• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sues A.D. Vision, Sentai, Others for US$8 Million

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
There is also less competition for licenses, so licensing fees tend to be lower. Currently if Funi doesn't want to pay what a Japanese company wants for a title, Sentai might. However, if Sentai isnt there to bid on a title, Funimation could just wait until the rights holders are willing to accept what they offer, or you may have to wait even longer for someone smaller to make a play for it.

Waiting out the production committees isn't without its costs, though. If you delay the R1 release too long, there won't be enough demand remaining to justify the license. Complaints about how long it takes for shows to appear in R1 have been a perennial feature of fan discussions for as long as I can remember. With the expansion of simulcasted streaming, fans will have even less incentive to wait patiently for a physical release.

True and it's even more reason why a Japanese licensor would want to keep competition alive. They usually get a percentage of sales from the title. If you wait to long and sales suffer then everyone makes less money.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
AlanMintaka wrote:
For those of us who buy DVDs from both outfits, this is an extremely bad PR move for FUNimation to make. If they hurt Section23, they hurt us too.

This is the business world we are talking about, not some buddy club setting. Remove all sentimentality.

PR is part of the business world. This is the real world we are talking about, not some fantasy setting in which PR is considered separate from successful business, and in which an interest in any tactics based on successful PR is somehow thought of as "sentimental".

Remove all naivete. Businesses are out to make money, and a successful PR campaign is part of the money-making process. Where's the sentiment? Beats me. You brought it up; you remove it. I don't have any to remove.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
AlanMintaka wrote:
For those of us who buy DVDs from both outfits, this is an extremely bad PR move for FUNimation to make. If they hurt Section23, they hurt us too.

This is the business world we are talking about, not some buddy club setting. Remove all sentimentality.

PR is part of the business world. This is the real world we are talking about, not some fantasy setting in which PR is considered separate from successful business, and in which an interest in any tactics based on successful PR is somehow thought of as "sentimental".

Remove all naivete. Businesses are out to make money, and a successful PR campaign is part of the money-making process. Where's the sentiment? Beats me. You brought it up; you remove it. I don't have any to remove.

And you just made my point on it (and I consider "sentiment" and "naivete" to go hand-in-hand here). Businesses, like FUNimation, are out to make money, so why should they care if a competitor goes down because of them? Because the fanbase likes them? I understand where you are coming from from a PR standpoint--that fans will view them negatively over it--but the bottom line is (from their standpoint), "so what?" The fans will be angry now, but when they really want that title they want, are they just going to thumb their nose at the company because they sank Sentai? Which is worth more: more licenses, leverage, and industry control, or vitriol from fans? One is far more concrete and of actual substance and the other can be smoothed out over time.

Also keep in mind that this is a company that has shown to favor consolidation and being the big dog in the pound. Why let a competitor go when you have both the opportunity to take them down and get money (and possibly their licenses) for it. If it were the other way around, John Ledford and Co. wouldn't bat two eyelashes before doing the same to FUNimation. This isn't PR suicide, it is just business. There are worse ways to harm your business with bad PR.

And for the record, I've liked some of the things FUNimation has done over the years, but I'm not their biggest fan, either, and certainly don't want to see them become the single most dominating player in the R1 industry (a la monopoly). However, I have to be realistic to see what they are doing, in spite of my feelings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16