• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - How to Train Your Dragon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Almost sad, but not unexpected, to see that review of Milennium Dragon. I was thinking of grabbing it and watched the little preview on Amazon's site. "Looks rather bland, but the backgrounds are pretty."

Which leaves me far more worried about the Trigun review. Did the grainy appearance feel like an overly-forced effect, or just bad authoring? Also, personal peeve from the screening: did they fix the audio mix near the end, or is the dialog still completely blown-out by effects (when it shouldn't be?)
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I conclude that anime movies are made for an entirely different audience than series are made for. They're certainly made by a different process. Other than 3 or 4 Ghibli films, and Akira, I'd say there are no anime movies to equal the best series. Pretty pictures, sure. Three dimensional characters and resonant plot? Nope. Just not something they're interested in for this format.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Based on the "Can I loan this out to friends knowing they'll have a good time" criteria that Erin uses, I would say that the Trigun movie should be Shelf Worthy. I watched it with a bunch of friends who either didn't care for, or actively disliked anime, and we all had a great time with the movie. As a longtime fan, I was extremely satisfied.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Loved the Trigun movie. There's nothing wrong with being "just an extended episode of the TV series". Here's hoping Badlands Rumble will be seen as being on par with Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door someday. BTW I would place the movie into the anime timeline between episodes 11 and 12.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:
Based on the "Can I loan this out to friends knowing they'll have a good time" criteria that Erin uses, I would say that the Trigun movie should be Shelf Worthy. I watched it with a bunch of friends who either didn't care for, or actively disliked anime, and we all had a great time with the movie. As a longtime fan, I was extremely satisfied.

Bamboo did the article this week not Erin.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I was really hoping the "Noooooothing" under the Shelf-Worthy heading would link to that clip from Metalocalypse. Laughing

I had yet to see Paradise Lost, but the King of Eden movie was such a plodding morass of set-up, otherwise pretty useless, that this doesn't surprise me. Though far from perfect, I was completely satisfied with the ending to the TV series, so I couldn't care less whether the movies were made at all. I think the TV show wrapped up its stance on the game succinctly, and you can reasonably assume who "won" even if it hadn't officially ended. Movies quite frankly not needed.

...Then again, I said this about FMA too, and we got a movie AND a remake for that one, so maybe I'm just too easy to please. Anime hyper

Additionally, I agree with Bamboo 100% on the Trigun movie. It WAS disappointing for something that'd been floating around for 13 years. Totally forgettable Jump movie where the "episode-only" characters got more attention than the main cast. Coulda been done better. And so yes, I will complain about it, grumf grumf. Anime hyper

Well, I've only seen the series so far, not either movie, but yeah, the series did give me a "what happens next?" feeling, but I also felt it was a relatively satisfying ending in its own right. Nonetheless, I'd like to see the movies to figure out for myself if they really are as useless as has been said.

As for the Trigun movie, that is truly disappointing. Hopefully the FMA:B movie will fare better...
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Now is probably not the best time since Zac is likely too busy with the Preview Guide, but when he does finally get around to watching Paradise Lost, I hope he brings in Bamboo and Justin to have a discussion about it in an Anncast.

My reaction to the film was basically a combination of Bamboo's and Justin's which should give you some idea about how conflicted my feelings are toward it. I ended up giving it a 7/10 after the 8/10 for KoE and 9/10 for the series. The series is the only one I'm convinced actually deserves the score I gave it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
They really need to make a good anime solely about dragons again and actually hand draw them instead of CG copouts. -.-
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I conclude that anime movies are made for an entirely different audience than series are made for. They're certainly made by a different process. Other than 3 or 4 Ghibli films, and Akira, I'd say there are no anime movies to equal the best series. Pretty pictures, sure. Three dimensional characters and resonant plot? Nope. Just not something they're interested in for this format.

And Satoshi Kon films.

The problem is that movies are a different kind of thing than series. You can't direct a movie like you do a series, and vice versa. It pains me whenever I see an anime director direct a movie like he would a TV show. Uninspired compositions, lack of spatial awareness, pedestrian use of editing...movies tend to weed out the directors who have a true cinematic sense from those who are just workmanlike guys who are best at TV shows.

And since TV shows are about story first, a lot of otherwise uncinematic directors can succeed on the small screen.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I also don't care for Erin's wish for the series to be cancelled halfway through. Wishing for cancellation on any show bugs me since even if I don't like it, plenty of others do and I can just choose not to watch. I know Erin was probably joking, but after Firefly, Arrested Development, etc., it's not really something I find amusing.

That there is an understatment.

Though I really dont care about Arrested Development, however I did liked firefly and canceling a series half way through is kinda wrong,and to be honest , no anime studio will ever do that, not after the issuses with Big O.

Also the movies are fine , but at least Trigin Badlands Rumble should have gotten the Shelf Worthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
I also don't care for Erin's wish for the series to be cancelled halfway through. Wishing for cancellation on any show bugs me since even if I don't like it, plenty of others do and I can just choose not to watch. I know Erin was probably joking, but after Firefly, Arrested Development, etc., it's not really something I find amusing.

That there is an understatment.

Though I really don't care about Arrested Development, however I did liked firefly and canceling a series half way through is kinda wrong,

Well, rumor is Arrested Development may be on its way back, while The Simpsons may be on its way out.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
Nice user collection though Smile
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
eyeresist wrote:

And Satoshi Kon films.

The problem is that movies are a different kind of thing than series. You can't direct a movie like you do a series, and vice versa. It pains me whenever I see an anime director direct a movie like he would a TV show. Uninspired compositions, lack of spatial awareness, pedestrian use of editing...movies tend to weed out the directors who have a true cinematic sense from those who are just workmanlike guys who are best at TV shows.

And since TV shows are about story first, a lot of otherwise uncinematic directors can succeed on the small screen.

I would say you place awesome action sequences ahead of character and story, which is where my priorities lie. I hope you aren't going to argue that action is more important than character and story, because then we are going to have to fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2