• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do mispronunciations in dubs bother you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnkelDittmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

For me, the chief problem with U.S. dubs is that the American style of VA work is, for lack of a better word, "hammy". To my ears, American dubs sound horribly over-acted. I know it's merely a different theatrical tradition, but it just grates on my ears.

Same here, I totally agree to that point since im no native speaker either. Thats why I just watch english dub if theres no sub available to me.

Older german dubs made the mistake to pronounce almost every vowel, which isnt a big deal if you dont know better but at least most new dub are made quiet well. Therefore I even prefer watching those since i dont have to read that much :p
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
OnkelDittmeyer wrote:
Older german dubs made the mistake to pronounce almost every vowel, which isnt a big deal if you don't know better but at least most new dub are made quiet well. Therefore I even prefer watching those since i don't have to read that much :p

The only German dub I've seen was Pretty Cure, and it seemed fairly competent, in terms of translation and pronunciation of names. However... I've listened to a lot of German dubs of live-action films and series, and if there is one thing that has always struck me, it is that the production values on sound quality are consistently low for all German dubs, of whatever nature. I have no idea why this is so, but it is. For as long as I can remember, German dubs have been tinny-sounding, with the foleyed background sounds being miserable-to-nonexistent.

I've always wondered why Germans put up with that. Even to a child, the quality gap is obvious, and this is something that goes on in adult-audience dubs, too.

I remember watching a dubbed version of a Western starring John Wayne, and the Duke telling people "Hände hoch!" in a tinny, echoing voice that sounded like somebody with his head in a bucket.

Possibly, the reason is to be found in the fact that, unlike Danish TV (which has always shown foreign-language films and series subtitled), German TV has had dubs as standard. Maybe the sheer volume of material needing dubbing has kept the quality low?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
For me, the chief problem with U.S. dubs is that the American style of VA work is, for lack of a better word, "hammy". To my ears, American dubs sound horribly over-acted. I know it's merely a different theatrical tradition, but it just grates on my ears.

That's somewhat interesting to me, because one of the main issues I still have with Japanese acting in many cases is that I feel like it's perpetually over-the-top. I've seen many shows where it seems as though the Japanese actors are slathering massive amounts of drama and emoting over almost every line, to the point where it becomes a genuine irritation. I've heard a lot of (unfounded) criticism for English actors "not getting into" their roles, which has made me suspect that many people prefer that more hammy method, but my tastes definitely lean toward more low-key performances. I guess it's a function of coming at the audio from different backgrounds that we've arrived at opposite conclusions. Razz

To answer the original question, I don't usually have a problem unless it's something completely blatant and inexcusable; for instance, the widespread incorrect accenting on Haruka's name in Noein didn't bother me in the least. In the case of Eureka 7, I'm actually very glad that the dub followed the Japanese pronunciation, even if it was a little shaky and inconsistent; hearing the main character referred to as "Yoo-REE-kuh" would have just been absurd. (To this day, I still feel like the ads for that one Sci-Fi series are pronouncing it wrong, despite the fact that they're not.) To be honest, what amuses and/or irks me much more is the widespread use of Engrish in Japanese dubs, especially since, as a few other people have noted, there seems to be a big double-standard going on in the fandom where Japanese actors are excused yet English actors are railed on.
OnkelDittmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
...since i am not interested that much in older live-movies a can only agree by remembering the whole bud spencer movies i watched, they re terrible indeed ^^

But I dont think thats the case anymore. Im watching Samurai Champloo atm and its very well dubbed i.e. the german voice of Johnny Depp speaking the role of Mugen. Theres a huge number of excellent german voices nower days. The most "popular" issue is the lack of effort some studios are willing to spend, thats unfortunately true. Backgroundsounds, laughter, groaning etc often are just adopted from the original version or even worse from the french, which is uses to translate into german-tv-format quite often.

After all i think its also a question of being unfamiliar to a language, even if youre able to speak it, it probably will always sound kind of strange to you since it isnt your native one.
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
The only German dub I've seen was Pretty Cure, and it seemed fairly competent, in terms of translation and pronunciation of names. However... I've listened to a lot of German dubs of live-action films and series, and if there is one thing that has always struck me, it is that the production values on sound quality are consistently low for all German dubs, of whatever nature. I have no idea why this is so, but it is. For as long as I can remember, German dubs have been tinny-sounding, with the foleyed background sounds being miserable-to-nonexistent.

I've always wondered why Germans put up with that. Even to a child, the quality gap is obvious, and this is something that goes on in adult-audience dubs, too.

I remember watching a dubbed version of a Western starring John Wayne, and the Duke telling people "Hände hoch!" in a tinny, echoing voice that sounded like somebody with his head in a bucket.

Possibly, the reason is to be found in the fact that, unlike Danish TV (which has always shown foreign-language films and series subtitled), German TV has had dubs as standard. Maybe the sheer volume of material needing dubbing has kept the quality low?

- abunai

That comment sure made me thing. Of course, I don't know a lot about voice acting and background music/sounds. In fact, most of the time, I barely pay attention to them.
It has struck me with some movies that the German dub was really, really, bad. I'm talking about Donnie Darko here, which would be the most recent example.
However, I can't say that I recognize (or perceive) a quality gap in terms of VAs and background music - and I can't say any of my friends do. Probably it's because I'm (Or: We are) simply used to it. It's like with bad translations - if you don't know anything else, you just can't know any better.
It happens very rarely that I watch a movie in two languages, NGE and Donnie Darko being the only examples I can actually come up with, so I don't even compare - that's as far as I come with answering your question. I hope it was not too weirdly constructed.

Edit: I actually forgot to say something which is not rather off-topic.
The only mispronounciation that bothered me was how the childhood friend of the Afro Samurai pronounced his name in a Japanese way, so with an r/l sound, while the whole rest of the cast was speaking English perfectly. That was really dumb.

Quote:
But I don't think thats the case anymore. Im watching Samurai Champloo atm and its very well dubbed i.e. the german voice of Johnny Depp speaking the role of Mugen. Theres a huge number of excellent german voices nower days. The most "popular" issue is the lack of effort some studios are willing to spend, thats unfortunately true. Backgroundsounds, laughter, groaning etc often are just adopted from the original version or even worse from the french, which is uses to translate into german-tv-format quite often.

After all i think its also a question of being unfamiliar to a language, even if youre able to speak it, it probably will always sound kind of strange to you since it isnt your native one.

I haven't heard the Samurai Champloo dub, but I can say the Last Exile dub and the Ergo Proxy dub could be better. Last Exile uses somehow great, but unfitting VAs for Klaus and Lafie, and Ergo Proxy used a female voice for Daedalus.
Anyway, I love the Escaflowne dub, the Cowboy Bebop dub, the Hellsing dub, and although the Eureka 7 dub certainly could be better, I totally love it.
This brings me to my next point: For me, my native language is always closer to my heart (English comes next, though Wink ). I can forgive a "bad" dub simply because it's in my native language. So I would say it's vice-versa: Foreign languages don't sound strange, but your native language sounds closer to yourself.
It might run down to the same thing, but I feel there's a difference.

Last edited by Labbes on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching witchblade and wondering if masane was saying rihoko's name incorrectly or just using a nickname. I still don't have that one figured out.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Of course, I don't know a lot about voice acting and background music/sounds. In fact, most of the time, I barely pay attention to them.
{...}
However, I can't say that I recognize (or perceive) a quality gap in terms of VAs and background music - and I can't say any of my friends do. Probably it's because I'm (Or: We are) simply used to it. It's like with bad translations - if you don't know anything else, you just can't know any better.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, so let me put it a different way. My problem with German dubs is not with the VA work, which is fine for a dub, but with the quality of the sound production. Also, when I speak of "foleyed background sounds", I wasn't referring to the music in any way. "Foleying" is the technique of recording believable background noises to match what the viewer sees, even if those noises weren't there in the original recording (either because the theatrical style demands an exaggerated version of reality, as is usually the case with gunshots; or because the original ambient noise at the time of recording prevented effective background noise recording; or because it's an animation sequence without natural noise to begin with). A foley artist "creates" sound to match what is being shown on-screen.

It is this precise lack which is most evident in bad dubs in general (and in German dubs, I'm sorry to say) -- a lack of believable background ambient noise. The VAs' voices, recorded in a studio, is more or less all you hear, and the effect is very unconvincing.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
abunai wrote:

That's somewhat interesting to me, because one of the main issues I still have with Japanese acting in many cases is that I feel like it's perpetually over-the-top...

I'm in complete agreement, and I think sub purists take on the role of apologists for Japanese acting to insane levels. Honestly, as many know one of my favorite series is Eureka Seven, and I honestly found the Japanese voice acting was way waaaaaay overacted in that series, especially as the series progressed. I don't think the American VA's underact as much as people claim, and I honestly question sometimes if people aren't basing all this off of the dubs they saw 5 to 10 years ago, as opposed to what's out there today. Dubbing has come a long ways, and this from someone who used to not even entertain the notion of watching a dub. Anyways, this is getting a tad off topic since this is about pronunciations, and I'd rather the thread not become a blanket dub/sub debate.

I agree with Top Gun also about Eureka's pronunciation in E7. Honestly, having her name pronounced in the normal english way would have sounded awful. Renton calling her name would have sounded almost comical, as if he was coming to some great revelation rather than just calling out for the girl he loved. Names have always bent the rules of pronunciation, so seeing it bent for her character is not a problem for me as it works best that way.

Top Gun wrote:
To be honest, what amuses and/or irks me much more is the widespread use of Engrish in Japanese dubs, especially since, as a few other people have noted, there seems to be a big double-standard going on in the fandom where Japanese actors are excused yet English actors are railed on.

This will unfortunately always be the case. As long as there are purists, for one reason or another, this behavior will continue. It happens with just about any subject matter really, bias is always a larger issue than anyone cares to admit. It's the same deal with adaptations, where any anime based on a story/product from another culture/medium is praised, but when the road goes the other way people are immediately up in arms over it without any more knowledge about it other than its proposed existence. After awhile you just accept this is how some people think and take what's said with a grain of salt.
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, so let me put it a different way. My problem with German dubs is not with the VA work, which is fine for a dub, but with the quality of the sound production. Also, when I speak of "foleyed background sounds", I wasn't referring to the music in any way. "Foleying" is the technique of recording believable background noises to match what the viewer sees, even if those noises weren't there in the original recording (either because the theatrical style demands an exaggerated version of reality, as is usually the case with gunshots; or because the original ambient noise at the time of recording prevented effective background noise recording; or because it's an animation sequence without natural noise to begin with). A foley artist "creates" sound to match what is being shown on-screen.

It is this precise lack which is most evident in bad dubs in general (and in German dubs, I'm sorry to say) -- a lack of believable background ambient noise. The VAs' voices, recorded in a studio, is more or less all you hear, and the effect is very unconvincing.

- abunai

Ah, ok, I nearly completely misunderstood you, sorry for that.
As I already said, I don't really pay attention to background sound and don't watch movies in two languages, so I can't really say anything on that. I can't even come up with an example where I thought the sounds sounded weird, although I feel it's the case sometimes.
When I'm watching some movies tomorrow or so, I will pay some attention to that, you really made me curious Smile
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'm in complete agreement, and I think sub purists take on the role of apologists for Japanese acting to insane levels.

Allowing myself to take this personally for a moment, I would like to say that that is a misrepresentation of my stated opinions, at least. I have never actually mentioned my opinion of the Japanese voice acting style -- which, in fact, I find occasionally annoying. However, it does have the advantage of being part of the original production. It is significantly easier to add voice and background to an animation sequence in the original, so the production values of the sound and voice acting tend to be much higher.

But as for the acting style itself... it varies a lot. There are good dubs and bad dubs in the original Japanese, too -- and there are good and bad seiyuu. For instance, in the recent ef - a tale of memories, some of the voice acting was irritating, to put it mildly.

Keonyn wrote:
Honestly, as many know one of my favorite series is Eureka Seven, and I honestly found the Japanese voice acting was way waaaaaay overacted in that series, especially as the series progressed. I don't think the American VA's underact as much as people claim, and I honestly question sometimes if people aren't basing all this off of the dubs they saw 5 to 10 years ago, as opposed to what's out there today.

I don't think the American VAs "under-act". If anything, it's the opposite, hence my use of the expression "hammy". A "ham", you know, is an actor who over-acts or exaggerates inappropriately. At the same time, I do realize that this is part of an American voice acting tradition, and may be less irritating to an American audience. I usually chalk it up to cultural differences rather than bad acting, and simply avoid U.S. dubs.

- abunai
OnkelDittmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally i got what you really meant, sry for that, but i have to admit, i never noticed it before in such a harsh way. As you already mentioned it before, its probably a question of being used to it.

I will have an eye/ear on that for next shows im watching, thanks for opening my mind to that issue Very Happy
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I've got to be honest. Mispronunciations in dub's don't really bother me at all but that's because I wouldn't know if they were pronounced right in the first place. Embarassed

But I can see how some people would find it annoying, especially if it's a simple word or name that they just got wrong... but it's only human error at the end of the day, we all make mistakes.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Like Killtheshrew, I'd probably never know that Japanese words were being mispronounced, as I don't speak the language.
However, it does annoy me in dubs and other programmes when Americans "mis"pronounce English words... Words like route, aluminium, vase, zebra... Especially "zee" for "zed."
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Most of the time, mispronounciation doesn't bother me. But there are exceptions. Japanese names and words that are common enough that there's really no excuse to mispronounce them. For example: sa-KUR-a for Sakura. BYE-shounen for bishounen.

Another time I'm bothered by mispronounciation is when the English voice cast pronounces a character's name differently from one actor to another. Is it too much to expect one consistent name pronounciation by the entire cast?
Askman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Usually they don't, but sometimes they do, especially if the mistake is constant.

For example, my biggest beef was with Noein. Throughout the entire dub they kept mispronouncing Haruka's name over and over. It drove me crazy. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7