• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2008 - Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
atlanime wrote:
I just don't believe that reruns of Assy McGee on Saturdays are getting better ratings than Shin-chan. It was the highest rated show on their Sat. lineup last month.

Well with the Ratings Report tonight, last Saturday's ratings(first Saturday with the new lineup) showed that ATHF got the same #1 numbers as Bleach did the week before: 258,000. So take it for what it's worth.

We don't care about how Bleach and ATHF are doing, we care about some of the other shows, like the aforementioned Shin-Chan and Assy McGee.

Which one got the ratings: Some kid doing the Ass-Dance, or a character that is an Ass.
RauTwilight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Looks like this panel was more about corporate ass covering than anything. Typical.

I would agree, I'd like to hear about new acquisitions at least, since Code Geass and Moribito are already dead to them. Moribito was still new, it hadn't even had a chance to bloom out before being shot down.

So they didn't say anything on Naruto continuing to air? The talk of a Friday block suggests Naruto might move to Friday nights, but is there any confirmation on what's going to happen to it?

Yeah I agree with both of yall corporate assing, indeed Code Geass shift possibely understandable (given its been on longer than Morbito) but Morbito (which had like what 3 weeks of airing times 1 ep a week equals 3 eps at time then boot due to poor ratings sounds like utter b.s to me since when due you judge a new show's rating only after 3 eps of it [not only that but its not even half the series nor a quarter of it])

As for Naruto don't know about it status...

-As for the morbito thing that wasn't fanboyism just that in my opinion, ratings should only count for a series that been on longer than only 3 eps or at least somewhere between a quarter to half the series in general (like for example Code Geass or any other anime that's been on the CN/AS for that matter) before kicking it off to the abyssmal timeslot.
cardcaptor_yue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry adult swim has no right to complain about low ratings when they give the series no advertising space on their channel. it bull**** like this that had me praying code geass would be on animondays over at sci fi but I was wrong. I will continue to buy the dvds and support the series as I always do.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptor_yue wrote:
I'm sorry adult swim has no right to complain about low ratings when they give the series no advertising space on their channel. it bull**** like this that had me praying code geass would be on animondays over at sci fi but I was wrong. I will continue to buy the dvds and support the series as I always do.

You might not be lionizing Sci-Fi so much in a few years. They're notoriously quick to hit the panic button and cancel a show if things seem to be going south. They killed MST3K despite it having a devoted following, killed Farscape on a rather cruel cliffhanger, saved Good vs. Evil from cancellation on USA only to kill it after a season, and I know some people who still hold a grudge against them for Dresden Files and Invisible Man. There was also LEXX, but let's face it- that show had it coming. It's been rumored that one of the reasons Battlestar Galactica was wrapped up after four seasons was that the creators feared they'd be next and didn't want to leave plot threads hanging.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
atlanime wrote:
I just don't believe that reruns of Assy McGee on Saturdays are getting better ratings than Shin-chan. It was the highest rated show on their Sat. lineup last month.

Well with the Ratings Report tonight, last Saturday's ratings(first Saturday with the new lineup) showed that ATHF got the same #1 numbers as Bleach did the week before: 258,000. So take it for what it's worth.

We don't care about how Bleach and ATHF are doing, we care about some of the other shows, like the aforementioned Shin-Chan and Assy McGee.

Which one got the ratings: Some kid doing the Ass-Dance, or a character that is an Ass.

Considering Shin-chan isn't even on tv anymore(new episodes are on the Fix only), Assy is definitely getting higher ratings, unless Shin gets more online views than Assy gets tv views.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rebecca1/2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
While that's entirely possible given how stupid Assy McGee is, I think the poster wanted a direct comparison for the timeslot of the ratings ShinChan was getting when it was being aired, versus the ratings AssyMcGee gets now aired in ShinChan's place.
FlawlessObituary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
well personally I think that CN is trying to get rid of all it's glory days. cause Toonami was all it had left. Sure, there may still be anime on Adult Swim, but personally, i'm thinking that soon enough that might get cut too. think about it, did any one really see Toonami getting cut? I know I didn't. maybe it was just a spur of the moment thing, but now it's gone for good, and I really do think that Adult Swim might be next (considering all the crap shows they're putting up instead of anime.)
theknight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
FlawlessObituary wrote:
well personally I think that CN is trying to get rid of all it's glory days. cause Toonami was all it had left. Sure, there may still be anime on Adult Swim, but personally, i'm thinking that soon enough that might get cut too. think about it, did any one really see Toonami getting cut? I know I didn't. maybe it was just a spur of the moment thing, but now it's gone for good, and I really do think that Adult Swim might be next (considering all the crap shows they're putting up instead of anime.)

Glory days? cartoon network's glory days died off when they removed all those good anime like gundam and dragon ball z with blue dragon. cartoon network had nothing left when they "upgraded" it into what ever that sad excuse for a block was.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
theknight wrote:
FlawlessObituary wrote:

Glory days? cartoon network's glory days died off when they removed all those good anime like gundam and dragon ball z with blue dragon. cartoon network had nothing left when they "upgraded" it into what ever that sad excuse for a block was.
Well, they had Naruto. Which is a bit like saying that Napolion had hight on his side.
rebecca1/2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
Personally, I was surprised to read that CN was at an anime convention in the first place, then I remembered they're headquartered near Atlanta... the travel costs were probably nil.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote
Well when I flicked over to Cartoon Network I saw ads for only American shows really (Maybe one or two anime ones). I'm not sure if you americans get it, but it seems to be lack of advertising. If you are not selling a product you can't really expect a product to sell well right?

It is really disappointing to see this fail. I think now more people will be inclined to go watch the anime online now due to their lack of dosages (Not saying they don't do it before Very Happy).
animalia555

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
I stopped watching CN when they they pulled MAR ,and Prince Of Tennis
TypicalUsername

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Guys and Gals,

In reading all your posts, what are you worrying about? Am I the only one with a DVR or TiVo? Who cares what time slot it's in! I'm more pissed that I didn't even know Morbito wasn't even advertised at all, so I didn't know when it started and missed the first 2 episodes. As far as the time slot change goes, most of who you have watched it should know, Sunrise Mecha series typically don't do too well rating wise on AS. Gundam Seed was put in the same time slot a couple years ago, so I was expecting this for Geass.
Overall, let's face it. The hay day experience of the late 90's early 00's are over. Joe Schmoe isn't watching Anime any more and it's becoming a more niche programing. For those of you who wish it was a Sci-Fi, get real. At least CN HD, is formatting their broadcast and putting at a decent resolution. Sci-Fi HD even has some crappy re-scaling being done to where on my 50 in LCD, the viewable space is about 32 in.
Just don't worry and complain. Toonami hasn't been viable since the early 00's. CN has agreements in place with Production IG and Viz, so you'll typically always get 2 to 3 new series always going on.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
TypicalUsername wrote:
Guys and Gals,

In reading all your posts, what are you worrying about? Am I the only one with a DVR or TiVo? Who cares what time slot it's in! I'm more pissed that I didn't even know Morbito wasn't even advertised at all, so I didn't know when it started and missed the first 2 episodes. As far as the time slot change goes, most of who you have watched it should know, Sunrise Mecha series typically don't do too well rating wise on AS. Gundam Seed was put in the same time slot a couple years ago, so I was expecting this for Geass.
Overall, let's face it. The hay day experience of the late 90's early 00's are over. Joe Schmoe isn't watching Anime any more and it's becoming a more niche programing. For those of you who wish it was a Sci-Fi, get real. At least CN HD, is formatting their broadcast and putting at a decent resolution. Sci-Fi HD even has some crappy re-scaling being done to where on my 50 in LCD, the viewable space is about 32 in.
Just don't worry and complain. Toonami hasn't been viable since the early 00's. CN has agreements in place with Production IG and Viz, so you'll typically always get 2 to 3 new series always going on.

No, all of us don't have some form of DVR, and even for those of us who have DVD recorders and/or VCRs as an alternative, one has to go through the hassle of recording every week. Also, Gundam Seed was broadcast on Cartoon Network, not Adult Swim. As for your Sci-Fi complaints, they don't mean a thing to me, since I don't get HD broadcasts to begin with. It all looks the same at standard definition.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention the satisfaction of watching it live and talking about it with your friends afterward. That's harder to do with watching DVR recordings days later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3