• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah I remember reading something about that - I can't remember if it was mentioned in the forum or there was an article... anyways hopefully this new project will give him the "distraction" he needs to crack on with Berserk.

Much like you I don't mind waiting as I have a huge build up of series I have but haven't had time to pick up as well as an ever grown list of series I want to obtain. Also long breaks give me a reason (not that I need one) to pick up the previous few volumes to refresh myself... or read the whole series again like I did with Claymore and will do with Awkward Silence.

Also just finished Btooom! 4 before I head to bed and I am loosing the will to continue on with the series. I'm finding it too predictable and falls into too many clichés.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Took a small break from Kekkaishi to read the new volume of Shingeki no Kyojin today. Man, that was intense. The OAD that came with the limited edition was pretty good too. I bought this month's BetsuMaga for the drama CD and it looks like it has the next two chapters published in it. Phew! I was going to kick something if I had the magazine but couldn't read the chapters. ^^;

Next up is the new volume of Kuroko no Basket, and then I'll get back to Kekkaishi.
Spoon-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Just finished reading Buddha vol 3-8 this week and I'm just wow. Great mix of humor and seriousness. This just got me hooked from vol. 1 to 8. Kinda lost steam during the latter part of the series but quickly gained it back a few chapters towards the end.

Been trying to get back to Black Jack but I can't seem to read more than 2 or 3 chapters a night. Sometimes none at all. They're great stories but I just can't read a whole volume in one sitting. This would probably take me a whole year to finish all my Black Jack volumes but if it's a chapter with Pinoko in it...then I'm sold! PINOKO'S AWESOME!!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Today I managed to get through a few volumes which have been gathering up.

I started off this morning by reading Magi 3 which I loved! This series is forever climbing up my list of favourites. Aladdin is such a loveable character and all I want for him is to be spoiler[reunited with Alibaba]. Looking forward very much for volume 4.

I next read volumes 8 & 9 of Attack on Titan, the reveal to me wasn't so surprising but was interesting non the less. I'm guessing that the spoiler[ape like Titan is possibly Erin's dad?]. I'm also guessing that Connie's village spoiler[turned into Titans. If this is the case is it going to turn into a Walking Dead style we all have the capability to turn at anytime?] this probably isn't the case but just my thoughts.

Doubt 2 was my next read, I'm not sure why I am still reading as the lead is the kind of character that frustrates me - he needs to pick up Battle Royale and realise that not everyone is good and can be saved.

Finally I polished off Hunter X Hunter 31 which I am loosing interest in but I'm not sure why. I'm think it could possibly be because there is too much talking and not enough action, compared to the first half of the series or its possibly because the story is becoming more complicated than it needs too. spoiler[Killua's sister's power - the excessive rules and explanation that goes with it seem a little much; if that's not enough you are having to get your head around the politics and relationships between the candidates contending to become the new chairman.] I believe that HXH will become another Naruto series for me - reading because I have invested too much time to not see it through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Just polished off soul eater volumes 10&11 after putting it off for a while because i know they aren't priority targets in the manga collecting game yet im really enjoying the series and I know if i read em id wanna hop on amazon and order some more. Sure enough after reading them I came too and found myself sat in front of the computer with volumes 12 and 14 in the basket (got 13 for silly cheap off a marketplace seller).

These volumes contain the the end of the fight for the "brew" with arachnophobia and the point where the anime wanders off on its own away from the original story so its all new for me and so far im really liking the mangas way of going about things. I like how they seem to be setting up more involvement from the other witches of the world as there is a whole society of em that you only got to see briefly in the anime so im looking forward to more of that.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Also, the more I read of Lone Wolf & Cub, the more I like it, even if I still don't understand the politics much. I tell ya, fantasy politics are fine, but Japanese olden times politics lose me instantly, I'm just not familiar with it, I need to get a history book or something to help. Would probably improve my understanding of Kaze Hikaru too.

Meant to reply to this ages ago and just re-reading some of the thread reminded me, i loved lone wolf and cub and when i saw they were going to do a omnibus re-sized edition i sold all my lil pocket sized ones. Still gotta get round to buying the new releases (stop me if you've heard this before) but its a series well worth the time.

As to the politics I find it all incredibly interesting, for example the way that you could depose a lord by setting up a public shaming and he'd have to respond by taking his own life ect. Stories like the 47 ronin are fascinating and although a lot of it is romanticized it all still has a base in reality.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Just polished off soul eater volumes 10&11 after putting it off for a while because i know they aren't priority targets in the manga collecting game yet im really enjoying the series and I know if i read em id wanna hop on amazon and order some more. Sure enough after reading them I came too and found myself sat in front of the computer with volumes 12 and 14 in the basket (got 13 for silly cheap off a marketplace seller).

These volumes contain the the end of the fight for the "brew" with arachnophobia and the point where the anime wanders off on its own away from the original story so its all new for me and so far im really liking the mangas way of going about things. I like how they seem to be setting up more involvement from the other witches of the world as there is a whole society of em that you only got to see briefly in the anime so im looking forward to more of that.

The witches look like they are going to play a larger part in the next arc you are approaching. (Around volume 16/17). Enjoy as there are not too many more volumes left.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
yeah 25 volumes long, not the biggest series id have but by no means the shortest.

Makes it easier to get all of i guess lol.
J-Dark Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Been reading Assassination Classroom. It's a really good way to follow up on Neuro, really clever in how it works in these purposely conflicting elements.

Also following Billy Bat. I was terrified it was headed to an anti-climax, but then chapter 109 came out and the previous chapter was talking about the story in the story. Bullet dodged.

Watamote in my spare time. Thinking of checking out the licensed translation when I have some spare cash on me.

Also, One Punch-Man. Needless to say, it's hilarious, and the remake version has some of the best art I have ever seen in manga, period. Those action scenes are things of beauty. It's definitely a series I want on my shelf one day.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quote
J-Dark Side wrote:

Also, One Punch-Man. Needless to say, it's hilarious, and the remake version has some of the best art I have ever seen in manga, period. Those action scenes are things of beauty. It's definitely a series I want on my shelf one day.

Yeah this really needs to happen, id break the current new series embargo to get it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Today I are been mostly readin...

Toriko vols.1&2, this has been on the back burner for a while now, I liked the look of it when Y ruler of time did an episode of read right to left on it so I have been grabbing volumes of it that floated by me and wound up with 5 of them but only 1&2 in succession (others are like 5,8 and 15). Anyhow the first volume did a nice quick setup and introduced the standard shonen super tough protagonist and introduced the series hook of hunting down weird beasties for food which is quite cool and was an element of HunterXHunter that was briefly mentioned in the hunter exam. I also like the fact that Toriko has the rule of "i eat what i kill" as that's a personal belief of mine that people who hunt animals for food are fine by me but people who kill animals needlessly are evil.

Anyway its nothing super amazing but its entertaining me so far and i love the look of all the monsters and the interesting circumstances surrounding the foods they are out to get like the puffer whales in volume 2 being rare due to not only their availability but also their difficulty to safely prepare. I'll be sticking with the series for sure.

After those i spent what felt like hours with Bakuman volume 14. Don't misunderstand though it was a really good volume dealing with the integrity of the creative process but I feel like it takes me longer to read a volume of Bakuman than most other manga, could be the amounts of dialogue in em. So manga by committee vs manga by one creator is the order of the day here and while im not overly keen with the way the editors get to diddle with creative control I can see where they are coming from, on the flipside you have manga being piled on by too much input and I've never felt the democratic approach works well with creative projects.

Hell in US comics I dislike the way artists and writers drop in and out of a series, I've often lauded manga for living and dying with its creator(s) so this volume of Bakuman did speak to me a bit, it was all very interesting and it also brought back that fat shit nakai who i like to watch twist in the wind, im anticipating life taking another big dump on him.

Overall its been a pleasant evening say by the fire with some good manga.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I've just finished reading Awkward Silence 4 and again it was another fun filled volume which touched on issues that most relationships face. In this volume both couples grew closer together but it appears Satoru and Tamiya maybe facing some struggles as they step into thier seniour year and closer to having to choose a university. Now to wait to volume 5!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Just finished the first volume of Haganai, its not the best story I've read but I was pleasantly surprised as I bought it on a whim. I'm enjoying the rivalry between Yozora and Sena. Yukimura is so cute, he just wants to be spoiler["accepted"] by Kodaka which is so adorable, bless him. I will definitely be picking up the second volume to see where the story leads and hopefully I'll be able to have a few more laughs along the way.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Yesterday I read

Dorohedoro vol.11. More has been revealed but im getting a bit lost now Between Caiman, Risu, The curse and Aikawa. I get the feeling that more will be reveled later on to reveal the relationship between them but theres a lot of stuff going on.

The characters and world continue to really capture my imagination and theres so much that can be done with a universe like this. Also the art continues to be top notch, its got that level of grit to make the gore extra special but it still manages to have cute stuff (i especially liked the Judas's ear bits in this volume).

Roll on April i cant wait for more dorohedorro
Spoon-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
Just did some Christmas reading and finally finished Swallowing The Earth. It was a good read. I probably enjoyed it more than I should have. It is not without its flaws but it is with those flaws that made it so much fun for me to read. There were a lot of unnecessary chapters that didn't really do much to elevate the story but they were actually quite good. I just thought of it like it was a chapter from Black Jack.

Next on my reading list is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Really excited for this. Love how they made the hardcovers!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 109 of 154