• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shigofumi ~Stories of the Last Letter~.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time and Space

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Hurray! Someone else also finds this anime entertaining so far. I was beginning to think myself stupid, what with the apparent consensus on this anime being that it is predictable. Something that escaped me. Sure, we knew the letter was to do with the author's daughter, but we couldn't know in what way, or where the story would go after he read it. Hence the shocking twist. Criticising it as predictable then is a bit harsh. (unless I'm just an idiot)

I liked it alot. An alluring darkness, an interesting premise. Characters seem entertaining so far. And an exciting twist, preceded by a tense, or atleast attractive story.
Yes, I very much look forward to the next episode. (Even after it has been 'spoiled' for me)

[Woo! 100th post. I've just realised that I registered with ANN about three months after Jetz, and she's posted over 1300 replies! I feel inadequate Crying or Very sad ]
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 was done well and I'm definitely in for the rest of this series, a lot of raw watchers are saying 3 is the best in the series so far. As for 2 I did like it, though I had a problem..

spoiler[with the way Asuna was killed, I know the senior detective mentioned that a pure person is more dangerous to his junior and he was obviously thinking about that a lot but I just thought it was a rather weak way to kill her off.]

I know I said I liked the OP on AOD but the more I listen to it the more I keep hearing the Code Geass ED, Noir OP and Rozen Maiden songs. It's a case of like turning into dislike and I really wish they would do something than just make the same song every time.

The ED otoh is one of the better generic anime ending ballad I've heard in a long time, I really enjoy this song and since the ending has flashes of what happened through each ep this will probably be one of the rare anime shows where I watch the ending every time.
Skys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I am so glad I decided to watch this one too. It's surprisingly good, but it's probably cause I wasn't expecting a lot from it either, like BrothersElric.

Same for me. I wasn't expecting much either, but after watching it I have to say I thought it was well made and had some pretty good animation. I have to agree with what HellKorn said earlier,
HellKorn wrote:
Shigofumi isn't terribly surprising or original, but it's still well done for what it is.

I have to say I was a little suprised after watching the first two episodes. They had seemed to do a lot of introduction for Asuna and Shouta, but then she spoiler[killed Shouta] at the end of the first episode. That caught me off guard. So I figured the main focus would switch to Asuna for the following episodes but then she spoiler[got killed as well].

It seems like this story will be moving in a mini-arc fashion, with each new story containing Fumika and Kanaka and then some exclusive roles for that part.

Anyway, I like this anime so far, so I am hoping future episodes will keep my interest like the first two. If episode 3 is supposed to be the best one so far then that's good news.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so after watching episode two, I decided that I like Shigofumi a lot more. I liked the focus on Asuna, as we now learned a little about why spoiler[she killed her father], which made me incredibly depressed and creeped out.

I liked the ending, too, with Fumika delivering the letter to Miku. What Fumika said to Miku was just adorable (for lack of a better term). And I liked the scene spoiler[when the rocket finally took off, though it reminded me of a strange October Sky.]

Westlo wrote:
I know I said I liked the OP on AOD but the more I listen to it the more I keep hearing the Code Geass ED, Noir OP and Rozen Maiden songs.

That's my main problem with a lot of ALI PROJECT's songs. There are an occasional few that I really like, but the rest all sound the same to me. Their style is unique, but it can only go so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I liked the focus on Asuna, as we now learned a little about why spoiler[she killed her father], which made me incredibly depressed and creeped out.

Got that right I tell you what! Shocked Definitely very disturbing......

Anyways, I've been teetering on Very Good and Excellent after that first episode, but after this one I think I'm more comfortable to give it an Excellent. Well see though. It definitely looks like it'll be in story arcs, a la Mononoke.

The only problem I had was closer to the end, when it started getting a little predictable to me. spoiler[I didn't expect she would die or by whom she died at first, but the instant she pulled that knife out it all came clear to me how it'd happen. That and the fact that I already knew she'd send a Shigofumi to her little sister. Despite that though, it actually did in the end turn out to be quite touching. I just can't help but wonder how much more powerful it would have been if it hadn't been so predictable....... ]Eh, I think unpredictability is overrated anyways. Only problem with that though is that when there's unpredictability in the "how" other than the "what," which there doesn't seem to be here.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

The only problem I had was closer to the end, when it started getting a little predictable to me.

Of course spoiler[her death] was predictable as soon as spoiler[she pulled out the knife and began charging towards the rope, in an aggressive manner.] I suspect we were supposed to catch on, anyone would. spoiler[She knew such an action was potentially life-threatening, after all, she was told not to move by an armed policeman, yet she aided Shouta's rocket despite this. The ending was brilliant, nothing 'predictable' undermined the glorious tragedy (or justice?) that followed. This death was supposed to be moving, not necessarily shocking.

As for handing the letter on to her sister, that doesn't bother me, it's really the only other character we've been introduced to who could possibly receive it. I'm doubtful about her role in future episodes, I certainly can't see her dying and handing on a Shigofumi]
BrothersElric wrote:
It definitely looks like it'll be in story arcs

Probably, it would be good if every episode was connected in some way, no matter how small, and maybe see Fumika become more involved in a plot at some point.

Anyway, it's quite excellent, I'm enjoying it more than some of the other anime I'm watching at the moment, and more than the seemingly more popular Spice and Wolf. Hopefully each subsequent story will be as exciting as the last.

Last edited by Time and Space on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Definitely got some Shinigami no Ballad vibes from this. I just saw the first episode, and I'm impressed. Fumika seems to be distant, but she does show some compassion; I find her oddly likable. Kanaka is a bit more irritating than amusing, but I don't mind her. The ending of the first episode had me suprised. I was all set up for a more heartwarming ending but then spoiler[BAM! Asuna kills Shouta. Aww, and I really liked Shouta too. ] I'm definitely excited for episode 2. The ED is pretty nice as well.

And I watched the OP on Youtube...it's catchy but...ALI Project...needs to stop being in everything. It's getting to be an overload. lol I still like it though.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Fumika is kind of boring in that she's too much of an archetype, and the staff is just annoying. The animation is a lot better than I expected. The first two episodes were a nice lead in, though predictable at some points. I liked the third episode better, though I can't pinpoint why. It's somehow more philosophical, and the letter at the beginning of the episode was good.

Funika better turn out to be more intriguing than just cynical-supernatural-aloof-anime-girl. And the staff better shut up.
TheAnimeJudge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Im expecting Shigofumi to be better than that of Shinigami no Ballad
I can see the concept is fundamentally shared, but shigofumi has alot more potential when it comes to storyline though.
I'm at ep 4, its getting really interesting, it's an anime to pitch in on, hope it gets even better
Besides that spoiler[Asuna really scared the shiznits out of me when she went all out murder on Shouta], i just hope they dont continue awkward scenes like that o.O
Aside from that, Fumika's pretty awkward, but overall she's a ncie charecter xD, one of those "To be Old and Eternal Forever" types, got no luv, bcuz ain't think of it... Eh, this is the set back "eyes" of Fumika anyway, everything she sees is directed onto this series
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I'm not necessarily saying that something grotesque like Death Note's Rem should be delivering the letters, but the genre-bending was just too incongruous for my tastes.

OK, I take it back. Having just watched ep 2, I can see now why Fumika has to be spoiler[so different from humans. "It matters not to me whether someone lives or dies" pretty much sums her up, and the incongruity of her appearance is just part of this detachment from the human world.]
Skys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, I feel I can put my worries about this becoming boring aside. I watched episode three a little while ago and I thought it was very well done. They did a good job of introducing the characters quickly but throughly. I liked spoiler[ how they were using video games as a comparison to life throughout the episode. The one scene where that kid playing the game (forgot his name) gets a phone call about his friends death, and then his character dies and a continue screen pops up, I felt was well done]. The thing I like about this show is how it shows the reasons behind a person's death; a thing which is often a mystery to many. It is very interesting to hear each person's tale. Anyway, looking forward to what awaits in episode four.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to post here after I saw episode three.

The show is very well done and I really like it, but there's still something missing that would give it that "wow" factor. I guess it would have to do with the fact that I'm not really getting into the characters; I don't connect or feel bad for any of them. (Though Asuna is an exception and I like Fumika quite a bit.) That must be the toughest part about episodic series like this one.

Episode three did make me think about spoiler[how people really do try to explain things like death in the easiest, simplest ways as possible. People also like to blame others or find a scapegoat, which was brought about when everyone was trying to find a reason or person responsible for Daiki's death.]

And I'll admit that I'm one of those people that wonders what would happen if I just decided to do something for the heck of it. spoiler[At the beginning, the three were discussing what would happen if someone jumped in front of a train and all that.] When I'm sitting in a theater or auditorium, I'm always wondering what would happen if I threw something heavy out in front of me. And I'll even admit that I wonder what it feels like to jump off a tall building. (Seriously, don't worry -- I have no plans on actually doing it!) Shocked

It seems that I'm more interested in the concepts brought up in each episode rather than the characters themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Time and Space

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

It seems that I'm more interested in the concepts brought up in each episode rather than the characters themselves.

Doesn't that imply that the characters are interesting then? The 'concepts' exist because of them. Daiki was interesting because he spoiler[nonchalantly committed suicide], itself an interesting act. But I understand where 'you're coming from', so to speak. We don't really sympathise with the characters as much as we would if they appeared regularly, and as a result, the very theme becomes detatched from the characters. Maybe the series is lacking because of this, but personally, it isn't a problem for me; I find it easy to care about characters, despite learning everything there is to know about them from an existential discussion in the playground.
And actually, even if I don't care about them, the 'concepts' themselves are enough to keep me entertained.
I must say, I've thought about jumping for the hell of it too. I've also thought about collecting apple pips, extracting cyanide from them, then consuming that cyanide along with my favourite drink. Haven't done it yet, but should I ever desire an end to my life, for whatever reason, that's how I'd go.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Time and Space wrote:
Doesn't that imply that the characters are interesting then?

No, because they could easily be exchanged with any other character and it would still have the same effect on me. I just don't really care about them as much as I want to, but that almost makes me feel like I share Fumika's view.

Time and Space wrote:
And actually, even if I don't care about them, the 'concepts' themselves are enough to keep me entertained.

That's what I was saying.

Time and Space wrote:
I've also thought about collecting apple pips, extracting cyanide from them, then consuming that cyanide along with my favourite drink.

That's an... interesting idea. I just hope you don't feel the need to do that ever. Heh, I wonder how many people are going to share what they've ever "thought about doing for the heck of it"? We might just hear some strange things. Laughing
Time and Space

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Time and Space wrote:
Doesn't that imply that the characters are interesting then?

No, because they could easily be exchanged with any other character and it would still have the same effect on me. I just don't really care about them as much as I want to, but that almost makes me feel like I share Fumika's view.

I'm saying there's a difference between caring about a character and whether a character is interesting. It seems for you, either 'interesting' must mean that an individual character can be related to or sympathised with in some way(must be able to care about them), or you belive the 'concept' can be significantly independent of the character. I'm saying a character can be interesting regardless of whether I care about him or not, and your idea of concept allows for an interesting character. For, if a concept is interesting, and it is revealed/apparent because of the particular behaviour of a character, then it is really the character who is interesting because he is inseparable from the concept. Hence, it is wrong to say a character isn't interesting, but something inherent in his character/personality is interesting - that is a contradiction, because his character is what he ultimately is. Also our conception of him is interesting. Daiki may not be the most well rounded of characters and we might not care for him, but he still interests us by his actions. If a concept has its origins in the act of one character, and if removed from that character and placed into another, of course it will have the same effect on us, because the entire personality of a character has changed, one ceases to become interesting whilst the other becomes interesting; while their names may have changed, the essence of what was interesting, the concepts they evoke, hasn't. A person does not have an intrinsic quality of 'interest' that can be unique only to them.

It's not really worth arguing about because whether I'm wrong or not, I still understand your point anyway, as I said in the previous post. (also, I'm attempting brevity at the cost of inventing vague phrases and my points lack the clarity I'd prefer, meh, maybe I misunderstand your original point.)

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Time and Space wrote:

That's what I was saying.

Agreed

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Time and Space wrote:
I've also thought about collecting apple pips, extracting cyanide from them, then consuming that cyanide along with my favourite drink.

That's an... interesting idea. I just hope you don't feel the need to do that ever. Heh, I wonder how many people are going to share what they've ever "thought about doing for the heck of it"? We might just hear some strange things. Laughing

It is a pretty ingenious way of going. I don't know how painful death by cyanide is, but I'd rather that than what seems like a more painful alternative: hanging (embarrassing erection), 'street pizza' (bus gamer quote) - pre-contact would be frightening and cutting wrists=ouch. By all means folks, suggest suicides, you know I win. Twisted Evil Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6