• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Hires Shane Black for Hollywood Death Note Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
There going to fudge it up here and with all this 3D stuff going on now its only going to get worse
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
There going to fudge it up here and with all this 3D stuff going on now its only going to get worse

Provided that Shane doesnt bow down to Studio meddling and politics...He has much more integrity with his work than that.
mezzaleonhart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Personally I feel Death Note could be made very successfully as an American film. Although it has a Japanese setting, the world of Death Note is not overly "Japanese" with its culture, unlike for example Fruits Basket (an adaptation which I am DREADING!!!), and so the translation to an American setting and culture should not damage the story too much.
All the movie needs to be good is a good script, director and cast. The director seems to be a good start, and the thought that they have redrafted the script to stick close to the source material is also encouraging. Cast seems to be the one remaining road block. I'm preparing my deflector shields now because I know I'm going to get burnt for this but - I actually wouldn't mind Zac Efron >.< he is a talented actor, and one who is very keen to break free (dammit no hsm pun meant i swear) of his disney image. This may just be the break he needs to be considered a serious actor. The character I am concerned about is not Light (for there are many capable actors out there who could fill the part) but L... there is a fine line between L being quirky and cute to just being plain creepy and they need to make sure the balance swings in his favour, and to do this they need to get him right. That could actually be the most important thing in selling this to the fans.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Judging by my opinion of nearly every video game and anime Hollywood adaptation I've seen thus far, I'm going to set my expectations of this movie to "Ultra Low."

Maybe I'll get a pleasant surprise? If not, oh well.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I would enjoy seeing a different take on Death Note. Kind of like the first Resident Evil movie, instead of bastardizing characters from the games, they just made it seem somewhat plausible that it could have happened in a different part of the city(I know they messed this up in the sequels, but bear with me).

Simply make it a grim reaper drops his killing tool (a notebook instead of a scythe, contrary to popular belief heh) near an American teenager that has similar traits to Light, and a reclusive detective similar to L goes after him(doesn't necessarily have to be any specific nationality, he does work internationally after all), and just let the story go in whatever direction would work better in an American setting.

Everyone seems to complain about the original work's ending anyways, so I don't see how some decent alterations should piss people off. I'd rather see something a little different than the same story the 4th time.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
"Warner Hires Shane Black for Hollywood Death Note Film"

Y'all have fun with that. I'm sure we can expect some more extreme dramatic close ups on potato chips as well as some more delightful excessive glare shots. Only this time it'll be white people.

And they wonder why are people purchasing fewer movie tickets.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Well, Death Note survived those awful Japanese live action movie adaptations. Why not? I really don't care one way or another. Maybe by some miracle this will be a decent adaption of the books.

Exactly. It's not like it can get any worse than how those movies turn out.
magel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
lets send a message to Shane Black in facebook and twiter etc telling to dont mess up
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
I understand why they are doing this. Hollywood does not/will not create new original screenplays

"Hollywood" creates (or rather produces movies based upon) original screenplays all the time. Seriously, of the movies playing at my nearest cinema out of 3 out of 19 are remakes or adaptations. I'm sick to death of hearing this argument every time a high profile adaptation or remake gets announced, because it's totally divorced from reality.
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
“It’s my favorite manga, I was just struck by its unique and brilliant sensibility,” Black said. “What we want to do is take it back to that manga, and make it closer to what is so complex and truthful about the spirituality of the story, versus taking the concept and trying to copy it as an American thriller. Jeff Robinov and Greg Silverman liked that.”

Just keep this(Shane's statement from original article on Deadline.com) in mind regarding his approach to the material during discussion.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and he seems better at R-rated films than the PG-13 kind. I liked Monster Squad, but it's as stuck in the 80s as its Goonies brethren. And Death Note is supposed to be a bit darker than either film.

Sweetre: I noticed he said it's his favorite manga. Does that mean he reads manga in general?

rinmackie: DB could've been done reasonably well. I mean, Forbidden Kingdom is basically another adaptation of the original Journey to the West idea, and it didn't suck. But Tom Rothman is a corporate a-hole who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a fan concept, so there you go.

Speaking of Columbine, though, I was thinking of Elephant and then moved on to the director's other work of Paranoid Park, and I'm thinking that blonde kid would make a decent Light, or at least, Mello.

Sweetre: You're praising him a bit highly. All he worked on were some crazy cop duo flicks with Mel, and a noir flick with Downey. He hasn't actually had (a good) experience with general audience tentpole stuff, though.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
cool_inuyasha_girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't think anything could possibly ruin Death Note more then those disgraceful Japanese life-action movies but nope the U.S decided it wanted a turn turning gold into...well you know (can we swear on these forums?). I honestly hope they don't try and make this movie Pg. rated or make L or Light look heroic or pretty much do anything that ruins what made Death Note amazing (well, for the first 25 episodes anyway). Oh and one more thing WHAT SPIRITUALITY!! Death Note is based around a bored high school student with noble intentions turning into a mass-murder and a police officer who isn't exactly the hero, its more of an ethical and psychological story then spiritual.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I despise the OMG ITS NOT JAPANESE ITS GONNA SUCK mentality that some people have. Especially when this is GOOD news. Back in 2009, I believe, when WB got Death Note, they planned to make it Final Destination 2.0. Now they have a famed Indie director from the 80s (and director of the amazing KKBB), and they are no longer trying to turn this into some mainstream horror flick.

Good news, people. Good.
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Oh, and he seems better at R-rated films than the PG-13 kind. I liked Monster Squad, but it's as stuck in the 80s as its Goonies brethren. And Death Note is supposed to be a bit darker than either film.

Sweetre: I noticed he said it's his favorite manga. Does that mean he reads manga in general? Anyway,

rinmackie: DB could've been done reasonably well. I mean, Forbidden Kingdom is basically another adaptation of the original Journey to the West idea, and it didn't suck. But Tom Rothman is a corporate a-hole who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a fan concept, so there you go.

Speaking of Columbine, though, I was thinking of Elephant and then moved on to the director's other of Paranoid Park, and I'm thinking that blonde kid would make a decent Light, or at least, Mello.

Sweetre: You're praising him a bit highly. All he worked on were some crazy cop duo flicks with Mel, and a noir flick with Downey. He hasn't actually had (a good) experience with general audience tentpole stuff, though.

Well it's not so much that I'm praising him but the fact that he seems to want to try to use the core story of Death Note rather than completely reworking the themes for the sake of "Americanizing" it so no one makes assumptions about his take.

As for his previous films.. Only the first Lethal Weapon was truly one he wrote because they butchered his vision on the second one and he left the franchise after that. But there was more to it than being a "crazy cop duo flicks" since it was rather dark and delved into themes of suicide which is something unusual for buddy cop films these days but it started the whole buddy cop craze nonetheless but I do enjoy his works when the studios don't butcher his scripts.

Anyway for now, I'm mostly going on what the horses mouth says until we have something more substantial to go on. I just hope you guys keep in mind what he's saying about his take before jumping to conclusions.
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
cool_inuyasha_girl wrote:
Oh and one more thing WHAT SPIRITUALITY!! Death Note is based around a bored high school student with noble intentions turning into a mass-murder and a police officer who isn't exactly the hero, its more of an ethical and psychological story then spiritual.

He's probably talking about the aspect of Light using the power of Death Gods to "cleanse the world of evil" or "make the perfect world" as well as Kira identity being viewed as a God and him gaining a god complex but in terms of the character arc of Light you're totally right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5