• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Insults are flying, and people are trying to get around the obscenity filter, so it's time to take a nap, people:

All further discussion of AoA pricing for this thread is officially banned. Any posts that bring the topic up further - in any context - risk being removed.

Really, this comes up every single time AoA comes up in the news for anything, and it's always the same tired arguments both ways. It's time to let this one go the route of sub/dub debates, as it's not going to do anything but get people upset.

THANK YOU
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
So, what do you guys wanna talk about now?

Uhh...that Valvrave the Liberator show might be good? *crickets chirping some more*
Tr1ckR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
already have the Gurren Lagann BD box on pre-order from amazon japan for a while now ($200+ cheaper)

Last edited by Tr1ckR on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, is there anyone that actually IS looking forward to either of these releases (especially Gurren Lagann)?

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
So, what do you guys wanna talk about now?

Uhh...that Valvrave the Liberator show might be good? *crickets chirping some more*

I like the artwork on the DVD box. I wonder what the artwork on the BluRay box is...

I think it's pretty cool that you get all of the artwork for the Gurren Lagann releases in Japan, even if it's just on postcards. Reversible covers are a nice touch that we don't get as often as we used to.

And again with "Hey, anyone else think they'll use the HD recomposite masters instead of the DVD masters?"
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Calibrator wrote:

Additionally, they're literally seizing other distributors properties for themselves. Like Funimation's Baccano!, or this - and YES, even though Bandai may be gone, they still hold the license.

With Baccano, there was nothing to seize from Funimation. Funi licensed and released the DVD since that's what Japan had released. Aniplex USA licensed and released the Blu-ray - one possible reason is Funimation passed up on the BD rights for the show for whatever reason (poor sales of the DVD, too much to license, etc.).

Also, with Aniplex USA releasing the GL DVDs, it's probably a good chance to say that the license reverted back to Aniplex JP.
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
Now, call me crazy, but I think that this thread is quickly approaching the point where it deserves to be closed. It's devolving quickly into insult trading.

Can we just talk about how cool the releases are and leave the price point discussion in the past now? Oh, not cool enough? Let's talk about that, too, instead!

Who thinks the DVD box is cool?

Am I the only person speculating that they will be using the HD recomposite masters for the DVD release? It kind of makes sense, considering the timing of the release compared to the BD box, and if it were true, wouldn't it mean that Aniplex is trying to appeal to more than just that core "will buy it no matter what" group?

edit: I posted this a minute too late because I got distracted... I have had it typed in my post tab for like 5-10 minutes Sad

I agree, the dvd box looks incredible and if it's a new encoding i'll seriously think about saving up for this. If they're still using the screwed up encodes from the legends release then I'll hunt down one of those, better to gamble on $50 than $150 after all.

'course, i still haven't been able to get my hands on garden of sinners yet so it'll be a while before i can even consider this.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
I think it's pretty cool that you get all of the artwork for the Gurren Lagann releases in Japan, even if it's just on postcards. Reversible covers are a nice touch that we don't get as often as we used to.

I prefer the pictures to just be on photo paper, like the ones in my Casablanca Blu-ray set (which I still have yet to actually watch because my Grandma got it for me instead of the DVD edition by mistake). You can frame them and display them. Nobody even sends postcards anymore.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarmel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Tr1ckR wrote:
already have the Gurren Lagann BD box on pre-order from amazon japan for a while now ($200+ cheaper)

Yep. Much cheaper to import compared to the F/Z box set. I'm saving around $200 compared to the US release.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
With Baccano, there was nothing to seize from Funimation. Funi licensed and released the DVD since that's what Japan had released. Aniplex USA licensed and released the Blu-ray - one possible reason is Funimation passed up on the BD rights for the show for whatever reason (poor sales of the DVD, too much to license, etc.).

Also, with Aniplex USA releasing the GL DVDs, it's probably a good chance to say that the license reverted back to Aniplex JP.

There might even be a chance Aniplex releases another Blu-ray edition (likely without most or all of the extras) after the import set runs it's course.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about the postcards but I do like the artbook, soundtrack and new box the DVD set comes with.

The only thing from the BR set I wish we had was that production book, that sounds really cool.
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I prefer the pictures to just be on photo paper, like the ones in my Casablanca Blu-ray set (which I still have yet to actually watch because my Grandma got it for me instead of the DVD edition by mistake). You can frame them and display them. Nobody even sends postcards anymore.

They're on premium glossy card stock, at least 20lb, and they aren't really intended to be used as postcards... just as art cards. They are the size of standard DVD cases, not like normal postcards, and they look pretty nice.

At least, this is assuming they are the same as the Oreimo and Garden of sinners postcards.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There might even be a chance Aniplex releases another Blu-ray edition (likely without most or all of the extras) after the import set runs it's course.

Yes, I can see that happening 6 months-1 year down the road. But, we all what will happen here when that gets announced....
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys...I don't wanna start a WWE smackdown in the middle of Right Stuf, but there's 3 copies of Gurren Lagann complete series from Bandai left --- and they're the last 3 copies. Ever.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/U9o62RW-M3OmyswHfz/browse/item/88397/4/0/0

I recently spent my money on Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (no regrets though, one of the best anime of all time) so unfortunately I'm broke. Sad
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Yes, I can see that happening 6 months-1 year down the road. But, we all what will happen here when that gets announced....

I'm pretty sure it would be longer than that, if Kara no Kyoukai is anything to go by.

partysmores wrote:
Hey guys...I don't wanna start a WWE smackdown in the middle of Right Stuf, but there's 3 copies of Gurren Lagann complete series from Bandai left --- and they're the last 3 copies. Ever.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/U9o62RW-M3OmyswHfz/browse/item/88397/4/0/0

I recently spent my money on Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (no regrets though, one of the best anime of all time) so unfortunately I'm broke. Sad

Does no one even bother with Amazon or something?

Last edited by Pokenatic on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 24