• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yawara! Preview DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
I think the main problem I have is the fact that it doesn't really work as a sports series on account that...

To be fair, your issue with the series would also put you in opposition to Initial D (as far as I know) which follows a similar path and other series. I think the problem is that you're looking at it as a sports anime, when it's really more of a "slice of life" anime that involves an athlete (albeit a reluctant one). In that way, it's more like GTO in that it's not about her getting "better" its about how she changes and how the people around her change by being around her.

Aside from one or two instances, I don't recall the supporting cast of Yawara! changing their personalities much over time, though I didn't watch the entire series. Still, I watched a lot of it then skipped to the OAV which ended it all, so I'm guessing it was largely static. But your assessment is spot-on; while I'm so-so on Yawara!, I positively despise Initial D, which has the same sports anime format as Yawara! and the same failings, with the added detriments of having virtually zero interesting characters.

All good sports anime have a common trait, which is that you don't need to know anything about or even care about the sport being depicted in order to like the show. As one example, I neither know about nor have any interest in boxing, but Hajime no Ippo! aka Fighting Spirit! is absolutely fantastic. The only way anyone could possibly like Initial D would be if they really, really, REALLY liked cars a LOT such that lengthy discussions of technical details and highly detailed drawings of vehicle components excite them.

As far as that's concerned, enjoying Yawara! doesn't require prior knowledge of or an affinity towards the sport of judo. I just don't think that it's as "slice of life" as you claim; recall that from the end of the first episode, they were counting down how much time was remaining until the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. That tells me the primary goal of this show is not to see Yawara get a job or whatever, but to see her advance in the sport, and in my previous post's spoiler text I went into how it doesn't really work for me on this front.

As is the case with most sports anime, like Touch (which was about baseball...AND ROMANCE just like everything else Adachi's ever done), the sport element of Yawara! is certainly not the focus. But it should at least provide a primary source of drive/conflict for the characters. Perhaps I'm coming off as overly negative towards this show which I regard as "just okay" when what I SHOULD be doing is expressing my intense and vehement digust towards Slam Dunk, the DBZ of sports anime when it comes to dragging things out to the point of tedium. Or maybe that's Captain Tsubasa. Say, both Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa are huge among yaoi fandom! Indeed, whether it's doujinshi or the genuine article, the "no climax, no point, no meaning" credo applies to those two regardless!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Andromeda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
From what I can tell, saying Yawara is a "sports anime", is like saying Buffy the Vampire Slayer is about "a girl slaying vampires".

Technically true, and yet still kind of inaccurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
But your assessment is spot-on; while I'm so-so on Yawara!, I positively despise Initial D, which has the same sports anime format as Yawara! and the same failings, with the added detriments of having virtually zero interesting characters.

All good sports anime have a common trait, which is that you don't need to know anything about or even care about the sport being depicted in order to like the show. As one example, I neither know about nor have any interest in boxing, but Hajime no Ippo! aka Fighting Spirit! is absolutely fantastic. The only way anyone could possibly like Initial D would be if they really, really, REALLY liked cars a LOT such that lengthy discussions of technical details and highly detailed drawings of vehicle components excite them.

It's weird, I've enjoyed various sports anime for their depiction of competition and for the characters being shown. Guess it's all about presentation. For example, I love what I saw of Tomorrow's Joe in the compilation movies but know there were some BS techniques involved. Initial D was fun to me more because of the energy put into the races and music as well as the chance to make a little fun of the characters.

The ones I've liked I didn't really care about the technique so I just went along with whatever was explained and if I had enough interest, I'd research and see how much of what was said was truthful. I can't say I actually had that urge after watching Aim For The Ace though... Maybe I'll get that after watching Yawara. Anyone actually have an idea what that's going to be released BTW?
MasaOTOKICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
I wanted to buy DVDBOX but it went too expensive now...

By the way I've been a big fan of YAWARA! and other Urasawa works and he visited my shop by accident. That was a great memory Laughing .I posted the photo of the autograph he gave me in my blog here.
http://masa-takahashi.blogspot.com/2010/01/naoki-urasawa.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2