• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
This episode is much better than last week's.

It's a little hard to go from Watching Bleach to watching CG and hearing the same voice from the main character but, I'll get over it.

Lulu's past is going to be interesting I think.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I find that statement to be more than a little bit rude for no damn good reason. Also keep in mind, that many, and hopefully most of the people that are in this thread haven't seen Code Geass before.

Maybe it could have been phrased more politely (though I didn't have a problem with it) but it's a pretty accurate description. I like the shows fast pace durring the more action oriented episodes a lot actually it doesn't try to hold your hand. If you pay attention you should have no problem I think. CG does have slower episodes though when it's trying to be funny and not a dramatic action/mech show.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Somebody said somewhere a while ago that Code Geass is really the kind of show that is best to marathon through, and I have to agree. Taking in this show in once a week just leaves more time for the show's weak points in storytelling and massive plot holes to really sink in. When I first saw the first season of Code Geass, which was after the Japanese broadcast with all the fansubs completed, I found myself enjoying the show much more than I did watching Death Note, a show that I watched while following the Japanese broadcast. Having less time to think about the show's flaws made it easier for me to overlook them and enjoy the show for its good points as a well executed suspenseful action drama.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I like the shows fast pace durring the more action oriented episodes a lot actually it doesn't try to hold your hand. If you pay attention you should have no problem I think. CG does have slower episodes though when it's trying to be funny and not a dramatic action/mech show.

Perhaps the way I worded what I said before left the wrong impression that I don't like fast paced shows. This is not the case. I think there's a difference between a well put together fastly paced show, and a jumbled mess. And right now it seems to be scenes haphazardly thrown together with an almost amateurish consideration to flow. It reminds me of many late 80's early 90's OVA's. Now I say this knowing full well that more often than not, it takes most anime several episodes to get into full swing where everything is meshing. So this is just the feeling I get after watching exactly two episodes. But right now the fast paced flow seems to be more in line with the rocky excitement of a novice whitewater rafting, than it does with say an experienced fighter pilot or a cage fighter. I don't need them to hold my hand per se. I just don't want them to grab a hold of my hand and shake me like a rag doll hanging off of a cliff.

That said, it's not like I hate it at this point or anything. The plot which has been forced upon us seems interesting enough. And I see a lot of potential for growth. The action scenes are actually quite good, and the animation is good enough to where you don't miss anything. But at this point I can't help but feel that they are trying to jackhammer points into my head, and I can't say I was expecting or like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
My satellite provider actually did something right for a change and updated the schedule, so I didn't have to change anything on my DVR. Smile

As stated before, this episode was very action-orientated, and I enjoyed it. But now I'm looking forward to the actual plot, instead of all the shiny machines. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Perhaps the way I worded what I said before left the wrong impression that I don't like fast paced shows. This is not the case. I think there's a difference between a well put together fastly paced show, and a jumbled mess. And right now it seems to be scenes haphazardly thrown together with an almost amateurish consideration to flow. It reminds me of many late 80's early 90's OVA's. Now I say this knowing full well that more often than not, it takes most anime several episodes to get into full swing where everything is meshing. So this is just the feeling I get after watching exactly two episodes. But right now the fast paced flow seems to be more in line with the rocky excitement of a novice whitewater rafting, than it does with say an experienced fighter pilot or a cage fighter. I don't need them to hold my hand per se. I just don't want them to grab a hold of my hand and shake me like a rag doll hanging off of a cliff.

That said, it's not like I hate it at this point or anything. The plot which has been forced upon us seems interesting enough. And I see a lot of potential for growth. The action scenes are actually quite good, and the animation is good enough to where you don't miss anything. But at this point I can't help but feel that they are trying to jackhammer points into my head, and I can't say I was expecting or like that.

Nothing wrong with that, though I don't really see it that way. I've found that I like fiction that will bend me, shake me, and try to break me though. I just go with the flow, enjoy the ride, and see where it takes me.

One impression I got from Code Geass is that unlike some other mech shows I've watched they don't waste time with long panning shots of the mechs. Instead they really only show what needs to be shown treating them like devices instead of spectacles to be shown off. Blue Gender and Gasaraki were the same way and I rather prefer that approach. Could this be part of what you're picking up on? I think it could sort of relate since it would make things go by faster.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
One impression I got from Code Geass is that unlike some other mech shows I've watched they don't waste time with long panning shots of the mechs. Instead they really only show what needs to be shown treating them like devices instead of spectacles to be shown off. Blue Gender and Gasaraki were the same way and I rather prefer that approach. Could this be part of what you're picking up on? I think it could sort of relate since it would make things go by faster.

Ah! That's what could be bothering some people. They want the mecha fan-service!
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
Somebody said somewhere a while ago that Code Geass is really the kind of show that is best to marathon through, and I have to agree. Taking in this show in once a week just leaves more time for the show's weak points in storytelling and massive plot holes to really sink in. When I first saw the first season of Code Geass, which was after the Japanese broadcast with all the fansubs completed, I found myself enjoying the show much more than I did watching Death Note, a show that I watched while following the Japanese broadcast. Having less time to think about the show's flaws made it easier for me to overlook them and enjoy the show for its good points as a well executed suspenseful action drama.

I agree with this 100% i marathoned through all the episodes in 3 days (not sure how much sleep i got) and i loved them. Now i am watching the dubs and i really hate having to wait till next week to watch (so i go watch the fansubs AGAIN) but any one who likes this and doesn't want to wait i recommending watching the subs then watching the dubs as they come out. you can even start R2 while your at it.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
it is a realy good anime and i hope they box set this one its not somethig you can put out in vol.

besides the way the market is moving boxsets are the norm more so than they used to be
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Chaos42 wrote:
it is a realy good anime and i hope they box set this one its not somethig you can put out in vol.

besides the way the market is moving boxsets are the norm more so than they used to be

they are releasing it in two disk sets (the first one will be 10 episodes. It's suppossed to be released in August.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

No that's not really what I am talking about, although I can't speak for others. In one way quite the opposite. I loved Blue Gender, and I thought Gasaraki was decent. Though that last one had some problems that aren't really relavant to what we're talking about here. I am not sure if I can compose anymore thoughts to explain this more. I am not a film critic, and so I lack the technical noir terminology to properly explain the awkward show dynamics that I am feeling, and transfer them to written form. I apologise. I think I should go back and state what I stated before, and in which a few people chimed in and said they agreed. And that's the feeling I get when watching this is similar to watching a sports highlight reel show. Which is supposed to light up ones eyes, but in all other ways is empty and void of any meaning or bearing. Only in the end to repeat the process 30 times in order to make a show out of it. The second reason this is a good comparison, and one that may be more important than the first due to its obvious nature, is because of the way the show handles scene cuts. Again I lack the technical know how to explain that properly. I think what I am keying in on most are these two things.
braves

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as how this thread is so big with only 2 episodes having been aired, I went and added an index in the first post.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Hm. It's a fun show. I'm having fun watching it. Every once in a while I just like to kick back with something colorful, you know, but this one's going to have to REALLY prove itself to get me "emotionally attached."

Also, I really like Johnny Bosch's work most of the time, but I'll agree that his Lelouch, while not bad, isn't everything it could be given the role. I'm not even comparing it to the Japanese; I haven't seen the Japanese. He's just not immature/drolly excitable enough. The twinge of evil is missing unless he's laughing hysterically, which he does only once here. He should stick to the really good guys, huh?

But I can't blame him. Most of this dub is stereotypically over the top, but it works for a post-apocalyptic mech show, so I'm enjoying it. Really, the sillier the better, as I'm getting a real kick out of Lloyd and Kallen. (I mean, Lloyd is HORRIBLY whiny, but it works for some reason, and makes me laugh. And did he seriously say, "That boy is an excellent piece of equipment? Laughing ) (And, have you seen Kallen's boobs? That's not right! They're enormous compared to the other female characters! Shocked )

(One more immature comment: RIGHT after Lelouch says to the prince, "Thought I was dead? You were wrong?" ....there's a fart noise. I swear I'm not making that up. The prince makes this weird noise at the back of his throat that makes it sound like he broke wind in terror. Laughing )

I hope Lelouch gets to use his powers in unique ways, and I'm glad Suzaku, (as I figured) isn't dead. All the same, I have to ally with a few posters on here who said they see heavy strains of Gundam in this series.

Except, so far, I could take Gundam more seriously. Wink We'll see what happens. I should be nicer. This is a fun show. Many pretty colors and smooth mech animation, and easy to follow for a post-apocalyptic war story. Not like GiTS over-complicated or anything. And it moves at a great clip! This isn't the kind of show I could tolerate being slow at all. Thank goodness it isn't. Melodramatic and fairly cliche, but well-paced and a lot of fun. I'll stick with it, sure. Very Happy
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm one who likes the "fast-paced" feel of this series myself, although I think in sort of a different way than what has been said. I just feel like it adds to the overal campy, overdramatic feel the series has about it that I'm also really liking quite a bit about it right now.

In any case, definitely a better episode this time around (though I quite liked the first one as well). This is a series that's just oozing with potential to have one heck of an interesting storyline. I liked how spoiler[we learned more about the Geass ability (not being able to use it unless you make direct eye contact) and I'm seeing a potentially interesting confrontation between Lelouch and Suzaku. Two best friends on opposite sides, almost like Kira and Athrun from Gundam Seed. And that bit of revelation at the end of the episode makes for some potentially interesting stuff as well. Wink] Not to mention the battle sequences remain to be just downright awesome, if not moreso than from the last episode. Cool

And am I the only one who acutally likes the dub here? Confused Based on what I've heard so far about Lelouch's character I guess I can go ahead and admit Bosh could be doing a better job, yeah, but still not half bad nonetheless (I'm actually quite liking him as a villain! Anime hyper ). And the rest of the dub cast seems to be doing quite well for themselves as well.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And am I the only one who acutally likes the dub here? Based on what I've heard so far about Lelouch's character I guess I can go ahead and admit Bosh could be doing a better job, yeah, but still not half bad nonetheless (I'm actually quite liking him as a villain! ). And the rest of the dub cast seems to be doing quite well for themselves as well.

No, you're not, I find it excellent as well, especially at catching that over the top, campy style that the series uses. It's a Goro Tanaguchi directed series after all (Infinite Ryvius, Planetes, Scryed).

Also, Lulouch is technically an anti-hero not a villain he does...sort of take the moral high ground in the series it's just some of his methods spoiler[are no better than Britania's which he's supposedly fighting against. He believes in order to beat the enemy you have to sink yourself to their level and become one real SOB I guess]. Basically, he's not your typical "good guy", he's rather cold, selfish, and ruthless and the only thing he really cares about is...well we haven't gotten to that point in the series yet so I won't say anything.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed May 07, 2008 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 60