• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV + movies) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:32 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
On a sidenote, did anyone else expect Muzan to break out in a dance and start singing Thriller during his long walk when it got misty?

ACxS wrote:
7:

You're joking. This episode was extended by 5 minutes just for MJ's moonwalk.

As an anime-only original scene, it's clear the animators' intent falls flat for viewers not of its home region. Having rewatched it and referenced back to the era this franchise is based on (Taisho), there's a definite symbolism in depicting Muzan's entrance in this specific manner.

The Taisho era is the short time frame just after the Meiji, where Japan opens up to the outside world after isolationism and embraces modernity. Modernity in some cases being the different style of clothing worn by the people who not long ago the Japanese were referring to the "Southern Barbarians". At this point, the wave of modernization brought on with no considerable impetus from the Bakumatsu civil war has more or less swept through the country, with traditionalism embodied by the Ubuyashiki (his clothing, the almost ritualistic manner of his meetings with the Pillars etc.) on its last legs by the early 20th century. Considering Muzan is not averse to using contemporary European medical equipment in his studies towards finding the cure to his weakness to sunlight, having extensively rummaged through the knowledge of Japan's traditional medical texts for so long that he's concluded it is no longer of use to him, one could see Muzan's entrance into the Ubuyashiki mansion unopposed as just another metaphor for the country changing irreversibly when faced with the unstoppable tide of modernity. Muzan only has to step on the living corpse that is the current Master for the metamorphosis to be complete.

The above could be the intent of the animators, considering how much time was spent into it that it did indeed extend the episode beyond its usual run-time. Or it could be just another rant from a virtual nobody seeing too much into what is effectively a filler scene? Perception is everything in this day and age, as is interpretation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, that dramatic entrance certainly got me pumped for the next episode. The two leaders of the opposing forces are meeting and it is entirely appropriate that said meeting be introduced with the appropriate gravitas and dread. Well done. Poop is about to get real, folks, and I cannot wait!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:40 am Reply with quote
That sure was an explosive finale (in many ways). It perfectly set up the final arc and succeeded in showing that taking out Muzan will be anything but easy, plus there is the whole castle filled with demons thing before that to worry about. All that said, the final arc being cut into three movies makes me a lot less hyped since that will make it a pretty damn long time until I will be able to see it all being based in Europe. They might do mini-seasons out of every movie but that is a big if.

The season as a whole I liked, a large part of that is me being a big slice of life guy so I enjoyed learning a bit more about the characters and them having a fun time being tortured/training. If you are not into the slower pace and less battle focus I can see the season being a drag.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:12 am Reply with quote
It was pretty funny that all the while everyone is being transported to the labyrinth castle and slayers are falling like rain, poor demon doctor is stuck with her hand still in Muzan's chest. Very Happy

They're going to milk this for a couple more years, huh.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:41 am Reply with quote
Final:

What's that? You want an encore of his slo-mo walk? You got it!

Man, I have to admit: Demon Slayer has one of the best cinematography in modern anime. ufotable is sparing no effort (or budget) to blow you away with the production. We got some clarification on Ubuyashiki, at least: he is distantly related to Muzan, and the Demon Slayer Corps was his family line's response to the latter's threat. His disease was a hereditary curse because of Muzan. I guess that's about it. I do like how Tamayo appeared at the end; it was a clue that Ubuyashiki wanted to have her on his suicidal mission right from episode one.

I don't like how his Foresight ability was revealed, however; it's a deus ex machina to explain the buildup in a blatantly convenient manner.

"How did Ubuyashiki know exactly at what time Muzan will arrive?"
"How did Ubuyashiki know exactly when to detonate his bombs?"
"How did Ubuyashiki know exactly at what time should Himejima be on standby?"
"How did Ubuyashiki know exactly at what time should Tamayo be on standby?"
"How did Ubuyashiki—"

"LOOK, HE HAD FORESIGHT, HE JUST KNEW, OKAY!"

But other than that, this episode was excellent. The final exchange between Muzan and Ubuyashiki, though a little drawn out (a habit Demon Slayer tends to have), was impactful. The sequence to defeat Muzan the moment the bombs went off was immaculate. The chain reaction that put Ubuyashiki's plan into motion was impeccable. This was the perfect setup for the climactic Infinity Castle Arc which will be 3 movies in total.

Of course, I'm hyped up. We're expecting a Wrestlemania of a Demon Slayer fiesta next!

As for this season, I will give it a 7.5/10.

As tempted as I honestly am, I won't call this a "cooling-off season". All the previous seasons have been high-key, with Tanjiro meeting one demon after another that is stronger than before. This is a "preparatory" season that is warranted, especially when the next one would be particularly climactic, and since the Hashira will be central in the Infinity Castle arc, some background story of selected Hashira would be appropriate.

Sans the explosive final episode, the season had been smooth sailing, and it was enjoyable nonetheless. Now, there's no turning back and we're off to the grand stage. Let's go!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:25 am Reply with quote
Well, that was some pretty impressive table setting. That might have been the most beautiful explosion scene I've ever seen animated. I hope Muzan's assumption is wrong and the Master's wife and two small children weren't part of it but I guess we'll see. It's going to be torture waiting for the three movies but I'll certainly enjoy watching them on the big screen. As for this Arc, I rate it Good. By far the least engrossing of the Arcs to date but as I say it was designed to set the table for the climax and here we are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13