• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:

On top of that, that criticism holds even less water for when Josuke isn't around to help,

Well yeah, but the mere fact that a character with such an ability exists changes things. I'm not saying it kills the tension, but it produces a different kind of tension compared to previous seasons.

And yes, i get it already, characters will still die. Thanks everybody, im relieved now... Wink
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

I agree that Josuke's Stand powers lower the tension, at least compared to previous seasons. I don't really want any of these characters to die, but the fact that the main characters aren't safe, always were part of The JoJo Experience...and that sure was a pretty convenient recovery by Jotaro...

Convenient recoveries in JoJo aren't a rare occurrence it's how Polnareff can get elbowed in the nose and be immediately fine despite the stream of blood and what should've been a broken nose. Or how you can have Speedwagon's abs melt the ice around Will's arm and suffer no ill effects from his arm being frozen.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing with a "healer" character in JoJo: it's not what you think. The same goes for character deaths.

In JoJo, a healer character is not there for Araki to cop-out on character death, it's to make possible for characters to go through the most weird possible scenario of body horror and be fixed later, but also to rise up the stakes in a more impactful way. Because a lot of times the character will be saved after a crap ton of pain and bleeding, so you think "There's no way they're gonna die from t-oh, they did". Deaths in JoJo are usually more sudden, in a "I didn't expect it to be like that" way.

It also serves as expectation because sometimes Araki plays with "Their body is saved, but will they actually be alive?!" kind of like what happened with Jossuke's grandpa. It might not raise the stakes throughout the whole Part, but there's always this possibility, especially in the second half of any part.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I can't wholy agree with the criticism stated by the reviewer either. I mean, sure, it'd take balls to kill Koichi with a 3rd of the show left, but that doesn't necessarily make it a "good" decision to make, specially with the rather lighthearted tone of this part.

Sure, Koichi's death would shock us, but killing one of the main trio, someone who we could consider the heart of the team and, let's be honest, has been more of a main protagonist than Josuke for the last few eps, ONLY to show how Kira can kill anyone and that anything goes... well, it'd feel gratuitous after a while. Not to mention that Shigechi's death already served us well enough to prove this point, a death that happened only 2 episodes ago.

In retrospect, Shigechi was the "ideal" character to kill to reinforce Kira's evil: he was an asshole, but an understandable asshole, a kid, but a likeable kid, and more than fit adition to the team, but no one that'd force the protagonist to be in constant mourning for the rest of the series (no one other than Josuke and Okuyasu knew him anyway); Koichi's death would loom over Josuke and co. for the remainder of the show, forcing an overall change in tone. Killing Aya, on the other hand, isn't as big of a blow, and it serves the immediate purpose of giving Kira a chance to hide (other than shocking us, Koichi's death wouldn't really do much for the story, I think). Araki seems to understand this, hence why he only kills important characters during or close to the last arc of his stories.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Merida wrote:
"Here, let me put on your socks properly before i blow you to smithereens." Gotta love Kira and his OCD. Laughing

I agree that Josuke's Stand powers lower the tension, at least compared to previous seasons. I don't really want any of these characters to die, but the fact that the main characters aren't safe, always were part of The JoJo Experience...and that sure was a pretty convenient recovery by Jotaro...

But well, as long as it gives me awesome villains like Kira, i'm willing to forgive this show just about anything. Smile

The characters still aren't always safe, though. Kira is the kind of character that has the ability, and will (and has) blown characters up beyond the point of which Josuke can recover them.

There's also the fact that Kira knows about Josuke and his Stand powers. The final scene at the Cinderella parlor demonstrates that: Kira set up a trap knowing Josuke would try to heal by establishing Aya herself as a bomb. It guarantees that even if Josuke can save himself, he cannot save Aya.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Convenient recoveries in JoJo aren't a rare occurrence it's how Polnareff can get elbowed in the nose and be immediately fine despite the stream of blood and what should've been a broken nose. Or how you can have Speedwagon's abs melt the ice around Will's arm and suffer no ill effects from his arm being frozen.

That isn't even the most dire of Polnareff's injuries. He's had a big hole gouged into his tongue, got his toes warped to another dimension, was crushed under a heavy bed, and set on fire, and he always looks just fine by the time the next adversary appears.
YoodiHoshi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:18 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
That isn't even the most dire of Polnareff's injuries. He's had a big hole gouged into his tongue, got his toes warped to another dimension, was crushed under a heavy bed, and set on fire, and he always looks just fine by the time the next adversary appears.

I'm pretty sure the wounds he received from Vanilla Ice were permanent, yet not his flesh being eaten off by those dirt puppets from Judgement
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
I've never read this part of JoJo in manga form, but at no point I was expecting Koichi to die, simply because I don't think we've seen his Stand evolve to its final form yet. As for people who are worried that some mini arcs might get skipped, I just took a look at the manga chapter titles, and it seems there are 76 chapters left to adapt. I think it's perfectly feasible for the anime to cover them all in 15 episodes, although I wish it hadn't spent 3 episodes adapting the Nijimura Brothers mini arc, which only ran for 10 chapters.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
In retrospect, Shigechi was the "ideal" character to kill to reinforce Kira's evil: he was an asshole, but an understandable asshole, a kid, but a likeable kid, and more than fit adition to the team, but no one that'd force the protagonist to be in constant mourning for the rest of the series (no one other than Josuke and Okuyasu knew him anyway); Koichi's death would loom over Josuke and co. for the remainder of the show, forcing an overall change in tone.

I think this is just a matter of personal taste. I would've welcomed a sobering change of tone, personally. I'm super bored by this 'part' and its light-hearted whimsy, not that I haven't said so already above. Razz
YoodiHoshi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I've never read this part of JoJo in manga form, but at no point I was expecting Koichi to die, simply because I don't think we've seen his Stand evolve to its final form yet. As for people who are worried that some mini arcs might get skipped, I just took a look at the manga chapter titles, and it seems there are 76 chapters left to adapt. I think it's perfectly feasible for the anime to cover them all in 15 episodes, although I wish it hadn't spent 3 episodes adapting the Nijimura Brothers mini arc, which only ran for 10 chapters.

That was really 11-12 chapters adapted within 3 episodes (Last bits of "Josuke meets Angelo" at the start)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I've never read this part of JoJo in manga form, but at no point I was expecting Koichi to die, simply because I don't think we've seen his Stand evolve to its final form yet.

Act 3 is Echoes final form.

Zhou-BR wrote:
although I wish it hadn't spent 3 episodes adapting the Nijimura Brothers mini arc, which only ran for 10 chapters.

By the same token "Kira Yoshikage wants to live a quiet life" could've easily had the battle between Shigechi and Kira be resolved in it's first part instead of the battle along with Shigechi's death being stretched between two episodes. But they had to spend with little time that remained in part 1 having Kira dropping some unnecessary exposition about who he was.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
As far as finding Kira, isn't that what Joseph's stand is for (purple hermit)? he just needs to break a few TV's or cameras to get some pictures of what Kira looks like now.

Btw, I'm guessing Cinderella's power continues to be in effect even after Aya dies? otherwise it would be really easy to find Kira with his face and hair falling out.

Also, Aya mentioned that getting someone elses face would bring the person bad luck, so Kira has that as an extra burden as well.
PenGirl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

I think this is just a matter of personal taste. I would've welcomed a sobering change of tone, personally. I'm super bored by this 'part' and its light-hearted whimsy, not that I haven't said so already above. Razz

I don't understand. "Light-hearted"? This is probably one of the darkest parts I ever saw. We have villains that aren't as funny as Dio's minions. We have the first villain being a rapist who likes to cut off young boys genetials, or two rats that can turn your meat into a horrifying soup. Not counting our main villain, a guy who date severed hands and blow up people SO HARD that their souls go screaming to the after life.

For me, Part 3 is way more light-hearted than Part 4, because everything, aside from DIO's and Vanilla Ice fights, is a "big funny fight" where the protagonists got to joke around fighting Stands. DIO himself is a good villain but he isn't something I would call "dark" like Kira. He is a shounen villain through and through.

People think Part 4 is "light-hearted" because it happens on a town? I find it to be more terrifying than anything, because brings a sense of "false safety". In fact, Kira is almost a Seinen villain in a shounen series.

I understand the "bored", because opinions, but calling Part 4 "light-hearted" after ALL the sick things we saw so far is something I can't understand.

Last edited by PenGirl on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I liked that the first thing we get to see of Kira's new "wife" was her hand since that's probably the only thing that'll be left of her soon...and i've got no complaints about his new appearance, he's still mighty hot. Wink

His dad way pretty entertaining, but how do ghosts even acquire stands? Or did he become a stand user before his death? And does Kira know about him?
PenGirl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
His dad way pretty entertaining, but how do ghosts even acquire stands? Or did he become a stand user before his death? And does Kira know about him?

Hum... I think he was a Stand user before, since Jotaro believes he got the Bow from Enyaba, and Stand users attract other Stand Users. I think the only way Enyaba would've give the bow to Kira's dad is if he as a Stand user, to do DIO's bidding in other places. I don't think she would've given it to him if he was a common guy.
tophg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Ep 25 - One thing I've grown to love about this series - despite its tonal differences to the earlier ones - is how quickly situations spiral out of control for our heroes. No sooner do they set foot in Kira's house than BAM! freaky wtf ghost father has them cornered and everything escalates to the max again. The writers just don't give them a moment to breathe, it means they're burning through plot at a furious pace too. Loving the repeated whiplashes so far.

But how convenient that Kira managed to find someone with exactly the same build as him, to the point that wife couldnt see the difference post-shower, heh. Wasn't it just the face that was replaced?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 28