• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

I would not bet Funimation streaming service would not end for at least another month to 3 months from now… at least not till all titles have finished moving over. They would most likely announce it first.

So overall, there is still value to a Funimation subscription since they offer a basic plan of $6 a month, and their library is still pretty massive with many shows not yet ported over, plus you save yourself from crunchy's buffering. Just of course no one should be taking a yearly option since it will be very difficult to get a refund of that later on.
Kendall TV

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:26 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Can you name one instance of "series against standards" being removed other than the black swan known as Interspecies Reviewers? Go ahead, I'll wait... while you hopefully get that garbage anti-industry talking point out of here.
Funimation's "toxic reputation" isn't from a widespread pattern of wrongdoing; it came from anti-industry grifters and outrage merchants pushing lies and making viewers think these phenomena were far more common than they actually were.

I'm not the person you replied to but I can provide instances of Funimation censoring shows for not falling into their standards.

Even though Interspecies Reviewers is the only show Funimation completely cancelled, they have been called out for censoring other shows and attempting to sweep the ensuing controversy under the rug.

Example 1:

Funimation censored Haganai NEXT (Haganai Season 2) and attempted to hide the fact that they did so. On Funimation's website, they post an image of the Blu-ray/DVD cover that does not mention anything about the inclusion of censored content:
https://i.imgur.com/FTxzNjE.jpg

But on the actual physical Haganai NEXT Blu-ray/DVD cover, there is a warning that it contains censored content:
https://i.imgur.com/4RKaWEl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4ocD13D.jpg

Buyers would never know about the censorship until after they received the Haganai NEXT Blu-ray/DVD (or unless they had closely followed news about the series).

Example 2:

The Blu-ray cover for Tsugumomo has an even worse problem. We already know that Funimation censored Tsugumomo, but they outright lied about it on the Blu-ray cover by calling it 'uncut':
https://i.imgur.com/lvAB9LS.jpg

Funimation fans who are sympathetic of the company's situation have pointed out that Funimation are simply working with the Tsugumomo masters that the Japanese producers gave them, and that Funimation did not censor the show with their own hands. While that is true, Funimation were the ones who requested the censored masters from Japan in the first place. So of course that is what Japan gave them.

--

I bring up these instances of censorship not because I want to trigger a debate about the necessity for censorship in these particular series. I bring them up because, one, I think it is important to be aware that censorship does happen, and two, it is bad for Funimation to deceive their customers in these ways no matter what one's stance on censorship is.

While I can't state the motivations of others who call out Funimation's censorship practices, I can say that I am not at all 'anti-industry' so I hope you don't interpret my post in that way. I am merely stating my observations.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:56 am Reply with quote
Kendall TV wrote:

Funimation fans who are sympathetic of the company's situation have pointed out that Funimation are simply working with the Tsugumomo masters that the Japanese producers gave them, and that Funimation did not censor the show with their own hands. While that is true, Funimation were the ones who requested the censored masters from Japan in the first place. So of course that is what Japan gave them.

Where is the proof for this?
Penrhos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:43 am Reply with quote
It's not just ecchi & fanservice censorship issues with the CR / Funi library merger.

It's subtitles & dubbing as well - if CR & Funi have the same show how will they decide which version to continue with? Hopefully the one that is translated correctly without censorship (although I'd still expect obscenities to be **** out).

Funi were well known for being woke with their subs & dubs. Even Dragon maid suffered at the hands of "Mysogonistic" subs.

I just hope this doesn't mean more annoying white beams, fog or black sharpie (in the case of WeH) as some of us are not children and don't want to be treated like them.

Maybe once the library is merged they can properly age-restrict shows so they can be watched uncensored like the creators intended, assuming you're old enough to do so,
Dayraven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just hope this doesn't mean more annoying white beams, fog or black sharpie (in the case of WeH) as some of us are not children and don't want to be treated like them.

You’re getting what they air on Japanese TV, as put there by the creators. Japanese viewers need to buy the Blu-Rays to get the censor bars taken off.

(Then there are things like the “Let’s Respect Privacy!” censor blocks in Miss Kuroitsu which are more fun than leaving them off would be.)

Quote:
Hopefully the one that is translated correctly without censorship (although I'd still expect obscenities to be **** out).

Well, I don’t want bleeping out if it isn’t in the original and the language is appropriate to the show’s general content level. Some of us are not children and don't want to be treated like them.
TheAnonymousUsual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Is there any way to get help at CR? I just signed up for the 60 day trial (being a Funi member), and even though I'm in Ohio, using PayPal with an address in Ohio, and my ISP is in Ohio, all dubs are in Russian, and I'm offered no English dubs (despite having my settings set to English). Did they get hacked?

Doesn't seem to be any good support links. Do I just throw my hands up and cancel? Within the first hour of the trial?

EDIT: I'm only getting the Russian dubs by default when I click on the "suggestions" on the home (landing) page. If I do explicit searches for English dubs, I can find and watch them. Not sure if their website is confused about my location, or if the KGB was involved Smile

Actually, maybe the Russian dubs were the most recent, and that became the default for the home page clicks? Website needs some work, maybe...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:

It's subtitles & dubbing as well - if CR & Funi have the same show how will they decide which version to continue with? Hopefully the one that is translated correctly without censorship (although I'd still expect obscenities to be **** out).

Funimation has literally never censored swearing unless it was already censored by the show itself.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Various censorship replies

It looks like it will be CR in charge, given that everything points to being based in Cali rather than Dallas, through the press releases and such.

My issue wasn't so much the censor bars, though the comments of them being on home releases does say a lot.

My issue is them picking up series then having cold feet on it, without the ability for other markets to continue to run with it. I felt sorry for the Melbourne crew given they went out of their way to source it themselves and sub it after Funi dumped the English sub, only for Funi not only to dump it from the merged service but to tell Melbourne to remove it from AnimeLab at the start of the merger process instead of leaving it until the service was shuttered. I know it will take time to fold in, but I am wondering if Interspecies Reviewers will pop up in European languages or not on CR since Wakanim did the same thing as Melbourne, except Wakanim Nord who were sourcing the English subs from Dallas. Different markets have different standards from North America, and as an Aussie I was pissed Dallas would be in control of, and thus over-censor or even restrict or dump stuff we would have no problems with.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
It's been interesting to me to see people switch to blaming the Texas dubbing companies for "censorship" after years of blaming Sony for being located in California for their censorship of video games.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's been interesting to me to see people switch to blaming the Texas dubbing companies for "censorship" after years of blaming Sony for being located in California for their censorship of video games.

I know right.... I mean "SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist" was actually censored by Japan.... But the way they censored it was just hilarious. When that's the case.. Fun has to do the same for the Subtitles. And yet the Dubbed version is not censored at all.
Kendall TV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:17 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Where is the proof for this?

The ADR director for the show talked about it when asked about the censorship. They said that some person(s) above them (i.e. Funimation's producers) didn't think the content would pass muster in Funimation's markets so they requested an edited master from the Japanese producers. This was discussed years ago when that news first appeared. I'll try to look for a link to the discussion.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
So how about those current season releases huh? Definitely coming any day now, they're definitely not just trying to scrounge what little money they can by keeping that stuck on the Funi site.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to get my yearly Funimation account synced up with Crunchyroll so I can use the rest of my time but they're taking a long time to get to back to me with my questions about it. I know they probably have a lot of requests they're responding to so I'm trying to be patient but I don't know why this isn't an automatic roll over instead of having to do this all manually.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I've been trying to get my yearly Funimation account synced up with Crunchyroll so I can use the rest of my time but they're taking a long time to get to back to me with my questions about it. I know they probably have a lot of requests they're responding to so I'm trying to be patient but I don't know why this isn't an automatic roll over instead of having to do this all manually.

Yeah they are working on it.. its going to take a few weeks or so to get that all done... SO they are most likely not going to say anything as they already said in their Q&A that they are working to set up a link to transfer your stuff over to your Crunchyroll account.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

Yeah they are working on it.. its going to take a few weeks or so to get that all done... SO they are most likely not going to say anything as they already said in their Q&A that they are working to set up a link to transfer your stuff over to your Crunchyroll account.
So there's going to be a link? I thought we had to email them directly about it to give them our email account.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13