• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
It is kind of funny when you think that a Girls und Panzer topic has turned into a discusion on American politics. But it is distracting away from what this series is about: Girls and Tanks.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
Please stop with the political debate already. I don't want this thread closed for getting off topic, OK?

Agreed. This is not a political forum. If you want to talk politics then there are numerous places you can go to spit propaganda and venom but this is not one of them. We're not going to allow you to derail threads about an anime TV series with your political garbage as it's off-topic and unfair to the fans who actually want to, you know, talk about "Girls und Panzer" in this thread.

Bottom line; the political discussion stops now. Particularly for you dragoneyes001 as you've demonstrated a repeated desire to bring up politics in other threads as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
Please stop with the political debate already. I don't want this thread closed for getting off topic, OK?

I second that.

dragoneyes001 I am guilty of interjecting a political comment here and there and nobody so far has objected, but dedicating whole posts to the subject and hijacking whole threads is not going to make you any friends here. Take it to fark or reddit where they live for that. P.S. I am sympathetic to your politics.

Back on to topic, this episode features some of the most piss-poor tactics I have ever seen:

DuskyPredator wrote:
Nishizumi really should not have given into the peer pressure of the group, we know that she knew that spoiler[Pravda was quite skilled in false retreats being used as traps.] Perhaps she should have told her team mates that.

No kidding. Having set traps themselves, I can't imagine why all of them weren't wary of a trap of the kind they charged into. Nishizumi shouldn't have had to try to shout them down mid-battle. Then to concentrate and immobilize their forces like that. It is a wonder that Pravda didn't just take them out and not parley, giving them three hours to work out a counter-plan.

Of course they will win this somehow, but only because there was so much incompetence on both sides that chance plays a larger factor.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Miho might have known what was happening, but was hellbent on capturing the flag just, using the same tactics in their bout against Saunders. There's no way they could employ many other kinds of strategy when you're completely overwhelmed and outgunned. Still, a little caution before they rolled into a village that affords them blindspots was needed. I think their skip over the Anzio fight made them out to look like veterans when it's clear the lot of them are still fully green. They'd have been steamrolled by Saunders if Kay wasn't such an Ameribro and Freedom-lover.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's no way they could employ many other kinds of strategy when you're completely overwhelmed and outgunned.

I am by no means an expert in Tankery but maybe someone else here more knowledgable could comment.

The only strategy I can see working for them is that they have (had) I think two guns that have longer reach than any of the opposition. Clearly what you want to do is trick/isolate the enemy flag tank into being exposed and take it out from the longest range you can.

Instead they went to slug it out toe to toe or dogfight -- the worst possible fight for them. There's green and then there's green. This seems below that.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Zork wrote:

Agreed. This is not a political forum. If you want to talk politics then there are numerous places you can go to spit propaganda and venom but this is not one of them. We're not going to allow you to derail threads about an anime TV series with your political garbage as it's off-topic and unfair to the fans who actually want to, you know, talk about "Girls und Panzer" in this thread.

Bottom line; the political discussion stops now. Particularly for you dragoneyes001 as you've demonstrated a repeated desire to bring up politics in other threads as well.

just for the record refresh my memory which thread did i ever bring up politics? I had an entire page of posts removed about pipe fitters working for the space industry.

please don't tell me that bringing up the propaganda that was prevalent in the industry during WWII (which by the way was a legitimate response to the thread) is your example.

I wont apologize for responding when someone takes what I've posted out of context in a reply. which seems to be rampant in this forum for some posters. easier to get support if you twist what was actually said.

also the entire discussion actually was about girls and panzer's being edited on crunchyroll removing the russian folk song from the streamed episode.

what else is there to discuss? the length of the barrels the girls can play with, how the plot is so original with a school closure driving the need perform, that the animators actually added bolt E3 of the engineering blueprints to tank ****?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
also the entire discussion actually was about girls and panzer's being edited on crunchyroll removing the russian folk song from the streamed episode.

what else is there to discuss? the length of the barrels the girls can play with, how the plot is so original with a school closure driving the need perform, that the animators actually added bolt E3 of the engineering blueprints to tank ****?

Which you promptly used as an opportunity to screech about some sort of McCarthyist revival conspiracy within Crunchyroll or some other nonsense. You get some points for unintentional innuendo, but you seriously need to step your game up.

The real moral of the story is, Hiryuu is the only group you can trust. Commie loves its gratuitous German way too much for its own good, and even their straight translation still screws things up.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They'd have been steamrolled by Saunders if Kay wasn't such an Ameribro and Freedom-lover.

A true "Ameribro and Freedom-lover," as you so crudely put it, would not have withdrawn half her force from the battlefield in the name of "fair play." Then again, Sensha-do isn't actual war. Still, decency in any kind of a fight is a sign of poor tactics.

HaruhiToy wrote:
The only strategy I can see working for them is that they have (had) I think two guns that have longer reach than any of the opposition. Clearly what you want to do is trick/isolate the enemy flag tank into being exposed and take it out from the longest range you can.

Instead they went to slug it out toe to toe or dogfight -- the worst possible fight for them. There's green and then there's green. This seems below that.

spoiler[If the preview images on the official website are anything to go by, they're going to attempt a breakout from the old church. Beyond that, I can't really say. It might wind up being a repeat of Saunders, with Oarai leading Pravda on a merry chase right into a trap of their own design. Maybe Katyusha will finally learn what it's like for the shoe to be on the other foot.

At least they managed to fix the track on the StuG; they'll definitely be needing its 75mm gun, as it is indeed one of the two weapons that has a shot at harming Pravda's T-34s. If they can't repair the turret on the Panzer IV, they can at least get an extra crew member to crank it manually. The M3's own 75mm gun is out of commission, so they can probably send their extra crew member over to help crank the Panzer's turret.]

Last edited by Panzer Vor on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
Yes, sad to say, but Miho showed very poor leadership skills in eppie 8. A leader who cannot impose her will on subordinates is pretty useless. Orders are orders, not discussion points. Personally, I think she should hang a few of the girls as a friendly warning to the others.

I wonder if Miho's mom and spoiler[Flower Arranging Noblewoman mother will meet in the stands?] That might be interesting.

God, I love this show.
Zork

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yes, sad to say, but Miho showed very poor leadership skills in eppie 8. A leader who cannot impose her will on subordinates is pretty useless. Orders are orders, not discussion points. Personally, I think she should hang a few of the girls as a friendly warning to the others.

I wonder if Miho's mom and spoiler[Flower Arranging Noblewoman mother will meet in the stands?] That might be interesting.

God, I love this show.

If she does hang some girls, I hope its Momo and not any of the first years in the M3. They are just too cute!

In defense of poor Miho, she did actually consider going all out at first, but decided against it. The enthusiasm of her fellow tankers caused her to reconsider her first choice and to go with it. And she did have some valid reasons to justify that choice.

I'm sure the same thing happened to Patton or Rommel once or twice. Wink
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
So why is Miho's mom pissed? I mean, I know why she would be pissed in the first place, but apparently, seeing Miho's victories is making her more pissed.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Because Miho brought shame upon the Nishizumi school by jumping in and saving the crew of the tank that fell into the water (and in effect giving the victory to Pravda because she was seen as abandoning the fight so Black Forest got disqualified) Miho's mom doesn't want Miho to get into the spotlight anymore with senshado because it may tarnish the Nishizumi name/legacy even more.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which you promptly used as an opportunity to screech about some sort of McCarthyist revival conspiracy within Crunchyroll or some other nonsense. You get some points for unintentional innuendo, but you seriously need to step your game up.

this is a prime example of taking something out of context! by the way the leader of the anti communist movement was J Edgar. by a long-shot.

and sorry the innuendo was intentional since half this anime is about girls being sexy with tanks however much they miss the mark in fancervice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I'd say maybe a small percent is devoted to fanservice. Most notably the bathing scenes and the tank cleaning scenes. The rest of the anime purely focuses on story, character and relationship developments, and the sport.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Nope, I'd say maybe a small percent is devoted to fanservice. Most notably the bathing scenes and the tank cleaning scenes. The rest of the anime purely focuses on story, character and relationship developments, and the sport.

you are aware that the girls actively say driving tanks is a sexy way to attract guy's right?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
If you think about it, a show about girls and veicles with long barrels is kind of asking for inuendos, I don't think I really thought about it till now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 30