• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Older series in deserve of a reboot/retelling.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
On a side note, how about getting that volume 15 review up, Key?

Actually, thanks for mentioning this because I had totally missed that it was already out. Whether I do this one or not will depend quite a bit on how fast I catch up with the backlog of DVD reviews caused by the Fall Preview Guide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
Seconding the recommendation for rebooting Basara. So, so hard.

Also, if Miyazaki could somehow make an epic, high-budget adaption of all of his Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga, that could potentially be like the best anime ever. It'll probably never happen, but still!
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
I would love to see Silent Mobius and Martian Successor Nadesico get the reboot treatment. I agree with others who said more Berserk, a faithful adaptation of Akira and I would give my pinky toe for a proper Battle Angel Alita series.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:

A new version of Kare Kano would be nice, but only if it covered the first ten or so volumes of the manga. I didn't really care for the direction the series went after that.

I'd second a Kare Kano redo, done in a more relaxed manner, emulating the style of Honey and Clover and Kimi no Todoke more than the Gainax treatment.
But whether you like it or not, I think the second half is essential for a good adaptation. It would end up being at least a two season story in this telling though. 26 to tell Yukino's story, 13 for the side characters, 13 for Arima. Yet, even saying that I'd think knowing the entire story from the beginning would enable the adaptation to better integrate the story, they can introduce second half characters earlier to better foreshadow that darker part, give clues earlier that Arima is troubled other than the really vague stuff they did in the original anime and even in the books.
You have to admit a part of the problem with the original series was that Gainax was very reluctant to admit the series was mainly a romantic drama (with funny parts) and so they tried to make a romantic comedy (with dramatic parts).

How about a reboot, without a retelling, of Outlaw Star? The team is already together. Maybe stripped down to it's core of Gene, Mel, and Jim, with Aisha and Suzuka off doing their own thing, at least in the beginning. They have to gather a crew again to start a new adventure. As I understand the OS manga was left incomplete so they could be free to make their own story again. I get the feeling that's a series that has fallen out of favor and largely forgotten by the Japanese though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
Just watched the Battle Angel OAV. Much appreciated, ikillchicken, Generic #757858 & Key. It certainly left me wanting more. In the manga, do they ever get to Zalem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Just watched the Battle Angel OAV. Much appreciated, ikillchicken, Generic #757858 & Key. It certainly left me wanting more. In the manga, do they ever get to Zalem?

Nope, that's how it plays out in the manga too. The OVA is a pretty straightforward (though rushed) adaptation of the first two volumes of the manga.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
You edited your post! Wink
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
You have to admit a part of the problem with the original series was that Gainax was very reluctant to admit the series was mainly a romantic drama (with funny parts) and so they tried to make a romantic comedy (with dramatic parts).

To each their own. I actually prefer the Gainax adaptation and pretty much the only problems I had with it where the constant recaps and the disappointing nonending, so a new but complete (enough) version done in the same style would be great.

errinundra wrote:
You edited your post! Wink

Sorry, didn't want spoil things too much for you.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

To each their own. I actually prefer the Gainax adaptation and pretty much the only problems I had with it where the constant recaps and the disappointing nonending, so a new but complete (enough) version done in the same style would be great.

I absolutely loved most of it myself but I feel it simply couldn't have maintained the story in that vein, therefore it was a problem. If it were remade and planned from beginning to end then it could have a more consistent tone. I believe their reliance on comedy was also Tsuda's main complaint and why she was so resistant to continuing the adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Speaking of great little OVAs that need a full adaptation of the manga: Please Save My Earth. What a hackjob ending. I still love the OVA, but damn do I want more.

But man, even with that rushed ending, it's still at least good enough to tell me I had to track down the manga! But man does this ever need a full on series. I mean, ever since Toward the Terra got one, I've actually been hopeful of older shojo getting the treatment and boy does this ever need one. At least the manga goes on further from the OVA and one of the only major things the OVA really cut out was Issei's crazy little sister. But man, it was barely getting started! We didn't get to finish Shion's backstory and we never even got to Mokuren! Mokuren's backstory was what made me fall in love with her! But yeah, this is definitely at the top of my list.

Hmm, who else...well there's always Fruits Basket, that seems a classic that everyone still uses to get people into anime. I've never seen the anime, but dude, I heard it ends at volume 8? The real story has barely begun! Having read the manga, I can't imagine it progressing any other way to be honest.

Oh man, that's who else! Sanctuary! A 9 volume (well 9 US volumes, I think it was 12 Japanese) combination yakuza/political epic that got a stupidly short movie or something. This one needs a serious reboot for sure.

Lament of the Lamb also only got like 4 eps for a 7 volume series. Just don't see that working. Part of the manga that I liked was the extreme sense of loneliness that I can't imagine existing in a 4 ep OVA. And considering that the relationship between the siblings evolves so much, length could be used.

Mushi-shi, while not really needing a reboot, still has 5 freakin' volumes it could animate! Ok, so not a reboot, I just want more eps and most everyone who has seen the show is surely with me on this.

Petshop of Horrors could probably benefit from a full on series. The four eps they did were pretty good and the atmosphere possible with animation could make it damn creepy.

Twin Spica, of course, knew I was forgetting something. The anime was enough to make me know to just buy the manga when Vertial put on that superhero cape again by licensing it. The manga is everything that the anime is but better. Oh and it's way way longer, I think I noticed lack of material that was in the anime around volume 6, and this is a 16 volume series! Also, the manga is set up a bit odd in the start, with chapters going between present and past, I don't recall the anime doing that as well.

Twelve Kingdoms could sure use one. Seems Fuyumi Ono is pretty popular right now with Shiki, but for me this series was far superior. And unfortunately for Americans, Tokyopop only brought over the novels that were animated! The series also started off a bit shaky but while the second and third arcs were great, the fourth was kinda...cut short. so I guess other than second and third, maybe first arc too, fourth needs a reboot and the entire series just needs to be started up again, even if the novels still don't answer anything about Taiki because they seem to be on permanent hiatus. Actually, didn't Kino's Journey not animate all of the novels too? Continuation for that too!

Odds are though, that Elfen Lied would need one from the beginning. I enjoyed Elfen Lied, but I'm also fully aware that they only adapted like half of the manga at best, so there was definitely more story there to tell, though they did end it nicely for what they had to work with.

Of course, this has nothing to do with my "list of manga I wish they'd turn into anime just once in the first place", which includes Banana Fish, NG Life, Parasyte, ES: Eternal Sabbath, Battle Royale, Ooku (well any Yoshinaga), and other stuff I probably can't even remember right now, point is, I want them animated to share their amazing with other people!
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
But man does this ever need a full on series.
ditto ditto

Am I the only person who doesn't mind the ending of the OVA?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Let's see:

-Angel Sanctuary- Would be nice to see how a TV show adaptation of the manga would be pulled off considering the manga was trying to go for tragic and epic developments concerning Setsuna/ Alexiel and his conflict with the Angels, as well as the former's spoiler[incestuous feelings for his sister coming off elements of his past self as a fallen Angel.] A bit disappointing that the only animated adaptation of this series is a tease to drive folks into buying the manga.
-Kare Kano- A series that abruptly ended while in the middle of a major plot arc due to catching up with its manga source material. Would dig seeing the later developments of the series in an animated format while toning down on the comedy which Gainax delivered in a manic style.
-Fruits Basket- The biggest title I would like to see get a reboot for. The anime series directed by Akitaro Daichi left out some major elements of background for the characters, altered the events of some key scenes from the manga and left out character traits with some characters that serve to get them some additional depth or hint to darker elements to come within the series.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
gunna have to wait. The number 3 anime in the world ain't dying anytime soon. Or is it 4 idk.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Odds are though, that Elfen Lied would need one from the beginning. I enjoyed Elfen Lied, but I'm also fully aware that they only adapted like half of the manga at best, so there was definitely more story there to tell, though they did end it nicely for what they had to work with.

I don't remember the anime cutting much out, especially not much of significance. The changes it made to characterization and events were necessary to present Lucy in a light that makes her not the evilest monster in the series. Yeah, it drops one character entirely, but the only thing she added to the show was fetish bait. Also, the second half of the manga gets stupid, and the ending comes kind of out of nowhere. spoiler[Specifically, when Lucy melts into a pile of goo to prevent herself from destroying the world, or something like that.]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
spoiler[Specifically, when Lucy melts into a pile of goo to prevent herself from destroying the world, or something like that.]

That bit had more to do with the fact spoiler[Lucy was straining her powers far more than her body could handle which was causing her body to burn itself out. Even if Kouta didn't off her, Lucy still would have died from her body completely deteriorating on her.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5