• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED... wow!... Destiny... WTF?!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
BES Null Core wrote:
guet wrote:
Athrun is a perfect example of this. Even though he "knew what was worth fighting for" by the end of the first season, Destiny ignores this and starts him down the same path all over again, and does it much worse the second time around.

You have given a perfect example of the fallacious criticism of Destiny. Read what you've written: Athrun "knew what was worth fighting for," not "who was worth fighting for." The two are not equivalent terms. The fact that he spoiler[took ZAFT's side initially in the new war] does not constitute a character regression or development. In no review did the critic actually address whether spoiler[ZAFT in the second Bloody Valentine War acted as it did in the latter part of the first Bloody Valentine War.] The issue is critical if one wants to use Athrun as an example of character regression, but it cannot be established as true, because it isn't.

In one episode Zaft has captured a bunch of EF members, and then proceeds to execute every single one. Athrun sees this but he still doesn't see that the Zaft of Gundam Seed Destiny, and the Zaft of Gundam Seed are pretty much the same. The only difference is that since Durandal is smarter and not nuts he puts up a front of a heroic leader who only wants peace.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
In one episode spoiler[Zaft has captured a bunch of EF members, and then proceeds to execute every single one.] Athrun sees this but he still doesn't see that the Zaft of Gundam Seed Destiny, and [spoiler]the Zaft of Gundam Seed are pretty much the same. The only difference is that since Durandal is smarter and not nuts he puts up a front of a heroic leader who only wants peace.[s/poiler]

The episode you are attempting to remember is spoiler[18,] specifically at 19:30. You are indisputably incorrect; spoiler[ZAFT neither captured any EA soldiers nor executed any EA POWs] in the episode. spoiler[The Earth Alliance soldiers were captured by the resistance members, and it was the resistance members who executed the EA soldiers.] By the time any ZAFT soldier arrived, spoiler[the execution had already begun, and the only ZAFT soldier who set foot in the town during the entirety of the execution was Shinn, who had exited his mecha by the time Athrun saw the execution.] You ascribe to ZAFT an act they did not commit. Athrun did not have the evidence you allege he had at his disposal and ignored.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I like the show because I think it's interesting "enough" and visually is appealing, which is about as far into the argument as I care to go when the whole thing is subjective in the long run.
Wellness

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
IMO SEED Destiny is pretty much very similar to NASCAR.

Unless you are a gearhead, that likes the mechanics of the machines (or model sets), their is no depth to it all other then pretty colors plus designs and ideas ripped from other shows in the Gundam franchise.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Wellness wrote:
IMO SEED Destiny is pretty much very similar to NASCAR.

Unless you are a gearhead, that likes the mechanics of the machines (or model sets), their is no depth to it all other then pretty colors plus designs and ideas ripped from other shows in the Gundam franchise.

Except that the machines in CE era are awful, too. A bunch of rip-offs of UC machines and absurdly powerful beam spammers that get increasingly ridiculous looking as they go along.

Both SEED and its sequel are such flat, soulless monsters. I can only think they appeal to a certain kind of viewer's desire to see shiny things explode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Except that the machines in CE era are awful, too. A bunch of rip-offs of UC machines and absurdly powerful beam spammers that get increasingly ridiculous looking as they go along.

Both SEED and its sequel are such flat, soulless monsters. I can only think they appeal to a certain kind of viewer's desire to see shiny things explode.

... I can't think of any reasonable response to such fanaticism.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

... I can't think of any reasonable response to such fanaticism.

To the contrary. It's fanaticism that causes people to enjoy low-rent garbage like Gundam SEED. It's reason that lets me see how bad it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
joshinji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
The general opinion seems to be of a low regard for really both, and because of this I feel kind of weird that I loved both so much.

Short answer to the original question though, is if you enjoyed SEED why not go ahead and watch Destiny? While I really couldn't get that behind Shinn, I loved the overall story and really I personally have a hard time differentiating the two has two different series. To me, watching Destiny seems only natural if you want to get the whole story. It is a huge investment just like SEED, with it being 50 episodes long, but I was so hooked that I was able to bang it out in two weeks.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
The series started off good, but I hated it by the time spoiler[Athrun decides to defect ]spoiler[from ZAFT again] and the focus of the series was back to the whole Naturals vs. Coordinators conflict, as well as spoiler[Durandal]spoiler[being the main antagonist and having the Archangel and their allies fight against those of the Minerva near the end of the series] . I felt the main antagonist should've been Lord Djibril, it would've made SEED Destiny far better. So the writers did a bad job with the storyline for SEED Destiny in always making a ZAFT/Plants guy into the main antagonist and not someone from the other side like Djibril. So I was disappointed with SEED Destiny overall, it was like a repeat of the first series.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
To put it bluntly, if you liked Gundam SEED, and want to continue liking Gundam SEED, DO NOT EVER IN ANY FORM watch Gundam SEED Destiny! It truly is that horrible. It contradicts and even completely re-writes the returning cast's character development from the previous series, it undermines the new cast's character development to pander to fans of the old cast (Shinn, the supposed new main protagonist, gets knocked down to second third banana Anakin Skywalker wannabe by mid-series because Kira fans whined loud enough, I am not even joking), and the plot suffers from so many last-minute re-writes and late script turn-ins that anything even resembling a plot ceases to exist by about the last third of the damn thing, and it basically degenerates into desperate grabs at fan service to limp to the end.

So...yeah. If you'd like to maintain a positive impression of the first SEED, avoid Destiny like the plague.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I liked SEED Destiny, so I guess I must be weird...

I can certainly think of shows I hate which I would describe badly, so I don't think it's that I don't hate anything. I just don't automatically hate a show because of flaws that.. many other shows have if you are pretty nitpicky too (like pandering, fan service, plot that seems random, etc.)

I think the expectations of people were high and they were not happy with the results, and then there were those who didn't like SEED in the first place, and it's no surprise that they didn't like what came after it.

(I'm noticing that all the people who did hate it somehow managed to watch a great deal of it just to make sure their hate was thorough. That's always been odd to me. If I truly hate something, I .... don't watch it. Like... Zatch Bell. I truly hate that, but... I don't watch it.)
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
There was one thing I really enjoyed about Gundam SEED and it was the spin-off Gundam SEED Astray, the characters of Astray were really likeable and my fave is Serpent Tail commander, Gai Murakumo voiced by Kazuhiko Inoue(whom voiced Jerid Messa in Zeta Gundam). Sunrise only produced two five minute OVA's, one to introduce Gai's Serpent Tail and the other to introduce Lowe's Junk Guild. I'm disappointed that Sunrise never decided to make a Gundam SEED series revolved around the Astray characters. I think the whole Gundam SEED franchise would've been better if we had a Gundam SEED Astray TV series, or at least a 12 episode OVA, or something. I wish there was a way to start up a petition to get Sunrise to make a Gundam SEED Astray series.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I think the expectations of people were high and they were not happy with the results, and then there were those who didn't like SEED in the first place, and it's no surprise that they didn't like what came after it.

(I'm noticing that all the people who did hate it somehow managed to watch a great deal of it just to make sure their hate was thorough. That's always been odd to me. If I truly hate something, I .... don't watch it. Like... Zatch Bell. I truly hate that, but... I don't watch it.)

I thought Seed was great, but not spectacular, so my expectations had nothing to do with it. Destiny really was just a bad show. And the last paragraph doesn't make sense. Why would I judge Destiny until I finished the whole thing? My judgment would be questionable if I only watched five episodes and declared, "Seed Destiny is awful!" It's like acting you can criticize a book when you're only 1/4 of the way through, it comes off as pretentious and making assumptions about the story past where you left off.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I liked SEED Destiny, so I guess I must be weird...

I too liked it, at least for quite a while. So you are only weird if you liked it even after realising just how bad it was. Read on.

Xanas wrote:

The thing about SEED Destiny is that it has such a great opening stretch of episodes (relatively speaking), and it has so many great elements, that much of the audience found themselves lured in. I had heard how bad the show was but I still bought the first DVD. Partly because I wanted to know just how bad, but also to give the show a chance. The first DVD was great, and it made me buy the second, which (mostly because of episodes six and seven) made me buy the third DVD. From there on out I could spot the many many flaws (which had been around since the first two episodes) but I didn't care. Each volume was enjoyable enough to keep me buying the next.

However, it was only when I had watched spoiler[Kira get the Strike Freedom] that it hit me; this show had been crap the moment spoiler[Kira crashed Cagalli's wedding.] in episode what, thirteen? In fact, it hadn't actually been good since the first half of episode seven. I am a little ashamed that I didn't realise sooner just how bad it was, but I suppose my like for the old cast interfered with my judgement.

The Kira and Athrun from SEED Destiny are - in a way - the same Kira and Athrun as who started SEED, not the ones at the end. They haven't learnt anything. "What are we fighting for?" Athrun asks Kira in episode eight of SEED Destiny. Well duh, you only asked that question for most of the first season's run. Having the old cast continually ask questions they already knew the answers to over and over again in the new season does not make said season more intelligent or "deep".

Though I was annoyed at the time about this, I really should have understood then that this will be a chronic problem. Same goes with the reuse of stock footage in episode two, or in episode one when the Chaos is apparently nuclear-powered according to its startup screen (blatantly copied from the Freedom). So many tell-tales early on which didn't affect the early episodes but which utterly crushed the later ones. If only I had been awake to notice them instead of mindlessly enjoying a terrible series. But really, spoiler[having Kira and Athrun survive their own deaths] was the final straw, the shock which jolted me back to reality.

Xanas wrote:
I think the expectations of people were high and they were not happy with the results...

We had this with Endless Eight in the new Haruhi season. People defended the season saying that the detractors' expectations were too high. I told those people defending Endless Eight that it is quite reasonable to expect a sequel with the sort of budget that Haruhi has to be at least in the same ballpark in terms of quality than the original. It is quite reasonable to demand that the sequel at least attempt to live up to the standards of the original work. After all, we are still forking out money or suffering through ads to legally watch it, so don't screw us over with the drivel they put out.

doctordoom85 wrote:
And the last paragraph doesn't make sense. Why would I judge Destiny until I finished the whole thing? My judgment would be questionable if I only watched five episodes and declared, "Seed Destiny is awful!" It's like acting you can criticize a book when you're only 1/4 of the way through, it comes off as pretentious and making assumptions about the story past where you left off.

I managed to judge TTGL as being utter garbage after just two vomit-inducing episodes (thankfully not literally, but you know what I mean). I only lasted one episode of Godannar. As I've said before, sometimes you don't have to climb to the top of a mountain of crap to realise that all that time you had been climbing a mountain of crap. Then again, sometimes a thin veneer (such as bringing back an old cast, no matter how out-of-place they are) can block your nose long enough to get near the summit.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Or do like I did... watch Gundam Seed Destiny before watching Gundam Seed. Worked just fine for me. Gundam Seed was much better though, but it's not like I came to hate the characters from Gumdam Seed Destiny like everyone else here seems to. Just like Nagisa said, they knocked out Shinn and that totally ruined the ecstasy of the anime. Other than that, it was quite enjoyable to watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13