• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 2009 Anime Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Akemi17 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Vic can't overract. He can't act period.

You guys are just jealous. He's one of the many voice actors that actually made me feel what the character was feeling. He made my heart squeeze in a good way. How do you think he won an award for playing Edward?

I'm jealous, you're right. I wish I could get paid and awarded for being mediocre and popular for my good looks instead of talent. Who wouldn't want that?

Vic didn't make me feel anything. He made Ed into an unsympathetic robot who whispers a lot.

I don't even care about his supposed behavior. He can be a serial killer, for all I care. All I care about is talent. Unfortunately, he hasn't displayed much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KingKaos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
cnav wrote
Quote:
if ur not leaving the anime because of the cast,,then wy do u want funimation to get the same cast as bfore...

and by the looks of ,,it looks like people didn't like fma as an anime but rather liked the cast....if that is the case ,,then i advice u people to go watch animes which have the guys who did the voice acting for fma characters in the first anime...that would really filter the FMA anime fans from the FMA cast fans....

Perfect point... a lot of people are complaining for all the dumbest reasons... Get yourselves detached from the old FMA anime... thats not what this NEW FMA anime is trying to do.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
Haha, you know, it's not impossible that Ed could have a son that looks like Al - my cousin looks more like his uncle than he does his father. That, and they weren't his kids anyways, they were his grandkids. Or great grandkids. Or whatever. Either way, I think you're reading a bit too much into it.

I wouldn't consider it incredibly canon, either, I just think they meant to suggest that, yes, they stayed here.

The theme of FMA, to me, is not that perseverance results in a perfectly happy ending. Like I said before, I find the main theme to be sacrifice. And I really don't see them as having given up. They did what was necessary. It was more realistic than fantastic(speaking of course in terms of the tone, not quality), and I can see why that might have rubbed some people the wrong way, but I found it to be very fitting. Honestly, an all's well that ends well type of ending where they get everything they wanted because they fought hard and whatnot really would have bothered me terribly. That would go more against the themes of the series, imo, and it's just so much more devoid of the many deeper themes that are otherwise incorporated. But I've argued all of this before and don't really want to hijack this thread any more by getting back into the specifics - I've probably already rambled too much as it is Anime smile + sweatdrop

I would love to see some of the extras section animated, too, haha. But there's so much of it to choose from! It is Arakawa's favorite part of doing the manga, according to one of her author's notes, after all Razz Now I'm going to have to flip through all of the volumes to look for my favorites Anime hyper

Considering that Hiromu Arakawa has never stressed sacrifice, I don't see how that's a theme.

Equivalent Exchange means that if you want something you have to work for it which was based on the fact that in her childhood everyone worked on the farm.

As Ed stated he doesn't want to see Al's smiling face anymore, he wants to see everyone's smiling face.

The fact that the military is for protection, and you shouldn't follow orders blindly is a theme.

The fact that you must endure hatred of a race instead of keeping the cycle of hatred going is a theme.

Where's my apple pie Mizushima!

I do love the poster for the homunculi
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
LiuXuande wrote:

It's not hate, it's dislike with reason. That one AN Nina comic about that English VA is Vic personified...except insert several instances of Vic spouting opinions like they're canon fact (and his fans eating them up) and him acting like FMA is his to call his own.

I had the "pleasure" of meeting him at ACen once. He's best compared to a band's lead singer (there are exceptions, but you know what I mean), a jerk all-around. Compared to Travis, Aaron, etc. who were much more civil and professional (while still having fun...sort of like most Japanese seiyuu at panels and in person, etc.), he just bothers me. I'm sure a similar reason is why people dislike JYB so much as well...except he's just full of himself without a ridiculous fan following.

I could give a damn less what any of the voice actors I listen to are actually like when talking with them in person, so long as they continue to deliver good performances for characters that I enjoy. For my money, Vic did so exceptionally well as Ed, and so he earns my praise for that, as does JYB for his work as characters like Vash the Stampede.

SO EXCEPTIONALLY WELL

NINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *SNIFF SNIFF SNEEZE WHINE* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BELIEVE IT
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Considering that Hiromu Arakawa has never stressed sacrifice, I don't see how that's a theme.

Equivalent Exchange means that if you want something you have to work for it which was based on the fact that in her childhood everyone worked on the farm.

As Ed stated he doesn't want to see Al's smiling face anymore, he wants to see everyone's smiling face.

The fact that the military is for protection, and you shouldn't follow orders blindly is a theme.

The fact that you must endure hatred of a race instead of keeping the cycle of hatred going is a theme.

Where's my apple pie Mizushima!

I do love the poster for the homunculi

Considering that I wasn't talking about the manga, and that the anime has most definitely stressed sacrifice? Yes, the anime and the manga have some differing themes, but I also think many of the themes you've mentioned are prevalent in both. And I don't think that they are discredited in the anime by the separate path it takes, nor do I think the anime's own separate themes are discredited just because it's not canon to the manga. And I've pretty much argued all of that in one of the previous threads, too, don't really want to drag it back up to get off topic again in another thread. It's time to discuss the new series, not argue about the old Smile

I'm going to have to check out some work of the guy who has been cast as Kimblee - I certainly hope his voice doesn't come out soft and high pitched in an attempt to make him sound insane - he's insane, yes, but in an emotionally fragile way. He needs to sound like a hardcore sadist. I'll need to check out the VA before I make any judgments, though.

As a fan of Vic's VA work, I do have to admit that he does come off as rather obnoxious at conventions and whatnot, from what I've seen. He does impose his view of the series upon people a bit too much, and plenty of stuff he says rubs me the wrong way. But that is neither here nor there. If people can't discuss VAs without bring all of that up and taking unnecessary jabs at him, that would be a sign to me that it's becoming less of a VA discussion and more of a Vic hate-fest, which I'm pretty sure isn't what this place is for.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cnav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
I guess that this month's full metal manga was supposed to feature the name of the artist who is gonna perform the opening theme. Does anyone know who it is going to be .
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't even listen to musicians whose personality I dislike or actions I don't condone of. Why should make an exception I judge him on his acting alone? (which isn't even that great)

It's not a Vic-hate fest... look at Japanese seiyuu. I can't think of a single one that I've met or seen who behaves the same way. I'm not saying it's because that they're Nihonjin, etc, but most of who I've met or seen have tact AND talent. That's worth admiration.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Just to go a bit off topic here I have to say I'm really liking the charcter designs for the series so far. I'm especially liking Ed's as it looks a lot more 'Ed' like ^^ Well I guess the design is more true to the manga!

OMG So and so has been replaced! O_O Actually if I'm honest it makes no difference to me; I'm not really any good at telling the difference of quality when I don't understand the language. I normally don't notice Japanese voice actors unless they appear frequently in the things I watch. Besides I never wtched FMA in subs predominantly as I watched most of it dubbed :]

Oh and about Vic; why stress? Sure as a person I don't particulary approve of him but as a talent and a voice actor I really like him. Its like with people such as Tom Cruise, his personal choices may faze me a little but that doesn't lessen, for me, the quality of his acting. For me, at least, Vic suited the role of Ed's voice perfectly. I would probably be a little peeved if his voice was replaced but I don't think I'd be [/i]that[/i] bothered.

Issac... That did scare me a little when I first saw it but I've decided to see it as a positive thing rather than a negative. It will make the begining of the series a little less predictable at least Very Happy

Well its just 25 days until the New series comes out...I've been so fixated on FMA that I almost forgot about the easter eggs :] Really I'm looking forward to the new series FMA a little more than that particular tradition.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
^ I agree, and it isn't only Ed, everyone look more much more like in the manga now! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Whether or not you like his personality does not make him any more or less qualified for the role, so I really don't see the point in attacking his behavior, aside from aggravating those who want to see him reprise his role. Really, the biggest argument I can see for anything like this is Vic bringing his religion into the picture to the point where he'd wanted to change some of Ed's lines in the 1st episode to make him a little less vehemently irreligious, but thankfully, they shot him down, and he stayed in character and delivered the lines like he should have. I severely doubt they'd make any such changes this time around, either, so I still don't really see a problem. And honestly, anybody making him out to be a genuinely bad person is blowing it way out of proportion.

I have to say I am becoming much less worried about the animation - I still have some reservations, but it's definitely growing on me! Very Happy It'll definitely help to give the series a unique feel, at any rate.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Not that I care about the English dub, but I didn't know the part about Vic M. wishing to change some of Ed's lines. °_°

It was pretty closed-minded of him, I would say, and it also means that he refused to understand, or couldn't understand a big part of Ed's personality.

So, it isn't really strange that some people didn't like his performance as Ed's voice actor... anyway, as I said, I don't care about English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cnav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
did anyone notice the broad lines making up eds face when he was doing a transmutation in the previous trailer...that worried me a bit..but leavin that ,,,this anime's artwork is quite good..who knows it might also be better than the previous anime's artwork...
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
Yes I noticed that, and I wonder if in the manga it was the same (I don't remember anymore, I should check it).

Anyway, I'm not worried. Wink
cnav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
it did look odd. i hope they rectify all that and come up with a great show....

Last edited by cnav on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
cnav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13