• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old Eva vs. New Eva.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethanftw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
hipnox wrote:
@ethanftw

Well, if what you enjoyed about the original EVA is the action and mech sequences, then yeah, Rebuild does trim a lot of the "fat" away.
I'll admit that the fight with Ramiel (The one with the positron rifle) look 10x times better and felt 10x more epic in Rebuild than in NGE, but it was the climax of the movie, so i guess it was expected to be that way. In NGE its just another angel fight (granted, one of the most memorable). Too bad the fight with Leliel (the zebra sphere) is not in Rebuild. I consider it to be one of the better angels in NGE.

Regarding the finale of the original series, even today after a few rewatches both NGE and the movie The End of Evangelion i still don't really understand the whole thing. I am curious though as to what route will the Rebuild take. Will it show spoiler[the attack on Nerv] like in the movie, or will it take us into LSD land like in Eps 25 and 26? A mix of both perhaps?

First of all, I just realized in my last pots I continued to put NGA instead of NGE. Confused Apparently I can't spell.

Anyway, continuing on. Yes, I thought that they did make the fight with Ramiel way more epic, and since the newer technology with the movies as opposed to the series, they were able to make it much more flashy. However, you bring up another good point. There was no fight with Leliel, who I think was the 12th angel (someone check me on that). Anyway, some of the fights were taken out, which kind of sucked because instead of going through all the fights with all of the angels, they decided to only focus on a few fights and more it more epic. That's a personal call on whether that's a good or bad thing. It's like asking quantity over quality.

Regarding the ending of the series. This was my only huge complaint. You are right, the ending is INSANELY confusing. It's like a bad acid trip and unless you really focus and pay attention and do a little thinking of your own, you can't understand it. Which makes me hope that they won't do that with the movies. Not because I didn't like it but because with all that they are leaving out from the movies, newcomers to the series are going to find it even harder to understand without seeing the original series. I'm also hoping its more clear cut so that people that were confused about the series can actually understand what's going on towards the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2