• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Unfortunately I now see these people going after subtitle translations too and now they've been harassing subtitle translators on Twitter. Like people were demanding the translator for Kaguya-sama be fired for a minor social distancing joke in the subs (never mind Funimation can't "fire" them because all their work is freelance). And they also harassed the Dragon Goes House Hunting translator for a minor joke about KFC in the subs. Which goes to show now they've move on to harassing subtitle translators that this was never about them caring about accuracy in dub translation.

I'm unfamiliar with the situation, but this basically sounds like "company provides product that's not up to the standards the market desires (accurately translated subtitles without added comedy), market makes it known they were not happy about this, translator cries because "but I WANT to add my own comedy to my translations"".

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. Telling someone their work is below expected standards is not harassment. If you order a steak medium rare and it arrives well done, you're not harassing the chef for telling him this isn't what you ordered, even if the chef personally thought the steak should be well done whether you wanted it so or not.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Kendall TV wrote:

You're right that it's an adaptation, not a literal translation. But the cries of censorship come when the dub includes dialogue that was not present in Japanese and/or deletes dialogue that was present in Japanese. The example I gave from Dance in the Vampire Bund is one of those situations, so that might be perceived as censorship by some people.

Once again, such changes are often simply a necessary part of the adaptation process to adapt sayings, cultural references, and just dialog itself from one culture/language to another to retain the intended context. Often words and phrases have to be altered, removed, or added for the dialog to make sense going from one language to another. Those such changes are not censorship, and if people see them that way they are nitpicking and being unrealistic. Such changes are also far different from other changes or alterations that completely change the intended message, tone, and idea. Those are completely different. A lot of these "cries of censorship" are unfounded and just pedantic. Save the ire for real censorship.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with the situation, but this basically sounds like "company provides product that's not up to the standards the market desires (accurately translated subtitles without added comedy), market makes it known they were not happy about this, translator cries because "but I WANT to add my own comedy to my translations"".

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. Telling someone their work is below expected standards is not harassment. If you order a steak medium rare and it arrives well done, you're not harassing the chef for telling him this isn't what you ordered, even if the chef personally thought the steak should be well done whether you wanted it so or not.

The karaage to KFC translation was certainly an odd choice on that particular translator's part and felt like we traveled back in time 20 years to the days of jelly doughnuts in suddenly trying to hide away Japanese food. I could maybe see why they'd do that in the dub since most dubs these days are played fast and loose with their translations and not meant to be accurate to the original, but for a sub track to do something like that is completely unacceptable and would not be something I would be comfortable supporting financially. Most translation criticism is limited to dubs, which I do not watch so it doesn't affect me much, but if said issues are starting to creep into subtitles translations then that is extremely unfortunate as those practices have no place there. I would hope people voicing their concerns will be able to head that kind of practice off before it becomes more commonplace.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:23 am Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:

So what you're saying is these people harassing translators and complaining about "censorship" are Karens? Sounds about right to me.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Adamanto wrote:

So what you're saying is these people harassing translators and complaining about "censorship" are Karens? Sounds about right to me.

I know no Karen, therefore I would suppose this is a joke I didn't get; but there is no need to explain it since a joke that needs to be explained ceases to be funny.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I know no Karen, therefore I would suppose this is a joke I didn't get; but there is no need to explain it since a joke that needs to be explained ceases to be funny.
A "Karen" are privileged people you see at stores who demand "to speak to your manager" over any minor inconvenience that most other people would not see as a huge deal worth firing someone over.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

A "Karen" are privileged people you see at stores who demand "to speak to your manager" over any minor inconvenience that most other people would not see as a huge deal worth firing someone over.

I would say that any businessman that dismisses half of it's userbase as "karens" is not a good businessman. Yeah, I do not have solid numbers, but going by the political polarization I see to this day in the USA, I would not dismiss it as just "the guy in the subway with a banner that said the end is near".
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I would say that any businessman that dismisses half of it's userbase as "karens" is not a good businessman. Yeah, I do not have solid numbers, but going by the political polarization I see to this day in the USA, I would not dismiss it as just "the guy in the subway with a banner that said the end is near".
I guarantee the average anime fan watching DBZ or Naruto on streaming does not care that one line in Dragon Goes House Hunting made a KFC joke that Animeotaku123 on YouTube makes an 8 hour video complaining about.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Ok Karen.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

I guarantee the average anime fan watching DBZ or Naruto on streaming does not care that one line in Dragon Goes House Hunting made a KFC joke that Animeotaku123 on YouTube makes an 8 hour video complaining about.

I agree, not because Dragon Goes House Hunting is a series with poor popularity ratings or because said joke was lame (I suppose, I am not gonna surf the net in search of one KFC joke), but because said modification to the dub was not political in nature.

Just to clarify, I would be making the exact same kind of comment in the inverse situation, i.e. if the dub changed dialogues and even the gender of characters to hide that some characters are not heterosexual (you must already know that happened in the original Sailor Moon series back in the day):
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:03 pm Reply with quote
People are going off on a tangent. Time to get back on-topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dyuer15ut0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, finally we won't have to deal with Funi's shitty streaming anymore.

But I have to wonder: will their future blurays ONLY be sourced from the censored JP broadcast, and not the uncensored JP blurays?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13