• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Gives Final Farewell at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
It's always sad when a company goes under, and I thank them for re-releasing Outlanders so I finally could buy it. But I would have bought some of those other titles that languished on their shelf for far too long after initial VHS release, as well, and can't help but think that maybe CPM would still be in business if they re-released thoses to DVD, or even Blu-Ray. I'll never understand the reasoning for sitting on a license that still as potential in sales and not using that potential up whilst groping round looking for, but not finding, something else to replace it, because of some underlying, paralysing, speculative fear that it won't sell. Perhaps another lesson of "nothing ventured, nothing gained"?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I got Roujin Z before it sold out and that's all I really wanted. I can keep or take everything else, but at least I saw NAT HAT before it got lost, no?

On the bright side, NTHT was already rescued by ADV, along with several other CPM titles. Though how many more, we don't know yet. In fact, it started as distribution deal, so the new DVD's still have the CPM logo on them. In a way, CPM will still live on a bit longer.

CPM was the company that first got me interested in anime, with Descendants of Darkness. I will really miss them, and will always be grateful. You guys will be missed.

As for why they never released some titles on DVD, it's due to rights issues. Most older VHS licenses never came with the option to release titles on DVD, as many licensors considered those digital rights. Several of CPM's older titles would have required renegotiation, and they may not have been worth the added cost. There's also the possibility that CPM didn't have the time or money to track down all the original rights holders and production comittee members to get the DVD rights. Unfortunately, this is why we may never see some VHS gems on DVD.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
I'd hope that this last demonstration of CPM's goodwill towards the fans shows how much we're truly losing with its departure. I will continue to love my Project A-ko DVD's and share them with new fans as a time capsule of the period when I entered this hobby.

Unfortunately, I get this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that I'll hear the bad news from AnimEigo next...
Chinatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Really sucks to see CPM go.

Good thing some of their shows have been rescued, though. Now, if someone will rescue Utena, Descendants of Darkness, Arslan, Garzey's Wing, Record of Lodoss War, Project A-Ko, A Wind Named Amnesia, They Were 11, Arcade Gamer Fubuki, Roujin Z, Cyber City Oedo 808, Domain of Murder, and all their hentai...

They better release When they Were eleven!
Truth be told Central Park Media did a horrible job when it came to releasing Utena (funi better get it)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
As for why they never released some titles on DVD, it's due to rights issues. Most older VHS licenses never came with the option to release titles on DVD, as many licensors considered those digital rights. Several of CPM's older titles would have required renegotiation, and they may not have been worth the added cost. There's also the possibility that CPM didn't have the time or money to track down all the original rights holders and production comittee members to get the DVD rights. Unfortunately, this is why we may never see some VHS gems on DVD.
So because they didn't want to go for the digital rights, they left them to collect dust in the damp and darkness instead of releasing the licenses years ago for someone else to have a go at making digital money with them, only to have them ripped from CPM's cold dead hands Oh yeah I'll miss them for that, however I also hold the Japanese partly responsible for not keeping their eye on the francises as well. Hopefully they will wake up to the "use it, or lose it" clause. I don't know why AnimEgo is still called that. They haven't dealt with anime since finally finishing the UY box sets.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hopefully they will wake up to the "use it, or lose it" clause. I don't know why AnimEgo is still called that. They haven't dealt with anime since finally finishing the UY box sets.

Nope, they released the first set of Yawara! last year. That reminds me, I've got to see if they've licensed any more of it.
Another poster stated that Animego may be the next to go, but somehow I doubt that. Animego just seems happy to lay low, and only release shows that they really love, instead of wasting money licensing a lot of random crap, and I think being low-risk like that probably works quite well for them.
It's a shame about CPM, even though the only series I remember watching from them are Slayers, A-Ko and Utena. Still, it's a real shame when any of these companies go out of business.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
For having always put love into your DVD releases, Central Park Media, you will be missed. I made sure to get what I think may have been their best titles, and went so far as to pay $50 each for the 2nd Chirality manga volume and the Night on the Galactic Railroad movie, because if I was going to collect them then I better collect them. Now if someone could relicense the classic Utena series to save it from oblivion (I already have it, of course), that would be stellar!
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
A classy way to say goodbye. Tragic situation that happened to the company, as they released quite a bit of series I enjoyed back in the day... I wish them the best.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Like many here, the bulk of my early anime purchases were CPM and AnimEigo titles on VHS (along with AD Vision and Streamline as well). I still have a number of those tapes, though I don't have occasion to fire up the VCR terribly often.

I made a point to snatch up PATLABOR: THE TV SERIES from Right Stuf a week or so back, and am currently enjoying some good old-school mecha.

Certainly, not everything CPM touched was gold (really? LEGEND OF LEMNEAR? VENUS FIVE?), but they did have a number of classics that most fans of my era bought up like lemmings.

I'll miss 'em.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
I made a point to snatch up PATLABOR: THE TV SERIES from Right Stuf a week or so back, and am currently enjoying some good old-school mecha.

I actually owned all of the dvds but they were ex-rentals... I re-bought the series just in case and also if I felt like having loaners around for a friend or whatever.

Heck, I've loved it for 17 years now, I figure that's 60 bucks well spent!

Anybody else notice that all three of the Patlabor boxed sets made it into the best seller's list on RightStuf.com last week? 1st place was 9-11, and 4 and 5 were the other two sets.

License teams take note! Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Another poster stated that Animego may be the next to go, but somehow I doubt that. Animego just seems happy to lay low, and only release shows that they really love, instead of wasting money licensing a lot of random crap, and I think being low-risk like that probably works quite well for them.
Well that's fine if they don't care about making a profit, or expanding their hobby into a business. I still cherish my Oh My Goddess OVA volumes from them. I still think it was the best dub AnimEigo ever did, and the best dub of the entire OMG franchise. Shame they couldn't do the same for UY, else I'd have bought the lot.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
They brought some great titles to the West, including Utena. I will sorely miss them, and I hope their employees find employment elsewhere in the R1 anime industry.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quark wrote:
Well that's fine if they don't care about making a profit, or expanding their hobby into a business. I still cherish my Oh My Goddess OVA volumes from them. I still think it was the best dub AnimEigo ever did, and the best dub of the entire OMG franchise. Shame they couldn't do the same for UY, else I'd have bought the lot.

I believe they make a killing on the samurai cinema stuff. Apparently a lot of the money to run the company came from Woodhead's involvement with game programming, etc., so cheers to them for figuring out a good business model.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:06 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

I believe they make a killing on the samurai cinema stuff. Apparently a lot of the money to run the company came from Woodhead's involvement with game programming, etc., so cheers to them for figuring out a good business model.
One that doesn't rely on anime. Maybe they should upgrade their trademark to Adios AnimEigo. Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Thank you for VOTOMS, Patlabor...

To lapse into optimism for a moment, here's hoping other companies aren't going to let these franchises be forgotten. Re-licence, re-licence!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4