better-than-okay.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
You mean like you jump on anything that's not originated in Japan as if its very existence causes you great physical pain and agony? Your Japanophilia is so beyond ridiculous that you have about as little credibility as is even possible in these matters.

That's a lot of projecting... all I'm saying is people love to blow up just how big something is in Japan to the point of absurdity, especially without any kind of scholarly basis to back it up. Simple clarification and order is hardly something to get to upset over. Even as other people like Fronzel mentioned, those "4koma" people love to use as examples aren't Japanese to begin with. Apparently something doesn't need to be Japanese to be used as leverage for Japan. If pointing this out is "Japanophilia" rather than the act of going out of your way of creating fake manga/doujinshi to emulate Japan as much as possible, then we clearly have different viewpoints of what 'Japanophilia' actually is.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I hate to break it to you buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Yes, I saw some of those doujinshi at C83. But keep in mind a lot of those were also written by westerners, like mentioned above.

Last edited by TitanXL on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Or it'll end up like Avatar and bomb and get cancelled before even half the episodes air.

According to Bryan Konietzko and Mike DiMartino, the creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender, Nick Japan actually pulled the show before it had a chance to air in Japan due to a licensing issue/disagreement. They mentioned this in an interview when asked about their disappointments because they wanted their show to air in Japan, and get feedback from the country that made the animation that inspired them.

I'm not a MLP fan, but I'll love to see the marketing and official crossover stuff that could come from this. Manga? Anime? Adorable plushies? It'll be fun!

Romi Paku plays Finn in the Japanese dub of Adventure Time? That is stellar casting! Smile
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Edit: Although I will argue I do have a fair amount of common sense, I do however like others, also sadly have my fair share of blond moments.

When your apology for saying something racist contains an expression that is often demeaning to women, you may want to step back and think about how you pick your words. Not saying you intend to come across that way, but some self- examination may be in order.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Edit: Although I will argue I do have a fair amount of common sense, I do however like others, also sadly have my fair share of blond moments.

When your apology for saying something racist contains an expression that is often demeaning to women, you may want to step back and think about how you communicate.

OK how about this I won't ever say anything that ever pertains to any type of real human being ever and just talk about and compare things to fictional characters i'll say Patrick Star moments instead, is that more acceptable?

Also @Crispy: I have actually never been to any chan board of any kind, but thanks for the recommendation. Laughing

Last edited by Soundmonkey44 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonny Manz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Jonny Manz wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Also, maybe an MLP Manga, would be a nice compliment to the U.S. comic.

That would be, to quote Rainbow Dash, "SO! AWESOME!"

But yeah, sounds like BUSHIROAD really has their shiz together, Hasbro made a smart choice in letting them be the ones to distribute it in Japan, I trust they will do a good job.

Keep on Trottin around the globe and prosper MLP.

Now if only we could make Adventure Time big in Japan as well, we'd be gold! Anime hyper.

This. Though that does make me wonder about Regular Show in Japan (and also whether it will be censored, like most foreign dubs of the show seem to be; though considering it's Japan, I doubt it). That's for another topic, another time, however, so I digress.
Agent355 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Or it'll end up like Avatar and bomb and get cancelled before even half the episodes air.

According to Bryan Konietzko and Mike DiMartino, the creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender, Nick Japan actually pulled the show before it had a chance to air in Japan due to a licensing issue/disagreement. They mentioned this in an interview when asked about their disappointments because they wanted their show to air in Japan, and get feedback from the country that made the animation that inspired them.

Romi Paku plays Finn in the Japanese dub of Adventure Time? That is stellar casting! Smile

Wow, that sucks! I certainly don't think that'll happen to FiM (or at least, I pray that it doesn't). Also, I agree on that casting point! Makes me want to search out clips on YouTube now.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

How old is that statement, I wonder? I saw snippits of the second season in Japanese... I would assume that means the first season aired there the year before... though I suppose that's still just an assumption. Either way I guess it's all moot in this day and age,
Crystal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
Is the reason this is reported is because it's the same cast as Milky Holmes? Japanese voice casts for American cartoons are rarely, if ever, reported here.

I don't get why stuff like My Little Pony is popular with the anime crowd but stuff like Motorcity isn't, which has more of the things fans tend to like about anime (detail, character development). Heck, Thundercats was a more anime-like, more detailed, much better 80s cartoon revival. And Faust's previous show (Foster's Home) was better, more quiet, less Tastes Like Diabetes anyway, why wasn't IT this popular?

It seems kinda shallow to like a cartoon more because it's based on a franchise/because it's more popular . . .
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Is the reason this is reported is because it's the same cast as Milky Holmes? Japanese voice casts are rarely reported here.

I don't get why stuff like My Little Pony is popular with the anime crowd but stuff like Motorcity isn't, which has more of the things fans tend to like about anime (detail, character development). Heck, Thundercats was a more anime-like, more detailed, much better 80s cartoon revival. And Faust's previous show (Foster's Home) was better, more quiet, less Tastes Like Diabetes anyway.

It seems kinda shallow to like a cartoon more because it's based on a franchise/because it's more popular . . .

First off, I too loved the Thundercats reboot and am ashamed that Cartoon Network treated it so poorly *Oh well at least we have reruns on Toonami*

Anywho Back to the topic at hand. There is NOTHING shallow about liking MLP. Heck the franchise was even considered a second stringer B &/or C grade toy to its intended demographic till the new incarnation came along.

Yes there are people who get into because its "Trending" but the same can be said for any media. I like the show because its a positive, mostly well animated & well written series that has an enjoyable & relatable cast of characters and an interesting fantasy/slice of life tone to it.

I also like it because I feel the team behind it *Like with Adventure Time & Regular Show* Genuinely care about what they are doing and about the quality of the product they release.

Yeah its not a perfect show, *season 3 has had oodles of pacing problem* but its heart warming, well made piece of domestic animation, which *IMO* like good media in general is getting increasingly hard to find.

Again i'm sure theres people out there that like it for shallow reasons, but i'm certainly not one of them. I judge each anime & cartoon I watch for what it is, and I like or dislike it for what it is, noting more, nothing less.

*Although I do admitingly compare newer versions of anime & cartoons to their older counterparts...but hey, who doesn't Anime hyper*
Jonny Manz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

Like Soundmonkey44 said, I'm sure there are some people that jumped on the brony bandwagon, but I am not one of them (and judging from his words, neither is he). I like this cartoon because I genuinely love it for what it is (the fact that I also really love the fandom helps)
Also, I dunno what it is, but I never really liked Foster's too much; don't know why. It wasn't that I hated it, it's just not my cup of tea, I suppose (just like it sounds like FiM isn't your cup of tea; fair enough)
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I don't get why stuff like My Little Pony is popular with the anime crowd but stuff like Motorcity isn't, which has more of the things fans tend to like about anime (detail, character development). Heck, Thundercats was a more anime-like, more detailed, much better 80s cartoon revival. And Faust's previous show (Foster's Home) was better, more quiet, less Tastes Like Diabetes anyway, why wasn't IT this popular?

>_> I'm an anime fan and I hate it. Don't lump everyone together just because they like anime. Motorcity and Thundercats and Avatar and Tron Legacy and whatever else you want to use aren't as "popular" as My Little Pony? Well My Little Pony is a meme. None of those other shows are. Those shows don't have a vocal fanbase to talk about them. Ratings-wise, MLP does worse than those shows.. that would be the silent majority in action. Just look at how Spongebob gets over ten times as many viewers as My Little Pony, but is nowhere near as talked about. Most fans of Spongebob don't feel the need to flaunt it or talk about it. We doen't have Spongebros after all. >_> You should be glad you don't have any brony equivalents in those fanbases. That's not something you should want.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Crystal wrote:

>_> I'm an anime fan and I hate it. Don't lump everyone together just because they like anime. Motorcity and Thundercats and Avatar and Tron Legacy and whatever else you want to use aren't as "popular" as My Little Pony? Well My Little Pony is a meme. None of those other shows are. Those shows don't have a vocal fanbase to talk about them. Ratings-wise, MLP does worse than those shows.. that would be the silent majority in action. Just look at how Spongebob gets over ten times as many viewers as My Little Pony, but is nowhere near as talked about. Most fans of Spongebob don't feel the need to flaunt it or talk about it. We doen't have Spongebros after all. >_> You should be glad you don't have any brony equivalents in those fanbases. That's not something you should want.

MLP is actually one of the highest rated shows on the HUB and each season the premires ratings increase. But as for ratings less people get the HUB then Nick, Cartoon Network or Disney, so yeah.....

Its not just a meme, its not ironic, people legitimately enjoy it, if that bothers you thats fine, but yeah, its a legitimate fan base, just like anime, just like Trekkies, just like anything else, hate it all you want but its here. Will it shrink when the "Hipsters" get out of it, yes, *Thankfully* it will, but it will still exist. So please calm your hate bro, LOVE & TOLERATE!

Hmm maybe I should educate you... This video might help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-OF9wZWDs
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
That's a lot of projecting... all I'm saying is people love to blow up just how big something is in Japan to the point of absurdity, especially without any kind of scholarly basis to back it up. Simple clarification and order is hardly something to get to upset over. Even as other people like Fronzel mentioned, those "4koma" people love to use as examples aren't Japanese to begin with. Apparently something doesn't need to be Japanese to be used as leverage for Japan. If pointing this out is "Japanophilia" rather than the act of going out of your way of creating fake manga/doujinshi to emulate Japan as much as possible, then we clearly have different viewpoints of what 'Japanophilia' actually is.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I hate to break it to you buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Yes, I saw some of those doujinshi at C83. But keep in mind a lot of those were also written by westerners, like mentioned above.

And you love to trash anything that isn't Japanocentric to the point of absurdity. What's your point? Heck, your soapboxing constantly with your prejudice has made you one of the most reported users on the forums. The moment I saw this thread I immediately said "Oh look, TitanXL will be in there sure as a moth to flame" and you did not disappoint. Heck, I was in Skype at the time, so people can back up that this is exactly what I said.

I could not care less what your take is on it. If people are guilty of doing as you say then you are just as guilty as being unfairly dismissive due to your own overblown obsessions and prejudice. I simply find it amusing you're in here attacking the credibility of others when you've managed to whittle your own to nothing to so many people here. Are there westerner made doujinshi? Sure. Doesn't necessarily mean that there's no fanbase there to receive the series or that there's plenty of legit content that is not western invented, for doujinshi and otherwise. Your leaps to irrational conclusions based on minimal information only betrays your own bias, as usual. View it as "projecting" all you want, but there's hardly a person on this forum that doesn't recognize you for what you are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12