• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - DEATH DECAY CHAOS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So if you still haven't bought Cowboy Bebop on DVD, all five of you...

I guess I am one those five, but in my defense I don't like Cowboy Bebop. I thought it was a boring.
----
It used to be that the reason people bought anime was to watch anime. With streaming and fansubs, this is no longer the case. I think there are three core 'audiences' that need to be targeted. First, there is the collectors (I consider myself in this group). Collectors buy anime for the psychic benefits of collection. They are willing to pay large sums of money to have a rare item on the shelf. The collector group is small, but has deep pockets. The second group is the dub watchers. These fans buy anime to watch it dubbed, and they are willing to pay a premium for it. These fans are serviced by Funimation, who dubs everything. The final group is the frugal audience. These are fans that don't have deep pockets, but still want to support their hobby. These are your students or people hurt by the economy. The members of this group are willing to forgo a dub or bells and whistles if it means they can get the anime at an affordable price.

So, to say that in the future all anime will be sold at $400 a pop is silly, because that only services one audience. As long as these audiences exist, companies will try to sell to them. It is quite possible that the advent of streaming will kill off dub-fans, but I doubt it will happen in the next ten years.
MarineCorps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything else, though! Buy it up now or forever hold your griping and anger. I can't imagine how freaking upsetting it must be to serious Gundam fans at the moment, knowing that you have only limited time to track down all the different series you want before Bandai officially calls it quits, all the while knowing you'll probably never get your hands on Turn A or ZZ Gundam. Just heartbreaking

Very much so. Crying or Very sad
Optitron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Oh, oh yes - buy whatever it is that Bandai still owns as quickly as you can. Because here's the thing - yes, they'll still be releasing the titles they own as long as their license remains active, but, Bandai isn't going to be making a countdown clock for whatever title it is that you want, letting you know EXACTLY how much time you've got left to purchase it before it disappears in a cloud of smoke and broken dreams... whatever Bandai title you want, you'd best run off to Right Stuf or Amazon ASAP and load up your cart with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or Code Geass or anything Gundam as soon as you've got the time.

Okay, here's what I don't get. Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, and every Gundam series ever created were all made by Sunrise. Sunrise is a wholly owned subsidiary of Namco-Bandai. Doesn't that therefore mean that the licenses for these shows only expire if Bandai feels like selling them off to someone else? I fully admit to having no understanding of the workings of the anime industry, but if I'm wrong then what exactly am I missing here?

(This feels like it could be a full "Hey, Answerman!" question, but I'm guessing after this week Brian is going to be pretty burned out on Bandai-related questions, so I'd rather just drop it in this forum... which could be a huge mistake, but whatever Wink )

Last edited by Optitron on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
The final group is the frugal audience. These are fans that don't have deep pockets, but still want to support their hobby. These are your students or people hurt by the economy. The members of this group are willing to forgo a dub or bells and whistles if it means they can get the anime at an affordable price.
This membership must a small subculture of the majority that have and will continue to watch free bit-torrents and fansubs. Still the hugh white elephant in the room that nobody wants to admit is there.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:
Okay, here's what I don't get. Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, and every Gundam series ever created were all made by Sunrise. Sunrise is a wholly owned subsidiary of Namco-Bandai. Doesn't that therefore mean that the licenses for these shows only expire if Bandai feels like selling them off to someone else? I fully admit to having no understanding of the workings of the anime industry, but if I'm wrong then what exactly am I missing here?

(1) Bandai Entertainment is a US subsidiary of the Bandai group.
(2) Sunrise is a Japanese subsidiary of the Bandai group
(3) Plus other members of the various production committees involved

Even though they both may have the same owners, the way that rights and revenues are managed is by Bandai Entertainment licensing the work for a period of time, with set Minimum Guarantee, royalty rates etc., and then (hopefully) all sides meet their contractual obligations and exercise their contractual rights and everything goes smoothly.

Its not even automatically the case that Sunrise was the international licensor ~ it could have been another member of the production committee, which may have been another member of the Bandai group in some cases or a member of the production committee that was not a member of the Bandai group in others (broadcaster / advertising firm / manga publisher / etc.).

Since Bandai Entertainment itself is not being shut down, it still possess its legacy rights, until the terms of the rights contracts expire. In the cases of particularly valuable franchises, the license would normally have been renewed, but now, instead, they will revert to their original owners.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
The final group is the frugal audience. These are fans that don't have deep pockets, but still want to support their hobby. These are your students or people hurt by the economy. The members of this group are willing to forgo a dub or bells and whistles if it means they can get the anime at an affordable price.
This membership must a small subculture of the majority that have and will continue to watch free bit-torrents and fansubs. Still the hugh white elephant in the room that nobody wants to admit is there.

Those who only watch free bit-torrents and fansubs are neither a majority nor a minority of the market ~ they are outside the markets and don't really count for a commercial entertainment industry except for whatever indirect impact they might have on the market.

Decades of "free" commercial television has instilled the idea, perhaps particularly in the US, that "the audience" is what matters ~ but it only matters with respect to commercial entertainment to the extent that it can be monetized.

And so, yes, the torrent downloaders and fansub viewers are quite like the White Elephant of Thai mythology, something that looms large in symbolism and myth, but in reality may not really be all that important.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
all the while knowing you'll probably never get your hands on Turn A or ZZ Gundam.

Never say never. Dirty Pair and Gintama prove that Sunrise is clearly willing to outsource its content to non-Bandai entities.

Is it just me, though, or is it hilariously ironic that the company is releasing K-On! as a boxset while complaining that boxes were the reason they can't stay in business?

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I can foresee Bandai Ent refusing to give up the licensing for Gundam at the same time they aren't producing any more physical media. Gundam will be in limbo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It's always sad to see a company go, especially one like Bandai, which was such a good anime company. While it seems like the anime industry is slowing down (it's been like that for a while btw), it's as someone said, it's not like Bandai "died", they are just bowing out gracefully. It really isn't like what it used to be. But since Bandai has bowed out, I think I better go ahead and grab Wolf's Rain and Gundam Wing. (Just Gundam Wing, I'm not into the rest of the Gundam franchise) before they run out, because I ain't paying an arm and a leg on amazon or ebay.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:

I guess I am one those five, but in my defense I don't like Cowboy Bebop. I thought it was a boring.

I'm the second one except I haven't watched it at all! (and have no desire to).
Sippin Coffee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Just gonna throw this out there: all the apocalyptic doom-saying after a struggling, increasingly small company finally goes out after more than a year of people speculating that it would do exactly that is ridiculous and unnecessary.

I'm certainly no 'doomsayer' but this Gundam fan is definitely concerned about my favorite IP.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Bandai's first board meeting with Brian in the chair: Well Brian, whats the answer, how do we iron out the kinks?

I chuckled because I'm under the firm belief the question's never been asked by anyone currently employed at Bandai.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:

I'm the second one except I haven't watched it at all! (and have no desire to).

Number three checking in. I figured early-on that the show is too pretty to own in mere SD. Must be on the right track, considering how good it looks even just going through the basic upscaling for CN-HD. Who knows what may come, but this is one set of guns I plan to stick with come lunar explosion or high water.

And tv (free or otherwise) didn't ruin anything, at least back when people understood & accepted (note: I didn't say LIKED) the purpose of ad-funded programs. I still sit through them when making my brief jaunts in online streaming, whether the variety of as-seen-on-tv from Hulu, the same-ad-every-time-on-every-show of On Demand or ANN's feeds, or those few precious times where you can get it all done up-front. They are doing their part, it's only right for us to return the favor.

Though, with Bandai's expressed end-date, and their history with releases... is there a tacit understanding that they won't really finish releasing new content until March?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Though, with Bandai's expressed end-date, and their history with releases... is there a tacit understanding that they won't really finish releasing new content until March?

They will, without a doubt, finish releasing in February 2012. Though whether the second month of the year, February v1.0 or the third month of the year, February v2.0, that remains to be seen.
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
Guess I'll claim the title of 4th non-Beebop owner, and can throw in a couple of friends for 5th and 6th.

I actually think this might have been taken better if they had folded financially. That we can get. This, to me at least, was an incident boud to happen. We've all been at odds over pricing for years now, and it was only a matter of time before a comapny said "we can't please the casual fans wanting lower and lower prices, so we'll just say screw them, leave them to their torrents, and focus on the collector's market with really expensive items". It's a sign that the market isn't dying so much as it's a market companies don't want to cater to, which is far more frightening.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
sure, you can tune in to Community on NBC

I can't even do that, NBC is like Fox Jr. and put it on hiatus Sad Good shows on tv here are in the same boat as anime on tv, often getting moved to a crappy timeslot, or replaced/cancelled altogether :/

I know I need to pick up the last bits of Bandai media before it DOES become impossible to find... I have other priority purchases right now, but I'm not going to wait THAT long! Fortunately, I just need to grab the rest of Tales of the Abyss, some .hack//Root singles, and a bunch of the Code Geass novels/manga. At least all those got completed, but according to MyAnimeList, Code Geass: Knight hasn't ended? Queen is done, so I can get that, but I don't want to pick up an unfinished series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4