• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: App Puts Unauthorized Manga Scans on iPhone, iPad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maruna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:

Correction. I was referring to the companies not the thieves themselves about charging for goods and services. I was saying the companies should not give their goods away without charging even if it is online. I agree that companies should nail these guys and anybody who steals their intellectual copyrights who make it theirs and do as they please with it without the copyrights holders permission. The law is slow in catching up with the thieves.

Unfortunately, the Internet has given birth to an entire generation which has grown comfortable with never having to pay for anything they can find online. By no means do they have any entitlement to those free products, but two things are clear: A) Some of them absolutely will not pay as long as a free option is available, and B) The rights holders will never be able to completely eliminate the piracy that makes their products freely available. More law-breakers will simply crop up in their wake and continue to provide the same service.

To return to your previous point, the companies are being, "forward-thinking," with their attempts to make their products available for "free," (Although, to very little success) as a way of roping in the crowd who is never going to pay. There is a higher possibility some of the freeloaders might start generating ad revenue via the Official, "free" alternative, as opposed to attempting (and failing) to crush the pirates and then ask those same people to begin paying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
[ I think we'd see more official stuff if people weren't so supportive of the illegal, unauthorized stuff.

Really, but then we wouldn't have gotten MoHS as fast as we did and it might not have gotten the treatment that got (the cast might have been weaker).

Just to say, if a show does really well illegally then that is like a wake up call for the once that can license and license the material.
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

However, saying that new technology exists and USING said new technology are two completely different things. Its easy to say that companies can make money by transferring to digital media formats, and it WILL happen eventually, but companies simply can't jump into a sink or swim into a brand new business model haphazardly. Now people would accuse them of being behind the times, but looking at ad revenues from online sites, and the fact that they make little money if at all, any business worth its salt would realize that the conditions aren't right, and a responsible businessman won't risk the futures of his employees and himself without some hard data to back up the decision.
You are right about the current state of the economy and businesses. The idea that ads revenues will be enough to keep an online website going is an illusion at this time. The revenues from ads are only dependent on the number of visitors and users. In the present economy, companies are reluctant to advertise when the audience is not there or they lack the money. I favor a paid subscription because it adds value to the service and products on the site. Companies should never give it away for free without charge because that is not going to teach respect, responsibility, and accountability where manga, manhaw, and anime are concern. Nothing is free even the fansubs and scanlation sites knows that because they ask for donations all the time to keep the site going. The people who donate to fansub or scanlation knows those sites are impossible to be free without a nominal charge if they want the fansub and scanlation from the site.

The internet have been here over a decade and the e-book reader over 5 years. These two technology are not going anywhere. Technology is only successful when society and companies accept it. Amazon.com was a great place for people to download e-books and read it on a computer, laptop, and on a pda five years ago for a nominal fee before the Kindle and the Sony were the big thing. The manga, manhaw, and anime should have cater to the customers who would pay for a service and products.

Maruna wrote:

Unfortunately, the Internet has given birth to an entire generation which has grown comfortable with never having to pay for anything they can find online. By no means do they have any entitlement to those free products, but two things are clear: A) Some of them absolutely will not pay as long as a free option is available, and B) The rights holders will never be able to completely eliminate the piracy that makes their products freely available. More law-breakers will simply crop up in their wake and continue to provide the same service.

To return to your previous point, the companies are being, "forward-thinking," with their attempts to make their products available for "free," (Although, to very little success) as a way of roping in the crowd who is never going to pay. There is a higher possibility some of the freeloaders might start generating ad revenue via the Official, "free" alternative, as opposed to attempting (and failing) to crush the pirates and then ask those same people to begin paying.

The companies are reacting to the problem of scanlation and fansub. If the companies were "forward thinkers" they would have nip this along time ago. I believe the Japanese and American manga and anime companies relied on scanlation and fansub back in the old days without understanding what it would do to their business.

If the company have what the customers want then most people will pay for them. If the company exceed the expectation of the customers then the customer will return again. The company would have to ask do they want quality customers who will buy the products/services or quantity customers who won't buy the product/service. Cater to those who are willing to spend money instead of those who won't.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Checked out the app, it seems to be lacking some big name titles (Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, etc) that are found on the site they get their stuff from. Which is kinda weird.

Wonder if they thought they could avoid trouble by not providing access to the big name titles?

FYI, I don't read scans.

...most of the time
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Hate to break it to everyone, but there are other iPhone/iPod Touch apps out there that let you browse scanlations. Mangastream has an app for the iPhone/iPod Touch and Android. There's a Naruto specific scanlation app called "Naruto Live!" which has scalations of the latest Naurto chapters in the Apple App Store. And they've been out for a while.

Also keep in mind that Apple's app process probably looks for things that include malware and other harmful portions of an app that will damage the iPhone/iPod Touch rather then apps that break any sort of intellectual property.

Probably the surprising part of this particular instance, is that the app is actually free. Most scalation viewing apps I've found are at a cost.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
They've been hitting the fanfiction sites too like fanfiction.net. From what I've heard they're mainly funded by google ads. Makes you wonder if google has rules against supporting illegal sites or not. Apparently google made demands that they take down all yaoi and sexually explicit content in order to continue funding it.

"Copyright infringement" is against the adsense TOS. The problem is it is very difficult to get google to act on a violation for it without being the actual copyright holder. (One could even argue that google doesn't do enough when informed.)

shaggyglasses wrote:
instead of ask for the take down of this app, like petrifiedjello said, lead by example and compete with the app. i would much rather have a manga app (even if it doesn't have a large library) that is official rather than ones that aren't. especially if the manga was cut up and tailored for ipod viewing.
No, this is the problem the industry faces: Piracy is too visible. You need to knock them down and chase apple for all profits they made before you even start competing. You cannot leave them where they are easy to see.

sdhd wrote:
Nothing is free even the fansubs and scanlation sites knows that because they ask for donations all the time to keep the site going.
Somewhere along the way, someone figured out people can be harassed into donating or will stupidly throw money at fansub groups. A good portion of those donation drives are either bogus or support unnecessary extra servers. Very few of them are actually out of pocket costs.

Quote:
The people who donate to fansub or scanlation knows those sites are impossible to be free without a nominal charge if they want the fansub and scanlation from the site.
No they don't. Most of them are quite clueless.

Quote:
The manga, manhaw, and anime should have cater to the customers who would pay for a service and products.

While this is true, there are many obstacles to get through before you even get to having a pay-to-read service. One of which is figuring out if enough people will actually legitimately use it to justify the costs of jumping in. Another of which is getting to Japan to jump on board as most publishers seem to suggest that Japan isn't very open to this. (Note: Japan is not exactly behind the times themselves. This is a licensing issue, as always.)
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
sdhd wrote:
The people who donate to fansub or scanlation knows those sites are impossible to be free without a nominal charge if they want the fansub and scanlation from the site.
No they don't. Most of them are quite clueless.

Most of the *readers* are clueless. But the people who *donate*, as sdhd said, know that those sites need financial backing - otherwise they wouldn't donate. Smile

I have to think that those who give money would be willing to give it to legitimate apps or sites instead, provided they got something similar in return.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:18 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

Most of the *readers* are clueless. But the people who *donate*, as sdhd said, know that those sites need financial backing - otherwise they wouldn't donate. Smile

I have to think that those who give money would be willing to give it to legitimate apps or sites instead, provided they got something similar in return.

I think you misunderstood bayo- The people who donate *think* these sites need financial backing (when often they don't), and are tricked into donating (and participating in an illegal act) by people with questionable ethics asking for "donations". These aren't charities, or even legit businesses, and I think a lot of these fans are naive and think they are donating to something legit. When they're actually being frauded by some tricksters.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
[quote="Paploo"]
sunflower wrote:

I think a lot of these fans are naive and think they are donating to something legit. When they're actually being frauded by some tricksters.

Fansubs and scanlations aren't legitimate? No way~ I never knew that!

To be honest, it's their choice, so who cares?

If the fansub/scan groups are 1) buying their own materials to achieve higher quality of the releases or because it's the "lost treasure" that never got overseas, and 2) hosting their own servers for fast DDL, it amounts to a hefty cost that individuals are paying out of their own pockets. It is upto your volition to donate or not, but if the work in question is available in your region, the "right" thing to do would be to purchase the legitimate copy. Of course, it would all depend on various factors for people.
sdhd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
sunflower wrote:

I think you misunderstood bayo- The people who donate *think* these sites need financial backing (when often they don't), and are tricked into donating (and participating in an illegal act) by people with questionable ethics asking for "donations". These aren't charities, or even legit businesses, and I think a lot of these fans are naive and think they are donating to something legit. When they're actually being frauded by some tricksters.

Are the sites lying when they said they need people to donate (pay) $5 to get unlimited fansub and scanlation per month due to the huge downloads because it is from their servers? There sites that ask for donation because the person who started don't have the money to keep it going. Maybe with the exception of third party video hosting then you are correct to assume that the site do not need donations because they are leeching off from Youtube or Megavideo to name a few. The sites that have people upload contents do ask for money due to both servers and bandwidth costs.

The majority of the people who donate knows what they are doing after the second or third time because they go on forum that talks about fansub and scanlation titles.

I noticed the fansub and scanlation fans are not speaking in favor of them as much as a few years ago on ANN. Wonder where the folks are now?

Pedestrian A wrote:

It is upto your volition to donate or not, but if the work in question is available in your region, the "right" thing to do would be to purchase the legitimate copy. Of course, it would all depend on various factors for people.

Scanlation sites have sold people the idea that if it is available in your country then please support the author and buy the manga is an excused used over the years to justified scanlation.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:
To be honest, it's their choice, so who cares?

If the fansub/scan groups are 1) buying their own materials to achieve higher quality of the releases or because it's the "lost treasure" that never got overseas, and 2) hosting their own servers for fast DDL, it amounts to a hefty cost that individuals are paying out of their own pockets. It is upto your volition to donate or not, but if the work in question is available in your region, the "right" thing to do would be to purchase the legitimate copy. Of course, it would all depend on various factors for people.

Hell no. NEVER give those people money. I was with a scanlation group for a while and we NEVER asked for money. You know why? It was our hobby, and it didn't cost that much to do. Already had a web-server anyway that I paid 8 bucks a month for. That's about it, and all those gigs of bandwidth weren't ever used up. 4 bucks here or there for a tankubon, big whoop. If a scanlation group is asking you for money, quit using them. They're looking for a profit.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I hope they can remove that app ASAP. I don't care what justification is used, stealing is stealing. We need a fullscale crackdown on stuff like this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mangaboys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Guys, here's a very interesting post about manga scanlations on the
website Comic Book Resource:

Quote:
Here's why that doesn't matter: There are still plenty of multi-comic manga apps on the iTunes store, and every one of them is a mobile reader for a scanlation site. All of them. Some legitimate comics reader apps carry a smattering of manga, but so far the manga publishers themselves have stuck to the older model of publishing each chapter as a separate app. That's an expensive and clumsy way to read comics; the paradigm has shifted, but the manga publishers haven't responded.

It's so true that as a manga lover, I would just love to read manga whenever, wherever I want with my iPhone. But these manga publishers are just too lazy to step out of their comfort zone Sad And I've just tested out Manga Rock as well, the app actually turn out to be .... great, even though it's missing a few top manga. Definitely it is because of licenses issue.

In fact, those belongs to Yen Press is also NOT available within the app such as Black God or Bamboo Blade. It looks like Manga Rock developers have taken some steps to remove manga titles from Yen press. Here's what those developers announces on their blog: http://blog.notabasement.com/?p=48.
ltkjguru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Guys, here's a very interesting post about manga scanlations on the website Comic Book Resource:

Quote:
Here's why that doesn't matter: There are still plenty of multi-comic manga apps on the iTunes  store, and every one of them is a mobile reader for a scanlation site. All of them. Some legitimate comics reader apps carry a smattering of manga, but so far the manga publishers themselves have stuck to the older model of publishing each chapter as a separate app. That's an expensive and clumsy way to read comics; the paradigm has shifted, but the manga publishers haven't responded.

It's so true that as a manga lover, I would just love to read manga whenever, wherever I want with my iPhone. But these manga publishers are just too lazy to step out of their comfort zone Sad

And I've just tested out Manga Rock as well, the app actually turn out to be .... great, even though it's missing a few top manga. Definitely it is because of licenses issue.

In fact, those belongs to Yen Press is not available within my app such as Black God or Bamboo Blade. It looks like Manga Rock developers have taken some steps to remove manga titles from Yen press. Here's what those developers announces on their blog: http://blog.notabasement.com/?p=48
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
ltkjguru wrote:
It looks like Manga Rock developers have taken some steps to remove manga titles from Yen press. Here's what those developers announces on their blog: http://blog.notabasement.com/?p=48

Ha, that was actually quite an amusing read on their end.

Quote:
Nonetheless, we would like to apologize the Hachette Book Group for not having realized that Manga Rock streams their contents from onemanga.com without their consent.

Their claim to stupidity is one I just can't buy. I read scanlations all the time, but I'm not stupid think they're not infringing on copyrights somewhere. Trying to make money off of them is just asking for trouble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4