• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - That Ken-Do Attitude

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Serious question for next podcast, which I think could sustain a few solid minutes of discussion: (I don't use Twitter) : [b]"If FUNimation were *officially* to acquire a near-complete monopoly on the R1 anime market, comparable to how Madman controls Australia...would this be a good thing, or a bad thing?"

because years ago it was "competition between companies leads to better product for consumers"

but now in R1 its "competition between companies leads to prolonged bidding wars, dragging out the R1 release date, and in the meantime fansubbers release it online (i.e. the 2 year wait for Rebuild of Evangelion #1), to the point that its hurting the industry and thus hurting North American availability, particularly the English dub market"

good question. I don't want funimation to have a near control. I'd like more companies to give some compation. It can't be viz. They have a good selection like Honey and clover, Monster , bleach etc but they're not really trying to compete with funny because they're a manga company first. and Bandai has slown down.
LeeM77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
You guys have made a subtle point that you don't like any anime of the new season so i thought i would recomend aoi bungaku which seems pretty interesting.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
.... have you tried Blue Literature (Aoi Bungaku)?

so far it appears to be a pretty intelligent series. but then, it is based off of classical literature. <.<

it almost seems like an anthology/TV series cross. the way it's got 6 (I think?) different books...

...(if you watched Box of Goblins (Mouryou no Hako) from last Fall, it's a lot like that only a bit faster paced)

Ooh, I love Mouryou no Hako (even though I couldn't find the last 4 eps or so)! Which books does "Blue Literature" animate? (are they all Japanese? Western? A mix?)

Is Trapeze really anime? I saw some screenshots and got the impression it was live action.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Ooh, I love Mouryou no Hako (even though I couldn't find the last 4 eps or so)!

thats because the only group doing it stalled/fall apart, though another group did like 9-12 (i think), but has never released ep 13..

Agent355 wrote:

Which books does "Blue Literature" animate? (are they all Japanese? Western? A mix?)

blue lit adapts 6 classical Japanese literary works. as for which books,
anime#11096
Quote:
An animated adaptation of six classical Japanese literature pieces, including No Longer Human (Ningen Shikaku) and Run, Melos (Hashire, Melos) by Osamu Dazai, Kokoro by Natsume Souseki, Hell Screen (Jigoku Hen) and The Spider's Thread (Kumo no Ito) by Ryunosuke Akutagawa and In the Forest, Under Cherries in Full Bloom (Sakura no Mori no Mankai no Shita) by Ango Sakaguchi.

Agent355 wrote:

Is Trapeze really anime? I saw some screenshots and got the impression it was live action.

i haven't seen the first ep, but i'm pretty sure it's a mix of live-action and animation.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

It's a mash-up of everything, but mostly animated. Like FLCL on LSD.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:04 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Pandadice! That's a shame about Mouryou no Hako, as I held on to the hope that I'd find all the eps fansubbed, one day (I lost hope on it ever being liscensed). Sad

Blue Lit-6 books seems like too much to adapt properly in one season. Is it like an anime Wishbone?

Pparker-"FLCL on LSD", huh? Lol! Sounds like it needs a major sezure warning...
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac hates Firefly? Oh, the guy who hates 97% of everything made in the past decade? If it was 1997, maybe I'd go all off, but I've learned to just laugh at hyperbole on both sides. Browncoats would take wash's place at the end of Serenity just to touch Joss Whedon's pinky toe, Zac says it's one of the worst things he's ever seen. I'm glad I'm somewhere between the two.

On to actual things. This episode of the podcast helped a lot to answer my questions about how we have advanced to having translated anime so quickly after the Japanese broadcast. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the question about the state of anime clubs is pretty valid just from my own experience with running one. It's practically impossible to find something that others haven't seen, so the best one can hope for is that most haven't and that the rest are at least polite enough not to complain. Honestly, the sheer amount that is available on the internet has been detrimental as far as my experience goes, not just because it's tough to find something different for people to watch, but because people's attention spans have gone down the drain and they know that all they need is a Youtube search to find some sort of fansub. Seriously, I've had to deal with people saying in the middle of a DVD that I or another club member brought that they want to hop on the internet and show something, which really calls into question what the point of bringing a DVD was or why they showed up if they are just going to sit on Youtube either way. It seems to work out every year that by then end of the year the numbers have dwindled to just the few that come every single week because they like the social aspect and don't mind rewatching something.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I guess if you still wanted to have an anime club, you would have to focus on discussions about anime or the culture around anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, surprised Transformers was used as the example of how bad most 80's cartoons were, considering I found it held up pretty well (and no nostalgia here, the 1st DVD set that came out this year was the first time I had ever seen G1). As opposed to He-Man, which made me and my friends laugh non-stop throughout the episodes all at parts that weren't meant to be funny, and GI Joe/Captain Planet/etc. which I could never get into in the first place. The voice acting also seems overall better in Transformers, it's not winning any awards, but still better compared to the others. Of course, Beast Wars is still the best TF series, and definitely holds up well beyond a doubt.

Actually, Viz's release schedule is quite larger than Bandai's in the coming months, and Viz has actually got anime to release for 2010(Monster, Naruto Shippuden, Inuyasha FA, Vampire Knight, etc.). For 2010, Bandai has Gundam 00 S2, the remainder of Hayate, and......?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3