• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haruka Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARl0

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I was speaking directly to their rep after the premiere of HaruToki at Sakura-Con. I had asked about the inconsistencies with the honorifics, and someone else asked about the dub, and she said it was for the same reason.

I wasn't doubting your information, I was doubting that Bandai Visual's excuse is the truth. I just don't buy it. I honestly think they'll say anything to excuse their shoddy policies regarding anime.
Blue Sonnet

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
...Who knows, maybe I'd prefer it to FY, given my hatred of Miaka. Unless the lead in this series manages to be worse...

One guess...

Although less cheery-chirpy inane grinning, but still the same falling-over-tree-roots-whilst-running-esque behaviour, more moping, and a seriously facepalming/throw stuff at the screen choice of man at the end...

I know some people love this series, and I have given it a full shot - I've watched the entire thing plus two OVA's, but I just don't like it, and I don't think you will either from what you've said. I personally feel like there isn't the charm or humour of FY, again just my opinion so please take it as such if anyone doesn't agree.

I honestly think that if you loved FY and hated Miaka (me too! I'm guessing you're a Hotohori fan? Most of the Miaka Must Die Faction are) you will really enjoy Genbu Kaiden.

The beautiful artwork is almost the same, but refined, and you can really tell that Watase has matured in the last ten years. The lead can hold her own in a fight and doesn't grin/SD every three panels, the blokes are still easy on the eyes but not willing to follow the priestess around like puppies, and everything isn't all sunshine and roses.

Theres also a HUGE questionmark over spoiler[the happy ending (as in there probably won't be one, but at least Genbu won't need to eat for a while)] Not much of a spoiler if you've read FY, but put tags in just in case!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
But the price, it's a joke, I paid $29.99 for the full boxed set of Super GALS! Season 2 from RightStuf, 26 Episodes (First Week of it actually coming out, first edition), allow 2 Episodes!

I ordered my Super Gals Season 2 early enough, I'm one of those names listed on the dvd of pre-orderers.

And I've watched 2 of the dvds. I didn't like the first season. (having fun is more important than doing well in school? We need to teach our daughters this lesson? Don't think so) My teen loved it when she was 11 or 12 & asked me to pre-order this cra--sorry, annoying package of fluff with a lead I'd love tro ground for her entire school life.

If you're looking for originality in anime, you might as well give up the hobby now. Sorry. I can't remember the last original anime I watched. Of course I argue it's been awhile since I saw a movie out of Hollywood that fit that bill also. It's all just how to repackage the same-old, same old.

You missed Saint Seiya
Oops. That pre-dates everyone's precious Fushigi Yugi, doesn't it?
Or Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs.
Oh, right. Not even Japanese.
From Wiki-
Quote:
Kintarō is supposedly based on a real man, named Sakata no Kintoki, who lived during the Heian period and probably came from what is now the city of Minami-ashigara. He served as a retainer for the samurai Minamoto no Yorimitsu and became well known for his abilities as a warrior. As with many larger-than-life individuals, his legend has grown with time.

Quote:
Minamoto no Yorimitsu (944-1021), also known as Minamoto no Raikō, served the regents of the Fujiwara clan along with his brother Yorinobu, taking the violent measures the Fujiwara were themselves unable to take. He is one of the earliest Minamoto of historical note for his military exploits, and is known for quelling the bandits of Ōeyama.

So we have an anime based loosely on folklore. Minamoto no Yorimitsu is voiced by Shinichiro Miki in Haruka. The stories are associated with a time in Japanese history where "demons" (bandits/foreigners. Genju no Seiza mentions one theory is the demons were Europeans since their appearance differed from the people of the area) attacked the capital & were repelled by these defenders. I seem to recall countless movies & tv shows about Daniel Boone, Jim Bowie, etc., which are likely more fantasy than reality made in the US. Japan can't do the same with their folk heroes? It's aimed at gals. Guys can have dozens of fan service titles & gals can't?

I found it interesting to see a piece of the other side, unlike Fushigi Yugi where Hotohori's country was good & the opposing country was evil. Whether they change it in future eps, I found it interesting the citizens of the Capital aren't being painted as innocent or perfect. Akram's people have been shunned for being different. Racism rearing its ugly head.

As for Akram's seduction, I do agree more with Ayane Yamano who commented on the "A Foreign Love Affair" drama cd "One of my favorite characters, Gondoh, was played by Okiayu-san, whose very voice is like a pheromone." The man sounds nice.

Admittedly fans of Fushigi Yugi who have listened to the Japanese track may wax nostalgic, what with a cast including Tomokazu Seki (Tenma. Chichiri/Fushigi Yugi. Van/Escaflowne, for that matter); Shinichiro Miki (Minamoto-no-Yorihisa. Keisuke Yuuki/Fushigi Yugi) & Tomoko Kawakami (Akane. Chiriko/Fushigi Yugi). Most of the rest of the male lead cast are shojo harem title regulars. Akira Ishida is the onmyoji. Younger pal Shimon is Kouki Miyata who's done his share of BL titles.

I was impressed we're moving quicker than the manga on intros for the boys. As I said, it's interesting the demons have been given a small excuse for their behavior. Yeah, it also appears they may have come as invaders, but they still have not been accepted by the residents of the capital. It's also interesting to see the palace staff question Shimon resembling the demons-usually it seems all it takes for the support cast to accept such a character is the work of the trusted leading character (Princess Fuji in this case. Ikue Ohtani.)
Elisian

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Harukanaru still rocks my world!
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Blue Sonnet wrote:

I honestly think that if you loved FY and hated Miaka (me too! I'm guessing you're a Hotohori fan? Most of the Miaka Must Die Faction are) you will really enjoy Genbu Kaiden.

Actually no. I didn't love FY, although I found it fairly enjoyable in my early years of fandom. And I didn't particularly like any of the characters except for Nuriko. The story and setting was cool, which is why I was able to enjoy it without really liking it all that well. That's a particularly interesting feat, as I generally could care less about the story, I just want likable characters.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Blue Sonnet wrote:

One guess...

Although less cheery-chirpy inane grinning, but still the same falling-over-tree-roots-whilst-running-esque behaviour, more moping, and a seriously facepalming/throw stuff at the screen choice of man at the end...

I know some people love this series, and I have given it a full shot - I've watched the entire thing plus two OVA's, but I just don't like it, and I don't think you will either from what you've said. I personally feel like there isn't the charm or humour of FY, again just my opinion so please take it as such if anyone doesn't agree.

The beautiful artwork is almost the same, but refined, and you can really tell that Watase has matured in the last ten years. The lead can hold her own in a fight and doesn't grin/SD every three panels, the blokes are still easy on the eyes but not willing to follow the priestess around like puppies, and everything isn't all sunshine and roses.

Theres also a HUGE questionmark over spoiler[the happy ending (as in there probably won't be one, but at least Genbu won't need to eat for a while)] Not much of a spoiler if you've read FY, but put tags in just in case!

I haven't noticed too much tripping over tree-roots so far in the Shojo Beat chapters running of the manga nor in the first 2 eps of the anime. So far in the anime she's trying to get her footing having been dumped in a strange place.
I like Hotohori because it's my fav VA. I like FY for the pretty boys(& their VAs), but the plot sucks. I can't help think "Neverending Story" every time I watch any of it.
Except "Neverending Story" is a better tale.
THis one gives one a taste of history inside of the fiction which I always find interesting. Like Samurai Deeper Kyo, it takes a couple real historical figures & mixes them in with fictional characters & real & fictional events.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2