• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote
Group B-17
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.
Kirika Yumura, Noir

D

Group B-18
Captain Harlock, various (see Guide entry)
vs.
Ginko, Mushi-Shi

Ginko is very admirable and I would choose him over most of the characters from this tournament, but Captain Harlock is made of unalloyed coolness.

Group B-19
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit

This is no-brainer, Balsa is the better option here. I like Urahara, he has a lot of potential, but potential is not enough to beat Balsa.

Group B-20
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin
vs.
Oscar Francois de Jarjay, Rose of Versailles

Oscar Francois de Jarjay

Group B-21
Lelouche Lamperouge Code Geass
vs.
Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke

Lady Eboshi

Group B-22
Faye Valentine, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Nana Osaki, NANA

Nana Osaki

Group B-23
Suzuka, Outlaw Star
vs.
Revy, Black Lagoon

Revy

Group B-24
Kenshiro, Fist of the North Star
vs.
Celty Sturluson, Durara!!

Celty Sturluson
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
Group B-17
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.
Kirika Yumura, Noir

D. Based on his writeup and reputation. Kirika certainly has the ability, but beyond that she never impressed me more than any other Typical Emotionless Girl, so I could never find her to be a compelling character.

Group B-18
vs.
Ginko, Mushi-Shi

Captain Harlock. Going with the classic, though Ginko's certainly a worthy candidate too.

Group B-19
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.

Balsa. No doubt one of the top contenders in this tournament. Combining grace and maturity with peerless spear skills.

Group B-20
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin
vs.

Oscar Francois de Jarjay. Kenshin has always annoyed me for some reason.

Group B-21
vs.

Lady Eboshi.

Group B-22
vs.
Nana Osaki, NANA

Nana Osaki

Group B-23
Suzuka, Outlaw Star
vs.
Revy, Black Lagoon

Revy

Group B-24
vs.

Kenshiro

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
Group B-17

D, Vampire Hunter D

Group B-18

Group B-19

Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.

This one is difficult for me because I like both of these characters very much. But, I'm going to have to give the edge to Balsa because we see her in action more than we do Kisuke.

Group B-20

Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin

Group B-21

vs.

Group B-22

Group B-23

Suzuka, Outlaw Star

Group B-24

Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Group B-17
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.
Kirika Yumura, Noir

Definitely, D. Calm, cool, incredibly and fantastically skilled, able to make a right judgement of the situation. And on the top of that he is quite immortal. Kirika has skill, no doubt about it, but she failed to impress me as a character.
D might seem cold and emotionless, and detached from the human world, going after money, but he can go out of his way to save someone's life and there are defintiely intriguing things going on behind the cold facade.
And the scene when Borgoff Marcus shoots an arrow at him and D catches it in mid air and snaps in half (with the full moon in the background, if I remember correctly) just shows how cool of a character he is.

Group B-18
vs.
Ginko, Mushi-Shi

Ginko

Group B-19
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.

Balsa

Group B-20
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin
vs.

Kenshin

Group B-21
vs.

Lady Eboshi

I actually never found Lelouche all that cool, he is more of a spoilt brat figure who gets things by manipulating others. He has strong megalomaniac tendencies and did so many uncool things in both seasons that he does not seem like a strong contestant for me here, specially agains someone like Lady Eboshi. I strongly disliked her at the beginning of the film, only to find myself admiring her, despite the decisions she made. What makes her such an amazing character is that, unlike Lelouche, she is not so egocentric. While every single Lelouches action was meant not to help others, but add up to his image and bring him personal gains, Lady Eboshi actually sacrifices a lot for the people she takes under her wings, without the constant "Me, me, me, I, me, my, oh, btw, have I mentioned how awesome I am?".

Group B-22
vs.
Nana Osaki, NANA

Faye Valentine.

Group B-23
Suzuka, Outlaw Star
vs.
Revy, Black Lagoon

Revy

Group B-24
vs.

I had them both loose in previous round on my mini-game predictions (ooopss!)
Not having seen either, hard choice, Ill go with... Celty
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
So far I have seen five straight votes for Celty in B-24 and not one ounce of justification for why she deserves to beat Kenshiro. Are people really that much more familiar with Durarara!! than with Fist of the North Star these days? If not, then why should Celty beat probably the ultimate in animated martial arts bad-asses? Based on what I've seen of her series, I can certainly understand how she got this far, but any of her merits can be matched or beaten by Kenshiro. (Granted, she has more personality, but I'm not at all convinced that helps her in this case.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17 D

Group B-18 Ginko

Group B-19 Balsa

Group B-20 Kenshin

Group B-21 Lelouche Lamperouge

Group B-22 Nana Osaki
Couldn't care less about this match. But since Faye is coward for the most part... either running from debts or memories.

Group B-23 Revy

Group B-24 Kenshiro
This should be as far as Celty goes. In the first round I voted for her because I was sure a lot of people acknowledged her coolness, even though I didn't. This time I'll have to face reality and vote for the man who explodes people from within.

Quote:
(Granted, she has more personality, but I'm not at all convinced that helps her in this case.)

That works against her. Since she can't talk, we're forced to hear every thought of hers. She was kinda bad-ass at first, but later on she becomes a comic relief, and then "girl in love". Which is exactly when her chances in this tournament are ruined.

Hope that's satisfactory, since this round is a meh for me.
AbyssalOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.
Kirika Yumura, Noir

Voting for: D
D's suave coolness is definitely leagues above Kirika's emotionless girl cliche.

Group B-18
vs.
Ginko, Mushi-Shi

Voting for: Harlock
This was kind of a difficult choice for me, as despite Harlock's indisputable coolness, Ginko is a character I find irresistibly cool. Still, have to give it to the Cap'n.

Group B-19
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.

Voting for: Balsa
Urahara may be worthy, but Balsa is one of the worthiest.

Group B-20
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin
vs.

Voting for:Kenshin

Group B-21
vs.

Voting for: Lady Eboshi
I really wanted to vote for Lelouch here, but overall his character definitely has way too many sub-cool moments in comparison to Eboshi's determination.

Group B-22
vs.
Nana Osaki, NANA

Voting for: Faye

Group B-23
Suzuka, Outlaw Star
vs.
Revy, Black Lagoon

Voting for: Revy
No contest.

Group B-24
vs.

Voting for: Kenshiro
Celty seems to be getting a lot of undeserved favoritism here. Kenshiro is the paragon of the shonen badass: a martial arts prodigy with a heart of gold on a roaring rampage of revenge. Dealing with punks in a post-apocalyptic wasteland seems a little cooler than being an angsty supernatural courier in Ikebukoro.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
My usual procrastination aside, I was hoping to get around to voting after having more time to make up my own mind about the match itself...but it seems this particular point is one that really shouldn't be left unopposed so early in the game.

I apologize in advance to those who might be bored, bothered or otherwise inconvenienced by my ramblings but...a little more debate is clearly warranted. Wink

Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I strongly disliked [Lady Eboshi] at the beginning of the film, only to find myself admiring her, despite the decisions she made. What makes her such an amazing character is that, unlike Lelouche, she is not so egocentric. While every single Lelouches action was meant not to help others, but add up to his image and bring him personal gains, Lady Eboshi actually sacrifices a lot for the people she takes under her wings, without the constant "Me, me, me, I, me, my, oh, btw, have I mentioned how awesome I am?".

I am not under the illusion of pretending to forcefully change your (or anyone else's) personal opinion here but this is simply inaccurate, considering both the actual events of the anime itself and their varying interpretations.

Lelouch is indeed selfish and has an overly high opinion of himself, this is true, but he is also perfectly capable of being selfless on multiple occasions. In fact, I would even say there is actually an internal tension between both of his characteristics here: sometimes they overlap, sometimes they take him in completely different directions. It's, in the end, not as clear-cut as it seems on the surface. Which, incidentally, is one of the reasons I find him cool.

Some examples of the above include:

a) In the first episode of the show, Lelouch goes out of his way to try to help the apparent victims of a car accident while bystanders prefer to take pictures and gossip. What personal benefit is he getting from this? Nothing, really.

Later on, even when his ambitions may also benefit, Lelouch doesn't always make the most effective and efficient choice from a purely selfish, cold-hearted perspective. In fact, you could argue he tends to make things more difficult for himself by not being truly emotionless.

b) Lelouch's personal motivations have a distinct duality: he wants to have his revenge against Britannia and his father, yes, but also to create a "kind world" for his sister. What Lelouch actually fears the most is dying without accomplishing this, not his own safety or security. A completely selfish person would place his own life above any such considerations and wouldn't want to do anything for anyone else.

c) For someone who can be quite bold and ruthless, Lelouch doesn't believe that his own crimes should be forgiven or left to rot in impunity. He admits that his actions are "evil" more than once and isn't under the illusion of his path being a pure, heroic journey either. Lelouch is aware of the consequences...even if they do cause him to go through moments of doubt or great pain along the way. He eventually moves forward by acknowledging that he will have to pay for his flaws and errors, sooner or later, instead of pretending to be innocent or guilt-free.

Specific instances of this would be the endings of both seasons but, more blatantly, the finale of Code Geass R2. Which basically consists of spoiler[ Lelouch planning his own death and intentionally presenting himself as a tyrant in the eyes of world opinion and official history. ] The exact opposite of wanting to preserve his image or reputation and not something that benefits him directly, to be honest, although his dual goals did end up being served.

Really, you could even say Lelouch cares more about his cause(s) than about himself as an individual. That shows a rather strong determination instead of mere selfishness for its own sake. Does he hesitate? Yes, but he overcomes that hesitation all the same.

d) Following that line of thought, Lelouch is actually capable of sparing subordinates who have either failed or betrayed him, sometimes because of his mistakes and through little fault of their own, instead of passing on the blame or trying to dispose of them like a true mustache-twirling villain would. Cynically speaking, there are those who would have preferred to see him go all the way down this route and earn extra coolness points as a complete monster who cares for nothing or nobody, sure, but I think that would be missing the point.

Then there is, of course, the issue of morality vs. coolness. I do not feel Lelouch ends up being particularly admirable in this respect, by and large, but a character's degree of coolness does not necessarily depend on his or her moral behavior. It may well be the deciding factor for some, by all means, but that isn't an inherent requirement within this tournament. The presence of a few characters considered villainous or immoral should be a testament to that.

And, of course, all of this is without saying anything about the more overt or superficial aspects of coolness, such as the magnitude of a character's feats, their influence and skills, including not just what they are able to accomplish but how they do so. Suffice to say that I don't think Lelouch himself is lacking in this area, not at all, but I may have to elaborate on that later on.

Personally speaking, I believe Lelouch really is a magnificent bastard in the (well, almost) literal sense of the term. He commits many acts that I would find to be morally repugnant or inadvisable in real life, no doubt, but as a character in a work of fiction I do not feel this detracts from his coolness. Others, by all means, are free to think otherwise.

To put it another way...if someone doesn't like Lelouch or just doesn't find him interesting, period, then that's fair enough. Nobody is under any obligation to do so. However, I simply believe he should be given a fair representation here because, for better or for worse, there is more to his character than what has been said so far.

Make no mistake: Lady Eboshi deserves to receive a lot of support here, because she is a great sympathetic antagonist whose role might be easier to appreciate as "cool" depending on your preferences. It's just that, in terms of both my personal and intellectual convinction, she shouldn't win through an almost literal clean sweep.

If this was all about, say, Princess Mononoke vs. Code Geass such a lopsided outcome wouldn't be a problem, no, but I think it can be more complicated (and, by extension, more interesting) than that as far as the characters themselves are concerned.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
My usual procrastination aside, I was hoping to get around to voting after having more time to make up my own mind about the match itself...but it seems this particular point is one that really shouldn't be left unopposed so early in the game.

I apologize in advance to those who might be bored, bothered or otherwise inconvenienced by my ramblings but...a little more debate is clearly warranted. Wink

Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I strongly disliked [Lady Eboshi] at the beginning of the film, only to find myself admiring her, despite the decisions she made. What makes her such an amazing character is that, unlike Lelouche, she is not so egocentric. While every single Lelouches action was meant not to help others, but add up to his image and bring him personal gains, Lady Eboshi actually sacrifices a lot for the people she takes under her wings, without the constant "Me, me, me, I, me, my, oh, btw, have I mentioned how awesome I am?".

I am not under the illusion of pretending to forcefully change your (or anyone else's) personal opinion here but this is simply inaccurate, considering both the actual events of the anime itself and their varying interpretations.

Lelouch is indeed selfish and has an overly high opinion of himself, this is true, but he is also perfectly capable of being selfless on multiple occasions. In fact, I would even say there is actually an internal tension between both of his characteristics here: sometimes they overlap, sometimes they take him in completely different directions. It's, in the end, not as clear-cut as it seems on the surface. Which, incidentally, is one of the reasons I find him cool.

Some examples of the above include:

a) In the first episode of the show, Lelouch goes out of his way to try to help the apparent victims of a car accident while bystanders prefer to take pictures and gossip. What personal benefit is he getting from this? Nothing, really.

Later on, even when his ambitions may also benefit, Lelouch doesn't always make the most effective and efficient choice from a purely selfish, cold-hearted perspective. In fact, you could argue he tends to make things more difficult for himself by not being truly emotionless.

b) Lelouch's personal motivations have a distinct duality: he wants to have his revenge against Britannia and his father, yes, but also to create a "kind world" for his sister. What Lelouch actually fears the most is dying without accomplishing this, not his own safety or security. A completely selfish person would place his own life above any such considerations and wouldn't want to do anything for anyone else.

The kind world for Nunnaly all in all turned out to be another idea that Lelouche kind of droppedsomewhere along the way to create a world working according to his and only his rules. Throughout the two series there were a multiple solutions offered to create a kinder world, but since the ideas were not Lelouche's he went out of his way to destroy them- what happened to Euphie is the best example of it.

Besides, as the series progresses, most of Lelouches charisma comes not from himself but from his geass and brainwashing other people. He starts off as a cool character, but ends up as a complete opposite. All in all, charismatic? Maybe. Cool? Definitely not.

I agree, this has got nothing to do with morality, specially as morality of a fair amount of contestants here is questionable, but Lelouche is in my eyes a hypocrite (another uncool trait). For most part of the series he pretends someone he is not, and he masks ugly actions with pretty words, betrays friends and becomes cause of death of many, humiliates people 'for their own good'.

spoiler[And he dies as he lived- without other people to be able to pass judgement upon him, an easy way out.] The crocodile tears he shed every couple of episodes did not really convince me he had any sort of deeper interest in other people, as long as they served their purpose in his game.

All in all, for Lady Eboshi people were real people with feelings, for Lelouche they were object he could discart once they became useless. Uncool.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
EDITED:

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier.

Unicorn_Blade wrote:

The kind world for Nunnaly all in all turned out to be another idea that Lelouche kind of droppedsomewhere along the way to create a world working according to his and only his rules.

I'd argue the idea itself was always part selfish and part selfless, not one or the other, and wasn't really dropped.

Lelouch is clearly an anti-hero or, if you prefer, a modern interpretation of the Byronic hero. What separates him from someone like Light Yagami is, precisely, the fact there is a tension between his goals and his methods that he couldn't just ignore and which wasn't resolved without obstacles and struggles.

There is a contradiction involved, by all means, but where you see a sign of hypocrisy I see a sign of inner conflict.

Ironically, following that line of thought you'd eventually have to argue that most true anti-heroes are all inherently selfish and hypocritical because, more often than not, they're supposed to be pursuing formally admirable goals using questionable or outright anti-heroic methods of their own choosing. Therefore, they shouldn't be "cool" at all.

It's just that the more straightforward examples are merely content to be "edgy" while still acting in traditionally heroic ways and do not take the subtext of the concept to heart: that people find them attractive precisely because they do not have all the usual traits of a hero, as a matter of fact, but combine them with negative characteristics. And you know, this can be pretty cool because of the different story opportunities they provide, beyond those of goody-two-shoes.

Considering Lelouch is the person who would ultimately end up benefiting the least from the realization of his plans, on a direct personal level, the choice of methods is far more egoistical than the goal itself. Naturally, I do not pretend to suggest that this character or this behavior is going to be universally liked.

Quote:
Throughout the two series there were a multiple solutions offered to create a kinder world, but since the ideas were not Lelouche's he went out of his way to destroy them- what happened to Euphie is the best example of it.

It is and it isn't. He wanted to do just that...but he changed his mind. What happened to her, as contrived as it was, ultimately didn't result from Lelouch's short-lived attempt. Nor did he feel happy about it.

It's also important to note that, regardless of his previous manipulations, Lelouch essentially spoiler[ left the world in the hands of his sisters and others who did not share the worst of his methods]. He didn't do what they wanted him to do nor did he act how they wanted him to act, but he spoiler[ removed himself from the stage, accomplished the goal of creating peace and ensured that his own name would live in infamy as punishment.]

I don't even agree with the character's underlying logic for the plan, mind you, but that is still quite impressive on a scale of feats and isn't what you'd expect from, say, the likes of a truly uncaring villain.

Quote:
Besides, as the series progresses, most of Lelouches charisma comes not from himself but from his geass and brainwashing other people. He starts off as a cool character, but ends up as a complete opposite.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Pretty much the only time Lelouch actually brainwashes anyone (other than his enemies) into following him, as a replacement for convincing them through his actions or words, is extremely late in the second season. By which time that is a direct consequence of what his final plan implies.

The vast majority of people who ever followed him didn't do so under the influence of Geass, which was merely the tool he used to pull off his more complicated feats, for better or for worse.

Quote:

For most part of the series he pretends someone he is not, and he masks ugly actions with pretty words, betrays friends and becomes cause of death of many, humiliates people 'for their own good'.

And yet, even if we were to accept that generalization just for the sake of argument, he also goes out of his way to save those friends in situations where that wouldn't really matter to a true jerk and even places his own life on the line for them. If he didn't care, he simply wouldn't need to. They can all be replaced, right?

I would think that my description of his character explains why this isn't so, as opposed to just portraying him as either the devil himself or an angel from heaven. Neither category is really comprehensive.

Quote:

spoiler[And he dies as he lived- without other people to be able to pass judgement upon him, an easy way out.]

That depends on your own moral compass, but it's rather ironic to say such a thing when spoiler[ pretty much the entire world passed judgment on Lelouch, both while he was implementing his plan and after the fact.] You can accuse him of choosing his punishment (which some would consider cowardly and others wouldn't), but punishment it remains.

Quote:
The crocodile tears he shed every couple of episodes did not really convince me he had any sort of deeper interest in other people, as long as they served their purpose in his game.

Which doesn't explain why Lelouch risked his life for those same people multiple times and either delayed or jeopardized his plans as a result. In fact, Lelouch's "tears" were rarely witnessed by anyone and, more often than not, they worked to his detriment rather than to his benefit. Faking emotions doesn't work like that. His actual lies usually consisted of pretending to be more heartless, boastful or emotionless in public, as opposed to whatever guilt or regret he felt in private.

If anything, in the end the fact that Lelouch still managed to summon enough determination to overcome all the melodrama, against all odds, and make it count for something through his actions is a sign of a strong yet questionable willpower, as opposed to a crippling yet admirable weakness. That's not what I'd want people to do, honestly, but it's cool in fiction.

Quote:
All in all, for Lady Eboshi people were real people with feelings, for Lelouche they were object he could discart once they became useless. Uncool.

He's a different type of character playing another role. From a cynical perspective, I could turn around and argue that being a completely heartless manipulator from beginning to end would be, as far as fiction goes, quite cool. Ironically, I'd think he might even be doing better in this tournament if he fit your description...but then he would likely be less interesting and less cool for me.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.
Kirika Yumura, Noir

Kirika. This is the only matching here where I have seen both anime (in D’s case the film Bloodlust). You might consider me biased but I have yet to see a vampire anime that I didn’t think was crap. Bloodlust is one of them. To me a successful bad-ass must be entertaining. D ponces around and postures a lot but I didn’t find him remotely amusing. Perhaps I should blame director Yoshiaki Kawajiri for imposing his unappealing style on the character. Admittedly, Kirika has her shortcomings but I always find bad-ass humans far more interesting and fearsome than bad-ass supernatural beings.

Group B-18
vs.
Ginko, Mushi-Shi

Ginko

Group B-19
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
vs.

Balsa

Group B-20 Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin
vs.

Kenshin

Group B-21
vs.

Lady Eboshi

Group B-22
vs.
Nana Osaki, NANA

Faye Valentine

Group B-23
Suzuka, Outlaw Star
vs.
Revy, Black Lagoon

Revy

Group B-24
vs.

Celty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17 D, Vampire Hunter D

Group B-18 Ginko, Mushi-Shi

Group B-19 Kisuke Urahara, Bleach

Group B-20 Oscar Francois de Jarjay, Rose of Versailles
I think I've mentioned before, but I don't find Kenshin to be very cool, sure there are other "won't kill anyone" characters, but I think Kenshin doesn't take it as seriously, it's like he has limited self interest in surviving if he absolutely must kill someone, I really wasn't impressed by him and I find him to be overrated. And Lady Oscar is a classic, I still need to either see the series or read the manga, but I feel confident voting for her over Kenshin based on reputation alone.

Group B-21 Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke
Ugh, so I don't like either series so I can't just play favorites here. I just think Lelouch acts too childish while Lady Eboshi is a far more respectable mature woman. I think she'd put Lelouch in his place too, so I've gotta go for her.

Group B-22 Faye Valentine, Cowboy Bebop

Group B-23 Suzuka, Outlaw Star
Part of my vote for her is her skill with a sword, sure, but she also has a cool demeanor about her that I just love and find to be very, well, cool! And where everyone else she's fighting is using guns, magic, and magic guns, plain ol' wooden sword!

Group B-24 Kenshiro, Fist of the North Star
Gonna go for classic on this one.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
...I think I've mentioned before, but I don't find Kenshin to be very cool, sure there are other "won't kill anyone" characters, but I think Kenshin doesn't take it as seriously, it's like he has limited self interest in surviving if he absolutely must kill someone, I really wasn't impressed by him and I find him to be overrated. And Lady Oscar is a classic, I still need to either see the series or read the manga, but I feel confident voting for her over Kenshin based on reputation alone...

Please read Kenshin's nomination carefully. It is actually for Kenshin Himura as Battousai The Manslayer. Like the Count of Monte Cristo or Lucy, it's his one aspect of the dual personality that has been nominated. Or, more accurately in this case, Kenshin prior to the Meiji Restoration.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Results. For the first time this tournament, Olliff didn't have (or tie for) the highest score of the round. He still holds first, though.

The funny thing about this round is that, going off the mini-game, they all looked like they would be landslides. If Michiko had won B-19, that would have been a massive upset, as Mustang was favored 13-0. Instead, that honor goes to Zoro, as only 2 people expected him to win, compared to 11 for Kenpachi.

Mini-game accuracy for A-2 (63.2%) was above average (56.2%).

I don't think I mentioned this last time, but the first round was the most accurate for the mini-game ever, at 78.3%. That's over a full standard deviation from the average of the last 6 tournaments (72.2%).
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

Please read Kenshin's nomination carefully. It is actually for Kenshin Himura as Battousai The Manslayer. Like the Count of Monte Cristo or Lucy, it's his one aspect of the dual personality that has been nominated. Or, more accurately in this case, Kenshin prior to the Meiji Restoration.

The funny thing is the fact someone else might want to argue Battousai's weak point is how he eventually lost all his badass and cool after "transforming" into Kenshin but someone like crazy, irrational me would consider that specific event a positive and integral part of the story instead (not to mention he eventually became stronger too). Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 53