• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Companies.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:

I've been thinking of that, too. Especially since I've already seen (and written down !) a lot of remarkably strange tasks, such as "Linguistic Consultation", "Workmanships Sound Columns", "Engineer For Acustic Dubbing" (sic) or even "Burning" Shocked or "Companies" Rolling Eyes
However, it would be much much much easier for us if we had a complete list of existing tasks (hint hint). You can only find a duplicate if you see it used somewhere in ANN. Not the best way to find out, is it ?

Since you just did me such a big favor, and since you're asking so nicely, and since you seem to be inviting even more work onto yourself Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop...
list of all company tasks
list of all staff tasks; the display_order column indicates "main staff" and the order in which they are displayed for values smaller than 255

As for companies, it is impossible to unmerge two tasks once they have been merged. Also in this case it's not so much a matter of making sure that two tasks are equivalent. As much as possible, I want the encyc to contain the exact wording that was used in the official credits. So only typos or singular/plural versions of a task should be merged. Tasks like "animation director" and "animation supervisor" should NOT be merged, even though they basically mean the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Once merged, it is impossible to undo the process, so I'm a little paranoid about merging. For example, I doubt that Xebec and Xebec M2 are the same thing.

I'll check and double check all entries, and make sure that only "real" duplicates are merged. If needed, the others can eventually be discussed later.

Dan42 wrote:

In cases were the correct name is not in the encyc, you can create it by adding a company to an anime and deleting if right afterward.

Just one question before I do this : what is the policy for subsidiaries or coordinating companies ?
e.g. CMX Manga : is the publisher "CMX Manga", "DC Comics (CMX)" or "CMX Manga (DC Comics)"
(certainly not "DC Comics", because some series are published outsuide the CMX line)

And what about broadcasting channels ? For some anime, Mediaset is credited as broadcaster for the italian version, where I would prefer it to be one of the Mediaset channels Canale 5, Italia 1 or Rete 4

Certainly, in case of doubt, I'll leave it as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Another probable duplicate:The name is rendered "カオスプロジェクト" here. I tried a Google search, but did not come up with a company Web site; the Japanese Wikipedia entry.
Suzuken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Hero / Hero TV is a subsidiary of Creative Programs Inc., itself a subsidiary of ABS-CBN. And it is the First All Tagalog Dubbed Anime Cable Channel in the Philippines!
SkyCable Platinum / SkyCable Gold / SkyCable Silver Channel 44 (Philippines)

Official Websites:
Hero TV Official Website (Under Construction)
Hero TV Official Forum (Tagalog)

Hero / Hero TV Duplicates
Hero
HERO * the Duplicate one!
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

Well... since you're offering... it would make my life even easier if the list was organized like this:
But please only include companies that you KNOW are duplicates.

Done for about 300 companies, and compiled on my website (together with the duplicate tasks, remember ?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
EDIT : double posted by accident. Sorry !
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
(correct entry/entries are marked in bold)

*Yomiko Advertising, Inc. and Yumiko Advertising
Source : the Yumiko website

Here's a puzzle for you (and for Dan42): Yomiko Advertising apparently is another name for Yomiuri Advertising, but Yomiko became part of the Hakuhodo group in 2003. Further proof:
    • Proof of Yomiuri's (former) ownership of Yomiko is here.
    This history (in Japanese) hopefully spells out the relationship; also hopefully, one of the Japanese-literate Encyclopedists will read it. ^_^;
    • Note that one of Yomiko's group companies is Yomiuri Kanagawa Advertising.
    • The Osaka Yomiuri Advertising Agency's (a member of the Yomiuri Group) nickname is "Osaka Yomiko".
    • Lastly, I note that both the Yomiko and Yomiuri Advertising entries have the same official site entered—Yomiko's.
IMHO Yomiuri Advertising should have a redirect placed on it to Yomiko, since Yomiko is now the official name, and the Yomiuri entries should be placed in a separate list under Yomiko.
asterphage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
There are three duplicates for Tsuburaya Productions Co., Ltd.
(anime#854)

"Tsuburuya Productions" is a misspelling of the company name.
company#1272

"Tsuburaya Production" is a shortened version of the name.
company#3835

"Tsuburaya Eizo" is an alternate name for the company.
company#1801

All of the information in these three company listings is now also in the main Tsuburaya Productions Co., Ltd. listing. The first two should be deleted, but dearching for "Tsuburaya Eizo" should redirect people to the main listing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:24 am Reply with quote
Wide Road (#3861) is a label of Five Ways (#1169) (as are Blue Moon and Creamy Doll, though neither of those are currently listed in the Encyclopedia).

Proof 1 and proof 2. I recommend setting up redirects for all three to Five Ways as a proactive measure.
cat_clan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
woelfie wrote:
(correct entry/entries are marked in bold)

*Yomiko Advertising, Inc. and Yumiko Advertising
Source : the Yumiko website

Here's a puzzle for you (and for Dan42): Yomiko Advertising apparently is another name for Yomiuri Advertising, but Yomiko became part of the Hakuhodo group in 2003. Further proof:
    • Proof of Yomiuri's (former) ownership of Yomiko is here.
    This history (in Japanese) hopefully spells out the relationship; also hopefully, one of the Japanese-literate Encyclopedists will read it. ^_^;
    • Note that one of Yomiko's group companies is Yomiuri Kanagawa Advertising.
    • The Osaka Yomiuri Advertising Agency's (a member of the Yomiuri Group) nickname is "Osaka Yomiko".
    • Lastly, I note that both the Yomiko and Yomiuri Advertising entries have the same official site entered—Yomiko's.
IMHO Yomiuri Advertising should have a redirect placed on it to Yomiko, since Yomiko is now the official name, and the Yomiuri entries should be placed in a separate list under Yomiko.

Here's what I think: The name of the company in Japanese is 読売広告社, which in Romanji is Yomiuri Koukokusha, which in English is Yumiuri Advertising. But the official English name is not the romanized name, it is YOMIKO ADVERTISING INC..

And the last entry Yumiko Advertising I think is just a typo of the official English name. I confirmed my theory of the typo by looking at the Galaxy Angel Z opening in which under Production (minute 1:42) it reads TV Osaka, Yomiko Advertising, Broccoli and Bandai Visual.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
GALLOP seems to be a duplicate of Studio Gallop, they both have the same official site. I assume a company page for "GALLOP" was created when Hatarki Man was added into the anime encyclopedia.
My0tis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I think my probleme go here
so, i have found Génération Comics #3077 as a publisher but in fact it was the french manga collection of Panini Comics #3090
plus now "Génération comics" is rename in "Panini manga"

but if i can talk more generaly of Panini comics here, i wonder if it's possible to divise the editor in one editor by country since they don't always buy the rigth of manga for all of them.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote
My0tis wrote:
I think my probleme go here
so, i have found Génération Comics #3077 as a publisher but in fact it was the french manga collection of Panini Comics #3090
plus now "Génération comics" is rename in "Panini manga"

but if i can talk more generaly of Panini comics here, i wonder if it's possible to divise the editor in one editor by country since they don't always buy the rigth of manga for all of them.

The problem is more complex than you describe it (or than I understand from your explanation) :

The mother company is active in several countries :
* in France, Panini is publishing manga under their sublabel Panini Manga which was until recently called "Génération Comics".
* in Germany, the sublabel is called Planet Manga.
* in Italy too, they use the name Planet Manga for the manga subdivision.
* in Spain, it's just called Panini Manga.
* in Brazil, it's Planet Manga again.
Panini also publishes manga in the UK, in Argentina and in Hungary, but I can't say for sure under what name.

In the ANN database, several companies can be related to these Panini subcompanies :
* Panini has one credit in Spanish, and one in Portuguese,
* Panini Comics has credites in French, Italian and Portuguese,
* Panini do Brasil is only publisher in Portuguese (for Brasil, of course),
* Planet Manga has a long list, but on first sight only for German and Italian,
* Planet Manga (Panini Comics) has only credits in Purtuguese,
* and Génération comics finally has to my knowledge only credits in French.

The problem is that ANN can only handle a task in one language per company. If manga x is publised in English by company y, company y can't be publisher for the same manga in French.
Some users are quite inventive in getting round the problem by adding new task descriptions (e.g. for 20th Century Boys, somebody entered "Pubblicato Da" as task in stead of "Publisher", since the company "Planet manga" was already Publisher for the German edition) or new company names (see the list above).
One result of this mess is that some manga have more than one publisher, which is in fact the same (e.g. "Panini Comics" and "Planet Manga (Panini Comics)" for Eden or "Génération Comics" and "Panini Comics" for Aisuru Hito).

One solution is to specify the language/country name in the company name. Different companies then would be "Panini Manga (France)", "Planet Manga (Germany)", "Planet Manga (Italy)" etc. Afterwards, an encyclopedia staff member can check all entries and put it under the correct company name.
I'm willing to do this task, so don't bother for the workload

I know this problem for some time already, but I wanted an expert opinion from one of the main ANN staff members before any of these companies should be merged, splitted or whatever you wanted to do with it.
My0tis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'm agreed with you, in fact you have say what i have try to describe of the probleme Very Happy

Sorry for my bad english Sad
My0tis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
This one is more simple :
Edition Tonkam #5588 is the double of Editions Tonkam #1694
theyre is only Ichigo 100% in the duplicate one
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 34