• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III vs. Detective Conan TV Special in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be [expletive] awesome Smile
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote="AstroNerdBoy"]
penguintruth wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am just happy Lupin III hasn't been forgotten, I figured the era of Lupin the third ended a couple years ago.

Not in Japan. Every year, Japan releases at least one TV special or movie. I think it was last year that they released a special and an OVA.

I'm a huge Lupin fan. It is disappointing that Lupin doesn't do all that well here in the US. Funimation still hasn't even released all of the series yet and they had that ages ago.
As for the series in japan there usually released one movie once in a while. A special and/or OVA usually once a year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I liken this matchup to be something akin to an irresistable force vs. an immovable object setup. I mean two opposing powers, one a super criminal and the other a super sleuth, I can just see an endless number of one-upmanships and snappy comebacks. If we DON'T get this, I hope we at least get a version somehow.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Funimation still hasn't even released all of the series yet and they had that ages ago.

FUNimation never licensed any Lupin The III TV Series. They picked up some movies/OVAs/TV specials/I have no clue. It was Geneon who picked up the series and didn't get it all out.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If only Funimation completed the entire series of Case Closed, I can imagine this short being licensed.

You do realize that Detective Conan still has a weekly run? It's been on for over a decade in Japan. FUNimation has like 130 out of like 500 episodes. So unless it ends in Japan, FUNimation could have never completed the entire series. It is impossible to release a series like that in R1 without a concurrent mainstream TV-Broadcast.

AstroNerdBoy wrote:
FUNimation hasn't licensed a Lupin III title in years. Also, I've heard that FUNimation isn't going to license more Detective Conan (Case Closed) and will just release whatever they have left. I don't know if that's true since I don't follow that series, but if it is true, then I'd say FUNimation won't be interested at all. From a pure business perspective, Lupin III doesn't sell well and if DC isn't selling well these days, well there's not much of a chance that FUNimation would think that the combination of two non-selling titles would equal a winner.

FUNimation said they made money off of the Lupin III specials/OVAs/whatever they released.

Conan's chance at more episodes in R1 really depends on how well the current Seasons Boxsets sell. So I advise those who want to see more Conan episodes in R1 to buy up those sets. They're also episodes in these sets that have not been released by FUNimation yet.

However, they did say we may see more of the Conan movies in R1.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
It sounds pretty cool. I'm a fan of both franchises but I haven't really explored much into either as they're both rather large and pricey to collect.
Zipper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
This is like bread and butter.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
Wellness wrote:
OH SSSHHHHIIIIIIITTTE!!!

This could be a great crossover.

No kidding.Hope this one get dubbed unlike most of the epsiodes of both series which hasn't been as yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
As a Lupin fan I'm not really sure how to feel. On one hand, I'm concerned about how this will screw up continuity and other realted things but, on the other hand, I do think that this may end up being a fun special. So I guess, I'll try to think of it this way.

I also hope that this won't be dumbed down in order to please the fans of both series and that it looks more like a Lupin special than a Conan special.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
By the way, speaking of mash-ups of different anime series, here's one that made me laugh Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I personally want to see how this will go down. I think it'll be an awesome attempt on both universes' parts to see how you mix and match wits (and art styles!) Very Happy
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Official Website, although there's not much on it now Smile
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll only be watching this because Conan Edogawa from Case Closed will be in it Very Happy!

Sadly, I'll be waiting for a LONG time before I can get to see this Sad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of either franchise, and even I think this could be epic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3