• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
Early Friday morning I ordered a PS4 Pro from Best Buy for $50 off list. It is scheduled to arrive 12/4.

I ordered a one-year PlayStation Plus subscription and some games from Amazon which are already here:
Bloodborne
The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

Between the PS4, my 3DS and assorted PC ports I should now get my fill of JRPGs.

Enjoy Naughty Dog games and Bloodbourne, they are fun!

For me, my parents got my my Christmas present early a 1TB hard drive, this might seem like a silly present, but I need a ton of space for anime footage for me to make anime videos on Vidme and YouTube! I can finally do that, YAY!

Bought myself a present of Sword of the Stranger from Funimation for Black Friday!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
put in an order via Sentai site's BF sale for some part 2s I never got around to picking up and others besides.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! DVD
Amagami SS+ plus DVD
Non Non Biyori Repeat Blu-ray
Windy Tales DVD
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors & Hostel Behavior DVD
Flying Witch Blu-ray

Also in the last couple months I've picked up a couple deals in goodwill stores
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time Blu-ray (I already have the Bandai DvD release, but this was like $4)
Ping Pong! the Movie (live action) DVD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
First and probably not last order from RSA's Black Friday / Christmas / Whatever sale:

Another BD
C3 Cube x Curse x Curious BD/DVD
The Devil is a Part-Timer!! Anime Classics BD/DVD
Heaven's Lost Property Angeloid of Clockwork BD/DVD
Puella Magi Madoka Madoka Rebelion BD
Sankarea BD/DVD
Senran Kagura SAVE BD/DVD
Softenni BD

Some titles that might be a bit questionable to ask someone else to order as gifts. Also, the best comedy of 2012.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
Rightstuff's Black Friday confuses me slightly, as it "finished" but undoubtedly about 99% of it will be in the holiday sale by the time it's through. I think it was one big sale last year but maybe the early Thanksgiving this year messed that up and they had to put something there in order to not miss out.

...oh wait. The Holiday Sale is now online...and does already have some repeats...
So why have two "different" sales?

Did I really need the 3-4 email reminders to "Shop before the sale prices are gone!" that I received the last couple days?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
@ SM - I had all the same thoughts you did.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah, come on. It is basic marketing 101. The time you are most likely to order from a catalog is the first 24 hours after it arrives. The same with e-mail except with a shorter time frame. Essentially they are trying to get you to pull the trigger and order something. In most cases if you set an e-mail aside to "consider later" you won't.

I'll admit it can get a little annoying. However, it is just an e-mail, you can ignore or delete it and you can opt-out and tell them to stop. Likely you will not do that as TRSI does offer good value all year and you really do want to be notified, perhaps just a little less aggressively. Confused

For the next 30 days they will be beating us over the head with Christmas sales. And you know there will be post Christmas sales, end of the year sales and January sales as well, just not as big or as good.
Sorceresspol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
There's a 2-3 dollar difference on stuff I bought during Black Friday compared to the Christmas sale prices, and I'm cheap enough for that to matter to me. Very Happy

Oh, I forgot to add that I got Dragon Ball S2 for 11.95 during Amazon's lightning deal special.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorceresspol wrote:
There's a 2-3 dollar difference on stuff I bought during Black Friday compared to the Christmas sale prices, and I'm cheap enough for that to matter to me. Very Happy

Do you mean the BF prices were better last week or that they're cheaper now?

Since I was mainly interested in Sentai's stuff and that was all cheaper on their own site, I didn't look too close at RightStuff.
The one I was thinking of was Oreshura, but I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly. I think the current price is a dollar cheaper than last week.
Sorceresspol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Many of the BF deals were cheaper last week from what I've seen. Darn their flash sale that just popped up because now I'm dropping even more money on Yona of the Dawn DVD/BL that's 29.99 for each part.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Both items I ordered on Black Friday (not yet shipped) were a bit cheaper than now.

I got caught by the daily deal so I ordered:

Persona 4 The Animation Complete Collection Blu-ray
The Return of Godzilla (1984) Blu-ray

Love those cheap Godzilla releases that help me get free shipping.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Rightstuff's Black Friday confuses me slightly, as it "finished" but undoubtedly about 99% of it will be in the holiday sale by the time it's through. I think it was one big sale last year but maybe the early Thanksgiving this year messed that up and they had to put something there in order to not miss out.

...oh wait. The Holiday Sale is now online...and does already have some repeats...

Did I really need the 3-4 email reminders to "Shop before the sale prices are gone!" that I received the last couple days?

Yeah I'm a bit miffed at all of the anime retailers for how they handled the marketing of this. I got emails from RightStuf, FUNi, and Sentai alike on Sunday afternoon/evening proclaiming, "Just a few hours left on our Black Friday sales!"...and then Monday morning rolls around and just about everything is right where it was. It really is nothing less than false advertising. I should have remembered it for RightStuf at least, since I think they've pulled the same thing over the past few years.

And I fully agree about RightStuf's email barrage too. As of a few years ago they used to be much more reasonable: one mailing at the start of a big sale, and maybe one more right before it ended. But more recently it's been getting ridiculous, especially when it comes to these daily deals during the holiday sale. No, guys, I do not need three separate emails telling me that this show is 50% off today; I'm still not going to buy it, since I could pretty much hit that in a normal sale with my Got Anime discount.

(Also would it kill Viz to maybe throw their anime titles in their weekly sales? They never seem to go on sale to any extent these days.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
My bigger beef with TRSI is that the holiday sale doesn't discount to degree that it used to. It seems that nowadays, the majority of anime sets are only discounted at 50% which is basically what you get during a "regular" sale (40% + 10% GotAnime discount). In years past, especially with Sentai titles, it was more like 60% and even higher. These days the only titles that get that kind of discount seem to be Sentai's "premium" releases.

I also miss the daily roll out where new titles on sale were revealed every day for 13 days. Now it seems new items are only released every week.
RSJakeH
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Yeah I'm a bit miffed at all of the anime retailers for how they handled the marketing of this. I got emails from RightStuf, FUNi, and Sentai alike on Sunday afternoon/evening proclaiming, "Just a few hours left on our Black Friday sales!"...and then Monday morning rolls around and just about everything is right where it was. It really is nothing less than false advertising. I should have remembered it for RightStuf at least, since I think they've pulled the same thing over the past few years.

And I fully agree about RightStuf's email barrage too. As of a few years ago they used to be much more reasonable: one mailing at the start of a big sale, and maybe one more right before it ended. But more recently it's been getting ridiculous, especially when it comes to these daily deals during the holiday sale. No, guys, I do not need three separate emails telling me that this show is 50% off today; I'm still not going to buy it, since I could pretty much hit that in a normal sale with my Got Anime discount.

(Also would it kill Viz to maybe throw their anime titles in their weekly sales? They never seem to go on sale to any extent these days.)

I guess I'm confused on how this would be considered 'false advertising' when the items from the Black Friday sale are no longer as discounted as they were last week. There really were just a few hours left to get the items at those prices. Yes, the items are still on sale, but not as low as last week. To some people that might not seem like a big deal, but to others that can be the difference between trying out a new series they fall in love with or not being able to get everything they want

Responding to the email... I've got no defence, we send a lot of emails. There really are a lot of items on sale and I know someone already pointed out that if you 'set an email aside' to come back to it later, you most likely never will. So we send multiple emails a day, reminding you of the Mega Deals and everything else going on. And some of the Mega Deals are 50% off, but some are discounted even lower than that. Remember, we're just getting started!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Got a perfect condition, sealed copy of ADV's The Slayers Movie Collection off eBay... which I finally managed to snag for its original MSRP! Proof that if you wait long enough, you can find out-of-print stuff at a reasonable price.

RSJakeH wrote:
Responding to the email... I've got no defence, we send a lot of emails. There really are a lot of items on sale and I know someone already pointed out that if you 'set an email aside' to come back to it later, you most likely never will. So we send multiple emails a day, reminding you of the Mega Deals and everything else going on. And some of the Mega Deals are 50% off, but some are discounted even lower than that. Remember, we're just getting started!

When you guys started ramping up your email output, it was a bit jarring, but now I'm so used to it that it would feel kind of unsettling if I didn't get at least an email a day from RightStuf... I mean, how would I know that it was "National ____ Day" if not for you guys?
RSJakeH
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
When you guys started ramping up your email output, it was a bit jarring, but now I'm so used to it that it would feel kind of unsettling if I didn't get at least an email a day from RightStuf... I mean, how would I know that it was "National ____ Day" if not for you guys?

Nice Find!

And since today is National Package Protection Day, I'm sending positive vibes and good thoughts that it arrives safely to you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1307 of 1401