• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual Ships 100,000+ Geass R2 #1 Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Totally agree with this. We still haven't gotten vol. 1 and 2 without flaws yet.

My Volume 1 worked perfectly. What kind of problem(s) did you have with your Volume 1, if you do not mind me asking? It is my Volume 2 that has the problems. I sent out my disk to Bandai Entertainment and hope for a speedy return.

I wonder when the R1 market will start distributing Blu-ray anime.

No problems whatsoever. I'm on the glitch free LE waiting list for when that version gets shipped so I don't have to deal with the recall yet.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Me wants mah Blu-ray.

The Japanese companies should just lower their prices, then they wouldn't have to fear reverse importation. They'd probably get more sales in Japan itself with a lower price point, too.

Last edited by Josh7289 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
shipped means nothing. what were the actual sales numbers?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

Pizza Hut, dude! Pizza Hut! Pizza Hut is a world-wide powerful franchise. It's as big in Japan as it is in America. So you can bet your ass that with a massive sponsor like Pizza Hut, the show would have one hell of a budget...

It's effective-as-hell advertising too. Seeing C.C. mooch off of Lelouch's credit card to munch on some pizza, well... Let's just say eventually I gave in. Anime hyper Started eating Pizza Hut again after 4 years! 4 years!

Except in the US release the logo is blurred out every single time, and when the voice actors pointed it out in the commentary the word kept getting bleeped out!
Oh and I was another person who got a bad disc one, and I got the two volume set, maybe I got one of the first ones.

Anyway, that's still a lot to sell, the Japanese fans must have deep pockets.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Ratings aren't equal to DVD sales.

It's too early to speak of sales since the release is so recent, but it's apparently doing very well on Japan's Amazon.com lists.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/dvd/12923111/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_d_1_3_last

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/dvd/16378461/ref=pd_ts_d_nav

I'm more or less guessing, but the first link should be anime DVDs and the second one is for Blurays.

MagicallyDelicious wrote:

I thought that R2 was moved to a "better" timeslot in the middle of the day instead of like 1 AM? Wouldn't that mean more people are seeing it?

Yes but considering it's a "new" time slot (Sunday at 5PM) for anime that hadn't been used for many years (as opposed to Saturday at 6PM which was the traditional slot, last used for Gundam 00's first season), it's only "better" in technical terms.

And actually, R2 is not getting "worse" ratings than season one, but it is obviously not getting the ratings that the broadcasters expected in this new time slot. They should be very disappoined, but Gundam 00's sequel is going to replace R2 after it finishes, so we'll see how things go for it there. It should do better, it's Gundam after all, but how much? Time will tell.

Sunrise will probably be happy with R2 if DVD / Bluray sales are good enough though.

Last edited by nightjuan on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
MagicallyDelicious wrote:

I thought that R2 was moved to a "better" timeslot in the middle of the day instead of like 1 AM? Wouldn't that mean more people are seeing it?

The timeslot might have been "better" but due to the nature of the story that is Code Geass it hurt the series. Infact, the head of production stated they had to scrap the entire storyline and change it due to the timeslot move. A lot of the more in depth fans are wondering how the series would have turned out if it was able to keep its 1am time slot.

Last edited by Bisuketto on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:

The timeslot might have been "better" but due to the nature of the story that is Code Geass it hurt the series. Infact, the head of production stated they had to scrap the entire storyline and change it due to the timeslot move. A lot of the more in depth fans are wondering how the series would have turned out if it was able to keep it's 1am time slot.

Right, though he didn't actually say that they scrapped the "entire storyline", but their original plans for the second season had to be changed. One could argue that this was reflected in the show's first half, while the second one could be closer to what the staff planned. Not going to mention any spoilers though.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I believe that the rather small price difference between the Blu-ray edition and the standard edition is one of the big factors why both this series and Macross F have sold so well in Japan. They are really trying to promote the new format and most of the box sets are the same price or in a couple cases cheaper than the original release.

Here in the States Blu-ray editions are still a good 50-100% more expensive. Fortunately many online retailers do have much better prices.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Not bad. Perhaps a lot of people are wanting their Pizza Huts Wink
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I believe that the rather small price difference between the Blu-ray edition and the standard edition is one of the big factors why both this series and Macross F have sold so well in Japan. They are really trying to promote the new format and most of the box sets are the same price or in a couple cases cheaper than the original release.

Here in the States Blu-ray editions are still a good 50-100% more expensive. Fortunately many online retailers do have much better prices.

If they priced the blu-rays at 100% more expensive than the DVDs than they'd be charging more than $100 for a single 30 minute episode.
Not even Japanese consumers are _that_ crazy.

Remember, Japanese price things based more on the content than the format. The blu-rays and DVDs are for different consumer markets, they aren't really considering one competing against another.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Remember, Japanese price things based more on the content than the format.

Having bought anime on various formats since the 80s I am painfully aware of this fact. I remember that often the Laser Disc editions were cheaper than the VHS editions. You do have a good point that there is less of a headroom in Japan to charge more for the Blu-ray editions than the non HD editions. I really just wish that the US market would also charge the same for standard DVDs and Blu-ray which would help the market shift to HD instead of considering HD a premium. It really irks me that Blu-ray DVDs in the States cost so much more than the standard definition editions.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
No problems whatsoever. I'm on the glitch free LE waiting list for when that version gets shipped so I don't have to deal with the recall yet.

For me, I could not wait since I was hyped up about the series. I sent out my second disk to Bandai Entertainment and am waiting for, hopefully, an error-free disk.

Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
So apparently you only bought the overpriced single Vol. 1 instead of the nifty 2-pack bundle? =____= Epic effing fail.....

And for the sake of keeping information running...it's Vol. 2 that's fragged the most.

I bought this, though not at that price. I read around a few sites and saw the disk error problem. I decided to take a risk and the second disk, according to all the sites, had the errors. Bandai Entertainment contacted me back within 48 hours and a replacement disk is on the way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2