• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dennō Coil Wins Award from Japanese Sci-Fi Writers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
It mainly features kids and uses more kiddy-like art but I don't think it's a kids show, just like Kaiba isn't a kids show. Certainly the level of appreciation would not be as high among the 4kids crowd.

Err.. whoever said Kaiba is a kid's show? Considering someone dies messily while orgasming in the first episode and all..

Veers wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The thing about Dennou Coil is that it is a kid's series.
I wouldn't go that far. It's a story that can be enjoyed by children and the most of its main cast is children, but like Narnia or Wall-e or Miyazaki films, the story and the character relationships have excellent depth and solid writing, meaning someone of any age can get something out of it. One feature of a truly well-crafted story is that it can be enjoyed by multiple age groups and/or multiple times by the same person at different ages, and I think Dennou Coil fits that description.

I would go that far, and also say you have it backwards - it is a kid's story that can be enjoyed by adults. It is clearly aimed directly at children - even ignoring the content it aired on NHK Educational and had the lyrics printed on the opening sequence (something almost unique to children's programming). I've enjoyed episodes of Rugats and have bought Digimon DVDs, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not the primary target audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
- it is a kid's story that can be enjoyed by adults.
I can roll with that assessment.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
[quote=Shiroi Hane]The thing about Dennou Coil is that it is a kid's series.
I wouldn't go that far. It's a story that can be enjoyed by children and the most of its main cast is children, but like Narnia or Wall-e or Miyazaki films, the story and the character relationships have excellent depth and solid writing, meaning someone of any age can get something out of it.[/quote]

iow, it's a kid's show that doesn't suck.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
That good. Dennou Coil is a really good show. Its well animated and the story is really good. It has a good combination of cute/funny and dark/serious. Plus, it looks jaw droppingly amazing when you watch it on a HDTV. I always appreciate that.

pachy_boy wrote:
After hearing great things about it, I tried looking up free fansubs on YouTube, but they had nothing on this series. I bought the first import volume straight from Japan. No English subtitles, but I could tell just from the look of it it would be something I'd like. But again it wasn't subtitled, it was only a couple episodes on a $50 disc, so I had no intention of getting the rest online.

So they better license this at *some* point. I realize they're nit-picking just the best of the best of what could sell, but if someone did a sub-only release like Media Blasters does, then nobody would lose so much money right? I'd appreciate a dub, but whatever it takes for me to make this a part of my library, I'll be appreciative enough.

I'm not gonna advocate anything illegal, but if you paid for the show I think its ok to get those episodes in a way that you can actually watch them.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
Even if the show's primary audience was children, it definitely has a lot of depth to its plot and universe that your average 10-year-old would have some difficulty picking up on. I'm part of a weekly anime discussion group with several of my friends, and we certainly got a lot of bang for our buck speculating about the many mysteries and intricacies that come up along the way. It's definitely a fantastic show through and through, and it deserves any and all accolades that come its way. Smile
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
After hearing great things about it, I tried looking up free fansubs on YouTube, but they had nothing on this series. I bought the first import volume straight from Japan. No English subtitles, but I could tell just from the look of it it would be something I'd like. But again it wasn't subtitled, it was only a couple episodes on a $50 disc, so I had no intention of getting the rest online.

I'm not gonna advocate anything illegal, but if you paid for the show I think its ok to get those episodes in a way that you can actually watch them.

From what he said he only paid for the first volume. I have the full limited edition set and am darned well keeping the fansubs as not only are the subtitles pretty helpful but they don't have that weird grain effect that was added to the DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
Denno Coil has some great new ideas for science and ideas in it which were very original in science.

Now the show progresses to a school atmosphere on how class mates and react to class mates while trying to stick to the storyline which could be why some say its a show for kids.

The 1st 8 shows will grab you just with the ideas and concepts of how science could be in the future. Naturally it includes some traditional mixes of common things with Japanese history such as Shrines and things used with them.

I think its really cool that the show got a award for it.
tyciol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Dennou Coil is a great show. I found it a bit sad, and with plenty of mysteries left, so even though it looks resolved, I'd like to see a try at a secod season. Even if it fails it, I'll still watch it.

I hate how with pretty much anything people will chime in with 'children's show'. It's not clear cut. It also doesn't matter. Either a show is good, or it's not. If it's not, I don't understand why people feel it's worth the time to come bash it, usually on solely an emotional "oh I didn't feel grown up watching this". Go watch "Keys to the VIP" or some other big adult show then, grownup.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
sunflowerseed wrote:
some say its a show for kids.

tyciol wrote:
I hate how with pretty much anything people will chime in with 'children's show'. It's not clear cut. It also doesn't matter. Either a show is good, or it's not. If it's not, I don't understand why people feel it's worth the time to come bash it, usually on solely an emotional "oh I didn't feel grown up watching this". Go watch "Keys to the VIP" or some other big adult show then, grownup.

I was going to let the first once pass but the second.. if I've made you feel insecure by pointing out you've been watching a show aimed at children then I make no apologies as it is (show airs at primetime on an educational channel, primary cast all children, zero fanservice, opening karaoke, manga published in a shoujo magazine etc.. you do the math). If you think for one second that equates to "bashing" the show then you are the one who needs to "grow up".

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2