• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sentai Filmworks Announces ICE Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
grooveygirl wrote:

Granted I haven't been to pleased with the state of anime dubbing as of late but I would rather pay $40.00 for a series with a bilingual track then to pay $40.00 for a series that was released as sub only.

I have to agree with this. Even though I've been disappointed with a lot of the dubs coming out lately, I still like having the option of watching shows in English. I'm just happy that some shows I like are actually getting dubbed. For the longest time, everything I was interested in came out sub-only. A large chunk still does.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Haha, some greenhorns and graduates of Clannad....... Laughing
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Yeeeeeeeah, Chris Patton is back but he's voicing a woman.

This is a gag dub. Rolling Eyes

I've also heard that ICE is terrible, so okay, maybe it'll be fun, but considering that's pretty much what Foster's been doing with non-gag dub material recently (Angel Beats!, Guin Saga, High School of the Dead,) I'm kind of annoyed. It seems like not taking anything seriously is the only thing he's good at and he just kinda gets paid to do it absolutely constantly.

Its like Steve Foster took one look at how popular gag dubs are on the internet, and decided that he would follow suit and return back to when he was in charge of dubs like Orphen. I can understand changing the script if it something like Sergeant Frog especially when it involves jokes that only japanese or hardcore american anime fans would get but Foster has simply reverted back to what he was doing 10 years ago. The millions of people who watch Dragonball Abridged are not going to watch professional gag dubs.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Yeeeeeeeah, Chris Patton is back but he's voicing a woman.

This is a gag dub. Rolling Eyes

You do realize in the Japanese dub Akira Ishida, a MALE seiyuu, voiced that female character as well thus preserving some original intent.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
@ JesuOtaku
you... you mean replacing key story/character development with cheap, out of place one-liners isn't considered an improvement to the dialog?? Rolling Eyes

seriously, with few exceptions, foster's dubs have never been good so i'm not sure where you're seeing this huge drop-off in quality; to me they sound as bad as they always have. he's just doing a higher percentage of sentai's dubs than he did for adv, hence the overall drop in quality. the only exceptions are when he's got someone watching him over his shoulder to veto his hack-jobs.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

One of Foster's strong points for me has always been casting.

right, like he insisted all the main characters in gilgamesh be beautiful young people. call me crazy, but i always thought talent was more important than looks when it came to voice acting.

i honestly hate that i can's un-know what an awful director steven foster is. i can no longer just sit back and enjoy shows he's worked on because i can't help myself from wondering what he's changed, and i find myself double checking anything that seems the least bit out of place.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:

dragonrider_cody wrote:

right, like he insisted all the main characters in gilgamesh be beautiful young people. call me crazy, but i always thought talent was more important than looks when it came to voice acting.

Ummm.. where did you get this steaming pile of crap from? Have you ever looked at the cast list? It's just ADV regulars like Shelley Black, Black Shepard, and Andy McAvin. The vast majority of the cast had been in several dubs prior to Gilgamesh, and many more after.

If you don't like a director, that's fine. But to suggest that the actors only got their jobs because of their looks is just offensive and uncalled for.

Regardless, I've almost always enjoyed Steven Foster's dubs. I don't believe everything has to an exact re-reading of the Japanese dialogue to be enjoyable.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I think it's been several years since I last heard that Chirs Patton dubbing any anime series. The last series I heard him in was Full Metal Panic and could have easily been four or more years ago.

I am going to bet this is a joke dub, as this series does not look like it's supposed to be taken very seriously at all.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wow, I think it's been several years since I last heard that Chirs Patton dubbing any anime series. The last series I heard him in was Full Metal Panic and could have easily been four or more years ago.

I am going to bet this is a joke dub, as this series does not look like it's supposed to be taken very seriously at all.

Chris Patton has been a ton of shows since Full Metal Panic. Most recently Demon King Daimao, Guin Saga, Linebarrels of Iron, Baccano, Tears to Tiara and Birdy the Mighty, among many, many others:

person#6336

Considering the Japanese dub also had males playing roles, I think the likely hood of this being a gag dub are fairly low.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Chris Patton has been a ton of shows since Full Metal Panic. Most recently Demon King Daimao, Guin Saga, Linebarrels of Iron, Baccano, Tears to Tiara and Birdy the Mighty, among many, many others:

person#6336

Considering the Japanese dub also had males playing roles, I think the likely hood of this being a gag dub are fairly low.

Well no wonder I haven't heard from him in years, I've never even heard of those series until now. The last time I heard him in any show was the third and potential series finale of Full Metal Panic TSR.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
call me crazy, but i always thought talent was more important than looks when it came to voice acting.

The Japanese would disagree with ya. They gotta sell those music CDs and stage performances - it's showbiz! Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Really surprised that this was picked up for release here. I'm even more surprised that it's being dubbed. I quite enjoyed this piece. Even though it had it's short comings. I'm definitely going to pick it up when it comes out.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
TJ_Kat wrote:

dragonrider_cody wrote:

Ummm.. where did you get this steaming pile of crap from?

in the on-disc extras. however, since i have no desire to wade through hours and hours of said extras to find steven foster's exact quote, i withdraw my statement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2