• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Deadline Hollywood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I've come up with is that the actual medium of animation itself is what does it for me. As strange as it seems, I almost feel like animated characters come across as more real to me than their live-action counterparts. I mean, when you look at any live-action production, you're always going to see the actual people playing their roles, and I think I usually tend to think along the lines of something like, "Oh hey, there's George Clooney and Matt Damon!" It takes a very very rare performance, something like Gregory Peck in "To Kill a Mockingbird," to make me see the actor as the character. In contrast, the characters in an animated work are originally created to take on their specific roles, and even though you may recognize the actors voicing them, there's always that additional level of separation that enables you to look at them as literally embodying their roles. I'm not sure if that sounds weird to anything else, but I originally got into anime as a general fan of animation, and it's that sort of thought process that lets me enjoy things like slice-of-life that I'd have no patience for in a live-action format.

You're not the only one, as I've thought the exact same thing as one reason I prefer animation over live action. For example, I can't watch a Tom Cruise movie anymore without remembering the couch jumping incident. And forget Mel Gibson movies. That guy is a whackadoo. Braveheart is ruined for me. We are bombarded with celebrities in the media so I have a hard time imagining them as the characters they are trying to play at times. With animation, I am able to forget the actor playing the role and just enjoy the story.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
Seca wrote:
As an anime fan since the mid-90s I think it's a bit safe to say that back then you kinda had to be open to trying new genres or ones that you didn't like in Western media with anime or you just didn't watch much anime as the selection was pretty lacking.

Nowadays I do have my preferred genres in both Western and Japanese media but if something has enough buzz around it I'll give it a shot at least.

You have a point there, actually... I was trying to recall why my taste in anime used to be really broad when I first started watching when I was in jr high and high school, and why it's really not anymore (comparatively speaking). The answer absolutely is that, back then, there was no Netflix, no streaming, etc, so the only way to get anime was to buy fansubbed tapes online/through the local comic book store or rent what Blockbuster had to offer (hint: Akira, another copy of Akira, the Vampire Princess Miyu OVA, and 3x3 Eyes). Or watch Toonami of course, which is why I was once a Ronin Warriors fan.

These days I tend to stick with things I'm pretty sure I'm going to like, the same way I do when choosing books or movies. I have a strict NO ROM-COM rule for any medium, for example.
However, I always check out the preview guides here on ANN just to make sure I don't miss something in a genre I would normally ignore, the same way I read movie reviews online. Always willing to try something new!

Last edited by Saturn on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:23 am; edited 2 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
My hearts goes out to the people at Tuscon who faced this horrible event. I've been watching the news about it since the massacre happen.

Anyway, back on topic. As soon as I saw the first question about Black Swan looking too much like Perfect Blue, arggh. It reminds me of this other Answerman question. Great, first people keep comparing Inception to Paprika, and now this. If any people plan to say that Black Swan is a rip-off of Perfect Blue, then why don't we attack Star Wars for ripping off Kurosawa's film, and say Lucas is a fruad while we're at it. Stop bringing up film that looks too much like anime. I'm really tired of this. Of course there's going to be film that look like another. Does that mean they copied it off, no it doesn't unless you evidence to back this up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
The reason in my mind for the willingness to give things a fair shake is actually quite simple. That is that unlike many US works most anime defies genre norms.

At the video rental store you can always pick a genre and find a film you will enjoy based upon genre. With anime it is not that simple, directors will often change content. Many anime cross genre boundaries or even hop them, constantly switching genre. Take Gurren Lagann, do you class it as action? Then what about the drama, romance etc? More recently Tatami Galaxy, where do you even begin with that one? Gosick which is just beginning, well it's a sort of period drama/romance maybe?/ detective/magical/fantasy thing? Another beginning Fractale, well it's sci fi/fantasy of course but then how do you class the rest of it? Hourou Musuko/Wandering Son, another I don't really want to take a stab at.

Put simply there is less of a genre constriction in anime, and shows to a large degree go where they want. Perhaps somewhat due to the fact that so many of them are based on written products manga/novels, unlike US works which are usually made for the format.

No; just no.

I don't know if where this originated - if it was from electronica/techno fans or hispter kids or what - but not every show needs to have every piece of it scrutinized to determine it's genre. I'm not familiar with the other shows you mentioned but I am with with Gurren Lagann. You want to know how I classify Gurren Lagann? It's a goddamned robot show. It's more Mainger Z than Z Gundam, if you want to get particular; science fiction if I have to be really broad. The drama and the romance that's in it? Inconsequential to determining its genre. When I am in the mood for romance, I'm going to look towards something like Maison Ikkoku or Marmalade Boy, not Gurenn Lagann.

These sorts of attempts to nail down every aspect of a show can also have severe consequences, like Aura Battler Dunbine - should I call it a robot show? It was made by Sunrise in the 80s, after all (and it features a bunch of robots!) or a fantasy show (because it takes place in a world resembling medieval times with fairies and such)? It's going to resonate with the robot crowd much more than it is the fantasy crowd; so it's a robot show. Don't get me wrong - Dunbine's a good, goddamned robot show but if I'm in the off mood for fantasy, I'm going to look for something like Record of Lodoss War or Berserk.

Many anime do not "cross genres". They may incorporate aspects of other genres for plot or characterization. I think the anime Touch is one that many would argue that it is equal parts 'sports' and 'romance'. I would argue that it is a sports show because baseball is ever present, even though there are a lot of romantic links (and damn good ones at that!). Cross Game, by the same author, is very much in the same vein. I've had people watch Touch and like it either because of or despite the romance but neither of them would classify it as a romance series, either.

There seems to have been this movement in the past five, ten, eleven years to describe every feature of an anime as its "genre" - which seems to be where you are getting this idea that "anime crosses genres all the time" and "how do you class[ify] XYZ?". That's not the case. A work should be classified into a genre - something that's fairly general but rigid enough to have some quantifiable criteria. Each genre has different sub-genre or movements that further divide works into like categories.

tl;dr - trying to list every facet of a cartoon as its genre is just as lazy and creatively dishonest as making and choosing from laundry list of fetishes for your lead females a la Welcome to the NHK.

Editor wrote:
Editor's Note: This column is being published on January 14th, 2011, exactly 10 years to the day of the very first Answerman column's publication.

Thanks for that blast from the past!

Zac wrote:
I was honestly surprised how many good questions came in - I was expecting a few zillion “When is (blank) DVD coming out?” questions.

The First Answerman Article wrote:
[first question is essentially when is the Cowboy Bebop movie coming out]

Didn't waste anytime on that one, did we? Laughing
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I can see why Amazing Nurse Nanako was just something that no one would ever expect to see stateside. But I nearly raged when that person called the dub "horrible voice acting". New Generation Pictures, one of the best dubbing studios out there, dubbed that, and it was even the debut of the great Patrick Seitz. One can only wonder if the people in charge of NGP will be pissed at that person for badmouthing their dub.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I own the Princess Rouge DVD. A friend showed it to me once, and when I saw it in the used bin at Suncoast I had to have it. I'm dead serious. Wanna know why? Outtakes. Princess Rouge has some of the best frickin' outtakes I've ever heard! Seriously, I have told people to watch the show for the sole purpose of getting the full enjoyment of the outtakes. I wish I had a link or something to show you, but I can't find anything. Crying or Very sad
stararnold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
It's important to note that some genres used by the film and television industry per country describe the format a story is presented in (whether theatrical film, OVA, miniseries, net animation, documentary, etc), and seeing that live-action and animation both appear in film and television, both are likely to be considered by many as format genres of an entire industry. For years, TV and film have been considered by many to be together as one medium/industry with video games, theatre plays, comic books, music, painting, drawing, sculpture, and novels as separate other mediums. Plus, for Japan to consider Anime and Live-Action film/TV as separate mediums/industries would mean for each film/TV company to have to choose between doing animation and doing live-action for the standard of doing T.V. or film, regardless of thematic elements defining each produced work.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
Hey! I almost cried my eyes out watching Doggy Poo. It was just... so.. deep, man. It struck right at the core of me. Okay... maybe part or all of that was because I was at a con when they showed it at 4AM and hadn't slept all night and lay in the back of a video room completely out of it. Still... that sxxx touched me, man.
rubixcubd60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The thing with anime fans, that I've noticed, is that we are, for the most part, accepting of the things about anime we don't like. We give them a fair shake. We will at least give a title a fair shot, even if it's part of a sub-genre that isn't usually our cup of tea. Because it's still anime, and we like anime.

That's very true, however those that think this phenomenon is unique to anime are very wrong. One must remember that in every genre there are many subgenres. I am a Sci-Fi fan, and I can honestly say that I have read some sci-fi that had it not been for the setting I would not have touched with a 10 foot pole. I have read space romance, space detectives, even space dragons, not because I like these things (well except perhaps the dragons) but because they were sci-fi and I love that.
SerryHeart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I still have the Princess Rouge DVD as a reminder to always remember to research what I want to buy. I remember that I was just getting into anime with the Sailor Moon series. That progressed to Fushigi Yugi, a great buy which I still watch when I want to reminisce (and nothing does that better then dusting off the old VCR that I can't believe still works). For some reason I thought this would be a great match to that genre and I bought what I thought would be the start to a new collection. Only after the ill fated purchase was I told...Oh yes, this was actually the final project for some students and it was never continued after the class graduated. Well darn! Worst purchase ever...well, that and Elf Princess Rane (I bought it on the same day so technically that does not count as a repeated mistake, right?).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
SerryHeart wrote:
well, that and Elf Princess Rane

Hey! That got quite a buzz in the fansub circles! Laughing
loka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
I am willing to give several fingers for the Karin (from Karin/Chibi Vampire) body pillow. Have been searching / asking Japanese associates for around 5 years now.

The nendoroid Shana Dengeki Dioh version has been hopelessly out of my reach for some time now. I suppose that doesn't count, since I can still obtain it for the low markup of $150. Same for Alien Nine: Emulators.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote
Brian Hanson wrote:
fingerpointing [sic] over issues
I have ten family members in Tuscon, I will tell you what they say. It is less about "issues" as it is about "psychosis". And believe you me that happens everywhere regardless. They have been appalled about how it was immediately politicized without proof. It has been a trying time in my household, and I sympathize as much as I can. I pray and hope for all the survivors and the family members and the ones who were close to them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3