• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List your personal top five most overated anime (and do you feel the rankings are fair here?)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
@Ggultra2764 i believe Miyazaki is a big time nature lover so i am not surprised that a character serving as the avatar of mother nature -- or least as a figure working on her behalf-- spoiler[could exhibit antisocial behavior towards human beings and still seem justified] --he always does that so I'm not surprised. Didn't see the film but i wonder spoiler[was the flooding done to punish humans for something they did against the sea or something?]

Miyazaki is such a hippie sometimes. If he hadn't done mononoke and cagliostro i don't if i could hold him in such high esteem.
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
@vegetatown

Clannad's first season is the main story. The second is, for all intents
and purposes, an after story in the truest sense of the words. It
shows what happens to the characters after the story concludes.

Don't get me wrong, it's still worth watching and you won't get the
complete experience unless you watch all of it. Really, I prefer the
first season although I still love the second season. Season 1 is
much more focused on moe however.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
@Vegetatown
My reductionism is neither trivial nor inadequate enough to be a sophistry. Do I find something overrated? Yes, but that is only a gut reaction before I try to understand what others find so good about that show and coping with the notion that it could actually be called good without me liking it. I would only use the word "overrated" if the quality of the show is based on wild misinterpretations that I can actually prove.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
vegetatown wrote:
@Ggultra2764 i believe Miyazaki is a big time nature lover so i am not surprised that a character serving as the avatar of mother nature -- or least as a figure working on her behalf-- spoiler[could exhibit antisocial behavior towards human beings and still seem justified] --he always does that so I'm not surprised. Didn't see the film but i wonder spoiler[was the flooding done to punish humans for something they did against the sea or something?]

Miyazaki is such a hippie sometimes. If he hadn't done mononoke and cagliostro i don't if i could hold him in such high esteem.

Ponyo's not a representation of Mother Nature in the film. She's actually a fish who abuses her father's magic to become human after encountering a human boy who saves her life. At one point in the film, spoiler[the huge amount of magic she used to restore her human form after Ponyo's father sealed her away drove to a flooding of the local area in which the human boy lived in.] Her character wasn't really one I could find myself getting attached to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
@ jl
Quote:
Yes, but that is only a gut reaction before I try to understand what others find so good about that show and coping with the notion that it could actually be called good without me liking it

Fair enough, but now we have hit the proverbial wall as I am not sure our view on what is aesthetically "good" is the same. You seem to imply that their is an objective good in art above and beyond the subjective-- perhaps determined through logic as Aristotle did-- I however can not subscribe to that view, as I believe the truth of a work's goodness can only be determined internally for it to be true when you say it (otherwise how could you possiblymean it).

So as to avoid a semantic debate how about I rephrase the question:
what works do you find other people enjoy greatly that you do not? You can be honest. There will be no judgement made against you.
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I feel that pretty much every shonen fighting series is overrated as I
simply cannot enjoy them. There are countless shows that hold
no interest for me or that I dislike but I certainly don't think that they
aren't good or shouldn't be enjoyed by others. Certain shonen
series that I've tried to understand the overwhelming appeal of,
however, have been nothing but shouting and fighting. If you can
even call too people shouting out attacks fighting. I understand that
there are people who enjoy them but for the life of me I can't
understand why. You know which ones I'm talking about; Bleach,
Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, and countless other similar shows.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't think the rankings are fair here. Which is a shame, because a lot of work has gone into making them fair. But when people can vote for titles that haven't even aired yet, or for languages in which the title hasn't even been dubbed to yet, then there will always be discrepancies. Also worth noting is that sequels are usually rated higher because most non-fans left in the previous season(s); I think the encyclopedia should adjust for that as well.

I think limiting the list to five is awfully hard. I could name fifty if I wanted to without too much effort, but, meh. Five it is.

Clannad After Story
I actually liked this show, but it is not the best Anime ever made. Episode twenty-two (I think) ruined much of what came before. I actually thought the first season was better, maybe A-. I would rate this show as a B+. Take it from me, that's impressive, considering how much I hate Moe (especially Cynical Moe such as found here).

ShiKi
I freaking hate this series, and yet all I hear from other people is just how wonderful it is. It isn't. Not only is it a badly paced show with poorly conceived characters and enough plot holes to march an army through, it also tries to hit us with a morality argument that is laughably awful. I mean, it is obvious whom the true villains were, anyone saying that both sides were at fault or were as bad as one another needs to get their humanity license renewed, because they obviously don't understand anything about human suffering.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Not just Endless Eight, but the entire franchise. Way over-hyped, to the extreme that it has spawned its own religion. The characters are either obnoxious or nothing but Otaku-bait, the plot is not the most amazing thing ever, and the fans annoy me. I have not watched the movie but I would bet my life savings it isn't anywhere near as good as the ANN ranking suggests it is.

Anything by Type-Moon (except Tsukihime)
Tsukihime is the black sheep of the family but I thought it was okay. Fate/Stay Night wasn't good at all, especially when it came to Emiya and Archer. Archer was a fool who used swords instead of, you know, a bow and arrows, whereas Emiya is the very definition of "sexist idiot". Garden of Sinners is often boring as hell, obtuse for its own sake, filled with plot holes, and unable to stand on its own two feet. Seriously, there was nine hours of animation, and yet unless you are already familiar with the source material then almost nothing makes sense. But what I hate about Type-Moon works is the accompanying fans, who are so rabid they'll attempt - poorly - to explain away any plot hole they can't outright ignore.

Eureka seveN
I expected better than this from Bones. The first half of the series is painful to watch, the second wasn't much better. I ended up dropping it on episode thirty-five. Madman Entertainment's frankly abysmal release schedule for this show didn't help (there was more than a year-long gap between the fourth DVD and the fifth), but it wasn't worth the wait in the first place.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You seem to imply that their is an objective good in art above and beyond the subjective

No, I think it's a consensus of informed opinions. Otherwise calling something "good" is a claim that your opinion can be used by others as a description of the quality of the work. But of course people often use it simply to say that they like this or that. And that is a root for confusion and arguments. That is as meta as I am willing to go here.

What concerns your question (which is different from "most overrated"), in no particular order:

1) Death Note - I despised the main character so much that I couldn't enjoy all the mind games and tension that people tend to like.
2) Key/KyoAni shows - hated the art style and felt that those shows were too manipulative.
3) Cowboy Bebop - I guess I didn't care much for characters. It was a time well spent, but didn't have any lasting effect on me.
4) Redline - I thought I was watching Fast and Furious: The Animation. The animation part is superb though, imo.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
vegetatown wrote:

Top 5 Overrated:
1. Akira: I actually loved this anime when i first saw it, but over the years I have come to find that the story is actually not as complex as I had first assumed, and that the characters, save for tetsuo, are boring as hell. I still love the opening and the crisp animation, but honestly this film starts to lose a lot of its luster upon repeat viewings and it really leaves me kind of empty after watching it--neither stimulated, horrified, saddened, excited, nor challenged--which is really the worst way a film can leave you as it means you are very likely to forget it entirely unless someone else brings it up again in the future.

Finally, I see someone that shares the same opinion as I do! I like the movie, don't get me wrong, and I actually even own a copy of it myself, but it to me does not deserve as great of praise as it receives. I do see your point, I think that a lot of the characters (with the exception of Tetsuo) do not really develop in any sort of specific way. I also had the same feelings as far as the story line. My first watch through I was like "wow, that was a really deep philosophical kind of movie!" which made me happy, because those are my favorite when it comes to anime. Then as I watched it some time later, did some more research and stuff, I realized it wasn't actually as in-depth as I originally had thought. I think its a decent movie, but nothing to brag home about it. Would I watch it again? Yes. Would I watch it a few times a year? No.

dtm42 wrote:
Eureka seveN
I expected better than this from Bones. The first half of the series is painful to watch, the second wasn't much better. I ended up dropping it on episode thirty-five. Madman Entertainment's frankly abysmal release schedule for this show didn't help (there was more than a year-long gap between the fourth DVD and the fifth), but it wasn't worth the wait in the first place.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sad

Ggultra2764 wrote:

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion- Enough anime fans hold this mecha series in high regard yet with Hideaki Anno's questionable direction of the show's later episodes, plot holes galore and Shinji Ikari being a pathetic, whimpering mess of a lead character, I find myself wondering why enough folks worship the series

I can also agree with this, but only to a certain degree. As a huge fan of mecha, I know why I like this series. However, all things considered, many people will tell you the EVAs really didn't have that much to do with what the story was actually about. The story was actually watching the characters grow and come together, realize things about life, etc. I do agree though, I dislike Shinji and his whiny ways, and when I very first watched the series, I was a bit disappointed, but as days pass I seem to hold a higher regard to NGA. I do agree though that it might be given a bit more praise that what it actually deserves.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Every new anime that hits top 10 as soon as it has finished airing.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

ShiKi
I freaking hate this series, and yet all I hear from other people is just how wonderful it is. It isn't. Not only is it a badly paced show with poorly conceived characters and enough plot holes to march an army through, it also tries to hit us with a morality argument that is laughably awful. I mean, it is obvious whom the true villains were, anyone saying that both sides were at fault or were as bad as one another needs to get their humanity license renewed, because they obviously don't understand anything about human suffering.

Can't say I hate it, to be honest, but I agree that there really isn't any true moral equivalence involved between both parties. Having said this, I still found the series to be interesting as a look into how a community could react, for better or worse, to a threat that was both internal and external under the circumstances. This includes the inaction and stupidity of many villagers as part of said reaction, yes, but I'd also argue at least a couple of characters did keep things moving even at the slowest portions of the story. I wouldn't call Shiki a masterpiece or even a great series, but enough of it worked for me.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
2. Code Geass (both seasons)- Why enough folks crave this series enough where the second season currently ranks as one of the Top 10 Best Rated titles on ANN despite the fact this series has enough absurd and over-the-top moments where it has its own Narm page on TV Tropes boggles the mind for me.

Well, don't forget there's also a Crowning Moment of Awesome page that shares a fair amount of its content. So, if you want an answer in TV Tropes terms, then Rule of Cool, Refuge in Audacity, Narm Charm and, for the most cynical, even So Bad It's Good can all subjectively turn a lot of said Narm into something far more constructive. Of course, the opposite is true too.

It's no secret I like this series myself, for reasons that aren't limited to the above, yet I'm still not crazy enough to deny that all those high ratings are certainly absurd and make the show overrated (though, I dare say, also often overhated by those who despise it to a ridiculous degree). Then again, I believe more or less the same thing goes for many of the other series that rank too highly on the list. It's way too easy to pick a random entry and consider it as overrated.

All of which takes us back to the basic underlying issue with the voting / ranking system in the first place and why I continue to think it shouldn't be taken too seriously. For instance, I could make my own list of favorite shows without even trying to claim they are the "best" for everyone else, let alone give all of them a score of 10/10. But many others certainly feel the need to do so.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

ShiKi

I don't think that is the case. The reason why I love Shiki is because humans stood up for themselves. I enjoyed the brutality with which they were getting rid of the vampires, because the b@stards really deserved it. And from what I saw on the forums, not many people were saying that vampires were innocent victims- although they ended up spoiler[slaughtered]; they were a bunch of pathetic manipulators who got exactly what they deserved. The revenge was exactly what made me like Shiki. And I don't think the series tried to make a point that humans were at fault. What it showed was what CAN happen to people who are exhausted and desperate.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

Well, don't forget there's also a Crowning Moment of Awesome page that shares a fair amount of its content. So, if you want an answer in TV Tropes terms, then Rule of Cool, Refuge in Audacity, Narm Charm and, for the most cynical, even So Bad It's Good can all subjectively turn a lot of said Narm into something far more constructive. Of course, the opposite is true too.

It's no secret I like this series myself, for reasons that aren't limited to the above, yet I'm still not crazy enough to deny that all those high ratings are certainly absurd and make the show overrated (though, I dare say, also often overhated by those who despise it to a ridiculous degree). Then again, I believe more or less the same thing goes for many of the other series that rank too highly on the list. It's way too easy to pick a random entry and consider it as overrated.

I'm well aware that what I said in my claims is subjective. I'll admit that I did get a decent amount of enjoyment out of Code Geass' first season before all things got over the top towards the end and especially into R2. I've also had some fun ripping at some of the show's absurd moments through videos I made on YouTube. But I don't find both seasons to be anywhere near the very best that anime has to offer and it annoys me that there are folks who believe that both titles are among the best that the medium has to offer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rick Dom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Wing - Gonna get a lot of hate from people because of nostalgia, but this is an awful Gundam (worst 2, and that depends on how much you liked SEED Destiny) and a mediocre anime. The Gundam pilots are boring and have little to no character development, the main villain is the Char-iest Char-clone, consisting of all of Char's plot development from Gundam through Counterattack with none of Char's character development. The Gundams are just ugly. Its saved by the Tallgeese and grunt mobile suit designs (Hajime Katoki), soundtrack (TWO MIX and Kou Otani) and one good villain in Treize Kushrenada, who is rewarded for being a good villain by being absent for half the series. Go watch the original Gundam movie trilogy, then rewatch Wing and if you still think Wing is a good show after 10 episodes, I'll buy you a drink.

Death Note - What starts clever and amazing turns into "you know that I know that I know that you don't know" times infinity. There's a lot of people wanting more Death Note and all I can think is "why?"

Code Geass R2 - Now I love the first season, at least up to the point where Lelouch's eye changes and everything goes to hell for no reason other than the plot needed to be extended for a second season. Gone are the tense battles and clever tactics of R1, replaced by "surprise, its another overpowered Knightmare Frame to change the course of the battle!" Watching it weekly the cliffhangers were intense, now it just seems hokey. There were flashes of the original brilliance in the final handful of episodes, but it was too little too late.

Great Teacher Onizuka - Very funny, but it ran out of steam halfway through.

Everything by Kyoto Animation - As of late they've made beautifully animated series that don't make use of that animation quality. I'd love to see them put their skills to use in an action series.

The rankings here are less "what anime is good" and more "what anime is new and popular." With a few exceptions everything on that list is from the most recent decade, and anyone who says Steins;Gate or Usagi Drop are better than Legend of Galactic Heroes hasn't seen Legend of Galactic Heroes.
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
anyone who says Steins;Gate or Usagi Drop are better than Legend of Galactic Heroes hasn't seen Legend of Galactic Heroes.

here here. Sieg mein kaiser!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7